Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Simiain posted:

The game seems to offer substantially more than Borderlands 2 did, and people didnt hate that??

I mean I get the hate, but taken out of the Bethesda/Fallout 4 context it seems like a basically competent if buggy survivor/shooty/lootery game.

The draw for me is just dinking around the world exploring and listening to the lore, that and watching my numbers go up.

That game is 6 years old!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I honestly find Destiny 2 to be a superior Borderlands game and Destiny 2 is not exactly without its problems.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VanillaGorilla posted:

This game has its problems, but I legit find the Responders line and the Overseer's story pretty good - somehow the lore in this game is better than Fallout 4. Descending into the mine and passing the Firefighter's final exam was really good and atmospheric.

Honestly the right way to play this game is to pretty strictly follow the main quest. It's way better than it should be and this game hits it's worst when you do the "run in a random direction and try to make your own adventure" like other fallout or elder scrolls game support. The main story and the stuff around it is actually really good. Like it has the problems everything has like everyone being dead minutes before you find them but stuff like the airport diaries were legit well done in a way not much fallout stuff is.

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug

VanillaGorilla posted:

This game has its problems, but I legit find the Responders line and the Overseer's story pretty good - somehow the lore in this game is better than Fallout 4. Descending into the mine and passing the Firefighter's final exam was really good and atmospheric.

Of course, the Physical Exam preceding it really highlighted all the worst parts of the game right now, but that's Fallout 76 all over. A land of contrasts.

Yeah the physical exam wasn't my favorite but it was pretty challenging for my run through it. A Snallygaster 5 levels above me spawned in right where the arrows are directing you on the ground after going through that building. It broke my legs and then killed me as I tried to run past, had to kill him by throwing a metric shitload of frag grenades at him and then was able to make it through on the next attempt. Maybe that thing spawns in every time, but it was a huge Oh poo poo moment for me at the time.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Oppression posted:

Yeah the physical exam wasn't my favorite but it was pretty challenging for my run through it. A Snallygaster 5 levels above me spawned in right where the arrows are directing you on the ground after going through that building. It broke my legs and then killed me as I tried to run past, had to kill him by throwing a metric shitload of frag grenades at him and then was able to make it through on the next attempt. Maybe that thing spawns in every time, but it was a huge Oh poo poo moment for me at the time.

Most of my issue with the exam was that the game (on a BONE X) started hitching like a motherfucker randomly while I was trying to do my run. Also, there are plenty of places you can get stuck on geometry or have a stroke trying to climb stairs. Platforming hasn't ever been a Fallout strong point.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I found my first CAMP that wasn't my own, wanted to mess around a bit with is so I took out 2 walls with a machete and hit their turrets which didn't seem to fight back because they were on the inside. Got a 70 cap bounty put on me, no one cared for the longest time until a lvl 50 player came by with a bunch of mobs they aggroed and watched me almost die to their mobs for a while before wasting me with a cryo gun. I was good with it until I had to repair my camp later and found out it only takes 1 wood and 1 steel maybe to repair a wall? There doesn't seem to be much point in trashing someone else's base when it takes half my caps in a bounty and only costs them a few junk to repair.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
You can trash some base components so hard they cease to exist. Two pubs were tag teaming a mid level goon while attempting to trash bits of his base. Enter the power armored goonstartes kill team of 8 dudes in higher level PA with “Interesting” weapons.

We chased them off and I tracked them to their base. We had just left the nuclear zone and I had a TON of explosives. A quick summons of the PA horde and we started dumping 40mm and missiles into their base till it was just a bare wooden frame.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Borderlands had cool shooting, 4 distinct characters, vehicles, people to talk to... I don’t see the comparison.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I was on a mission with a pubbie, and a scorchbeast choosed the time to attack. This resulted in EXPLOSIONS. Mr. Torque would be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNTWx339J3g

---

I just have build artillery on my base. :D

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 18, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tei posted:

I was on a mission with a pubbie, and a scorchbeast choosed the time to attack. This resulted in EXPLOSIONS. Mr. Torque would be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNTWx339J3g

---

I just have build artillery on my base. :D

You were doing the quest for the order of the mysterious ladies. Same thing happened to me.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Twice now I’ve had my camp randomly pack up when I log in for no apparent reason. I traveled back to where it was both times and there wasn’t even another player camped there. Even better, it appears to not pack up any turrets that you place on the ground, so I started placing them on foundations. I’ve had a total of 4 turrets eaten up when my camp gets packed, with another one just randomly vanishing out of my camp. I couldn’t even repair it, it was just gone.

