Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's weird how much homosexuality is looked down upon in this game considering everyone was sticking everything into every hole back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Small bug involving the event tree where you are invited to a sponsored conversion land to peep the hot changes going on with the mass conversion. I'm not sure why this even fired in the first place because I have been constantly refusing to sponsor this one county duke scrub that I aim to absorb once I don't have a million nation defensive pact on me. The wife of the slavic duke was an english princess who was catholic. She invited me to take a tour of christian chernigov and I made friends with her. Her husband died and another slav brother took over and continued the rich tradition of begging for conversion sponsorship. Finally decided to agree and they went through the mass conversion. This ended up with her converting from christianity... to christianity. First pentacostal adherent!

- Invite to tour the progress of conversion fires despite refusing to sponsor conversion requests
- Realm people will convert on the mass conversion even if they are already that religion. Possibly an issue if there are other events that trigger based on the religion flag changing, regardless of what they change to.

Thanks for taking my bug report paradox.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

If you're playing pagan, Divine marriage is essential for smoothly getting bloodlines integrated
Nnnnot really. You just need to be pruning and planting a bit more at the start: thanks to the Elder succession constantly giving me old, dumb shits that I planted in various places with lots of dynastic prestige, I've been working on getting a bunch of founded bloodlines

Your own dynasty is fine with intermarriage so long as you're a bit far off anyway

Doltos posted:

It's weird how much homosexuality is looked down upon in this game considering everyone was sticking everything into every hole back then
Ehh, the Abrahamics definitely took it more seriously but no-one in the current map really liked it, as far as I know

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So what, exactly? Marry a daughter to a bloodline, then matrilineally marry your heir’s son to your daughter’s daughter? Won’t you lose your titles that way?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Doltos posted:

This game has never been about something being overpowered. After a couple playthroughs we pretty much all know the ways to cheese this game. It's about creating your own storylines and narratives in your head.

I wouldn't ever want to run an Immortal Warrior Lodge character because that just doesn't sound like fun. Or I'd run it and try to make him seduce every single queen possible over thousands of years and spread my genepool across the entire map. Actually that sounds like fun.

Yeah I've been doing a run as an immortal warrior

Emperor Sonic Hedgehog of DeviantArt

The Mongols are the one thing that stands in his way as of 1066 (game was an 867 start). Everyone else is either allied with DeviantArt, getting hosed hilariously, or both.

I murdered my own son in a duel because he was my heir and he sucked and I thought that was going to matter. 150 years later, Emperor Sonic still rests atop his spiny horde.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I would have been able to reform if not for the century of constant raids looting my temples. Viking Khans go away

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fat Samurai posted:

So what, exactly? Marry a daughter to a bloodline, then matrilineally marry your heir’s son to your daughter’s daughter? Won’t you lose your titles that way?

I've been finding sons of targeted bloodlines that will accept an invitation to court, then matrilineally marrying them to my sisters. They keep the bloodlines of both parents that way. The only hard part is that for some of the smaller bloodlines, like some of the ones floating around the British Isles, is that they really don't want to move, so I end up having to conquer their lands.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Well I did a thing, everybody. I made some bad decisions, and well...

Don't ever say yes to revisiting old laws.

EDIT: yay I showed the thing

Panderfringe fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 18, 2018

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Oh no, is that what happens if you try for the bugged bloodline or what?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Loving this interaction between the Immortal and Lunatic traits

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So I think I just found an ironman compatible way to make the capital of your merchant republic any county in the world. It's a two step procedure.

1. You have to make a barony your capital holding, which is good practice in any republic run, as it allows your retinues to get the benefits of cultural buildings. You do this by using the "move to your de jure capital" mechanic. It's easiest at the duke level. If your primary title is a duchy with a coastal de jure capital, you can move your capital there for free. If you own no cities in that county, you can still move there, and the barony will be the capital holding of your republic. It works fine for generations provided you never get a city holding in that county again.

2. This is where things get fucky. Once you have a barony as the capital of your republic, when your ruler dies, it seems now your capital will only stay in the same county if you have no county level republics in your personal demense. If you do, then that county will become your new capital, seemingly regardless of where the gently caress that is. Even if it's inland.

