Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't think he's capable of introspection.

Everything he's written indicates that he considers the actual harm of the speech (ie: potential repercussions to Chechen LGBT, game distributors, international relations) secondary to his own right to say it.

He's definitely one of the free-speech over everything types, which was in favor decades ago when "...maybe the gays are people?" was a controversial idea that needed boosting. But he's clearly more fixated on the means than the message.

And FWIW, he's not being "censored" in any real sense. Paradox has chosen not to amplify his speech. He's free to link real-world atrocities to homophobic vampire conspiracies, but the other people at Paradox have just a right not to be represented by or associated with this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, even the bad WW books weren't this careless. Like, that was kind of the amazing thing about some of them, that they were so clearly earnest.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Look pals! We're helping!

https://twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1063953545030979589?s=19

(This is the SIGMATA guy, talking about his "sales strategy")

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Can you imagine how jealous the SIGMATA guy must be of Mark Rein*Hagen right now?

Also, it's really painful that the tagline for SIGMATA is 'this signal kills fascists' when from everything that's been discussed on this 'chemical toilet' he goes out of his way to minimize the contexts in which one is allowed to kill fascists, down to 'actively fascing right the hell now and as soon as they start losing you have to stop shooting.'

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
This Signal Kills Fascists, Metaphorically, In The Marketplace of Ideas

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I mean, looking at the figures he posted, he could have called it 'This PoD-only book kills my bottom line'. It's all very well being like 'I only made $6000 from Sigmata, don't be mean to me' but with a reasonably-sized print run he would have at least triple the amount of money he's earning.

It's a small thing, sure, but it kinda sucks that he's out there going 'this is the true face of the RPG industry' when no, dude, this is the true face of RPG hobbyists.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Look pals! We're helping!

https://twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1063953545030979589?s=19

(This is the SIGMATA guy, talking about his "sales strategy")

It's.... interesting that good or neutral things we say about his games are cool, but when talks about the problems in his writing, we're a chemical toilet full of neckbeards that sicced a tankie on him.

Flavivirus posted:

I mean, looking at the figures he posted, he could have called it 'This PoD-only book kills my bottom line'. It's all very well being like 'I only made $6000 from Sigmata, don't be mean to me' but with a reasonably-sized print run he would have at least triple the amount of money he's earning.

It's a small thing, sure, but it kinda sucks that he's out there going 'this is the true face of the RPG industry' when no, dude, this is the true face of RPG hobbyists.

So in your experience, doing print runs on books has been more profitable than PoD would be?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I've been thinking about doing a print run instead of PoD for my next project but I've not done it before and I'm not sure where to start. Has anyone written advice for that?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Print run's better for cons anyway, I know several times I've bought a book for American fiat dollars that I would have probably not bought if I wouldn't have had it right in my hands due to POD etc. Of course the established practice is probably to get some copies for them anyway...

Joe Slowboat posted:

Can you imagine how jealous the SIGMATA guy must be of Mark Rein*Hagen right now?

Also, it's really painful that the tagline for SIGMATA is 'this signal kills fascists' when from everything that's been discussed on this 'chemical toilet' he goes out of his way to minimize the contexts in which one is allowed to kill fascists, down to 'actively fascing right the hell now and as soon as they start losing you have to stop shooting.'
Yeah I don't get why it seems like people forgot at some point that there is space between "literally kill every single person who was ever involved in the armed forces of an oppressive national government" and "only non-lethal takedowns and martyrdom acceptable." Then again maybe it's because of the fascination with being insurgents.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Nessus posted:

Yeah I don't get why it seems like people forgot at some point that there is space between "literally kill every single person who was ever involved in the armed forces of an oppressive national government" and "only non-lethal takedowns and martyrdom acceptable." Then again maybe it's because of the fascination with being insurgents.

This is why Spire is great, it's Umkhonto we Sizwe but for elves, and has the position of 'killing is a tool, be careful with it but don't forget you're here to win, not make friends.'

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

So in your experience, doing print runs on books has been more profitable than PoD would be?

Sure! Past about 250 copies, your per-unit printing costs are going to be better with a print run than a PoD. The difficulty is warehousing and shipping - you need a good fulfilment partner who knows their stuff, once you've moved on from letting DTRPG handle it. It also helps to be based outside the US, so that you don't have to deal with the lamentable state of UPS.

