Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

That's hard for me to look at and not think how many thousands more stories like it there will be in the very near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

The Glumslinger posted:

Last weekend, Walmart was kicking out one shelters from their parking lot because they wanted their parking back

when walmart bigwigs die i hope god takes the form of lenin and sends their diseased souls through a literal Bullet Hell

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

That's hard for me to look at and not think how many thousands more stories like it there will be in the very near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AhTGK1ybkk

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Feranon posted:

when walmart bigwigs die i hope god takes the form of lenin and sends their diseased souls through a literal Bullet Hell

Aztec Hell. with no dog spirit guide to guide them past the soul-eating vampire bats and other horrors of Xibalba.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah, from my experience mustelids a nightmare for gnomes and leprachauns. Once I saw a stoat take out a whole hive. It was horrifying with blood and little hats and little shoes all over the place.

The most adorable and playful slaughter of gnome folk.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Is it possible that if someone dies in this forest fire, they just vaporize with no forensic evidence left? Those fires get pretty hot.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Is it possible that if someone dies in this forest fire, they just vaporize with no forensic evidence left? Those fires get pretty hot.

if the sky laser hits you directly, yes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Big Dick Cheney posted:

good news! we already have an established tradition of just never acknowledging deaths in natural disasters, like how hundreds or thousands of people are still "missing" after Katrina because they were in prison and the staff evacuated while leaving them locked up

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

good news! we already have an established tradition of just never acknowledging deaths in natural disasters, like how hundreds or thousands of people are still "missing" after Katrina because they were in prison and the staff evacuated while leaving them locked up

PRISONER: Please do not leave us here! Unlock us! We will drown! You are leaving us to die!
GUARD: I am leaving you only to "missing", do not worry I will shoot a looter in your name.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

Epic High Five posted:

yeah there's at least a thousand people "unaccounted for" after paradise burned down and there's a good chance that most of those folks are dead but they won't officially be categorized as such until they find the remains....which there aren't any of

see also: all the "unaccounted for" hurricane victims who are currently underwater skeletons

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

why not call it camp creek fire then

Because the river's not on fire.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thousands of people are still "missing" from the tsunami in Japan a few years back because their bodies were washed out to sea, but the official categorization isn't really that important. In a couple months it'll be pretty clear that all the people still missing are dead.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Feranon posted:

yeah there's at least a thousand people "unaccounted for" after paradise burned down and there's a good chance that most of those folks are dead but they won't officially be categorized as such until they find the remains....which there aren't any of

see also: all the "unaccounted for" hurricane victims who are currently underwater skeletons

not even underwater lol

staff got back to the prisons afterwards and wrote up a report about how sinister gang elements from MS-13 snuck in, released all the prisoners, and replaced them with picked over skeletons

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

not even underwater lol

staff got back to the prisons afterwards and wrote up a report about how sinister gang elements from MS-13 snuck in, released all the prisoners, and replaced them with picked over skeletons

what if they are right and ms-13 are the plucky freedom fighters we need in these trying times

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Epic High Five posted:

not even underwater lol

Is this real or a joke

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Is this real or a joke

Welcome

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ikanreed posted:

Is this real or a joke

you can tell it's not real because in reality the prison just sent a request to a local judge that they have a contract to fill empty beds in their facility with prisoners and to find a reason to send the next thousand or so people to jail for whatever they're in court for

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I think a lot of people have no idea just how insanely dystopian the american prison system really is. "well we left all the prisoners to die, but we gotta keep profits up so arrest more people for us!" is just the tip of the iceberg

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Al! posted:

id like to think having their lives destroyed by the fire would awaken the chuds to the reality of climate change and a new understanding that the refugees at the southern border are just like them but of course the camps will be hotbeds of right wing radicalization

why would people who suddenly lost everything discover compassion

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Feranon posted:

Oh, c'mon, don't be dramatic

skeletons don't last very long in salt water, a year at most

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Luneshot posted:

I think a lot of people have no idea just how insanely dystopian the american prison system really is. "well we left all the prisoners to die, but we gotta keep profits up so arrest more people for us!" is just the tip of the iceberg

Pennsylvania had a minor scandal where the private juvenile prison companies were outright bribing a judge a set fee for every child he sentenced to their jails. Luckily we caught the bad apple, and the rest of the bunch is unspoiled!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Luneshot posted:

it's this, especially in Louisiana

google "Palantir" for a good look into tech hell dystopia

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

why would people who suddenly lost everything discover compassion

People?sure! Chuds? Ehh * hand eiggle5*

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Al! posted:

id like to think having their lives destroyed by the fire would awaken the chuds to the reality of climate change and a new understanding that the refugees at the southern border are just like them but of course the camps will be hotbeds of right wing radicalization

funny joke

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

:drat:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Big Dick Cheney posted:

crematorium ovens operate a few hundred degrees hotter than a forest fire at ground level and even they have chunks of bone left over

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

crematorium ovens operate a few hundred degrees hotter than a forest fire at ground level and even they have chunks of bone left over

but good luck finding an errant phalange bone in a charred hellscape

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Posted on Reddit/Facebook

Y'all, I don't even know how to begin to describe the devastation here. (Updated 11/15 @ 7:15 pm) 631 people still missing. 63 confirmed dead. 8,756 residences confirmed destroyed. Hundreds of animals confirmed dead. Thousands still missing. Thousands being cared for in evacuation shelters. It's not just Paradise that has been effected -- even though they are getting the most media coverage. The foothills of the Sierras are filled with little and medium size towns where tens of thousands of people live.