It’s so loving buggy, and if it happens again I may just forgo setting up a camp. I really like having a renewable source of purified water and food though. :(

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1064191519215767552

This loving game I swear.

I've been having a lot of fun playing with goons, but the bad bits of the game are exhausting at times.

Call me when they deliver the next major patch. I need a palate cleanse with some games that aren't broken to poo poo for a week or two.

Before I go, have some goon nuke photos:

Bonus goth album cover:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 18, 2018

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

Hakarne posted:

Twice now I’ve had my camp randomly pack up when I log in for no apparent reason. I traveled back to where it was both times and there wasn’t even another player camped there. Even better, it appears to not pack up any turrets that you place on the ground, so I started placing them on foundations. I’ve had a total of 4 turrets eaten up when my camp gets packed, with another one just randomly vanishing out of my camp. I couldn’t even repair it, it was just gone.

It’s so loving buggy, and if it happens again I may just forgo setting up a camp. I really like having a renewable source of purified water and food though. :(

This happens when you join a server that has an existing CAMP in the same spot as yours.

It's terrible and kind of crazy that rather than implement some sort of intelligent matchmaking that selects a server without an overlapping CAMP, or at the very least a popup warning you before uhhh, completely wiping all of your stuff.

EDIT: It stinks even more because most of the time it's happened, it's the same minimal effort 2x2 box house on stilts replacing this base I've spent way too much effort on.

Mr. Podunkian fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 18, 2018

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Mr. Podunkian posted:

This happens when you join a server that has an existing CAMP in the same spot as yours.

It's terrible and kind of crazy that rather than implement some sort of intelligent matchmaking that selects a server without an overlapping CAMP, or at the very least a popup warning you before uhhh, completely wiping all of your stuff.

EDIT: It stinks even more because most of the time it's happened, it's the same minimal effort 2x2 box house on stilts replacing this base I've spent way too much effort on.

No, the thing is there wasn’t another camp (my second sentence). I traveled back immediately when I noticed the icon missing. There was no camp and no other players were even remotely close.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Building things with your friends was the part I was most excited about for this game, when it became obvious how bad it would be I completely fell out with the hype on this game. One of the few areas this game could've been unique (compared to destiny or borderlands at least) is settlement building and they totally boned it. I'll pick it up if they ever fix that but I don't have high hopes.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Donovan Trip posted:

Building things with your friends was the part I was most excited about for this game, when it became obvious how bad it would be I completely fell out with the hype on this game. One of the few areas this game could've been unique (compared to destiny or borderlands at least) is settlement building and they totally boned it. I'll pick it up if they ever fix that but I don't have high hopes.

Building things with your friends IS fun. In fact, the most fun I've had with this lovely game is helping goons build and trick out their bases. It's areas like that where this broken rushed game on a creaky old engine shows its most potential. The more awful bullshit they're able to patch out and the more content like that they're able to double down on the better.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think if it was a game where the narrative drive was rebuilding society, and you had private servers where you and your friends continually build settlements that you get to return to, plus have a traditional npc/quest system, it'd be a great game. Getting to see the work, and watch the world slowly change, that could have been cool. Watching NPCs join your settlement was a big part of building in fallout 4- i want to see that, and give them jobs while me and my friends go out to quest for the betterment of the camp.

The goals of this game as is are too diffuse, and often at odds with each other. Each system rubs elbows with the other, not quite clicking. I got my fill of this game on twitch streams, now I'm waiting and hoping Bethesda figures it out. They insulate from criticism and are used to it to a degree but this time I think the detractors are right.

It's like Bethesda never stopped and asked themselves if this was a good idea or not.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 18, 2018

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Building things with your friends IS fun. In fact, the most fun I've had with this lovely game is helping goons build and trick out their bases. It's areas like that where this broken rushed game on a creaky old engine shows its most potential. The more awful bullshit they're able to patch out and the more content like that they're able to double down on the better.

