Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I like different colored trims to denote heroes, maybe leaders of a unit, musicians and standard bearers. I'd do leadbelcher or at least run a dark wash over that pig iron, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh maybe that's what I'll do - Silver each Unit Leader's base.

Work In Progress - decided to try out a "Mostly Green" model instead of just green shoulders/knees. Can't decide which I like more :(

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
If you have Opinions on game balance, now's your chance. I might throw on something about internal balance for Stormcast but I expect it'll get drowned out.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Bestigor mathhammer insanely well. I am now trying to understand Gors vs Ungor, with/without Mystic Shield.

I think Ungor with Spears/Shields is the best choice, but I am really trying to find a use for Gors.

Edit: I don't think there is a clear winner. Ungors have more bodies for holding objectives. However, you get a hell of a lot more damage output from the Gors.

(Ignore how I actually got these numbers, because there is a lot of judgment baked in.)

Effective Wounds:
Gors with Gor Blades: 38 for 210
Gors with Shields: 47 for 210pts
Ungors with Shields: 50 for 200pts

Number of Combat Phases to Breakeven:
Gors with Gor Blades: 1.8
Gors with Shields: 2.1
Ungor with Blades: 2.6
Ungor with Spears: 3.9

Another useful result: if spears let you engage 50%+ more guys, spears are better!

Secondary math hammering:
Ungor Raiders with rerolling ones and twos:
Base: 33.3% hit
Reroll 1s: 38.9% [1/3 × 7/6]
Reroll 1s and 2s: 44.4% [1/3 × 8/6]
Desolating Beastherd Base: 50% [1/6 × 1 + 1/6 × 2]
Desolating Beastherd Reroll 1s: 58.3% [1/2 × 7/6]
Desolating Beastherd Reroll 1s and 2s: 66.7% [1/2 × 8/6]

Desolating Beastherd represents a 50% damage buff for them. This make sense as it, in effect, is a 100% effectiveness buff for 50% of their effective attacks.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 16, 2018

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Any goons going to Adepticon next year? Doing the AoS team tourney on Friday and the grand tourney on the weekend

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I settled on building a Black Knight army, using a Grail Reliquary and ghostly Brettonian lord. I might use one of those things with the blood pool and paint it up like a pool of lake water.

Grail Crusades don't end because the world does :black101:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

Any goons going to Adepticon next year? Doing the AoS team tourney on Friday and the grand tourney on the weekend

Debating some of the non-team tourneys, but I would really have to get my rear end in gear painting the Daughters.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Age of Sugma

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Sugma reality balls!

Settled on a scheme for my Stormfront dudes:

TKIY fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 19, 2018

Meryen
Jul 17, 2014
I’m sure you guys are sick of questions like this:

I’m looking at starting AoS after not being in the hobby for a long time. I am torn between Blades of Khorne and Daughters of Khaine. I like all the synergy stuff that Khorne can do but am worried that the actual modeling part might get tedious since it’s all red and skin.

I really like the DoK line and will probably get some stuff just to paint, but I’m not sure how “good” they actually are.

I guess I’m looking for advice from people who have actually played the game!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Meryen posted:

I’m sure you guys are sick of questions like this:

I’m looking at starting AoS after not being in the hobby for a long time. I am torn between Blades of Khorne and Daughters of Khaine. I like all the synergy stuff that Khorne can do but am worried that the actual modeling part might get tedious since it’s all red and skin.

I really like the DoK line and will probably get some stuff just to paint, but I’m not sure how “good” they actually are.

Daughters of Khaine are pretty good, also they are getting a box set this holiday season.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The box set looks like it'll get snapped up really fast cos DoK are the hot poo poo right now apparently and their regular stuff is out of stock in a variety of places.

I picked up Storm Strike recently as a toe into the hobby and just upgraded to Soul Wars. It's mainly a painting/stress relief thing but heaven help me I'm thinking about picking up an actual army to play. The masochist in me is pushing me towards Kharadron Overlords. I guess I'll figure out how I handle losing every match :) The lore and models are just too good to pass up tho, and that's now important to me then bring competitive. I'm sure all dogs will have their day, especially with the GHB 2019 likely to bring bolstering for them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Got my Stormsire's Cursebreakers to a point where I'm content to call them finished yesterday:

I can't decide if I like the "Green with Silver Pauldrons" or "Silver with Green Pauldrons" look more. I might reserve the latter for unit leaders, or dudes with special weapons.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sab669 posted:

Got my Stormsire's Cursebreakers to a point where I'm content to call them finished yesterday:

I can't decide if I like the "Green with Silver Pauldrons" or "Silver with Green Pauldrons" look more. I might reserve the latter for unit leaders, or dudes with special weapons.

