Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Speaking of getting rid of old stock, over here they're selling new mining 1080tis with 5GB of RAM and no video out for under 400 dollars https://www.pcgarage.ro/placi-video-mining/zotac/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-mining-p102-100-5gb-ddr5x-256-bit/
I wonder if you could solder a DVI or HDMI port on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

people over at tomshw.de speculate that FW 2080TI failures are due to memory chips getting cooked by the large copper powerplane routed directly below them.
They've measured >90°C at the rear of the PCB where those chips sit. That's exactly in the location that's left empty in both the 1080ti and this new 1060 board.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

3peat posted:

Speaking of getting rid of old stock, over here they're selling new mining 1080tis with 5GB of RAM and no video out for under 400 dollars https://www.pcgarage.ro/placi-video-mining/zotac/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-mining-p102-100-5gb-ddr5x-256-bit/

Do they have the video-out logic, but not the physical connector?

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

alex314 posted:

What's the recommended model for quality Vega 56 cards? Sapphire Nitro+ seems to have good reviews, and I like the look, but I'd like to have some more choices for bargain hunting.

Try to get a card with Samsung ram. This should let you flash it with a 64 bios which should let you bump the ram to ~1100mhz.
As far as I'm aware all non reference 56 cards come with Hyinx ram which doesn't clock so well.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I sold my GTX 1070 to a friend and replaced it with a 2080 and I can't really tell much of a difference. I'm sure some of the new AAA games will change this though, newest game I'm playing now is Destiny 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

incels interlinked posted:

I sold my GTX 1070 to a friend and replaced it with a 2080 and I can't really tell much of a difference. I'm sure some of the new AAA games will change this though, newest game I'm playing now is Destiny 2

The 2080 is almost an exact sidegrade to the 1080ti in most performance benchmarks I've seen with the future fairy magic promises of ray-tracing, DX12 support and DLSS implementation. I upgraded to it from a 980ti, which I suppose is basically the 1070, and it's been one hell of an enhancement for Shadow of the Tomb Raider and AC Odyssey. Went from averaging low 40s @ 1440p with most settings in the High-Very High range in these games to Ultra everything and 70+ average FPS. Seems really easy to overclock as well. I should mention this also came with a CPU upgrade from an i5 4570 --> Ryzen 2700x though.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Truga posted:

lmao https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/280800-nvidia-stock-plummets-on-high-inventory-fears

is this news? because lol absolutely no lessons learned from the radeon 290 market crash, in fact it's the opposite, they doubled down far harder than amd ever did apparently.

and instead of dumping these cards on the market and having people get good gaming pcs on the cheap, they'll instead end up destroying them I bet :capitalism:

Does this mean nvidia were buttcoin true believers all along?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Holy crap just firesale them for $400 or whatever this is wasteful and dumb. At that price I'd buy a second: I don't care if SLI sucks my 750w PSU has had it too easy.

Way to show no confidence in your own product line.

Edit: that is not the reference/FE PCB: it has a way bigger VRM and accepts and extra 6 pin. So was this something done by the AIB (which would be even dumber)? How could NV hobble custom PCBs that they don't own?

Yudo fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 18, 2018

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

The 2080 is almost an exact sidegrade to the 1080ti in most performance benchmarks I've seen with the future fairy magic promises of ray-tracing, DX12 support and DLSS implementation. I upgraded to it from a 980ti, which I suppose is basically the 1070, and it's been one hell of an enhancement for Shadow of the Tomb Raider and AC Odyssey. Went from averaging low 40s @ 1440p with most settings in the High-Very High range in these games to Ultra everything and 70+ average FPS. Seems really easy to overclock as well. I should mention this also came with a CPU upgrade from an i5 4570 --> Ryzen 2700x though.

Yeah I figured it'd be a better buy than a 1080ti for a similar price. I also got a 9600K but haven't installed it yet, still running a 6700K for now. Can't wait to see what my Diablo 3 FPS are!

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Having a firesale is a terrible idea for Nvidia. Getting a 290 for $200 kept me from upgrading until the 1070 came out. The price/performance of anything before that just didn't make sense.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yudo posted:

Holy crap just firesale them for $400 or whatever this is wasteful and dumb.