I'm gonna do some testing and post some pics here in a bit to explain it a little better. The potential here if it works is pretty huge, and would open up things like an ironman game as the merchant republic of baghdad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Panderfringe posted:

Well I did a thing, everybody. I made some bad decisions, and well...

Don't ever say yes to revisiting old laws.

EDIT: yay I showed the thing

Seems pretty doable so long as the rebels don't try to join eachothers' battles.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

No, you're marrying a dude into your dynasty matrilineally, then using the kids of that union to get them in. If they're patrilineal, you can just matrimarry any daughters into your mainline and so long as they aren't landed it works out fine, as all they'll get is her bloodlines, culture and religion. You still raise them.

Basically, matrimarriages keep all bloodlines from both sides, even if it doesn't really make a lot of sense, but you need the lady to be of your dynasty, to keep things in the family

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Chalks posted:

Loving this interaction between the Immortal and Lunatic traits

It occurs to me that a horse should probably get some kind of personal combat bonus on account of being a horse. I wouldn't like to fight a horse, even if you gave me a sword.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol

still get connected to capital bonuses on the silk road.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

lol

still get connected to capital bonuses on the silk road.

ffffff

you are making me regret already having made a merchant republic with my dynasty in sous

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What's the best reformed pagan (non-Aztecs) faith for merchant republics, and which reforms are the best? Polygamy for sure, which else?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

No, you're marrying a dude into your dynasty matrilineally, then using the kids of that union to get them in. If they're patrilineal, you can just matrimarry any daughters into your mainline and so long as they aren't landed it works out fine, as all they'll get is her bloodlines, culture and religion. You still raise them.

Basically, matrimarriages keep all bloodlines from both sides, even if it doesn't really make a lot of sense, but you need the lady to be of your dynasty, to keep things in the family

Little bit of incest, got it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is there a way to destroy holdings in a county you own as a Christian? I really want to keep Rome as my capital, but it has three of its six slots taken up by useless rear end churches

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fat Samurai posted:

Little bit of incest, got it.

Depends. If your most recent common ancestor is your great grandfather, it's basically no incest anymore.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sydin posted:

Is there a way to destroy holdings in a county you own as a Christian? I really want to keep Rome as my capital, but it has three of its six slots taken up by useless rear end churches
There's a method for this specific case, and it's "reform the Roman empire."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No reason whatsoever to have an inland trade republic that doesn't sit on a trade route, but that should really emphasize just how broad your options are. Literally anywhere.

Torrannor posted:

What's the best reformed pagan (non-Aztecs) faith for merchant republics, and which reforms are the best? Polygamy for sure, which else?

I think wives take the place of concubines, don't they? I know they are in the same place in the character relations menu. Polygamy is pretty useless as a republic if so. Astrology is important for access to the hermetics, magnum opi, tech, etc. I also took stability which has been nice to add stats to rulers and heirs. Over the next few weeks we might learn more about different events that pop up for different doctrines, and some of those might add a bunch of economic tech, which would make that the best, but other than that it just seems like flavor choices. I know as a West African I have intrigue options to pick a patron diety and worship the ancestors, which both have routes to boost republic stuff, but I think that's accessible to all pagans.

Sydin posted:

If you aren't on ironman, there's always the destroy_settlement command

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Whats the fastest way to reform the norse religion, when starting as Sjælland? Is it possible to do it before I die to avoid gavelkind splintering my realm?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Dizzy posted:

Whats the fastest way to reform the norse religion, when starting as Sjælland? Is it possible to do it before I die to avoid gavelkind splintering my realm?

pagan subjugate one of uppland or naumadal, fabricate a claim on the other, and then raid the poo poo out of ireland/scotland to boost your moral authority.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Strudel Man posted:

There's a method for this specific case, and it's "reform the Roman empire."

Time to play the long game then.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I've got most of the British Isles under control now as the Empire of Britannia, now how do I deal with mega-Francia sitting on the other side of the channel? all their 7 king titles have the same line of succession so I doubt I can whack their king and let gavelkind do the rest and the pope wants me to go to war with them before he'll crown me. Do I wait 100 years until I can use my crusade megabux to drown them in mercenaries?

