Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Pattonesque posted:

The Citadel DLC was already very light on references to the war (except the part where Anderson calls you from the ongoing techno-genocide that is Earth to give you the keys to his sweet pad, lol) and the tone is basically like ... an apology? I read it as "hey, sorry, we're not gonna change the ending but if you wanna pretend this is the real ending we're gonna make it easy for you"
I feel like it's an apology by way of the ending we should have gotten, so pretty close to your read. Also I don't get people who complain it's too fanservicey. Like, isn't that the whole goddamn point? It's the last DLC for the last entry in a series (at the time, anyway) and since vanilla ME3 tried to strip out as many past references as possible all the in-jokes are a payoff for longtime fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm sorry, there's no damned way I could get emotionally invested in Legion. He's a robot that you barely interact with over the course of the two games he's in.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also, here we get a re-write of the entire Geth motivation for the third time in three games. It's legitimately impressive that the motivation of the Geth and their goal changed every game.

In the first they're just robot followers of "villain". In the second we get Legion explaining those were heretics and the true Geth just want peace and to all live together in a big hive mind. In this game they failed the previous thing and in the end decide each Geth program needs to be sentient to be true AI for "reasons".

This isn't exactly it but it's what each game amounts to for the Geth and it's really bizarre that Bioware didn't nail down their motivation and end point for the Geth until the very last time they matter, given how supposedly essential the Geth vs Quarians was meant to be for the overall message this game claims to have.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It's a shame, because the ME2 Geth were a really interesting concept, and then that all gets thrown out for 3 and now they're just standard sci-fi sapient robots.

I really wish we'd gotten the ME2 where the Geth rebuild Shepard instead of Cerberus - both to see more of that version of the Geth, and also to stop Cerberus taking over the story the way they did.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
they couldn't keep robot motivation consistent within the same game!

when you talk a lot to EDI and make her feel part of the crew she says "now I feel truly alive"

but if you do Synthesis she says "NOW I feel truly alive"

Synthesis bad

Malah
May 18, 2015

Legion gets a taste of that good ol' free will and decides it's so fuckin' rad that he should share it with everyone.

The Geth went for the space hive because it was the best option for them at the time; they only took the Reaper upgrade afterward because it was the only option left at the time. The space hive was to sustain the geth closest to AI as possible within their VI limits. Legion's cracked Reaper upgrade broke that limit and achieved true sentience, for all geth, without any strings attached or middlemen required.

The Reapers actually scored a critical self-own here because their entire conceit is that the galactic resets are necessary because AI will overthrow organics, but as soon as the geth steal it for themselves they immediately put down their arms, extend amnesty to their jackass creators (once they stop shooting first), and establish diplomatic relations with galactic society. The game really should have made more of this.

Malah fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 17, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Malah posted:

their entire conceit is that the galactic resets are necessary because AI will overthrow organics
That would be a lot less loving stupid if they weren't AI's constantly overthrowing organics. In order to stop machines from taking over and killing everyone we built these massive murder machines to take over and kill everyone over and over. :downs:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'd like to imagine the quarians got assigned to a dunce reaper since they practically kill themselves. Especially since it goes on about how all organics must die while the reapers are known to leave unadvanced species be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

I'd like to imagine the quarians got assigned to a dunce reaper since they practically kill themselves. Especially since it goes on about how all organics must die while the reapers are known to leave unadvanced species be.

There's an unspoken "eventually" in the Rannoch Reaper's line of "every organic civilization must be harvested..." It definitely reads as a holdover from the original scrapped ending where the mass effect itself was unraveling the fabric of the universe and the Reapers were a last-ditch stopgap to erase any civilization that figured out how to use it just to try and keep the lights on a little while longer.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
wait, that's the plot the writers threw out in the hissy fit? That's better than what I'd heard before (just vague stuff about dark matter). I'd love to know how something like that is resolved; but I guess we'll never know.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, they threw it out when the players sort of pieced it together themselves after all the hints dropped in ME2.

Apparently we were too smart for them and they really really wanted us to be surprised.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NullBlack posted:

wait, that's the plot the writers threw out in the hissy fit? That's better than what I'd heard before (just vague stuff about dark matter). I'd love to know how something like that is resolved; but I guess we'll never know.

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, they threw it out when the players sort of pieced it together themselves after all the hints dropped in ME2.

Apparently we were too smart for them and they really really wanted us to be surprised.

Yeah, the original ending was something like the mass effect itself was creating excess dark matter that was unraveling the fabric of the universe and accelerating heat death, leading to wonky poo poo like the star at Haestrom from Tali's ME2 recruitment mission being on the verge of going supernova billions of years too early. I've no idea how they would have resolved it, and knowing BioWare's writing team, I don't think they could have, but yeah, it was a WAY better ending than the Walters-Hudson Closet Weekend Hissyfit Ending, but it will always be the one that got away...

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 17, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

IIRC the two endings were going to be Allow the sentients of this cycle to be harvested secure in the knowledge that the combined knowledge of everyone will solve the problem for future generations or kill off the reapers and pray to god that you guys can figure out a way to fix it on your own.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kurieg posted:

IIRC the two endings were going to be Allow the sentients of this cycle to be harvested secure in the knowledge that the combined knowledge of everyone will solve the problem for future generations or kill off the reapers and pray to god that you guys can figure out a way to fix it on your own.

