Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

[Edit] Removed poorly written lazy post from last night. Doing my own homework.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Yo follow your dreams you can achieve your goals

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's not really a synth, but an intelligent MPE midi controller. I was wondering if anyone had ever been lucky enough to try a LinnStrument before?

(If you have the time, skip through this, or watch the entire video with your mouth open, many times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flKMz9UmqAw )

I only came across the LinnStrument the other day, and I'm already thinking about selling my Eigenharp Tau to get one of these.

The Eigenharps are incredibly sensitive, and can detect movement to 0.4 micron in all 3 axis. I've set mine up on a stand, and I can play it using the same pressure as I'd use to erotically stroke partners wrist with each finger. It really needs the lightest of touch. I'd already dismissed the Rolli range, as that looked as though it needed a fair bit of pressure.

My major problem is I can't get full MPE note individuality, as the Eigenharp software environment is 32 bit, and my EastWest Play VST is 64 bit only. I can get around this through piping everything through midi and using Ableton Live as the host, but if I bend one note, it affects them all. Same with y and z axis of course. The Eigenharp software is pretty much abandoned now. It's stable, and works, but doesn't look like it's going to become 64 bit anytime soon. The LinnStrument is designed sensibly. It will be able to do what I want it to do.

Does anyone know how sensitive the LinnStrument is, and the pressure needed to trigger the notes? I have strength issues with my hands due to health reasons, and want to future proof my studio in case my health gets any worse.

I used to be a violinist by trade, and I really miss the freedom of individual fretless strings, and the expressiveness that the instrument gave me. The LinnStrument might be what I've been desperately searching for the past 12 years.... Is it as good as it appears on the youtube vids?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Yea basically. I don’t know if there were growing pains on older firmware but it’s one man’s ego trip, wholly realized.
I use it over MIDI mostly but have played with those bitwig MPE patches made for it over USB, didn’t notice a difference in performance. I like playing it a lot more than other alternative controllers I’ve tried, enough to pick one up over a roli or haken.

e: it’s not often to pick up an instrument and just say “yes of course” again and again in your head because of feel or ui. It’s definitely One of Those. (for a view into my madness, I’d put MnM, EPS, Perfourmer in that list)

Startyde fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 15, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I've only briefly used it at Sweetwater's Gearfest a few years ago (while chatting with Roger) and I still have a powerful lust for one. It certainly wasn't any less responsive than any other MIDI controller, and I thought it felt significantly better than most MPC pads I've used, and miles ahead of a Roli keyboard.

And yes, it's quite intuitive from a player's standpoint, especially when you can configure it to use similar fingerings that you might be used to.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Cubase 10 is out. No new synths but a bunch of stuff to make synthing easier I guess. Digging the new channel strip, I'll not be wasting valuable insert (aka distortion) slots on compression as much now you can expand the compressors in the strip.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Thanks for your input. I'm going to put my thinking cap on over the weekend. I think I've watched every video there is of the LinnStrument, and I can't find any faults with it... I may tentatively put the Eigenharp up for sale and see if I get any bites.

e: I wrote an email to the company a couple of days ago, and only just realised that Roger himself replied overnight with a hell of a lot of detail. Not only did he offer me a 20% disability discount if ordered direct from the US (which would be sadly wiped out by UK VAT + import duties), he's also offered to negotiate a discount for Audio Modelling's impulse control string library.

Decision made. I'm going to put the Tau up for sale over the weekend.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 16, 2018

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
That's really thoughtful of him. Congratulations!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Roger is the most pleasant industry dude I’ve ever talked to. He genuinely loves making things easier for people.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Thanks for your input. I'm going to put my thinking cap on over the weekend. I think I've watched every video there is of the LinnStrument, and I can't find any faults with it... I may tentatively put the Eigenharp up for sale and see if I get any bites.

e: I wrote an email to the company a couple of days ago, and only just realised that Roger himself replied overnight with a hell of a lot of detail. Not only did he offer me a 20% disability discount if ordered direct from the US (which would be sadly wiped out by UK VAT + import duties), he's also offered to negotiate a discount for Audio Modelling's impulse control string library.

