Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

...the hell is wrong with Indigenous Peoples day?

i was wondering what that poster's beef was, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Fulchrum posted:

No beef with that and maybe I'm being over sensitive here I'm just sick of the hot take parade. I'm already seeing some dipshit site taking that tweet and spinning it into how she actually hates natives

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's always weird seeing people care about Columbus day because my state doesn't recognize it or indigenous peoples say. We just don't have any holiday then.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

It's always weird seeing people care about Columbus day because my state doesn't recognize it or indigenous peoples say. We just don't have any holiday then.

its not a national holiday? lol, that's pretty funny

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Rex-Goliath posted:

No beef with that and maybe I'm being over sensitive here I'm just sick of the hot take parade. I'm already seeing some dipshit site taking that tweet and spinning it into how she actually hates natives

Don't let them sink their talons in too deep into ya. Some Alex Jones clone will always try to spin any good news as the worst and most horrible traitor possible. (And that counts FOX news!)

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 18, 2018

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/368849-biden-on-young-people-complaining-they-have-it-tough-give-me-a

The Hill posted:

Former Vice President Joe Biden pushed back this week on millennials who say they have it tough, saying he does not sympathize with them.

"The younger generation now tells me how tough things are. Give me a break. No, no, I have no empathy for it. Give me a break," Biden, 75, told The Los Angeles Times earlier this week.
Gives no fucks about young people. Made it so you can't discharge student debt. Gives medals to war criminals and is a creep around children. This is the least bad centrist? LOL gently caress Joe Biden

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RaySmuckles posted:

its not a national holiday? lol, that's pretty funny

It's a federal holiday but that only really matters for federal employees

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/368849-biden-on-young-people-complaining-they-have-it-tough-give-me-a

Gives no fucks about young people. Made it so you can't discharge student debt. Gives medals to war criminals and is a creep around children. This is the least bad centrist? LOL gently caress Joe Biden

i don't think anybody is saying this

unless we have people who think eg Harris and Booker aren't centrists, which i'd enjoy seeing argued in this thread

longer quote from the article, not that i'm a bidenliker (for 2020) :ohdear::

quote:

"The younger generation now tells me how tough things are. Give me a break. No, no, I have no empathy for it. Give me a break," Biden, 75, told The Los Angeles Times earlier this week.

"Because here's the deal guys, we decided we were gonna change the world. And we did. We did. We finished the civil rights movement in the first stage. The women's movement came to be," he continued.

"So my message is, get involved. There's no place to hide. You can go and you can make all the money in the world, but you can't build a wall high enough to keep the pollution out. You can't live where — you can't not be diminished when your sister can't marry the man or woman, or the woman she loves. You can't — when you have a good friend being profiled, you can't escape this stuff."

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

It's a federal holiday but that only really matters for federal employees

gotcha, thanks

edit: even the full biden quote isn't very good. "finished the civil rights movement in the first stage?" well, glad that's all been wrapped up then

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

I just said the guy is charismatic. :shrug:

A bit irrelevant on the Hitler-Hanks spectrum.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

KickerOfMice posted:

I just said the guy is charismatic. :shrug:

not saying that this is you, but its amazing how many people think onion joe is actual joe biden

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

unless we have people who think eg Harris and Booker aren't centrists, which i'd enjoy seeing argued in this thread

That some :jerkbag: poo poo to talk about "we" with the Civil Rights movement there given his loving history.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RaySmuckles posted:

gotcha, thanks

edit: even the full biden quote isn't very good. "finished the civil rights movement in the first stage?" well, glad that's all been wrapped up then

i basically agree, i just like for us to have more information about the things we're mad about when we're not just venting

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

RaySmuckles posted:

not saying that this is you, but its amazing how many people think onion joe is actual joe biden

It was a funny character though. :colbert: *speeds off in a badass trans-am*

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

None of that quote sounds good, and that second part is just neoliberal trumplike dementia

Also are we really going to let 75 year olds lecture us about marriage equality? I remember the last twenty years and it wasn’t lgbtq getting help from the senior citizens.

This was the generation that “evolved” on gay marriage, not long after they finally had accepted biological evolutionary theory as well.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 18, 2018

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You're an old white guy who'd like another old white to be in power again, that's normal

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's completely fair to say Joe Biden's stance is "gently caress them kids" considering he basically put the phrase into legislation with the student loan crap.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fulchrum posted:

if there was a 'Hitler Day' and someone decided to fix it by calling it 'Jewish People's Day' I'd be pretty annoyed. Just delete the day and give people a day not connected to the dude what killed them

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/tucsonpeck/status/1063882272452038656?s=21

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I was listening to an economist on NPR the other day who actually made the point that, ironically, the insurance industry may end up being our saviors, because only they have the immense lobbying power necessary to, uh... "encourage" politicians to do something meaningful about climate change. Basically, once their profits start tanking, they will start refusing to insure certain people, and that will result in massive amounts of civil unrest.

Not just the poors either. For example, most beachfront property in Florida is about ~25 years from being uninsurable, which will start being reflected in prices soon.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

I was listening to an economist on NPR the other day who actually made the point that, ironically, the insurance industry may end up being our saviors, because only they have the immense lobbying power necessary to, uh... "encourage" politicians to do something meaningful about climate change. Basically, once their profits start tanking, they will start refusing to insure certain people, and that will result in massive amounts of civil unrest.

NPR has really gone to poo poo with thier reporting, and I used to be a big fan. I could make the same argument about my turkey-spinach meatballs. It could work!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

KickerOfMice posted:

NPR has really gone to poo poo with thier reporting, and I used to be a big fan. I could make the same argument about my turkey-spinach meatballs. It could work!