To be fair, forced segmentation to support 'premium' pricing at the top has been the rule for well over a decade. *glances at "tri-core" Phenom II in the corner that ran as a quadcore for a decade with just a bios flag*

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Have there been any roadmaps / rumors for NVidia products beyond the current 20xx lineup? Anyone have links?

eames
May 9, 2009

Yudo posted:

Holy crap just firesale them for $400 or whatever this is wasteful and dumb. At that price I'd buy a second: I don't care if SLI sucks my 750w PSU has had it too easy.

Way to show no confidence in your own product line.

Edit: that is not the reference/FE PCB: it has a way bigger VRM and accepts and extra 6 pin. So was this something done by the AIB (which would be even dumber)? How could NV hobble custom PCBs that they don't own?
It's a GTX1080 card with a cut down GPU and two memory chips missing. I imagine it's just cheaper to use this existing design than to make an all new card for a 1060 with GDDR5X that shouldn't exist in the first place.
I am almost surprised that they aren't releasing them as 1060 with full 1080 components to let people unlock the extra frequency/memory/cores in GFE for a one-time payment.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
wow some of you guys are getting dark, destroying warehouses of 1060's, paywalled 1060/1080 GFE conversions, ... well thats it, but I'm still glad I read them lol

edit: but to add to the ~mystery~ ;)

https://www.eteknix.com/geforce-rtx-2080-ti-de-listed-on-nvidias-online-store/

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 18, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nvidia's stock has taken a beating in the past few weeks. It is about to get murdered even more on Monday with this great news.

RTX line is definitely one of the worst launch I have ever witnessed in hardware.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Cygni posted:

To be fair, forced segmentation to support 'premium' pricing at the top has been the rule for well over a decade. *glances at "tri-core" Phenom II in the corner that ran as a quadcore for a decade with just a bios flag*

eames posted:

It's a GTX1080 card with a cut down GPU and two memory chips missing. I imagine it's just cheaper to use this existing design than to make an all new card for a 1060 with GDDR5X that shouldn't exist in the first place.
I am almost surprised that they aren't releasing them as 1060 with full 1080 components to let people unlock the extra frequency/memory/cores in GFE for a one-time payment.

You both make good points. I didn't notice the missing memory modules (I also made a mistake with the dual 6pin: they are dual 8pins). If the PCBs are already fabricated okay, eat the loss on the extra parts, fair enough. That VRM is just so overkill.

Edit:

Ulio posted:

Nvidia's stock has taken a beating in the past few weeks. It is about to get murdered even more on Monday with this great news.

RTX line is definitely one of the worst launch I have ever witnessed in hardware.

Someone made the point ITT that Nvidia is trying to reposition themselves as an "AI" company. The data center is where the money is at and AMD is really trying to make a run at them in that space; the RTX's concurrent int and better FP16 is really a boon for a number of use cases and CUDA already has a huge footprint. While lackluster in terms of value for games, there is limited competition: Intel released 4c/8t parts for years and dominated the market nonetheless for the very same reason. Vega has very little consumer mind share and is perhaps still a bit too expensive.

I don't know much about investing, but NV has been killing it for the last few years and assuming the crypto bust is priced in, Turing's warts may not effect their share price until next year.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 18, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

Hah! They'd rather gimp expensive cards than compete with their new line-up at the high end. Not totally surprised.
Before anyone says "but binning"... explain the GDDR5X memory, then.

if bios wasn't locked down i bet these would be just 1070Tis with the correct bios like with unlocking radeons :v:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

3peat posted:

If you have a CPU with an IGPU (i.e. Intel or 2200G/2400G, but not Ryzen 1/2), then you might be able to use your motherboards DP/HDMI output while rendering on the GPU, similar to the limited NVidia freesync trick.

Basically, set you integrated graphics to "always on" and the default GPU in BIOS, then use the NVidia control panel to set the rendering GPU to the output-less cut-down 1080 Ti. I'm not sure if I'd be willing to pay $400 to test it, though!

