Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nickoten posted:

How are these errata?
Eternal defense was a level 11th power that used 5 ki to cast and, according to the elemental monk's max ki usage for spell per turn rule, you couldn't use that amount of ki until at least level 13. Elemental monk were super broken for years so the real question is "how weren't these errata sooner?"

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toplowtech posted:

Eternal defense was a level 11th power that used 5 ki to cast and, according to the elemental monk's max ki usage for spell per turn rule, you couldn't use that amount of ki until at least level 13. Elemental monk were super broken for years so the real question is "how weren't these errata sooner?"

Uh... those errata were made in June 2015. The PHB came out in August 2014. It wasn't even a full year.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Uh... those errata were made in June 2015. The PHB came out in August 2014. It wasn't even a full year.
Okay, so maybe more "how wasn't the problem caught during playtest"? I just remember checking elemental monk near release and spotting the "can't cast my new power if i follow the rule" problem easily.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nickoten posted:

How are these errata?

5e tends to reject the idea that changes like these are made in the name of "rebalancing" the game, and instead still consider them "errata", as in "this was always how we wanted the game to work, we just misspoke/misprinted it".

Toplowtech posted:

That still means they're increasing the level requirement beyond minimum required, wouldn't it?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So if you're paralyzed you can still resist a grapple/shove? :troll:

Thanks, Mearls!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gradenko_2000 posted:

5e tends to reject the idea that changes like these are made in the name of "rebalancing" the game, and instead still consider them "errata", as in "this was always how we wanted the game to work, we just misspoke/misprinted it".

Except, no, these particular items did not line up with the rest of the features. They were obvious misprints.

gradenko_2000 posted:

That still means they're increasing the level requirement beyond minimum required, wouldn't it?

Features only unlock at 6th/11th/17th. If they have a pre-req that can't be met at 11th, then obviously they were meant to be at 17th.

P.d0t posted:

So if you're paralyzed you can still resist a grapple/shove? :troll:

No? A paralyzed character is also incapacitated, by rule.

I mean, I know it's the thread is duty-bound to poo poo on literally everything that gets published, but if you could dial it back to making GBS threads on things that are actually bad, that would go a long way towards making the thread tolerable.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's more like they put it in back in line with all the other power gains.
It was the lonely monk power you would gain at level 13. All the other ones were at 3th/6th/11th/17th in line with feats.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 18, 2018

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I suppose if your DM is generous and can provide you with some other way to spend additional Ki it would work but at that point maybe a fairy will write a better version of 5e, too.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Damm, only 9 months to figure out that something they published was explicitly broken?

Maybe I need to give this game another chance!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Guy A. Person posted:

Damm, only 9 months to figure out that something they published was explicitly broken?

Maybe I need to give this game another chance!

It wasn't like it was a broken wizard power so, whatever. Monks are already OP with 2 attacks every round from level 1!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Errata monks out of my western high fantasy tia.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Kaysette posted:

Why you gotta be like that?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kaysette posted:

Only if you errata six-shooters and cowboys back in. :colbert:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Errata western fantasy out of my monks. If you can't punch a dragon in his stupid, smug loving mouth what's even the point?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Kaysette posted:

D&D is the game with sphinxes, quetzalcoatls, rakshasa demons, and oni. Some of its settings include Dark Sun, Planescape, Eberron, and Spelljammer. More recently its spread into Magic the Gathering settings like Ravnica and Zendikar.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but D&D hasn't been "western" fantasy for a long, long time now.

(And given that way back in the first days it had stats for martians and androids and poo poo, it arguably never ever was in the first place.)

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

nobody ever said monks have to be eastern kungfu style. admittedly calling their class resource "ki" kinda pigeonholes that, but for me the iconic monk is LOS TIBURON, THE SHARK OF THE LAND not some jackie chan wannabe.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Sage Genesis posted:

D&D is the game with sphinxes, quetzalcoatls, rakshasa demons, and oni. Some of its settings include Dark Sun, Planescape, Eberron, and Spelljammer. More recently its spread into Magic the Gathering settings like Ravnica and Zendikar.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but D&D hasn't been "western" fantasy for a long, long time now.

(And given that way back in the first days it had stats for martians and androids and poo poo, it arguably never ever was in the first place.)

Ok but monks are still stupid and lame.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Arivia posted:

Only if you errata six-shooters and cowboys back in. :colbert:

I was just goofing but I’d take that trade.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gun monk should be a thing that is fun and good and not a goofy favor you have to ask of your DM to allow you to play a really bad version of a really bad monk.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

nobody ever said monks have to be eastern kungfu style. admittedly calling their class resource "ki" kinda pigeonholes that, but for me the iconic monk is LOS TIBURON, THE SHARK OF THE LAND not some jackie chan wannabe.