What?

Are you not familiar with what happens when insurance companies refuse to insure certain groups of people?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KickerOfMice posted:

Hoo boy...I remember I listened to a few episodes of the NPR politics podcast in 2016, and it was execrable. It was basically entirely, "LOL, did you hear about this CRAZY thing that Trump said? It was CRAZY! Let's talk about how CRAZY it was for thirty minutes but also deliberately not call what he said bad or racist or fascistic or really cast any value judgments upon it. We're serious centrists!!!" It was like a satirical caricature of CNN's coverage of the election. Only not.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

What?

Are you not familiar with what happens when insurance companies refuse to insure certain groups of people?

Not in this instance, educate me, please.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The federal government will step in to back policies to prop up real estate prices before they let ol whitey take it on the chin on their beachfront property.

Edit: I could see massive civic projects to reclaim private land lost to sea level rise to be honest.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

KickerOfMice posted:

Not in this instance, educate me, please.

"pre-existing conditions"

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

"pre-existing conditions"

Well you know very well how I think about that, dumbass. M4A. :pwn:

I mean, the idea (NPR GUEST) that The insurance industry is going to be our savior. Cmon.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 18, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

KickerOfMice posted:

I think we're talking past each other then?

What I'm saying is that the whole pre-existing conditions debate shows us how people feel about insurance companies refusing to provide coverage for certain groups of people.

Climate change will cause the exact same issue, except with other types of insurance. 25 years from now we will be having the flood/hurricane/etc. insurance version of today's pre-existing condition debate.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

KickerOfMice posted:

I mean, the idea (NPR GUEST) that The insurance industry is going to be our savior. Cmon.

I mean, even oil companies are starting to publicly sound the alarm about climate change.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

I think we're talking past each other then?

What I'm saying is that the whole pre-existing conditions debate shows us how people feel about insurance companies refusing to provide coverage for certain groups of people.

Climate change will cause the exact same issue, except with other types of insurance. 25 years from now we will be having the flood/hurricane/etc. insurance version of today's pre-existing condition debate.

Yeaaah that flew over my head. Hmm. that's actually a good question, let me think about it.

Would you link the interview?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Isn't beachfront property insured by the federal government because no private insurance company would ever issue flood insurance at anything like an affordable rate

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1064245710747590657

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

KickerOfMice posted:

Yeaaah that flew over my head. Hmm. that's actually a good question, let me think about it.

Would you link the interview?

I don't have it handy, sorry. It was on the radio while I was driving, about a month ago.

But there are many sources that describe this phenomenon, example: https://www.wsj.com/graphics/climate-change-forcing-insurance-industry-recalculate/

quote:

Changing risk probabilities may make some areas uninsurable altogether, or at least so risky the cost would be prohibitively expensive for insurance buyers, executives say.

Allianz, one of the world’s largest insurers, says it sold the retail business of U.S. insurer Fireman’s Fund Insurance Co. in 2015 in part because climate change is increasing the risk of losses to coastal homes in California and Florida.

“Coastal flooding will clearly become a bigger issue in the long term,” Swiss Re’s Mr. Schmid says. “We can offer protection for hurricane losses or flood losses or other perils, but if certain coastal areas are so exposed, insurance becomes no longer viable. It becomes even uninsurable.”

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

I mean, even oil companies are starting to publicly sound the alarm about climate change.

They have? Do you have any links to press releases or articles about that?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

So what Fox show did a scary caravan special this morning?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jealous Cow posted:

The federal government will step in to back policies to prop up real estate prices before they let ol whitey take it on the chin on their beachfront property.

Edit: I could see massive civic projects to reclaim private land lost to sea level rise to be honest.

the WPA, except instead of building post offices and dams we're building mansions for rich people castles for our feudal lords

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

They have? Do you have any links to press releases or articles about that?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/20/exxonmobil-joins-oil-gas-climate-change-alliance-global-warming

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Isn't beachfront property insured by the federal government because no private insurance company would ever issue flood insurance at anything like an affordable rate

Yes.

enraged_camel is wrong to compare refusing cover pre-existing conditions with refusing to insure land that will soon be underwater. Regardless of you opinion on personal responsibility, when the government covers all the costs of rebuilding a home destroyed by hurricanes every five years, people keep building more homes in the same at risk locations. The result is the level of risk and liability progressively increases, and the costs continue to spiral. Worse still, the political will to change course because ever more scarce. By making people pay market rates for insurance and eliminating perverse incentives, we can encourage appropriate climate adaptation.

Unfortunately a lot of people aren't equipped to properly judge the real risk of a property. That's why its important the true costs are presented upfront before they buy. It's regrettable that there are already people in places at risk that would be ruined by changing the prices. However if we continue as things are now for their benefit, it will be at the expense of someone else. Maybe some kind of compensation is in order, but we have to make coastal real estate match the true social cost.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

I don't have it handy, sorry. It was on the radio while I was driving, about a month ago.

But there are many sources that describe this phenomenon, example: https://www.wsj.com/graphics/climate-change-forcing-insurance-industry-recalculate/

This is very good. It's import we begin climate mitigation as fast as possible, and disincentivizing development in the highest risk locations is a good way to start. We should also discourage people from rebuilding structures in locations that are frequently destroyed in large storms and floods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Nelson is going to concede at 3 today; the gap in votes narrowed to 10k between him and Scott after all the recounts are in.

I wish I had more of a reaction to this, but its Florida, so never hope