Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

American McGay posted:

If you want a cheap tv get a TCL. If you want a tv cheaper than that then just get whatever $250 deal is out there right now. $400-600 is no man's land when it comes to TVs.

Cool, appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Is there a particular TCL model you guys usually recommend? Seeing a 49" on Amazon for like 279. Pretty wild.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Meridian posted:

Cool, appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Is there a particular TCL model you guys usually recommend? Seeing a 49" on Amazon for like 279. Pretty wild.

Depends how cash strapped you are my man. TCL 6 series 55" is the sweet spot for value right now but it will hit your wallet at $600. The image will be about twice as good or better than that $279 panel. Plus you'll get HDR, 4K etc. I'm not sure which one you're referring to.

Though my 55" has vertical bands and I'm doing a warranty swap to try to win the panel lottery. Read back a couple pages.

Gray Matter posted:

I've heard from some random online source I've since forgotten that a lot of the common issues with the panels have been fixed in units manufactured since last June. Anecdotal, but I bought one last month and it looks great, certainly a much better price:performance value than the Sony X900F Best Buy was trying to upsell me to.

My 6 series was manufactured in June '18 (says in a sticker on the side) and it unfortunately lost the lottery, bad banding on half. Playing the swap game. I think the current model only came out this year anyway? So that source probably can't be correct.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 17, 2018

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Looking at 65" and 55" inch TVs, the TCL's specifically. I have a A/V rack with a width of 43". A 55" (~49" width) tv should fit on that using the included stands, but will a 65" (~57" width) fit? It doesn't look like the TCL stands have any adjustment in or out. I'd rather not have to wall mount.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wait, why is one of the default tv brands recommended one yo have to play the panel lottery to get a decent one with?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You'll probably pay the panel lottery with Samsung (and even Sony to a lesser extent) anyways, but at least you're paying less money to do so and getting a TV that's 98% as good.

I don't think there's a TV model out there right now that some people aren't on the 3rd or 4th replacement iteration due to flaws out of the box.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Most built in TV stands are wide. Getting a VESA mount can give you some more options.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Coredump posted:

Wait, why is one of the default tv brands recommended one yo have to play the panel lottery to get a decent one with?
The panel lottery thing with TCL is largely overblown by the slickdeals types on Internet forums. The quality of the panel is mostly great. Most people would be perfectly happy with the display without being convinced to go over it with a microscope by some dude on Reddit.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There was a famous SHSC poster who returned his iPhone 4S 7 times because the screen temperature was slightly more yellow than the ones he saw other people posting. You can notice flaws in anything if you look hard enough.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

American McGay posted:

The panel lottery thing with TCL is largely overblown by the slickdeals types on Internet forums. The quality of the panel is mostly great. Most people would be perfectly happy with the display without being convinced to go over it with a microscope by some dude on Reddit.

This was mine, what would you decide? Was it visible with like a static normal image, no, but if there were bright scenes in movies or panning of any kind, yeah you could see the vertical lines. I think my next one will be better. For a $200 TV I'd almost think it was acceptable, for $600 i'll try to send it back. Would this bother the average consumer? Probably not, but as we've said the average person doesn't care/notice if content is SD or HD.

TCL fought me a little by email back-and-forth on the warranty, with a response from their service dept. saying it was normal for this TV, but I pushed back and they acquiesced.

That being said once you get a good panel, you're getting 96% of the next best tv, like the X900F, for 50% of the price.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 17, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You honestly see stuff like that on $3k high end Sony and Samsung TVs as well. The only way we have big TVs this cheap is by lowering QC tolerances. It is what it is. Not going to tell you you were wrong for exchanging, but it's not unusual across the whole range of the industry.

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?
Hey friends, I have been looking into purchasing a TV to primarily be used as a PC display for quite some time. My living space is limited so I only really have room for one station/TV area. Truth be told, I've been without an actual TV for years but I would like to be able to start watching movies from my couch as opposed to my desk chair. I'm willing to pay decent money for a low-lag display with rich blacks. From what I have been able to tell, rtings has a hard-on for the Vizio PQ65-F1 when it comes to use with a PC. It looks like I can get a decent deal on this through Costco through the next week or so. Can anyone speak to how well this unit works in the use case I describe? Any other recommendations?

Rtings review here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-quantum

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

the ballad of buster scruggs was insanely gorgeous on my 4K HDR LG OLED television and absolutely whips to boot. not going to mention any scene in particular. turning off replies on this one!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

In another thread I post in a user mentioned that OLED displays had a disproportionate problem with burn-in and image retention with video games, specifically (makes sense with static HUDs going) in its early days.