Monks are actually all Dragonball Z characters, prove me wrong.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Amethyst posted:

The 5e ones? Yeah they sure are.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Amethyst posted:

you're stupid and lame :colbert:

kingcom posted:

Monks are actually all Dragonball Z characters, prove me wrong.

i cant prove you wrong because you're right

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

you're stupid and lame :colbert:

i cant prove you wrong because you're right

It's extremely hosed that going super saiyan is not the capstone for monks is what im trying to get at.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I've been tossing around house rule ideas for monks in order to make them better. The current iteration of the idea is to up them to a d10 and add an attack to Flurry of Blows each time the monk die increases. Is this a good route to go? Any other ideas to make monks actually good?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

kingcom posted:

It's extremely hosed that going super saiyan is not the capstone for monks is what im trying to get at.

Yeah having a 1/day limit break where you have unlimited ki and maybe some damage resistance for 60 seconds would be rad, and more interesting choice than "always start fights with a few ki points" or whatever the he the current capstone is.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

Yeah having a 1/day limit break where you have unlimited ki and maybe some damage resistance for 60 seconds would be rad, and more interesting choice than "always start fights with a few ki points" or whatever the he the current capstone is.

Also creates giant craters every time they punch people thats just shaking the whole battlefield and causing saves or fall prone.

EDIT: Alternatively if you want to go full DBZ, you want to have something like 'when an ally dies in sight of you, you count as having unlimited ki points until the killer of that target/target that did the most damage to them, is dead or unconscious'.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 19, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I've been tossing around house rule ideas for monks in order to make them better. The current iteration of the idea is to up them to a d10 and add an attack to Flurry of Blows each time the monk die increases. Is this a good route to go? Any other ideas to make monks actually good?

I'd aim for more cool things to do, or more frequent usage of cool things, rather than upping numbers.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So the DM in my Monty Haul campaign just gave us a spellbook with the following wizard spells (of our choice)
  • four 1st-level spells
  • three 2nd-level spells
  • two 3rd-level spells
  • one 4th-level spell

Any suggestions/best practices for what spells to take?

e: to not double-post:

Toshimo posted:

No? A paralyzed character is also incapacitated, by rule.

I mean, I know it's the thread is duty-bound to poo poo on literally everything that gets published, but if you could dial it back to making GBS threads on things that are actually bad, that would go a long way towards making the thread tolerable.

I hadn't realized that errata for this had come out literally Thursday, but an instance of this mattering came up in my game on Friday; I posted about this completely devoid of the context of whatever was being discussed in this thread (presumably the topic being the errata itself.)

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 19, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

P.d0t posted:

So the DM in my Monty Haul campaign just gave us a spellbook with the following wizard spells (of our choice)
  • four 1st-level spells
  • three 2nd-level spells
  • two 3rd-level spells
  • one 4th-level spell

Any suggestions/best practices for what spells to take?

e: to not double-post:

I hadn't realized that errata for this had come out literally Thursday, but an instance of this mattering came up in my game on Friday; I posted about this completely devoid of the context of whatever was being discussed in this thread (presumably the topic being the errata itself.)

L1
--
Shield
Find Familiar
Sleep
Magic Missile

L2
--
Misty Step
Shatter
Mirror Image

L3
--
Haste
Animate Dead

L4
--
Polymorph

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

As DM I’m looking at the object interaction rule in light of this summary, particularly wrt the dev twitter section at the end. (Spoiler: Mearls says “it’s up to the DM”.)

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/122602/wielding-a-hand-crossbow-and-a-rapier-with-crossbow-expert-feat-while-dropping

I’m going to houserule that a character can start a round holding a 1h melee weapon and a ranged weapon in the other hand. They can stow one, use the other in combat, then draw that stowed weapon again as part of free object interaction - provided they have a convenient scabbard or equivalent for bow or xbow. (Some kind of convenience mechanic is my main caveat here)

I barely consider this a houserule as the RAW says “interact with one object” and not, say “interact once with an object”; therefore you can open and close one door, or draw and sheathe one weapon, but not sheathe a sword and stow a bow, as part of free object interaction.

Are there pitfalls or exploits I’m missing here? How would you break a game with this reading of that rule?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

clusterfuck posted:

As DM I’m looking at the object interaction rule in light of this summary, particularly wrt the dev twitter section at the end. (Spoiler: Mearls says “it’s up to the DM”.)

