Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah, but over-diagnosing ADD really was a serious problem in the 90's.

Yeah about that..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

You can absolutely argue thats it's hard to accurately diagnose since all kids have ADHD behaviors and there's definitely a meaningful argument behind the idea that sitting kids filled with energy at desks and telling them to be still all day is a terrible way to approach education.

For some reason that nuance escapes most people and it becomes "lol it's not real just pay attention"

I've noticed that libertarians tend to have no empathy for anyone who has disabilities or mental health problems because accepting the fact that not everyone has an equal shot at success ruins the whole "it all comes down to personal responsibility" argument.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 18, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I’m sorry I just refuse to believe that every kid in the world has an attention disorder and it’s not just the fact school is boring and being a little kid sucks and having phones and screens sucking at your attention from birth probably just makes idiot kids who can’t sit still to learn about conjunctions or whatever.

Also yes Alcoholism is real, the joke wasn’t that alcoholism isn’t real, it’s that “just really liking beer” isn’t being an alcoholic and is a different problem. Like seriously imagine having reading comprehension that bad and just never getting glib satire.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I’m sorry I just refuse to believe that every kid in the world has an attention disorder and it’s not just the fact school is boring and being a little kid sucks and having phones and screens sucking at your attention from birth probably just makes idiot kids who can’t sit still to learn about conjunctions or whatever.

And I refuse to believe that everyone has the same natural capacity to pay attention. Nearly everything in human cognition is variable.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I also liked when their attempt at dunking on homeopathy and new-age pseudoscientific remedies turned into "there is no such thing as a toxin"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Elderbean posted:

And I refuse to believe that everyone has the same natural capacity to pay attention. Nearly everything in human cognition is variable.

Ok but what’s your threshold for a child (age 4-10) not paying attention in school or wanting to go run around outside instead of sitting at a desk (like a tiny adult) and working fastidiously for hours? At what point would you consider or request medication for your child?

My threshold is “when the child is literally a danger to themselves or others” not “it’s 4:30 PM and mommy needs quiet so she can watch Judge Mathis, eat this pill and go upstairs”

Also as an aside, I’ve had two different roommates who were prescribed Ritalin/Adderol as children and by age 20-22 they were both basically white, suburban meth heads who really couldn’t function At All without their speed, which if you didn’t know, Adderal is basically methamphetamine.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Bust Rodd posted:

I would think educators who actually have to work with special needs kids wouldn’t like you after saying that. My wife actually has to deal with kids who don’t get their prescribed medication cause their idiot parents were convinced to normalize their kids by some online moron like you or by some cartoon show. It doesn’t go well and their education absolutely suffers

If the doctor says your kid might need a prescription, he might actually know what he’s talking about! What a concept!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My point is that it’s overprescribed, not that some kids don’t need medication, but that’s a perfect example of misinterpreting a South Park-style take as an extremist viewpoint, great job!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lol southparks take was to hit kids and tell them to study it's not a misinterpretation. These are the same dudes who think climate change isn't real.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Elderbean posted:

Lol southparks take was to hit kids and tell them to study it's not a misinterpretation. These are the same dudes who think climate change isn't real.

They just did a two-parter apologising to Al Gore.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

sassassin posted:

They just did a two-parter apologising to Al Gore.

That's good, but it doesnt really change the fact that they tend to crank out commentary on things they don't actually understand.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
marge vs the monorail suffers from third act problems

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
likewise, the lemon of troy has a forgettable first act

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tree Goat posted:

marge vs the monorail suffers from third act problems

Tree Goat posted:

likewise, the lemon of troy has a forgettable first act

You shut your filthy word hole. How dare you

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah, but over-diagnosing ADD really was a serious problem in the 90's.

Or do we just think that because TV made us think that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Plan Z posted:

Or do we just think that because TV made us think that.
I think, like Aspergers, it suffers from being a trendy diagnosis that wasn't previously mainstream.
So you hear about an explosion of it because we can more accurately diagnose it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Also yes Alcoholism is real, the joke wasn’t that alcoholism isn’t real, it’s that “just really liking beer” isn’t being an alcoholic and is a different problem. Like seriously imagine having reading comprehension that bad and just never getting glib satire.