Anyone know if this is still a cause for concern and if there are measures one should take to protect their investment? Before I go research on my own I thought I'd ask here first.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
TCL 49S405 is $279 on Amazon with an extra $42 discount applied at checkout. 49” TV for the bedroom for $238? Well ok then!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Marauder posted:

Hey friends, I have been looking into purchasing a TV to primarily be used as a PC display for quite some time. My living space is limited so I only really have room for one station/TV area. Truth be told, I've been without an actual TV for years but I would like to be able to start watching movies from my couch as opposed to my desk chair. I'm willing to pay decent money for a low-lag display with rich blacks. From what I have been able to tell, rtings has a hard-on for the Vizio PQ65-F1 when it comes to use with a PC. It looks like I can get a decent deal on this through Costco through the next week or so. Can anyone speak to how well this unit works in the use case I describe? Any other recommendations?

Rtings review here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-quantum

I’m getting that one with Costco with the exact same use case. Fingers crossed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Braincloud posted:

TCL 49S405 is $279 on Amazon with an extra $42 discount applied at checkout. 49” TV for the bedroom for $238? Well ok then!

Yeah I got a similar size/price bedroom TV from Walmart and it’s ridiculous what you can get for so little money these days.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
My local Best Buy is offering Black Friday prices on some/all of their TVs. I just grabbed the X900F 65" today for $1599.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
We have a Sony 65" TV now and the living room in our new house is designed with the TV over the fireplace. It's dumb and I don't want to be one of those people but so it goes. I think the 65" is going to be too big so I'm looking at 55s. My wife really likes the idea of the new Samsungs with ambient mode or "The Frame". Basically anything that keeps the TV from looking like a big black rectangle over the fireplace. Are there any non-Samsung alternatives to those two things? I looked at those TV mirror things and they're like $8k so those are out.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Braincloud posted:

Is that the refurbished one? I'm looking at this one from walmart, same price but looks like it's for a new one https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-49-Class-4K-Ultra-HD-2160P-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-49S405/692591895

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 19, 2018

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

TheWevel posted:

We have a Sony 65" TV now and the living room in our new house is designed with the TV over the fireplace. It's dumb and I don't want to be one of those people but so it goes. I think the 65" is going to be too big so I'm looking at 55s. My wife really likes the idea of the new Samsungs with ambient mode or "The Frame". Basically anything that keeps the TV from looking like a big black rectangle over the fireplace. Are there any non-Samsung alternatives to those two things? I looked at those TV mirror things and they're like $8k so those are out.

It's not really a power-saving mode or anything like that but they added aerial views to the AppleTV's screen saver, so now it has cameras from the ISS and over highways and glacial bays and stuff. It's pretty relaxing to leave on in the background.

Anyone forced into staring at a TV above a fireplace needs to seriously consider something like this: https://www.mantelmount.com/ I don't have one or anything but someone posted it ages ago and I remember thinking that that was the bee's knees.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is it possible to hook up a Bluetooth/USB keyboard to a TCL 55R615? Typing into Netflix and such is loving awful with the remote, and the keyboard in the remote app doesn't seem to work.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Google Butt posted:

Is that the refurbished one? I'm looking at this one from walmart, same price but looks like it's for a new one https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-49-Class-4K-Ultra-HD-2160P-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-49S405/692591895

No, brand new. I almost bought it last week when it dropped to $299 but figured I’d wait to see if there were any Black Friday deals, but couldn’t pass up that low of a price.

Also, looks like they’re all gone now.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 19, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I don't have the specific model, but I got a Samsung 4K 55" UHD TV a few weeks ago. Are the apps (say, Netflix) capable of high definition streaming? Or do I need to use a Chromecast Ultra/Roku?

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Medullah posted:

I don't have the specific model, but I got a Samsung 4K 55" UHD TV a few weeks ago. Are the apps (say, Netflix) capable of high definition streaming? Or do I need to use a Chromecast Ultra/Roku?

I assume by high definition you mean 4K stuff. It varies from app to app: Netflix has a higher priced tier that offers 4K/HDR stuff, Amazon Prime has it built in, and Hulu has no 4K options at all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Truman Sticks posted:

I assume by high definition you mean 4K stuff. It varies from app to app: Netflix has a higher priced tier that offers 4K/HDR stuff, Amazon Prime has it built in, and Hulu has no 4K options at all.