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/122602/wielding-a-hand-crossbow-and-a-rapier-with-crossbow-expert-feat-while-dropping

I’m going to houserule that a character can start a round holding a 1h melee weapon and a ranged weapon in the other hand. They can stow one, use the other in combat, then draw that stowed weapon again as part of free object interaction - provided they have a convenient scabbard or equivalent for bow or xbow. (Some kind of convenience mechanic is my main caveat here)

I barely consider this a houserule as the RAW says “interact with one object” and not, say “interact once with an object”; therefore you can open and close one door, or draw and sheathe one weapon, but not sheathe a sword and stow a bow, as part of free object interaction.

Are there pitfalls or exploits I’m missing here? How would you break a game with this reading of that rule?

None of this involves spellcasting so nah its fine. Also if they have a hand crossbow, let them wrist mount it assassin's creed style so they can one hand fire, one hand reload (tossing the melee weapon between hands/up in the air all cool like) etc. Don't even bother doing anything complicated with it, just let them attack with both every round as they wish.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I guess if you could just freely swap whenever you could switch to great weapon or polearm at the start of your turn and then back to sword/board at the end.

But any player likely to be trying to pull poo poo like that is already playing a caster, right?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

I’m looking to get it straight as we have a shadow monk with crossbow feat wielding shortsword & hand xbow on the one hand and wizard rogue who dual wields or longbows or casts on the other. It seems the shadow monk is going to get more flexibility out of the rules than the wizard rogue, so long as they insist on dual wielding that is.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

I guess if you could just freely swap whenever you could switch to great weapon or polearm at the start of your turn and then back to sword/board at the end.

But any player likely to be trying to pull poo poo like that is already playing a caster, right?

Well, no, as that involves 3 objects: the polearm, the sword and the shield.

Also, I have that caveat about some scabbard or equivalent convenient storage clip or holster, I’m looking forward to our barbarian demonstrating their glaive scabbard / carry clamp / whatever bullshit they come up with :D

(I’m serious on that, I want the players to come up with their assassin creed gadget designs when they finally reach the deep gnome craft shop... that’s also why I’m cleaning up this rule in advance...)

You’re right though, it was the wizard rogue who’d mostly been pulling these stunts so far.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 19, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Do you really need a rule for it though? It sounds like your intent is for coolshit weapon switching on the fly, like "stab orc and shoot goblin at the same time!". Plus with the whole AssCreed-style weapon gimmicks you've got going on, it sounds like the players ought to be putting in the roleplay/descriptive effort to make that happen, so as long as things don't get too out of hand (in a bad way) you can just go with it.

If you don't have enemies that use these sorts of tricks against the party, you should. Ideally, use them as recurring villains.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

clusterfuck posted:

Well, no, as that involves 3 objects: the polearm, the sword and the shield.

Also, I have that caveat about some scabbard or equivalent convenient storage clip or holster, I’m looking forward to our barbarian demonstrating their glaive scabbard / carry clamp / whatever bullshit they come up with :D

(I’m serious on that, I want the players to come up with their assassin creed gadget designs when they finally reach the deep gnome craft shop... that’s also why I’m cleaning up this rule in advance...)

You’re right though, it was the wizard rogue who’d mostly been pulling these stunts so far.

Take a picture of him with a mouse cord tied to his wrist.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

/\/\ yeah, if it’s the barbarian it’ll be the broomstick / glaive velcroed to their chest or some poo poo.

Re: why have a rule at all: I agree with everything you’re saying, just framing it right for our balance of players. They want consistency and have said so and one in particular loves to stretch rules, which is great. I’d like them to have clear rules that invite creative ideas, I think as a group they prefer that to open slather. Also I often see people online talk about using the drop and pickup shenanigans just to stow and draw one weapon, which is literally too klunky.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 19, 2018

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If someone's "longbow" is flavored as a telekinetically controlled longsword a la the Castlevania anime, does that ruin your funhaving?

D&D 5E has such basic math and vague setting and flavor, I can't imagine playing it survival-style where you track every ration and which free actions are used in what order to draw and stow weapons. The optimized options don't require swapping equipment anyway, it's all polearms and smites and Eldritch Blasts, so isn't swapping between the weaker choices for "coolness" not worth worrying about? If you want the best DPR, that's already a solved problem.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

No but okay.

E: I’m more wondering if there’s some exploit I’m opening up if players can interact with an object to a greater extent than what seems the usual. Like, I’m guessing in standardised AL rules allowing 2+ interactions with one object won’t fly? So, in that environment, someone has to make a call on the basic and vague rules 5e supplies.

For example, a character can use their object interaction to uncover and then cover a marble with darkness cast on it to step away from melee without drawing an attack of opportunity.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Also: Equipping a shield doesn't count as "interact with object." It specifically takes a full action to do.