I get it, I do. South Park's "satire" isn't hard to get, it's literally the easiest out there to get. Tell me how wrong I am when I take the alcoholism episode as "Maybe it's a disease, but we as a society have agreed that 'disease' means something else in our minds, and we may be cheapening the word when it's possible that choice is a factor in such a disease. And if you dare to question it, you'll be brow-beaten into capitulating that it's a disease rather than being given a concrete case. But also Randy is using the 'disease' part as an excuse to not address the actual behavior that's fueling his addiction because it's easy to blame it on something you can't control than your own personal shortcomings." The problem is that it's one fictional case and they're not really implying that they're giving you a small part of the story. They don't show people detoxing or show psychological dependencies on alcohol. Randy just gets drunk and doesn't realize how his actions affect the people around them, and in this one case, it's just a guy who needs to learn to cut himself off. Then there are the legit cases where they hosed up like on climate change, but mistakes are worsened when they're so smug about it.

I'll give them credit that their episode on Tourette's was pretty good. It was a way of getting Cartman to do funny cusses while also confronting him with a better-represented depiction of the disease than you usually get from lovely comedies that were prevalent at the time. Same for the Special Olympics episode, where they mocked a longtime lovely comedy crutch while also displaying athletes as athletes. One problem that is admittedly somewhat out of their control, though is the louder parts of their audience. They're the ones that don't get the satire and think it's just "yeah, tell those pussies that they're pussies," yet claim nobody else gets it. On the other hand, that episode of the Simpsons where Lisa had an eating disorder was god awful. She just felt fat and didn't want to eat all that much. She claimed she'll still have it but since gently caress continuity, it's never shown again which is an example of "this is a very big problem that needs attention" then abandoning it, which is bad writing.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 19, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I watched that episode just a few days ago. What you're describing is Randy's arc specifically, but 'alcoholism isn't real' is something they come close to saying literally, multiple times. There really is no other way to interpret it. Also that Alcoholics Anonymous is basically a cult which, who knows, might even be true.

They have stupid opinions and that's fine, I'll still watch it. It's not a bad show regardless. It's bizarre to be so hell-bent on defending their honor.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah, and when I criticize stuff like that, it's cause I usually do it because I like discussion and I hate attempts to just shut it down, which is what I'm guilty of sometimes.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

FilthyImp posted:

I think, like Aspergers, it suffers from being a trendy diagnosis that wasn't previously mainstream.
So you hear about an explosion of it because we can more accurately diagnose it.

I remember back when that first depression commercial started making the rounds (Zoloft, I think? It was just an animated oval wandering around), a pharmacist family member would always go on about how depression wasn't a medical thing that deserved medication, those idiots just needed to cheer up!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

glib satire lmao

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Is thoust besmirching thine South Parks honour? Have at yee, my goonsire and I shall slay yee with my sword of logic

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

I remember back when that first depression commercial started making the rounds (Zoloft, I think? It was just an animated oval wandering around), a pharmacist family member would always go on about how depression wasn't a medical thing that deserved medication, those idiots just needed to cheer up!

It was a pretty common political tactic in the US to use "treatment for depression" as a way of calling them crazy and unfit. There was someone whose name I forget that Nixon did it to during Watergate and a lot of people bought it.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I just found this channel and it has full episodes broken up into 7 videos and I just binged watched $pringfield again and HOLY poo poo it’s just wall-to-wall gold, “Ah yes that crippled Irishman!” “I said Hop. In.” “Wow that’s classic compulsive behavior, wow free beer!”, “Yah, you know, we are having a party tonight...” “I call him GAMBLOR” et all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj3hatFVq18

Celebrity guests: Robert Goulet and loving Gerry Cooney

Seriously, watch that episode and find me a scene that doesn’t have a solid joke or a scene that falls flat in the slightest. Now go back and watch that Princess Diana clip again and tell me it’s the same show. They could barely fit in the Lisa Florida subplot ending because there was so much loving good poo poo they had to get in.

fatal oopsie-daisy fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 19, 2018

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

My old gamer tag was Professor Rubbermouth. Also love the consistency that Barney has "5 years of modern dance, 6 years of tap" and it's kind of consistent with him being a good singer in the Be Sharps episode.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 19, 2018

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Most people also have basically no understanding of what ADD/ADHD style disorders actually are. A kid not wanting to sit still isn't the problem. The kid literally can't process information the way other kids do and suffers in school as a result. They're told to pay attention or to work on an assignment and their eyes just roll off it.