Decision made. I'm going to put the Tau up for sale over the weekend.

Roger’s a trill og. He’s the one who took my purchase info for the extra yr warranty. We had a back and forth, you can tell he’s very excited about evangelizing the thing.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He's responded to today's emails within 20 minutes of me sending them, and he's going to be approaching Audio Modelling tomorrow to tell them about me and try to get me a freebie or a discount. He's an incredible chap. Mind blown. He genuinely believes in his instrument, and has me sold. (does anyone need a kidney btw? asking for a friend).

He comes across amazingly humble too, and never slags off the competition. He's explained how the piano keyboard only exists because the technology of the day required a string behind each note, and that today's technology needs a newer interface. And he's right. He explains how on a piano, to play a scale, you'd have to play 12 differently fingered iterations of the same scale depending on the root note, and he's right. There's only one fingering for each scale on the Linnstrument, so it's 12 times easier to play than a piano keyboard. And he's right.

There's a 25 minute discussion in front of a live audience where he sells himself and the Linnstrument really well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmyqM3ntTdQ

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 17, 2018

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Arg. I previously talked myself out of wanting one of these since I barely use the stuff I have, but I'm such a sucker for great design and thoughtful product designers / owners.

You aren't helping. Please continue not helping by letting us know what you think of it when it arrives.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

One thing he does that I think hurts sales rather than helps is show off EVERY drat THING on the youtube demos, even stuff that's of real questionable utility and sounds ham as crap when he does it like strum mode.
He should toss a couple NFR units and gopros around some conservatory kids to see what they can come up with or something.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Startyde posted:

One thing he does that I think hurts sales rather than helps is show off EVERY drat THING on the youtube demos, even stuff that's of real questionable utility and sounds ham as crap when he does it like strum mode.
He should toss a couple NFR units and gopros around some conservatory kids to see what they can come up with or something.

I think he's been reaching out just for that. The first vid I posted was someone else just playing various patches and equipment with the Linnstrument. I definitely saw one vid or post by him where he's been reaching out to Linnstrument players and asking them to produce vids to show how they are utilising it. Re: the detail, I guess there's so much to show off and explain.

havelock posted:

Arg. I previously talked myself out of wanting one of these since I barely use the stuff I have, but I'm such a sucker for great design and thoughtful product designers / owners.

You aren't helping. Please continue not helping by letting us know what you think of it when it arrives.

I've still got to sell the Tau first. Or a kidney. Either or.

And sorry... not sorry. lol.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mistayke posted:

Jesus Christ, the prices for some of these things is completely off the hook insane.
The CS80 costs even more, but just like you see those astronomy gifs and Arcturus and don't know about UY Scuti yet, original Moog Modulars go for even more, and there's this monstrous EMS Synthi 100 modular that is probably in the 6 figure range, along with TONTO.

quote:

I haven't looked at vintage synths, but my God, it's like I should have invested and just put the things in storage for 30 years.
Google or Apple stock would've been a better decision in every single way. The problem with synth nerds is that there's a very small audience for those really expensive ones, and a CS80 eats voice boards for lunch.

Fun fact! In the mid/late 90s a Jupiter 6 or MKS-80 would be sold for more than a Jupiter 8. Why? Because they had MIDI. Same with the Juno-60/106. It wasn't because nobody built retrofits, and Roland themselves even made a MIDI to DCB box.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Makes me happy I picked up the Arturia V Collection, just for the ability to play around with synths/samplers I'll never see in real life like the CS-80, Moog Modular, or Fairlight CMI.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

MrSargent posted:

Makes me happy I picked up the Arturia V Collection, just for the ability to play around with synths/samplers I'll never see in real life like the CS-80, Moog Modular, or Fairlight CMI.