Honestly, you could have turned that ending into a decent parable for anthropocentric climate change. Like, have the same three options at the end, but instead of RED, BLUE, GREEN, have the choices be like a) Accept that the Reapers are right and condemn galactic civilization as we know it to extinction for the sake of generations yet to come. b) Fight back anyway because gently caress You, Got Mine, we deserve to live the way we've always been living, gently caress the planet universe. Or, c) Make the HARD CHOICE to try and uproot the core element of what modern life is based on so that it can keep living and the Reapers won't have to kill everyone anymore without the Mass Effect.

It might have worked, but knowing Gamers, they'd have bitched anyway, so who cares.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I don't want to get too deep into ending discussion lest the thread start looking like a CIA document.
The thing that annoyed me a lot is how drat near petulant the game is about you not sacrificing shepherd like they want you to. Since the Red ending shows the relays blowing up and the starchild talks about how all your friends rely on reaper technology and now they're all gonna die.
Also that a race of robots 3d-printed out of meat slurry are completely flabbergasted by cybernetics as something new and fantastic that also conveniently solves all of their problems instantly.

Before the extended cut though, I wasn't mad about the endings, just disappointed. They seemed awfully short and low effort but I had enjoyed the game up until that point. All the Extended Cut served to do is draw attention to how utterly rushed they were without actually addressing much beyond a "where are they now" slideshow.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Poil posted:

That would be a lot less loving stupid if they weren't AI's constantly overthrowing organics. In order to stop machines from taking over and killing everyone we built these massive murder machines to take over and kill everyone over and over. :downs:
Yuuuup. It would have made a lot more sense if they went out and destroyed all the AI's instead, like taking away a misbehaving child's toy. "No, now you've gone and hosed up. You're grounded from playing with robits." I guess whoever programmed the Reapers forgot about stack overflows or whatever.

e: "3d printed from meat slurry" is now my new fave description of the Reapers :haw:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yuuuup. It would have made a lot more sense if they went out and destroyed all the AI's instead, like taking away a misbehaving child's toy. "No, now you've gone and hosed up. You're grounded from playing with robits." I guess whoever programmed the Reapers forgot about stack overflows or whatever.

e: "3d printed from meat slurry" is now my new fave description of the Reapers :haw:

That’s one of the kind of respect Leviathan for, is getting the chance to call out their dipshittery of “oops, we made a perpetual genocide machine... intentionally(?)”.

It’s mildly cathartic.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

That’s one of the kind of respect Leviathan for, is getting the chance to call out their dipshittery of “oops, we made a perpetual genocide machine... intentionally(?)”.

It’s mildly cathartic.

in Leviathan there should have been an option to, once you get out of mind control range, launch a shitload of relativistic kill vehicles at the Leviathan planet because those guys suck and will just cause problems even if you win

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Leviathan reducing the Reapers to paperclip maximizers did defang them somewhat, even moreso than the starchild did.

quote:

You're welcome :D

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Do we really need this many spoilers for a 6 year old game?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

grack posted:

Do we really need this many spoilers for a 6 year old game?

I just started doing it for stuff related to the scrapped ending, just in case people didn't want to read it or know about it for whatever reason. I appear of have started a trend though...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
We do have some people in the thread that haven't played the trilogy. Everyone feel free to spoil Synthesis though as it's loving stupid and no one should choose it ever.

nine-gear crow posted:

There's an unspoken "eventually" in the Rannoch Reaper's line of "every organic civilization must be harvested..." It definitely reads as a holdover from the original scrapped ending where the mass effect itself was unraveling the fabric of the universe and the Reapers were a last-ditch stopgap to erase any civilization that figured out how to use it just to try and keep the lights on a little while longer.
Which is even more loving stupid because the goddamn Reapers made the mass relays :downs: Like if those are the problem just blow them up instead of using them to kickstart your invasions and also leaving them around for species to find on purpose.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

We do have some people in the thread that haven't played the trilogy. Everyone feel free to spoil Synthesis though as it's loving stupid and no one should choose it ever.

I dislike Synthesis a lot too. It tries being a pat "feel good" ending where the only sacrifice is Shepard (well, whomever died getting to the Citadel but w/e) but it doesn't really work on that level. The implication behind it is pretty jacked up.

Supposedly it was the preferred ending by the Bioware staff. I dunno where exactly I read that because i'm on like 3 hours worth of sleep, but supposedly it was written into the game code itself.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Which is even more loving stupid because the goddamn Reapers made the mass relays :downs: Like if those are the problem just blow them up instead of using them to kickstart your invasions and also leaving them around for species to find on purpose.
"Reapers as space cops creating problems to justify their own violence" should have been an angle they went in on even harder

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Durandal1707 posted:

I dislike Synthesis a lot too. It tries being a pat "feel good" ending where the only sacrifice is Shepard (well, whomever died getting to the Citadel but w/e) but it doesn't really work on that level. The implication behind it is pretty jacked up.