E: I suppose you could test it with your current system - see if you can get your discrete card rendering through your IGPU.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 18, 2018

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

wow some of you guys are getting dark, destroying warehouses of 1060's, paywalled 1060/1080 GFE conversions, ... well thats it, but I'm still glad I read them lol

edit: but to add to the ~mystery~ ;)

https://www.eteknix.com/geforce-rtx-2080-ti-de-listed-on-nvidias-online-store/

It's really bad when WCCFTech corrects you https://wccftech.com/no-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-has-not-been-delisted/

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I don't get the hate for the RTX, yeah they are expensive but still pretty good improvements over the prior gen even if the new features don't pan out. It's far from another 5800 Ultra/GTX 480 situation. The prices for GPUs have been hosed for a while

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I don't get the hate for the RTX, yeah they are expensive but still pretty good improvements over the prior gen even if the new features don't pan out. It's far from another 5800 Ultra/GTX 480 situation. The prices for GPUs have been hosed for a while

The problem is that without RTX/TC, they aren't really improvements over the prior gen, not for the price points they're selling at. The 2080 is basically a 1080 Ti (+-5%, +15% in one or two games) selling for the same price that the 1080 Ti launched at. The 2070 is the same story. The 2080 Ti is an improvement in the sense that there's no Pascal equivalent, but it's selling for Titan prices with only slightly better cost/performance ratio. And now that limited supply is starting to choke the Pascal used markets, those prices are starting to go back up too.

That's not to say that they're bad. They just offer zero cost/performance improvements, which means the only true performance improvements are at the very (super-expensive) top.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 18, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
price is everything , throw in a little yankee symdrome with unproven promises and there you have it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you're looking to upgrade from a 10xx series then I agree the RTX line is a terrible value, and people were probably already getting sick of $850 GPU prices that were only just starting to come back down from bitcoin heaven. But if you were going to buy a new card anyway then there's nothing outright bad about them, and maybe some of the magical pixie features will see halfway decent implementation. Either way, all have fallen short in the eyes of God.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Which model did you get and do you like it?

If anyone got the EVGA 2080 ti XC Ultra Gaming how do you like it?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Is a 1060 6GB ok for gaming at 1440? I am reading very mixed things online. No FPS, don't care about high refresh rates.

If not, should I upgrade GPU right now or play at 1080p for now and get a new monitor and GPU in 2-3 years? ITX build, 500W PSU, Ryzen 2600X. New build so I can return my 1060 to Microcenter though I'd feel like a dick because I registered it with EVGA.

I'm totally fine with the 1080p performance of the 1060 now, but I do plan to upgrade and I'm not sure if it financially makes sense to buy 2 GPUs and 2 monitors in a 2-3 yr timespan.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Tyro posted:

Is a 1060 6GB ok for gaming at 1440? I am reading very mixed things online. No FPS, don't care about high refresh rates.

If not, should I upgrade GPU right now or play at 1080p for now and get a new monitor and GPU in 2-3 years? ITX build, 500W PSU, Ryzen 2600X. New build so I can return my 1060 to Microcenter though I'd feel like a dick because I registered it with EVGA.

I'm totally fine with the 1080p performance of the 1060 now, but I do plan to upgrade and I'm not sure if it financially makes sense to buy 2 GPUs and 2 monitors in a 2-3 yr timespan.

I don't know how well this thread likes this particular site but I think it helps me a lot:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/graphicscardcomparison

Not techie benchmarks per-se but just gut-feel ballparks of where everything stands against each other with mile posts

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

use YouTube to see people playing the games you play at the resolution you're curious about

mem
Sep 1, 2005
1060 is fine at 1440, especially if gsync. I've been driving a 1440 144 hz gsync monitor with a gtx 980, and can run most games at 60ish fps at high/ultra settings. Those cards are supposedly roughly equal.

You wont be running newer games at high hz with it unless you start really cranking down the graphics quality, though. At 1080p, you should be able to max graphics on pretty much everything and maintain 60 fps.

I dont know about games coming down the pipe, however. AC: Odyssey has been 45 - 60 fps on high settings with my 980 at 1440, Fallout 76 60 fps on high settings but that's a fairly old engine.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks all. Very helpful advice! I had been comparing on userbenchmarks, that logical increments site is helpful. I'll hit up YouTube also.