There's a fairly attainable rackmount repro of the CS-80, https://www.deckardsdream.com/

Even has poly aftertouch

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
So I have a 4U SKB rack case that I've had for years, and in all those years, I've only found 3U worth of stuff to put in it: currently it has my 8in/8out audio interface, a Digitech RDS1000 chorus/delay/reverb/phaser, and a TC Electronic M-One XL reverb/fx unit. I really wanna get something to fill the last 1u of space, but I'm not sure what I wanna put there; currently the leading option is either some cheap 80's/90's Roland ROMpler rackmount, like a D-110 (I used to have a D-110, and it was in fact, my first real synthesizer of any kind, and I still have a soft spot for those vintage Roland ROMpler pads and pianos), but I'm not sure which one I want; the other option I'm considering is some form of rackmount FX unit, but as I've already got both a modern and vintage multiFX units, as well as some stompboxes that already can more than handle all my reverb/delay/phaser needs, I dunno what else I could possibly fit in there as far as an effect. I could use a good distortion effect, especially if it can do more than one type of distortion, but I dunno of any that are rackmount and 1U.

So I need suggestions for good 1U synths that are fairly cheap (sub $300 is what I'm kinda looking for). The 1U height limit rules out a lotta other stuff I'd be interested in (a JV-1080 or XV-5080, or any of the MKS-series, all at least 2U), as well as pretty much anything currently available new that I'd be willing to save up a while for (like an Integra-7 module (2U high) or Kemper Profiler rack (3U high).

Especial preference for something with good e-piano/organ/acoustic piano presets, as that's the primary thing I'm needing in my live rig (it could replace having to drag my JX-305 along, since that and pads are the only thing it ever gets used for these days), and I've already got all the knob-covered-analog-synthy poo poo covered with all my other synths (the aforementioned JX-305 is literally the only synth I have that isn't knob-per-function as well as the only non-analog/virtual-analog synth I have). With the note that I don't care how awful the interface or menu-diving is as long as the presets are solid, does anyone have any good suggestions for cheap 1U height ROMpler type synths?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

What about like two jv-1010s or a xv-5050 or something? You can get that synth in the footprint you want (there are a couple other half or full 1 u options w/ similar model numbers that are basically the same engine) and they show up for that price pretty regularly.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

JamesKPolk posted:

What about like two jv-1010s or a xv-5050 or something? You can get that synth in the footprint you want (there are a couple other half or full 1 u options w/ similar model numbers that are basically the same engine) and they show up for that price pretty regularly.

For the JV-1010s, I'd rather get one rather than two synths, because I'm already short on MIDI outs and mixer ins as it is, and if I get two, at least one of them would have to be left unplugged 99.999% of the time, both because it's redundant to have two identical preset-only modules, and because having to move everything around so I can get at the back of my rack to actually get at the rear panels of anything is a huge undertaking in my tiny studio space (my eurorack is sitting on top of the rack case, which is on top of a table, and the cables going into and out of all that stuff doesn't have enough slack to let me spin everything around while it's still plugged in). I'd also dismissed other half-width units like the Alesis nano series for the same reasons.

For the XV-5050, it's tied with another D-110 for what I will likely end up getting, with the only downside to 5050s is they appear to be less common than the 3080 and 5080: https://reverb.com/p/roland-xv-5050-64-voice-digital-synthesizer-module (yeah, I already know there's several on ebay).

I'm mostly worried I may have missed some other really interesting 1U rack synth from someone other than Roland that might be fun to have or that I didn't know I needed until now.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 19, 2018

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I just got one of these today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxGTPzhAVRg

Also, all the rest of my synths are finally off the boat. I hope the ribbon will play nice with my 0-coast.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Again, not a synth, but a controller... and one that might be of interest to some of you.