Supposedly it was the preferred ending by the Bioware staff. I dunno where exactly I read that because i'm on like 3 hours worth of sleep, but supposedly it was written into the game code itself.

That last line probably means it was the preferred ending by the two guys who locked themselves in a room to write the endings without anyone being allowed to comment or argue against it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Durandal1707 posted:

Synthesis is despicable. It's the Reapers saying "OK, since you're now all fundamentally the same, we'll allow you to live"

gross

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Now this is an opinion I can stand behind!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Durandal1707 posted:

Synthesis is like the "third" choice in every Bioware game, that has little to no consequences and conveniently solves everyone's problem, but to me it's somehow overdone in being the perfect third choice that I just roll my eyes at "Shepard fulfilled their role as Space Jesus by dying for everyone's sins and bringing peace and understanding to the entire Galaxy and the Reapers are redeemed too and sharing their collective knowledge to everyone."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I picked Synthesis when I first played through the game because choice one seemed almost needlessly destructive(and we're going to kill everyone you helped throughout the game but if you pick green they'll survive hint hint pick green) and choice two was framed as "Ha ha the illusive man was right all along god you're such an idiot"

but it only got worse after the extended cut when Synthesis turned into "Everything is perfect forever and there are no more wars and god everything is so perfect have we mentioned how perfect everything is now!?"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The endings are color-coded based on which one the Reapers want you to choose.

Except the fourth ending. That one isn't color-coded.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

just an aside: I found out the most recent Mass Effect novel (about the quarian ark in Andromeda) was released about a week ago and went to the Mass Effect wiki to read up on it ... and it's just got the plot summary from the back of the novel

then I went to see if the wiki entries for the characters from Andromeda were as bare-bones as I remember and yep, they totally are

the worst sign for a sci-fi series is when the wiki obsessives stop giving a poo poo

Wait, they actually released the book?

I’m tentatively curious what was up with the Quarian arc, since I like the Quarians, Hanar and Elcor, and they are all on that ship.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 19, 2018

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the first time I beat ME3 I took the blue ending because I said to myself "you know what, yes, this Shepard would be the perfect candidate to be God Emperor of the known universe because look upon all he has accomplished. Now you loving cuttlefish machines can get to work on rebuilding all the worlds you assholes destroyed needlessly :colbert:"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

Wait, they actually released the book?

I’m tentatively curious what was up with the Quarian arc, since I like the Quarians, Hanar and Elcor, and they are all on that ship.

yeah it came out two weeks ago:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_Andromeda:_Annihilation

it looks like no one who maintains the wiki has actually read the drat thing

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Is the wiki even maintained anymore? I figured it's been more or less abandoned at this point.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I don't want to get too deep into ending discussion lest the thread start looking like a CIA document.
The thing that annoyed me a lot is how drat near petulant the game is about you not sacrificing shepherd like they want you to. Since the Red ending shows the relays blowing up and the starchild talks about how all your friends rely on reaper technology and now they're all gonna die.
Also that a race of robots 3d-printed out of meat slurry are completely flabbergasted by cybernetics as something new and fantastic that also conveniently solves all of their problems instantly.

Before the extended cut though, I wasn't mad about the endings, just disappointed. They seemed awfully short and low effort but I had enjoyed the game up until that point. All the Extended Cut served to do is draw attention to how utterly rushed they were without actually addressing much beyond a "where are they now" slideshow.

Red is best. Shep lives, galactic civilization continues, and the Reapers are dead. (It had to be done so we could have fun).

As for EDI and the Geth?

Their sacrifice will be honored in the coming empire.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Red is best. Shep lives, galactic civilization continues, and the Reapers are dead. (It had to be done so we could have fun).

As for EDI and the Geth?

Their sacrifice will be honored in the coming empire.

I picked Control.

I don't gotta sacrifice EDI and the Geth, AND I get to become an immortal machine god?

Plug me into the tube, baby!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Destruction is best because it cock-blocks Joker

Stop trying to gently caress my ship, Joker! :argh:

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

Synthesis is despicable. It's the Reapers saying "OK, since you're now all fundamentally the same, we'll allow you to live"

gross

Yeah. It's supposed to be the feel good ending and yet doesn't work at all because of exactly that. It'd be an interesting ending if it had been explored better over the course of the series, but like most things with the ending of ME3, it's just too rushed to have the proper impact.

I was always a Destroy person myself. It just always felt like the most "proper" ending of the series to me. Control is kinda gross and Synthesis isn't well presented, so as much as Edi and the Geth getting the shaft sucked, well..

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I like Control, actually. God Emperor Shepard makes sense considering she's been the only person in the whole galaxy able to fix others' problems. Now it's official!

In my "direct sequel to ME3 that doesn't suck" dream that would be the canonical ending and the gang has to get Shep back. This is accomplished due to a certain plot element in Citadel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...And now I’m imagining (HEAVY SPOILERS FOR CITADEL) a whole army of Clone Shepards tumbling out into the Normandy’s shuttle bay, and in perfect unison, they all say “I’m Commander Shepard...”