Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Eyyyyy the new thread title is here for the next year. Hope everyone's enjoying the new game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekodfish
Oct 31, 2010
Yam Slacker
This game is turning out a lot better than I expected it to be. It's actually very easy to control the difficulty to be what you want it to be, which I did not expect. If you box all your party pokemon when you're out catching and mainly rely on trainers, you'll actually be underleveled, and although the trainers still have really small numbers of pokemon, those pokemon are strong and often have better move sets than you would think.

That being said, making Meltan only being capable of evolving in Pokemon Go, and only after 400 candies, is incredibly awful. I would have used Meltan in my team if it weren't for that. It comes off as an atrocious grind Niantic demanded put in because they didn't think Meltan and the other connectivity options were enough to make Let's Go players play Go a lot.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Quick tip if you're struggling with the motion controls. Instead of throwing overhand/mimicking throwing, you can just keep the joycon flat and flick it. IE calibrate it horizontally at the TV, flick straight up to throw the ball ahead and flick left/right to throw to the sides. If nothing else, it seems slightly more consistent.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I want to know what love is

I want mewtwo show me

can i reccomend the first pokemon movie instead then

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I ended up just pulling the trigger on the Pokeball Plus and I’m ashamed to admit that it’s pretty great. I haven’t had to do any complicated maneuvers with it, but I haven’t had even a twinge of accuracy problems. My only issue is that, as far as I can tell, you can’t silence it while using it as a controller for Let’s Go. It seems that you can only silence it for its other uses.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

RME posted:

can i reccomend the first pokemon movie instead then

That's really more about Ash and Pikachu showing Mewtwo what love is.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

well at best i think mewtwo returns in a later movie
perhaps to remind us what love is

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i finally found a pinsir, and now the game is starting to chain them. i'll try to catch as many as i can for people in the thread

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I hate to admit it but I'm kinda glad the game forced me to catch a grass type cause the Bellsprout I thought I'd get rid of after Misty is now a victreebel that I love more then life itself

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ah dang looks like what i posted earlier about higher chains having better IVs is not true. The chain cap for shinies and IVs caps at 31. So 4 guaranteed perfect IVs the best you can get. No way to chain yourself to perfect IVs

Maute
Jan 15, 2009
Anyone want to trade some version exclusives? I need ones from Eevee (Bellsprout, Vulpix, meowth, koffing, ekans, Pinsir). I have all of mine except grimer and Scyther.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Does being a girl make more girl Pokemon appear in game (and do you get more boys if you're a boy)? Because me Eevee spawn as a girl on the first try, and I feel like I've been encountering a lot of girl Pokemon since then. I'm 100% okay with this, I'm just curious about whether this is true or if I'm imagining things.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Macintosh HD posted:

I ended up just pulling the trigger on the Pokeball Plus and I’m ashamed to admit that it’s pretty great. I haven’t had to do any complicated maneuvers with it, but I haven’t had even a twinge of accuracy problems. My only issue is that, as far as I can tell, you can’t silence it while using it as a controller for Let’s Go. It seems that you can only silence it for its other uses.

Game reviewers tend not to be very good at games and rarely spend very long playing them. The pokeball takes a little while to fully click with because its kinda weird to orientate 'up' on a sphere.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Does being a girl make more girl Pokemon appear in game (and do you get more boys if you're a boy)? Because me Eevee spawn as a girl on the first try, and I feel like I've been encountering a lot of girl Pokemon since then. I'm 100% okay with this, I'm just curious about whether this is true or if I'm imagining things.

Unless I'm misremembering the intro, your starter's gender is decided before you get to choose your gender, so I can't imagine it takes it into account.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I ended up getting 9 Pinsir, all of them Jolly. One was max IV for HP and attack, and nearly max for Defense and Speed. That's a winner for sure.

If anyone's got a good Grimer, I'll trade you one of these Pinsir. There were a few with pretty good IVs.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
How do you tell if the IVs are perfect

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Go the 2nd floor of the building in Route 11 after catching 30 unique pokemon and the Assistant will give you the Judge Function which will let you see the IVs of any pokemon you catch.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

In the building between the route where you find Snorlax on the bridge and the route you find Mr. Mime, if you go upstairs, professor oak's assistant will give you the ability to look at the general IV spread of your Pokemon. It's called Judge. If it says "Best!" that means its a max IV

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
This game is so. God. Damned. Ridiculously. ADORABLE.

I was playing in undocked mode and Eevee wanted to do high fives with me and loving HELL I'M A 29 YEAR OLD MAN AND MY HEART IS MELTING.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Just wanted to make sure everyone in this thread knows how to change Pikachu/Eevee's haircuts: https://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-eevee/How_to_Change_Pikachu_and_Eevee%27s_Hairstyle

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Just wanted to make sure everyone in this thread knows how to change Pikachu/Eevee's haircuts: https://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-eevee/How_to_Change_Pikachu_and_Eevee%27s_Hairstyle

No Pompadour hairstyle throw this game into the garbage.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://mobile.twitter.com/rezephos/status/1063577547768819713

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

this game looks pretty good but i dont have a switch and i'm having a really hard justifying spending like 500 bucks for a switch and a couple games.
you guys look like you're having fun. what's the best part of this game?

i'm seeing some stuff about how LGP/E doesn't have pokemon abilities and you can't use the pokebank. can you confirm/deny?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My favorite part about catching and chaining being used to gain levels is that its VERY easy to get a new team addition up to speed. Just swap out your whole team so you don't get overleveled on them, then just powerlevel your new catch. I'm constantly rotating Pokemon in and out of my party as I get them.