One of the problems that a lot of people have is that they only have so many fingers, hands and feet to be able to control their rigs. This USB midi breath controller also has a bite sensor as well as a head tilt sensor, all assignable to CC messages. http://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-breath-bite-controller-2. You can see it being used along with a Magic Leap Motion hand controller in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDm7LqbV5No

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'm working on a breath controller of my own, and during my research for it I watched a presentation by CCRMA's Julius O. Smith where he talked about that particular style of controller; he attributed their commercial failure to the fact that many keyboarders were hesitant to adopt the technology because of how goofy it looked to wear and play. That said, you'd be hard pressed to find a more affordable entry into the wonderful world of wind synthesis.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

snorch posted:

you'd be hard pressed to find a more affordable entry into the wonderful world of wind synthesis.

Uh excuse me I've been synthesizing wind for years with no monetary investment at all.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Two hours it took for that joke to materialise. This place isn't what it used to be.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

iPad music making people, what's your preferred "DAW"? Like, I don't need a traditional DAW, just something to exist as the brain for a bunch of synth apps and, ideally, take advantage of it being an iPad. I've used Cubasis (though not for a couple of years) and Gadget and they're both cool, but I'm curious if there's anything else out there that takes advantage of the platform in neat ways.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I have a Linnstrument 128 that I bought in July and have been in love with it ever since. Here's a video of me playing some chords and a melody with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HGjNHK8tTI

I haven't used a keyboard in ages nor my guitar, and so many of my new tracks came about just by hammering out a sweet bassline or lead during a Linnstrument jam session and basing the track around that. This Vaporwave-esque melody happened while I was jamming live and then I kept repeating the melody so that I could loop it with the Push 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=johFYJVZmxQ

I'm a big fan of the isometric layout since its really easy to transpose scales and chords, and the expressive playing is really awesome although I haven't used much of it in the past month and a half and that brings me to my only complaint. I've used it so much in the past few months that I've worn down the coating on the silicone membrane, making it almost impossible to do slides properly. Roger is aware of the issue and on his forums he posted that new membranes for the 128 will be available 'sometime in 2019'. The new membranes will cost $60 and use a different formula which has a coating that won't wear off.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Any tips on Black Friday/ cyber Monday gear that none of us need but will inevitably get

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Any tips on Black Friday/ cyber Monday gear that none of us need but will inevitably get

If you’re like me, a Hammond clone apparently

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Many ~$1k analog keys deals kicking around, if you want a new one scoop it up now, they're discontinued for a few months, major shops are OOS. Might look like a tough sell in a post-Peak, post-Mind world but if you've got any modular it's a real nice centerpiece / FX / filterbox.
Reason, FL, UAD doing their usual sales.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I keep looking at the Hammond SKX and it keeps looking back at me.

Also Nord C2D has a 20% price fall. New Nordgan on the horizon, it looks like.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Samples from Mars is selling their entire catalogue for $40. https://samplesfrommars.com/products/all-products-from-mars

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
They're well worth grabbing, would take eternity to go through them all. I just have the 808, 909, MPC and a couple others installed from when i got the bundle for something obnoxiously low like £12 but they are well worth it, probably moreso if you have an up to date version of Kontakt for the synths

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

So Math posted:

Samples from Mars is selling their entire catalogue for $40. https://samplesfrommars.com/products/all-products-from-mars

drat I want those drum samples, but I just bought ableton 10 live and am trying to control myself. I didn’t see how long the offer was for, is it just a black friday thing?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

drat I want those drum samples, but I just bought ableton 10 live and am trying to control myself. I didn’t see how long the offer was for, is it just a black friday thing?

The promotional email says "won't last forever," which I assume it's just a black Friday, possibly cyber Monday thing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can I buy it on my phone

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yes

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

So Math posted:

goes down to $9 with code xX$9-AllxX3

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

goes down to $9 with code xX$9-AllxX3

:eyepop:

thats an instant buy, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.