It's a learning disability, not an overabundance of energy in a boring setting.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Bust Rodd posted:

My point is that it’s overprescribed, not that some kids don’t need medication, but that’s a perfect example of misinterpreting a South Park-style take as an extremist viewpoint, great job!

Yeah well guess what, cause of know nothing people like you and idiotic tv shows, parents are trying to ignore their kids issues and making life hell for people like my wife who are just trying to help kids with neurological issues

Good job idiot internet contrarian

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 19, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They can write a good bit of musical comedy but unfortunately they aren't very talented at hot takes.

More recently I liked the South Park episode on home security.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

My Linux Rig posted:

Yeah well guess what, cause of know nothing people like you and idiotic tv shows, parents are trying to normalize their kids and making life hell for people like my wife who are just trying to help kids with neurological issues

Good job idiot internet contrarian

This is exactly what's so frustrating about it. Children have a very hard time describing or explaining what their difficulties actually are because all they know is what they've experienced and while they might realize they're "different", they don't have the experience to really explain what that means. If you have lived your whole life not having experienced a neurological condition, all you see is the behavior and you get frustrated with the kid because other children are able to modify their behavior.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

There's an awful lot of meat in these threads.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
Does the episode of South Park where all the kids claim their parents are molesting them and then take over the town still hold up?

Because I remember thinking that was the funniest poo poo when i first saw it, but now I could see it being problematic in hindsight.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

pooch516 posted:

Does the episode of South Park where all the kids claim their parents are molesting them and then take over the town still hold up?

Because I remember thinking that was the funniest poo poo when i first saw it, but now I could see it being problematic in hindsight.

No it's still a really good episode

The homeless zombies episode was around the same time, those were the good years of South Park where they didn't talk about politics or do trolling the libs comedy but instead just talked about general societal issues

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Talk about the simpsons you idiots

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Nonviolent J posted:

Talk about the simpsons you idiots

No, let's turn it into a Critic thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7ycxiog40

Mostly having fun, but a "forgotten adult animation" thread could be cool. The Critic, 3South, Undergrads, Duckman, Dr. Katz, Clerks: TAS, Mission Hill, The Oblongs.

Has the world decided if we're okay with The P.J.'s?

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 20, 2018

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdPd5_KFUnc

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

It's odd how they chose such a cute, Disney-ish style for The Critic, and then changed the designs in the 2nd season to be even more cutesy. Most animated comedies go for a cruder, uglier look to them, or at least have really simple looking characters that can warp and stretch to emphasize the physical comedy. They do some funny physical stuff with Jay but a lot of times it feels like everything is too pretty for what's supposed to be a satire.
The writing and the performances are still top-notch, don't get me wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiguDe8ZZQQ

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
A student of mine in Bangkok just submitted a persuasive essay on how Apu is not a racist caricature. I'm not sure why a 12 year old in 2018 living in a country that is barely even aware of The Simpsons has decided to have a horse in this race, but I suspect it has something to do with him and his brothers regularly telling me that the Holocaust was good and that the Jews deserved it.

I need to find a new career.

Speaking of, all the gags in Season 3 of the teachers drinking heavily and burning out strike very close to home.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Here lies jay sherman. Nobody ever bought his book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

A student of mine in Bangkok just submitted a persuasive essay on how Apu is not a racist caricature. I'm not sure why a 12 year old in 2018 living in a country that is barely even aware of The Simpsons has decided to have a horse in this race, but I suspect it has something to do with him and his brothers regularly telling me that the Holocaust was good and that the Jews deserved it.

I need to find a new career.

Speaking of, all the gags in Season 3 of the teachers drinking heavily and burning out strike very close to home.

yes, laughing at a cartoon character is comparable to genocide