I saw all the big name reviews claiming the game was incredibly easy, then saw their parties being the starter, Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise every time. Like dang, use this opportunity for some variety. My team is Hitmonchan, Ninetails, Gloom, Kengaskhan, Butterfree, and Marowak. Gonna sub in Polywrath and Rapidash as soon as I progress far enough.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i'm seeing some stuff about how LGP/E doesn't have pokemon abilities and you can't use the pokebank. can you confirm/deny?

Both correct, abilities and pokebank are out. Abilities kind of sucks but on the flipside, Mega Groudon and Kyogre are also out so this is an exchange I'm willing to accept.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I don't get my copy until tomorrow after work but I heard in a video that all gift Pokémon come with high stats, can anyone confirm/deny? Also, if it's true, are they perfect like the starter Pikachu/Eevee or still a mixed bag?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Both correct, abilities and pokebank are out. Abilities kind of sucks but on the flipside, Mega Groudon and Kyogre are also out so this is an exchange I'm willing to accept.

ouch. that's a bit of a dealbreaker for me. thanks for answering.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Radio Free Kobold posted:

this game looks pretty good but i dont have a switch and i'm having a really hard justifying spending like 500 bucks for a switch and a couple games.
you guys look like you're having fun. what's the best part of this game?

It is 100% pure cotton candy. If you have a lot of nostalgia for Red/Blue/Yellow and want to play a version of those games that's more streamline and fun and also like petting/riding Pokemon then yeah pick it up. It's not life changing, but it's wholesome fun.

Is it 500 dollars worth of fun though? Ehhhhhh, no. However, if you can find a good deal on a Switch around Black Friday though you might want to consider picking it up (along with BOTW if you're into Zelda games).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I saw all the big name reviews claiming the game was incredibly easy, then saw their parties being the starter, Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise every time. Like dang, use this opportunity for some variety.
This is because the game review industry is bad and if you don't have your review out as close to the embargo as possible, you will get a fraction of the pageviews you would otherwise get on it, so you can expect all the big review sites' reviewers to be basically rushing games to finish whenever possible. Not like, literally not doing any side content (because you gotta review that!) but generally taking the straightest-forward approach possible, and that's what that results in in this game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Backtracking a bit, there's also no breeding in Lets Go, meaning you gotta be careful about getting certain Mons of a certain nature. There's the three Legendary Birds and Mewtwo, but also the two Snorlax are the only chances you have to get one of a nature you want, so make sure to visit the Fortune Teller before you snag him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You can still access your box while battling the Elite Four :v:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Backtracking a bit, there's also no breeding in Lets Go, meaning you gotta be careful about getting certain Mons of a certain nature. There's the three Legendary Birds and Mewtwo, but also the two Snorlax are the only chances you have to get one of a nature you want, so make sure to visit the Fortune Teller before you snag him.

The legendary birds appear in the wild after you catch them

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

As I was looking up the learnsets of the stone evolution mons, for the millionth time in this series, it hit me that wow, this mechanic has always sucked, huh

Like first of all. Nobody in the history of pokemon has ever told you that using evolution items too early could be bad. That's just a forever secret that will keep ruining movesets of mons for new players till the end of eternity.

And secondly, why is this even a thing? It's not really a very interesting challenge to keep your mon unevolved for x amount of levels until it gets the moves you want, that's just like any other evolving mons. You can't say that it's a balancing factor to stop overpowered stone evolutions early on, because you can't even get the drat stones until later in every single game. What's the point!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

To add the this, they (and other rare poke like Dragonite and Charizard) have a chance to appear in certain routes once you have a max chain (31) going.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Amppelix posted:

Like first of all. Nobody in the history of pokemon has ever told you that using evolution items too early could be bad. That's just a forever secret that will keep ruining movesets of mons for new players till the end of eternity.

I'm 99% sure this was a plot point in the pokemon anime with Ash v Surge. Ash won his (re?)match by using moves Pikachu had learned that Raichu didn't because he evolved very early.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Nodosaur posted:

w h a t

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Amppelix posted:

As I was looking up the learnsets of the stone evolution mons, for the millionth time in this series, it hit me that wow, this mechanic has always sucked, huh

I'm pretty sure there's an NPC in every Pokemon game that tells you something along the line of "evolution stones allow Pokemon to evolve but it might not be the best idea to evolve them right away" or something vague as that.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm 99% sure this was a plot point in the pokemon anime with Ash v Surge. Ash won his (re?)match by using moves Pikachu had learned that Raichu didn't because he evolved very early.

Yup. Pikachu was able to beat Raichu because he knew Agility as far as I remember.

Also probably because evolution stone evolutions loving sucked in gen 1 and most didn't learn any move at all after evolved. Newer gens at least give them a pity 2-3 moves

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I was coming up with a video script on legendary distributions and logic and the definition I set forth for a legendary was that it was a special Pokemon available in limited quantities. Let's Go has completely ruined this because now the Birbs are infinitely available. I'm gonna have to refine my thesis.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Serebii already has a page explaining rare pokemon and where to find them

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wait, is this the pokemon megathread with a new name. Let’s Go kicks rear end btw

I caught a clefable in mt moon basement, rolled into Cerulean on an Onix , got some new moves for eevee (Redd), stuck the new rival in a dumpster with them

But battery going so that’s that for now. Switch screenshot thing is gonna see so much use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also I swear there was a chansey down there too