But, to follow in Chad's footsteps above, I'll give you actual figures. Printing Legacy 2e PoD at a comparable quality to the KS edition would be £25.96, meaning a £35 sale would only net me £2 after DriveThruRPG takes their cut. The print run I did (2000 copies) lead to a unit cost of ~£2.50; at that rate I can sell into wholesale distributors, get £10 per copy, and take home more than triple the DriveThruRPG profit. And then your game is in game stores, selling your antifascist agenda to an order of magnitude more people!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Joe Slowboat posted:

This is why Spire is great, it's Umkhonto we Sizwe but for elves, and has the position of 'killing is a tool, be careful with it but don't forget you're here to win, not make friends.'
Spire does an excellent job of confronting the moral complexity and compromise of political violence - it manages to neither valorize or demonize it, and avoids "you're as bad as they are!" bullshit without losing "the master's tools will never dismantle the master's house." A distinction a lot of media/games about revolution fails to even recognize as a distinction.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ettin posted:

I've been thinking about doing a print run instead of PoD for my next project but I've not done it before and I'm not sure where to start. Has anyone written advice for that?

It might be worth going through Caleb Stokes's (of Red Markets) work, as I recall he wrote (or talked) a bunch about doing a print run for Red Markets and how the economics of that worked out.

What I can recall directly is that Red Markets was only originally supposed to be a PoD book, but he set the print run as a stretch goal.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Kevin Crawford has been written about KS and POD economics before as well

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Flavivirus posted:

Sure! Past about 250 copies, your per-unit printing costs are going to be better with a print run than a PoD. The difficulty is warehousing and shipping - you need a good fulfilment partner who knows their stuff, once you've moved on from letting DTRPG handle it. It also helps to be based outside the US, so that you don't have to deal with the lamentable state of UPS.

But, to follow in Chad's footsteps above, I'll give you actual figures. Printing Legacy 2e PoD at a comparable quality to the KS edition would be £25.96, meaning a £35 sale would only net me £2 after DriveThruRPG takes their cut. The print run I did (2000 copies) lead to a unit cost of ~£2.50; at that rate I can sell into wholesale distributors, get £10 per copy, and take home more than triple the DriveThruRPG profit. And then your game is in game stores, selling your antifascist agenda to an order of magnitude more people!

That's cool! How hard is it to get an indie RPG into your game stores? If you do end up shipping internationally/to the US, how does that hit your bottom line? Is Indie Press Revolution a good start for storage/shipping, or do you use other venues?

Also, do you mean the USPS, or is there something specifically terrible about UPS?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 19, 2018

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's cool! How hard is it to get an indie RPG into your game stores? If you do end up shipping internationally/to the US, how does that hit your bottom line? Is Indie Press Revolution a good start for storage/shipping, or do you use other venues?

Also, do you mean the USPS, or is there something specifically terrible about UPS?

Yeah, sorry, I meant USPS. Posting into the US is fine - it's posting out of the US to individual customers in other countries that you need to avoid at all costs. IPR is a great way of fulfilling US Kickstarter orders, and they can then hold onto your books and sell them to customers and game shops afterwards.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ultimately an TRPG project for a company like Paradox is essentially a vanity project / IP farm, I'm not certain sales would be that big a deal as long as it least turns a profit. The thing is, I'd presume they were probably being tossed more money than most RPG companies would know what to do with - or, at least, the amount of publicity spending they were doing seemed to well exceed what they were actually releasing? I can't speak as an authority, but they were going around doing international flights to shows for years trying to hype folks up before they had even an inkling of a dead tree product to show off.

Is V5 even on book shelves even? Like did they have get a presence on the retail market, even if it was FLGS?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

NutritiousSnack posted:

Is V5 even on book shelves even? Like did they have get a presence on the retail market, even if it was FLGS?

Yes.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Flavivirus posted:

Printing Legacy 2e PoD at a comparable quality to the KS edition would be £25.96, meaning a £35 sale would only net me £2 after DriveThruRPG takes their cut. The print run I did (2000 copies) lead to a unit cost of ~£2.50;

That can't be right. Is it full color?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

ravenkult posted:

That can't be right. Is it full color?