Personally, i quite like the green with silver pauldrons :)
You gotta give their robes a final highlight, though. It looks a little too drab, otherwise.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I did hit the cloaks with some P3 Hammerfall Khaki, but it's really hard to see. I thought about doing a second wash, and then a second highlight of Khaki with White mixed in to lighten it up even further.

I agree that the large quantity of cloth is... overwhelming to the eye, but I'm not sure how best to fix it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Meryen posted:

Do you paint?

Both armies are going to involve painting a lot of fleshtones. Blades of Khorne will probably have around the same number of models as a DoK army, perhaps 10% to 20% more. Both armies will involve a lot of aggressive frontline infantry.

Blades of Khorne will probably be easier to paint. DoK will give you more variety.

Mass painting techniques like dipping will work better on male models. Not being sexist here. Male models usually have darker shading than female models. If you paint female skin the same as male skin, it will read more masculine.

I would read up on painting female skin before embarking on a DoK army.

Play what you like to play and want to paint.

New GW seems genuinely interested in maintaining a balanced game now. So, if you buy a $400 army because its going to give you a lot of wins ... it might not be the best decision.

It sucks to be stuck with last year's power army that you don't even like the models for.

Personal notes:
I bought Blades of Khorne because I wanted to paint bloody Khorne/meth fueled cannibals, and the models look awesome.

I bought Sylvaneth because they have neat mechanics, and rad models that are surprisingly easy to paint.

I bought Beastmen (over the past two weeks) to paint an army of crazed murder beasts. [Beastmen also were the army i wanted to play in 1997, but no 17 year old could afford them.] I think they are going to be easy to paint, and I like their mechanics.

I am all about painting and the possibility of playing. When i was a kid I loved making Shadowrun characters, even though I didn't have anyone to play the game with.

What kind of gamer are you? What parts of the hobby are important to you?

Final disclaimer: I have yet to play a single game of Age of Sigmar, even though I have 255 painted models.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 19, 2018

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sab669 posted:

I did hit the cloaks with some P3 Hammerfall Khaki, but it's really hard to see. I thought about doing a second wash, and then a second highlight of Khaki with White mixed in to lighten it up even further.

I agree that the large quantity of cloth is... overwhelming to the eye, but I'm not sure how best to fix it.

I'm not at all familiar with P3 paints but what you just described might be the best fix. If it still seems too flat after that, i'd hit the edges and highest surfaces (like the biggest folds and on the knee) with straight white. Just little touches, to add further contrast :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Irate Tree posted:

I'm not at all familiar with P3 paints but what you just described might be the best fix. If it still seems too flat after that, i'd hit the edges and highest surfaces (like the biggest folds and on the knee) with straight white. Just little touches, to add further contrast :)

Straight white is probably a good idea.

I'm also considering using two different colors for the "under cloak" and the front-most "little tabard" that hangs down from their chest piece -- I just don't know what color I'd do. Can't do green. I thought maybe dark brown, like the leather straps hanging down from the Leader's armor, but that might be too dark. Maybe the front tabard could just be a much lighter color? :shrug: :(

It's just such a large surface...

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Might I suggest; keep the khaki on the "under-cloak" and make the "little tabard" a nice cream or other pale colour. It'll form a point of distinction.

This is just from my perspective, though. You do what you want to do :)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Got a group shot of my Grand Alliance: Skittles.

The Ungor Raiders on the back right are still being painted but they're adding a little extra blue to the mix (and some much needed ranged attacks).

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

dexefiend posted:

Mass painting techniques like dipping will work better on male models. Not being sexist here. Male models usually have darker shading than female models. If you paint female skin the same as male skin, it will read more masculine.

its not that bad

Flesh-shade over white with a quick pale highlight works great on witch elves

Danimo fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 19, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Thanks for that.

I am 100% about knowing how you are going to approach painting before ordering the army!

... and my wallet thanks you for not showing me that six months ago.

Meryen
Jul 17, 2014

dexefiend posted:

Do you paint?

Both armies are going to involve painting a lot of fleshtones. Blades of Khorne will probably have around the same number of models as a DoK army, perhaps 10% to 20% more. Both armies will involve a lot of aggressive frontline infantry.

Blades of Khorne will probably be easier to paint. DoK will give you more variety.

Play what you like to play and want to paint.

New GW seems genuinely interested in maintaining a balanced game now. So, if you buy a $400 army because its going to give you a lot of wins ... it might not be the best decision.