Chico is a city of approximately 100,000 people. We were facing a housing crisis previous to the fire with a less than 1% vacancy rate and pretty much ZERO affordable housing. There are going to be tens of thousands of people who have lots their homes and can't go back home because of environmental toxins. We have 1,000 people LIVING in the Walmart parking lot right now because so many of our evacuation shelters are full.

The shelters (official and not) are being hit by the norovirus which is contagious and causes vomiting and diarrhea. The air is toxic -- everyone is wearing N95 masks and still we having burning lungs and eyes. It looks like a zombie apocalypse because of the smoke blotting out the sun and haze for days and miles. The sun has been blocked for so long so now it's getting much colder than it typically is -- at night it's down in the 30s and we have people camping in tents at Walmart.

The National Guard is here. FEMA arrived yesterday. FEMA has rented out the old Sears to set up base. I heard someone was renting out Toys R Us so we could convert it to a shelter. We already have struggled to keep people safe and warm over the winter months before the fire, I literally have no idea how we're going to do it now.

Schools have been cancelled all week and will be cancelled again next week (in conjunction with the holiday break). I can't imagine coming back to school on the 26th and acting like everything is normal. So much chaos and displacement. So much trauma. How can I expect anything of students who are dealing with so much?

We have friends who drove through flames and only narrowly escaped with their lives. We have many people who jumped out of their cars and RAN down the mountain because that was the better option than sitting and waiting to be engulfed in flames in their cars. What are we going to do with everyone and everything displaced? Chico literally cannot absorb everyone.

How can we heal from this massive, wide-scale trauma? I have literally no ability to imagine normalcy. Everyone is talking about "rebuilding" and being "Butte Strong" but as a public health professional who has traveled extensively around the developing world I just can't see it happening. I know we'll continue to move forward because that's how time and life works, but I can't imagine recovery. It's too much. We have the nation's attention right now, but how long will that last? Not long enough I already know. The rest of the world is marching on and we are stuck in this horror show.

I'm sorry this is verbal word vomit -- but I just need people outside of Butte County to understand. I keep hearing all these positive messages and how can we help and I just don't know what to say. Yes, people are being amazing right now and our community is helping however we can, but compassion fatigue will set in. REGULAR fatigue will set in. The trauma and devastation will grow.

I just don't know how we are going to recover from this. Please don't offer platitudes. I can't handle them right now. If you don't like this message then keep scrolling. Or delete me. I don't want any loving positive Polly messages right now. This is devastation like you cannot imagine if you aren't here, and if you are here you are doing whatever you can to hold on and I understand. I just needed to get this out. I haven't felt this hopeless in a long time. I don't have solutions, I don't have things to hang onto for better days. This is awful and terrible and I just don't know what to do. I don't need anything. Our family has everything we need. We're doing all the self-care possible. We're carrying on with life, volunteering our time and resources, but none of this is ok. Just know that.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
it's truly tragic that a few thousand americans are forced to live the way that the american war machine has forced millions to live across the globe

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

too bad FEMA does not actually exist

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the bitcoin of weed posted:

too bad FEMA does not actually exist

tbf i don't know what you can do to fix "everything you have known for your entire life including your career and your home and possibly your friends and relatives have burned up overnight and there's nothing to ever go back to because the economy wasn't doing great in the first place and you'll never rebuild"

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

Al! posted:

tbf i don't know what you can do to fix "everything you have known for your entire life including your career and your home and possibly your friends and relatives have burned up overnight and there's nothing to ever go back to because the economy wasn't doing great in the first place and you'll never rebuild"

eat the rich??? :shrug:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Norovirus is no minor thing. Between potential sky-high fevers, dehydration, and the ease of transmission where there’s inadequate sanitation, those poor refugees could be in for a world of hurt.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Al! posted:

It would be cool if the CA govt used some of the $15b in our ironically named "Rainy Day Fund" to build 10,000 units of housing by Chico or whatever, but in the alternative I imagine that private charities and FEMA will work together to at least get them enough coffins.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Al! posted:

maybe put up some food and shelter for the people making GBS threads all over each other in a walmart parking lot at the very least. long term, maybe help with permanent resettlement? hard to say

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

It would be cool if the CA govt used some of the $15b in our ironically named "Rainy Day Fund" to build 10,000 units of housing by Chico or whatever, but in the alternative I imagine that private charities and FEMA will work together to at least get them enough coffins.

I mean an entire day of rain would be a disaster in a lot of California

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Maybe it could pay for them to move to a different state less wracked by wildfires + in need of more democrat voters just a thought here

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the bitcoin of weed posted:

maybe put up some food and shelter for the people making GBS threads all over each other in a walmart parking lot at the very least. long term, maybe help with permanent resettlement? hard to say

that's not FEMAs job, their job is to funnel money to private contractors to pretend to do those things

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Maybe it could pay for them to move to a different state less wracked by wildfires + in need of more democrat voters just a thought here

it wasn't democrat voters that got displaced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Vox Nihili posted:

Hell yeah they only need to live in tents for a year until their house is built then it can get burned down again a few years later when the chaparral does its thing.