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is a forum discussion from 16 years ago that can be read like a continuation of where we're at in this thread presently. Just replace "GF 4*" references with "RTX 2080", "GF 3*" with "1080 Ti", and "GF 2*" with "980" where needed. Also, replace "DOOM 3" with Battlefield V" and "John Carmack" with "Common sense".

"John Carmack says 'don't buy Geforce 4 MX for DOOM 3'"'

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=871382

"Geforce 2 to Geforce 3 = Wow! What a difference.

Geforce 3 to Geforce 4 = Meh. Slightly more frames."
-

"I also love my GF 3, and even though I usually throw down money on every new toy that comes out, I won't be looking at a new card until maybe this time next year."
-

"I remember reading something about Nvidia pulling the GF 3's off the shelf once the GF 4's come out." | (interesting how the rumors of NVIDIA having agency over the supply chain existed back then)
-

"I agree if a person has a GeForce 3 there is no need to get a Geforce 4."
-

"This site compares the GF 4's with GF 3's, Radeon's (performance in) a lot of different games...

As you can see the GF 2 line can run with the GF 4 MX line "
-

"Oh well, I've got my GF 3, so it's not going to effect me other than having to listen to people bitch about the lovely performance of their brand new faux GF 4 ."
-

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I have a gtx 970 which is pretty close to a 1060. For a lot of games it was fine at 1440p with mostly "high" settings, but I wouldn't recommend buying one if smooth 2k is your goal.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Did my GPU just die? Just finished playing some games, stepped a way for a second, computer rebooted 3 times. Started back up to it no recognizing my RTX 2070. Device manager is showing a problem with it "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Completely uninstalled drivers and reinstalled, nothing. When I do that, the screen goes black for a bit, with white short lines across it randomly, and reverts back to the no display. I'm able to run off my MB's integrated graphics for now.

Anything else to do besides submit a RMA (still new, just a pain)?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Doh004 posted:

Did my GPU just die? Just finished playing some games, stepped a way for a second, computer rebooted 3 times. Started back up to it no recognizing my RTX 2070. Device manager is showing a problem with it "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Completely uninstalled drivers and reinstalled, nothing. When I do that, the screen goes black for a bit, with white short lines across it randomly, and reverts back to the no display. I'm able to run off my MB's integrated graphics for now.

Can you throw another GPU in there as a test?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

VelociBacon posted:

Can you throw another GPU in there as a test?

Nothing else hanging around to swap (gave my old 970 to a buddy) in.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doh004 posted:

put it in a different pci slot and use DDU first

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That's cute, but I'm not really seeing the analogue. Carmack's statement was about the serious segmentation in the GF4 line - the GF3 line and GF4 Tis added this minor feature called "pixel and vertex shaders", for which Doom 3 was a flagship product. Despite the "Geforce4" moniker the GF4 MX line did not have pixel or vertex shaders, and were just slightly faster versions of the GF2 architecture. They were also much cheaper, hence:

Carmack posted:

The GF4-MX may still be the card of choice for many people depending on pricing, especially considering that many games won't use four textures and vertex programs, but drat, I wish they had named it something else.

So basically we'd be having that discussion if RTX was a killer feature in a much anticipated new DOOM 5, but the 2060 had launched without RTX support and the developer was worried about people buying it with the mistaken impression that it would do RTX Doom 5.

E: There's also the GF3 launching at $500, going to $350 6 months later, and then the GF4 Ti 4400 launching at $270 six months after that while offering ~25% improved performance. Crazy times.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 19, 2018

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Fauxtool posted:

put it in a different pci slot and use DDU first

No luck with the other PCIE slot. Ran DDU couple times in safe mode, no luck :(

Here's what I was talking about :

Also was able to get a BSOD too:

(Also, wow the medium image quality setting upload from an iPhone is really bad quality... sheesh)

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The 4200 overclocked almost identically to the 4600 and the MX was a Geforce 2. The 4200 was the really good buy from that generation.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Some manufacturers even used the Geforce 4 Ti 4400/4600 PCB for their Ti 4200 products, so you could get a pseudo 4400 for 4200 money without touching a single OC setting.

And although the name was intentionally misleading, the Geforce 4 MX 440 was at least a very capable budget card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It was capable and in my budget. That's about all I could say for it.