Yup! It's a full-colour, hardback, 6.14"x9.21" 320 page book. Using DTRPG's print calculator outputs a per-book printing cost of $38.58/£25.72. Meanwhile, the traditional print run I just signed off – which also has head+tail bands and bookmark ribbons – came out to €3.31 per book (i.e. £2.95).

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It's one of those 'having money makes it easier to make money' things.

Like, my RPG business makes me ~$50 a month. I absolutely cannot scale to warehousing and fulfillment -- which means I'm stuck with POD for the moment.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

potatocubed posted:

Like, my RPG business makes me ~$50 a month. I absolutely cannot scale to warehousing and fulfillment -- which means I'm stuck with POD for the moment.

Yeah, to be clear, I'm not saying that PoD is for chumps. I wouldn't be in the position where I can order 2000-book print runs if I hadn't had PoD fulfilment when I was starting out, and it makes a lot of sense for the great majority of RPG folks. Just, the Sigmata guy absolutely could afford to use it and the fact he doesn't rather undercuts the point of his thread.

Also - if you haven't looked into warehousing/fulfilment costs, you might be surprised. I pay £20 a month, for example, to store thousands of books. Though now I say that I suppose it's more a question of having the volume of sales to justify a print run of the size you can't manage sales/posting out of your home.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Flavivirus posted:

Yeah, to be clear, I'm not saying that PoD is for chumps. I wouldn't be in the position where I can order 2000-book print runs if I hadn't had PoD fulfilment when I was starting out, and it makes a lot of sense for the great majority of RPG folks. Just, the Sigmata guy absolutely could afford to use it and the fact he doesn't rather undercuts the point of his thread.

Also - if you haven't looked into warehousing/fulfilment costs, you might be surprised. I pay £20 a month, for example, to store thousands of books. Though now I say that I suppose it's more a question of having the volume of sales to justify a print run of the size you can't manage sales/posting out of your home.

Is that £20/mo for a given volume of books and will trend lower as your sales diminish the existing stock?

Example: I have 200 books and I sell 180 of them in a year. Am I still paying £20 for storing 20 books?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Nystral posted:

Is that £20/mo for a given volume of books and will trend lower as your sales diminish the existing stock?

Example: I have 200 books and I sell 180 of them in a year. Am I still paying £20 for storing 20 books?

Yeah, it's based on a given volume of books. Warehouses will generally charge you a flat fee per square meter (or square foot) you take up, plus a certain fee for each delivery you have them do.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I wish Crawford would do print runs. Both my SWN and Godbound books are falling apart.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

gradenko_2000 posted:

It might be worth going through Caleb Stokes's (of Red Markets) work, as I recall he wrote (or talked) a bunch about doing a print run for Red Markets and how the economics of that worked out.

What I can recall directly is that Red Markets was only originally supposed to be a PoD book, but he set the print run as a stretch goal.

If I recall that turned out to be a bit of a disaster though. The print run was in China and so all the KS backers were hit with large shipping bills as unexpected price increases.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

potatocubed posted:

It's advice for Kickstarters, rather than just "go print up a bunch of books right this instant."

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Just do PDF's, they're superior in every way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Biomute posted:

this thread is like a bad time loop episode of star trek: voyager

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zurui posted:

this thread is like a bad time loop episode of star trek: voyager

No this is clearly mirror world Biomute.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Biomute posted:

You've really decided to plant your flag on this particular dumb rear end in a top hat hill, huh?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Flavivirus posted:

When I did POD, my cut was $15/book from the kickstarter. With no risk to me or the backers if international shipping went crazy (which it did, and I could have potentially been in a position where I would have to decide between sucking it up and losing money or having to ask backers to pay the difference if they wanted their books. Not to mention all the horror stories I've heard about indie board games and books getting made abroad and creators losing all their money because of one problem or another.)

So framing this like the only alternative is to keep it the same price and take a tiny margin isn't totally accurate. Of course you will have to charge a few bucks more for POD to keep a decent margin, but the benefits to the customer are significant (reducing the chance of the project failing to deliver down to near-zero, not having to pay full price until the game is complete and ready to ship, reliable delivery). Even if everything went to poo poo with Strike and I lost all the drat money somehow, I could still have put out a product - obviously with less art or whatever, but still a real game - and delivered it to all my backers.