It sucks to be stuck with last year's power army that you don't even like the models for.

Personal notes:
I bought Blades of Khorne because I wanted to paint bloody Khorne/meth fueled cannibals, and the models look awesome.

I bought Sylvaneth because they have neat mechanics, and rad models that are surprisingly easy to paint.

I bought Beastmen (over the past two weeks) to paint an army of crazed murder beasts. [Beastmen also were the army i wanted to play in 1997, but no 17 year old could afford them.] I think they are going to be easy to paint, and I like their mechanics.

I am all about painting and the possibility of playing. When i was a kid I loved making Shadowrun characters, even though I didn't have anyone to play the game with.

What kind of gamer are you? What parts of the hobby are important to you?

Thanks for the reply! I’m pretty hobby focused, and part of the reason I like DoK and BoK is to learn how to paint skin. I think my main concern is that I don’t want to play an army that will struggle in casual games. But it doesn’t sound like that’s a problem with AoS right now.

I got some Blood Reavers on the way, I think I’ll also pickup a box of Elves and see what I like painting better.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I know within the last few pages, someone asked "How do I expand my Sigmar beyond Soul Wars?" and the advice to round out the Evocator / Sequitors units makes good sense, and the Ballistas seem cool so I'd like another 1 or 2. I've got my Cursebreakers / Far Striders / Champions from Underworlds too, but because I haven't even so much as played a game I can't figure out where to go because I don't know how they feel on the table.

Lord-Arcanum on a Gryph-Charger: Fast punchy guy?
Knight Incantor - mediocre punchy wizard?
Evocators - Do they just stand back and buff my Sequitors? Do I want to get them in melee?
Castigators - Decent ranged
Ballista - seems pretty good
Sequitors - Decent enough punching

They feel kind of Jack of All Trades, and I don't know if I want to just continue with a well-rounded army, or if I should specialize in a particular direction?

There's SO MUCH STUFF in this Battletome. There's, what, 19 Battalions? 53 Units? But a lot of stuff seems "the same but slightly different". Concussors / Desolators / Tempestors / Fulminators are all the same special rules except for the rule for their weapon.

Analysis paralysis out the rear end :psyduck:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Evocators want to be upfront wrecking poo poo. That free MW at the end of combat is golden from what I've seen. Castigators don't really seem great, proxy them as Judicators maybe.

edit: Please note that this is all theory but what I'm going for after asking that very question, watching some BatReps and hanging out at the FLGS with some regular players.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 19, 2018

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

TKIY posted:

Evocators want to be upfront wrecking poo poo. That free MW at the end of combat is golden from what I've seen. Castigators don't really seem great, proxy them as Judicators maybe.

edit: Please note that this is all theory but what I'm going for after asking that very question, watching some BatReps and hanging out at the FLGS with some regular players.

Castigators are a lot better than the mathhammer wizards say they are imo, but you can't slot them in and play them like Judicators (sit on an object and fire at any heroes that wander within two feet). I play 15 castigators in my Soulstrike Brotherhood army and they are good at armor cracking.

Sab669 posted:

So I know within the last few pages, someone asked "How do I expand my Sigmar beyond Soul Wars?" and the advice to round out the Evocator / Sequitors units makes good sense, and the Ballistas seem cool so I'd like another 1 or 2. I've got my Cursebreakers / Far Striders / Champions from Underworlds too, but because I haven't even so much as played a game I can't figure out where to go because I don't know how they feel on the table.

Lord-Arcanum on a Gryph-Charger: Fast punchy guy?
Knight Incantor - mediocre punchy wizard?
Evocators - Do they just stand back and buff my Sequitors? Do I want to get them in melee?
Castigators - Decent ranged
Ballista - seems pretty good
Sequitors - Decent enough punching

They feel kind of Jack of All Trades, and I don't know if I want to just continue with a well-rounded army, or if I should specialize in a particular direction?

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger is great if you are playing other sacrosanct stuff to go with his command ability or want to use his spell to keep high-wound count models up. The Knight-Incantor is what you go to if you just need a Good Wizard for casting random spells and dispelling your opponent's best spell on a key turn. But they aren't reliably "punchy" and shouldn't really get into combat until later rounds when either you're mopping up or you're desperate. Its too easy for the Knight in particular to randomly take 5 wounds in a combat.

Evocators you want in melee all the time. Their Celestial Lighting Arc ability is reliable mortal wound output (the most valuable thing you can do), and their normal attacks are pretty good. They are undercosted, so if you have them play them as much as you can until they go up like 40 points per 5.