If I could mod this game I'd patch in an audio log of your posts getting increasingly frustrated with fallout 76

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

well the power armor glitch happened to me twice. infuriating glitch. super fun losing a chassis twice.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Leopards eating pipboy’s face

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I honestly find Destiny 2 to be a superior Borderlands game and Destiny 2 is not exactly without its problems.

Destiny's actual gunplay is superior to Borderlands which has incredibly lovely "gun feel" and physics. Rage 2 will probably be the "Borderlands of the future" people want.

Are there Synths in F76? All I see in vids are mutants and zombie guys, was wondering if robots are a thing at this point in the series. Fallout 4 actually had some interesting things revolving around the whole "fake person" dichotomy.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Has anyone noticed they've lifted the Fallout 4 grenade launcher mod and just threw it in 76, miss-aligned hand animation and all.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They stopped and asked themselves if they could make money on this, and the answer was yes

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Zelder posted:

If I could mod this game I'd patch in an audio log of your posts getting increasingly frustrated with fallout 76

I knew what I was getting myself into with this from the start. Quite frankly, any backlash bethesda gets over this rushed game is well deserved.

I'm still gonna wrench whatever fun this game has out of it long-term, and playing with goons is fun. I'm just at my tolerance limit at the moment so will be waiting on the next patch - which apparently is dropping on the 19th.

Back Hack posted:

Has anyone noticed they've lifted the Fallout 4 grenade launcher mod and just threw it in 76, miss-aligned hand animation and all.

Holy poo poo, really? Got a link to the mod?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So when do you guys think they'll fix the double perk glitch?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I’m enjoying the game, but holy poo poo are the servers buggy. I got kicked off three times last night.

Imagine if the game was popular with lots of players.

Also can I not collect a billion holotapes of the same audio. Certainly there’s a way for a holotape to not respawn if I already have a copy.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
fallout 76 drops to 40 bucks Black Friday

BIG YIKES

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

greenman was 12% off by the end of the first day.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Seeing all these "if I relentlessly attempt to eke out a moment of fun from this buggy nonsense inbetween losing my items, CAMP, power armor chassis, or just plain falling through the earth, its worth and I knew what I was getting into" type posts here and on other sites is pretty funny.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

Seeing all these "if I relentlessly attempt to eke out a moment of fun from this buggy nonsense inbetween losing my items, CAMP, power armor chassis, or just plain falling through the earth, its worth and I knew what I was getting into" type posts here and on other sites is pretty funny.

Maybe they actually are enjoying themselves despite everything :shrug:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thats a big ol :allears:

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

hmm, that may fix my fun/jank/cost venn diagram. I do miss some Fallout. . .

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
what was the andromeda discount swiftness again?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

highmodulus posted:

hmm, that may fix my fun/jank/cost venn diagram. I do miss some Fallout. . .

You're playing into their hands.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

what was the andromeda discount swiftness again?

I think it took slightly longer. Like two weeks. Maybe ten days.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
$20 USD is my price point for the game. I expect key resellers will be there on black Friday. They are already at 36.

As much as we rag on the game if its because we wish it wasn't a steaming pile of poo poo. If they had put out a half way decent version of this game they would be rolling in cash.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

I'm less than satisfied with Bethesda's asset recycling cach grab, but it's black friday. That's what you do for black friday, you put everything on sale.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm less than satisfied with Bethesda's asset recycling cach grab, but it's black friday. That's what you do for black friday, you put everything on sale.

You don't put brand new games on sale a week after launch. It's not done except out of desperation.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Nichael posted:

I think it took slightly longer. Like two weeks. Maybe ten days.

when your game is a bigger trash fire than mass effect andromeda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Raged posted:

$20 USD is my price point for the game. I expect key resellers will be there on black Friday. They are already at 36.

As much as we rag on the game if its because we wish it wasn't a steaming pile of poo poo. If they had put out a half way decent version of this game they would be rolling in cash.

My rough guesstimate for about how long it'll take them to bash this game into something decent that I could recommend would be about a year and a half. For the time being, I'm telling anyone on the fence about this game to avoid it until they fix the hell out of it, and add in better content.

In addition to the fixes this game desperately needs - if they ever allow for custom modded player-run dedicated servers and give players the freedom to mod the game at will there, it will be pretty all right.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 19, 2018