What I'm interested in is the returns on having your game be in distribution. That's where it seems like the real benefit to a print run might lie. Can you talk numbers of sales via various channels? How many KS sales, how many pdf and print sales via each channel, etc? You said an order of magnitude more - that sounds amazing!

I know I'm asking you to dig up a bunch of numbers you may not have to hand, but it really would be helpful for those of us in this thread who have been doing the POD thing to get a sense of the possible upsides to doing a print run.

Edit: Uh, Ettin just asked us to stop with the PDF talk with biomute like a week ago. I ate a few hours of probation because I didn't refresh the page and see the warning. Probably best for us not to engage this time! Just report and move on.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 20, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I was wondering how POD via DTRPG could be worse when you've got someone like Rob Schwalb using it extensively, but also having DTRPG be his primary way of shipping out print books for his Kickstarters.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Arthil posted:

I was wondering how POD via DTRPG could be worse when you've got someone like Rob Schwalb using it extensively, but also having DTRPG be his primary way of shipping out print books for his Kickstarters.

Does he? I thought all his non-stretch Kickstarted books got traditional print runs, which is the format I imagine the majority of people get if they want a physical copy. Standard print cores are $50 on Schwalb's storefront, and roughly comparable DTRPG copies are $75, because PoD doesn't get the benefit of economy of scale. You could go with the softcover, muted color $40 PoD, though, but I can't believe there are that many people that want to save a whole $10 for a flatly inferior product with an elongated shipping time.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

That Old Tree posted:

Does he? I thought all his non-stretch Kickstarted books got traditional print runs, which is the format I imagine the majority of people get if they want a physical copy. Standard print cores are $50 on Schwalb's storefront, and roughly comparable DTRPG copies are $75, because PoD doesn't get the benefit of economy of scale. You could go with the softcover, muted color $40 PoD, though, but I can't believe there are that many people that want to save a whole $10 for a flatly inferior product with an elongated shipping time.

At least for the new one, DTRPG is entirely handling the printing/storage/shipping/etc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have to imagine that DTRPG has at least a small physical stock for things they know are going to move some units, like a newly-released OPP book or something. They're not literally printing every single book on a bespoke basis, are they?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Nessus posted:

I have to imagine that DTRPG has at least a small physical stock for things they know are going to move some units, like a newly-released OPP book or something. They're not literally printing every single book on a bespoke basis, are they?

Yes, they are. Or rather, they are sending the print order to one of their Print On Demand fulfillment printers who then print the book to order and ship it to you.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

When I did POD, my cut was $15/book from the kickstarter. With no risk to me or the backers if international shipping went crazy (which it did, and I could have potentially been in a position where I would have to decide between sucking it up and losing money or having to ask backers to pay the difference if they wanted their books. Not to mention all the horror stories I've heard about indie board games and books getting made abroad and creators losing all their money because of one problem or another.)

So framing this like the only alternative is to keep it the same price and take a tiny margin isn't totally accurate. Of course you will have to charge a few bucks more for POD to keep a decent margin, but the benefits to the customer are significant (reducing the chance of the project failing to deliver down to near-zero, not having to pay full price until the game is complete and ready to ship, reliable delivery). Even if everything went to poo poo with Strike and I lost all the drat money somehow, I could still have put out a product - obviously with less art or whatever, but still a real game - and delivered it to all my backers.

What I'm interested in is the returns on having your game be in distribution. That's where it seems like the real benefit to a print run might lie. Can you talk numbers of sales via various channels? How many KS sales, how many pdf and print sales via each channel, etc? You said an order of magnitude more - that sounds amazing!

I know I'm asking you to dig up a bunch of numbers you may not have to hand, but it really would be helpful for those of us in this thread who have been doing the POD thing to get a sense of the possible upsides to doing a print run.

Edit: Uh, Ettin just asked us to stop with the PDF talk with biomute like a week ago. I ate a few hours of probation because I didn't refresh the page and see the warning. Probably best for us not to engage this time! Just report and move on.