Castigators don't look impressive on the spreadsheet but -2 rend shooting is real good and benefit greatly from the aforementioned LAoGC

Ballistas are good at shooting but are very swingy (some games they'll do 3 wounds, some games 15).

Stormcast Eternals isn't an army that forces (or even necessarily wants) you to specialize, and one of its best strengths is the ability to do stuff in every phase. Play the battleline you like, add in heavy-hitters and/or ranged shooters and Lords/Knights that support the plan you go with.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you're going to run a bunch of Ballistae I would consider throwing in a Lord Ordinator to stand by them and buff their hit rolls

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The 2k I'm looking to run is basically that, based on advice on the last page or two.

Lord on Gryph
Castellant
Ordinator
2 x 5 Liberators
20 Sequitors
15 Evocators
3 Ballista
Quicksilver Swords with the last 20pts

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I like the idea of ballista spam a lot, but someone on Reddit also suggested a "Gav Bomb" which is basically just a bunch of Evocators and Gavriel Sureheart deepstriking and then you abuse his Command Ability to guarantee charges go off :shrug: Either way, I'm starting to get a sense of direction is what I'm after.

Last question before I disappear for Thanksgiving and don't have internet access at my parents house: What is the "Battleline"? For example, Judicators say they can only be "Battleline" in a Stormcast Eternal Army.

I looked over the free Core Rules and didn't see anything about this, but maybe I missed it?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Battleline are 'core' units, you need a minimum of 2 for a 1k army, 3 for 2k etc in matched play (aka real) games. There's a few units that are battleline for every army, but sticking to a specific allegiance (e.g. SCE vs generic order) unlocks others. It's a troop tax.

also the free core rules are a lie and will not tell you jack, you'll need the £35 core book and the £20 general's handbook that changes every year. :vomarine:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Gavriel bomb is nasty but it locks you into a Stormhost that doesn't really compliment the Evocators that well.

Not a huge issue though, I understand it wins games if you have a competitive group.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, I don't love the "Hammers of Sigmar" Stormhost. For that "Soul of the Stormhost" ability, do you create a new unit at the "starting strength" of the unit that was destroyed, or do you create a new unit at the strength of the unit just before it was destroyed?

By that I mean if you deployed 10 Sequitors and lost 6, then lost the remaining 4 to a separate wave of attacks. I imagine you create a new unit that's only 4 models strong?

I was bemoaning the lack of options in the Ironjawz tome, but this book is too big :v:

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Yea, I don't love the "Hammers of Sigmar" Stormhost. For that "Soul of the Stormhost" ability, do you create a new unit at the "starting strength" of the unit that was destroyed, or do you create a new unit at the strength of the unit just before it was destroyed?

By that I mean if you deployed 10 Sequitors and lost 6, then lost the remaining 4 to a separate wave of attacks. I imagine you create a new unit that's only 4 models strong?

You get the full strength unit.

Gavriel is good but is just the darling of internet lists since he lets you get into combat first and immediately.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I love that I am probably going to buy the Thunderstrike Brotherhood box, even though I bought the original AoS starter. Most of what I used it mostly for was making rad statues to use as terrain, who knew the game would eventually evolve to not be dogshit.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I love that I am probably going to buy the Thunderstrike Brotherhood box, even though I bought the original AoS starter. Most of what I used it mostly for was making rad statues to use as terrain, who knew the game would eventually evolve to not be dogshit.

Welcome to the good GW game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TKIY posted:

Welcome to the good GW game.

Sorry, I already play Blood Bowl :colbert:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Sorry, I already play Blood Bowl :colbert:

That's a funny way of spelling Kill Team.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I love that I can play Kill Team in 60-90 minutes. But I hate the low volume of dice producing very "swingy" results.

Like, oh I've got 2 Blight Launchers staring down your 2 Frag Grenade Launcher things. You shoot first, kill my Blight Launcher. My second shoots your other guy, I Flesh Wound him. Now he shoots back and kills my other Blight Launcher. GREAT. Guess I'll just pack it up and go home because there's not a loving chance my 2 Fighters, Leader and a couple of Pox are going to accomplish anything from here.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Danimo posted:

You get the full strength unit.

Gavriel is good but is just the darling of internet lists since he lets you get into combat first and immediately.

This is why I love Ungor Raiders so much! Feel free to eat them, bro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Now imagine what it's like if you're playing a faction like chaos which gets access to basically no tactics or variety and you're facing down 2 blight launchers or frag cannons or Tau rail spam or whatever.

I like KT (even if I think it's trash compared to Necromunda or Infinity as a skirmish game), but there are astounding balance problems besides being swingy.