Yeah I know, I've got the Netflix higher tier - but will the native apps stream it? I know regular Chromecast won't, you need an Ultra.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Medullah posted:

Yeah I know, I've got the Netflix higher tier - but will the native apps stream it? I know regular Chromecast won't, you need an Ultra.

Typically, yes, the native apps stream whatever the TV is capable of.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

beep by grandpa posted:

In another thread I post in a user mentioned that OLED displays had a disproportionate problem with burn-in and image retention with video games, specifically (makes sense with static HUDs going) in its early days.

Anyone know if this is still a cause for concern and if there are measures one should take to protect their investment? Before I go research on my own I thought I'd ask here first.

I've never noticed a problem with burn in or image retention on my OLED, but I may game differently than you.

Rtings is doing a burn in test that has been going on for 62 weeks.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

I don't see any signs of burn in until 4 weeks in, which is like 560 hours of a static image in the same place. I don't think I've ever played a game for 560 hours. I am not concerned anymore.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

Is it possible to hook up a Bluetooth/USB keyboard to a TCL 55R615? Typing into Netflix and such is loving awful with the remote, and the keyboard in the remote app doesn't seem to work.

I'm gonna guess that this oughta be standard on most modern smart TVs. Now my Sony is Android tv which is a bit more versatile than you're average proprietary smart setup but it works fine for me using my Microsoft wireless USB keyboard with the touchpad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Weird the app isn't working right, never had an issue with all my Rokus.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Simple question: anything to look out for a bog standard, cheap Bluray player?

Parents have bought a Samsung 32E390S 32" TV

Existing DVD player isn't HDMI so I suggested getting a Bluray player as it is only a little more than a DVD player price
I am guessing that a Samsung player will play nicely with the Samsung TV, so I am suggesting the BD-J4500R
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DVD-Players/Samsung-BD-J4500R-Blu-ray-Player-Multi-codec/B01B4WNAZ4

Good idea? They are definitely not power users.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You're over thinking it, like the woman who messaged me yesterday to ask which dirt cheap RCA/other no name 65" 4K TV thats on sale to buy for her parents. She thought smart and 4K meant the same thing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

codo27 posted:

You're over thinking it, like the woman who messaged me yesterday to ask which dirt cheap RCA/other no name 65" 4K TV thats on sale to buy for her parents. She thought smart and 4K meant the same thing.

Oh, definitely.

I just don't want to find out that Samsung players have a reputation for exploding or that you have to restart them to change disc or that they don't have a fastforward button or they require an always-on network connection or some poo poo like that .

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Braincloud posted:

How is the input lag on this?

I need a new TV with low input lag, anything w/ a similar price?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

succ posted:

How is the input lag on this?

I need a new TV with low input lag, anything w/ a similar price?

Looks like the deal is gone. $238 for that TV was absurd

(To answer your question, TCL was featured as the go-to budget brand for gaming tvs on rtings.com, so probably good on lag)

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

spog posted:

Simple question: anything to look out for a bog standard, cheap Bluray player?

Parents have bought a Samsung 32E390S 32" TV

Existing DVD player isn't HDMI so I suggested getting a Bluray player as it is only a little more than a DVD player price
I am guessing that a Samsung player will play nicely with the Samsung TV, so I am suggesting the BD-J4500R
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DVD-Players/Samsung-BD-J4500R-Blu-ray-Player-Multi-codec/B01B4WNAZ4

Good idea? They are definitely not power users.
Here’s a nice rundown of current players. There are some good ~$100 options on that list.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Ordered the 65" OLED LG I mentioned a page or two back. It's getting delivered Wednesday and I'm quite excited. Going to start looking into sound options and use something other than built-in TV speakers for the first time ever.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dont skimp! Your TV will hopefully last you 5+ years, and then there will be something superior. Buy good speakers, you have them for life. Remember that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aranan posted:

Going to start looking into sound options and use something other than built-in TV speakers for the first time ever.

It's a pretty good time to buy, I got a nicely reduced Onkyo receiver around early last December from Best Buy that has an insane feature set for the <$300 I paid. Plus everything now should have up to date specs for HDMI/HDCP/HDR/4K etc

Speakers on the other hand haven't changed much, so you can score something second hand nicely. I paid $200 for a pair of JBL Studio 310s IIs that are about 10 years old (RRP was $379 per speaker) and then got the matching center on eBay a few weeks later.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The nice thing about speakers is that you can find insane deals if you stalk goodwill and your local yard sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I’m very happy with my Kanto YU3 bookshelf speakers, and paired with a subwoofer, it’s a great value. There are newer versions of the speakers available, but I honestly don’t know what makes a YU6 almost twice as much as a YU3.