That's fair! You can always charge more for your books, to make up for the lower margin of PoD sales. And as you say, fulfilling through DTRPG has several benefits to publishers and backers. It's just important to emphasise that you're not doomed to stay in PoD-land unless you're a huge titan of the RPG sphere.

You asked for data and I'll try and put some together. So, for Legacy 2e:
  • Kickstarter backers: 1200 hardback + PDF, 500 PDF-only.
  • PDF DriveThruRPG sales post-kickstarter, March-September: 650
  • Hardback sales (via cons, my website, Modiphius' website) post-kickstarter, March-September: 277
  • Wholesale sales post-kickstarter, March-September: 700

So, I might have been a bit over-excited with my 'order of magnitude' comment, but importantly those 700 are just two wholesale orders; we've not even properly launched the game in stores yet. Theory is, getting the book in shops provides advertising, draws in new players, and helps the line become self-sustaining. Not to mention, that's all at a much better print quality than DriveThruRPG can manage.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Nessus posted:

GimpInBlack posted:

Yes, they are. Or rather, they are sending the print order to one of their Print On Demand fulfillment printers who then print the book to order and ship it to you.
An important point to make here is that GimpInBlack is correct but it's not really "bespoke." This is a really simplified explanation and there's tons of exceptions and caveats and middle-ground options, especially since the technology is progressing really rapidly, but I think I can give a decent thumbnail of the differences here.

In traditional printing you do have to prepare the machines for each page spread, run each spread separately, then sort before binding. The advantage here is that you do get better quality, and at-scale there are enormous savings. Improvements in technology have continued to lower "at-scale" thresholds to the point that a print run of a couple thousand books starts to be feasible. The downside is that there are price floors that remain pretty high in an industry where your sales might be on the order of a few hundreds or less. Additionally you're going to end up a big chunk of product being produced in one go at one place, so then you have to figure out storage and then shipping from one central location.

POD is using fundamentally different technology, at least from the perspective of the printer. In this case the printer can treat any page of the same size and paper weight and broad color/ink choice as essentially the same thing, whether it's a cook book, textbook, RPG manual, or whatever else. In other words, printing a single page no longer requires a bespoke process and is pretty much industrialized. There's still set up but now the scaling question is "am I going to run a couple thousand pages of this type?" This is what drives POD pricing schemes. The upside is you don't have to worry about inventory or storage, and theoretically can set up group schemes so you can print to centers closer to your customer to reduce shipping costs. The downside is that there's not really savings from scaling up - the cost is the cost whether you sell two copies or ten thousand copies.

It's a balancing act. For small print runs, especially when you have a internationally scattered customer base, POD is pretty routinely cheaper overall and a lot easier for an individual creator or small group to manage - to the point that POD is possible for people who flat out could not manage a traditional print run due to time, skill, capital, or even just space constraints. On the flip side, as soon as you start hitting those price thresholds in traditional printing, the savings get really big really fast. There's still a tricky grey area because storage and (especially international) shipping costs have been pretty volatile recently, enough that they can devour the nominal savings in a traditional print run. Remember that shipping cost increase that creamed a bunch of KickStarters a few years ago as an example.

Again, it's all very much in flux. Some of the newer POD is even more modular and can treat different sizes as the more or less the same, or switch between color and grayscale and b&w on the fly. Meanwhile "traditional" printing is getting closer and closer to POD in terms of commoditization, and even when it's not the machines are getting smaller, faster, quicker to reconfigure, and more efficient overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

hyphz posted:

If I recall that turned out to be a bit of a disaster though. The print run was in China and so all the KS backers were hit with large shipping bills as unexpected price increases.

There was a little more to it than that. The print run was in China as you mention, and the initial quotes for international shipping ended up being high for many countries. The author Caleb Stokes then put in a tremendous amount of work to find other shipping partners and drive the prices down as far as possible. Some people remained angry (as is generally the case with kickstarters) but the majority of backers were ultimately satisfied by the reduced rates after that.

It seemed really stressful for the author and it took a bit longer, but I wouldn't call it a disaster in the end. People got their books and most of them realized that internationally shipping a 500 page hardcover was going to be spendy. Many other kickstarters have struggled with the same logistics. But it is a good lesson to keep in mind - a print run will also dramatically affect shipping and it's better to do the research on shipping early.