Also, what kind of building do I fill the other slots in my home duchy with? Castles(and if so, direct control or under a baron?) or cities?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man, that "refill an entire holding's personal levies" button you get from Warrior Lodges is insanely powerful. Usually I'm loathe to use my personal levies because they seem to refill a lot slower than my vassals', but now I can throw them around like candy and refill them instantly with a pittance of Renown.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Man, the rulership focus just doesn't seem to work at all anymore. I'm the ruler of the Roman Empire, with 47 vassals, been sitting on rulership for about a decade? And I haven't seen a single related event for it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I do wish artifacts/items didn't randomly get destroyed on succession. I spent a fortune having a badass war mask made and yeah mysteriously vanishes when I die. You would think that would be a fairly important thing to write into the will!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

I do wish artifacts/items didn't randomly get destroyed on succession. I spent a fortune having a badass war mask made and yeah mysteriously vanishes when I die. You would think that would be a fairly important thing to write into the will!
Honestly, that, alongside factions and societies is just gonna have to wait until CK3, where it can be integrated from the start. The current flood of events where flooding destroys them loving sucks too but literally having an entire treasury of trash about is also kinda, overpowered, if nothing else.

About the only thing left that succession needs is a will mechanic tbh

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dongattack posted:

"The liege looks good for his age, i hope i look as good when im 1000 :downs:"
"You don't find that a bit suspicions?"
"Nah i'll tell you what's suspicious, I THINK JARL VOLGRIM MIGHT BE HAVING THE BUMSEX"

Its great. I keep popping out kids but their oldest siblings died centuries ago

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Phi230 posted:

Its great. I keep popping out kids but their oldest siblings died centuries ago

I hate how cluttered my family tab got, having 100 children makes it near impossible to click on any individual character.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Strudel Man posted:

Man, the rulership focus just doesn't seem to work at all anymore. I'm the ruler of the Roman Empire, with 47 vassals, been sitting on rulership for about a decade? And I haven't seen a single related event for it.

I've always thought it did nothing but give you a stress event, like that was the entire point of picking it.

E:

That, and the pig event for 2 ducats or whatever.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
One of my vassals went for a Holy War against the Kingdom of Denmark (our neighbour) and - predictably - got utterly smashed well past the point where 100% would have kicked in.
And the the King of Denmark got himself captured in the last battle and my vassal won.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
there isn't a kind of hereditary memory for traits right? Like when I get the incest baby for bloodlines I'm not going to end up with Charles II 5 generations later because the game remembers?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Is there ever a reason to not pick temporal when reforming? I don't see the advantage of handing off the power to someone else.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Honestly, that, alongside factions and societies is just gonna have to wait until CK3, where it can be integrated from the start. The current flood of events where flooding destroys them loving sucks too but literally having an entire treasury of trash about is also kinda, overpowered, if nothing else.

About the only thing left that succession needs is a will mechanic tbh

Yeah. I guess the obvious solution would be assigning some value to each item and having a maximum amount you can allocate to each of your children, so they naturally spread out. I really like the idea of making some badass sword or whatever then seeing where it ends up 500 years later through inheritance and war. Combined with bloodlines it could do some really cool stuff w/r extra bonuses for acquiring a legendary ancestor's weapon etc

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Asproigerosis posted:

there isn't a kind of hereditary memory for traits right? Like when I get the incest baby for bloodlines I'm not going to end up with Charles II 5 generations later because the game remembers?

The inbreeding traits are special because the odds of getting them are based on a formula that looks at shared ancestors between the two parents, so the more inbred a family tree is, the more likely it is to show up on children.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Has anyone getting a bug where you randomly start losing 1/2 of your un-rasied levies? I was at peace for 5 years, no moving armies around, no raiding, and right before I went to declare war again, I lost half of my manpower.

e: nevermind, I figured it out. When I left to go visit a nation that had converted, my regent took over and his terrible military and stewradship caused me to be over demense limit and so my max troop count fell by 1/2....this also explains why it kept happening to my previous ruler...

BigRoman fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ThomasPaine posted:

It seems like a lot of people play CK2 stock, but if you don't mind no achievements...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=929954942

Dramicus posted:

Is there ever a reason to not pick temporal when reforming? I don't see the advantage of handing off the power to someone else.

I took it in my Roman Empire game, and the succession has been kinda fucky. It claims to have the same inheritance rules as the empire (imperial elective or w/e), but I can't nominate anyone. It defaults to my firstborn son, which has made keeping the two titles together a little dicey at times. It worked as expected in my Norse game, though.