Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

is the side with one screen artificially thick so that it's a uniform thickness when unfolded? if yes, lol. if no, also lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

supposedly that's in a case to obscure its actual shape so it might not be uniform thickness

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

When I heard people talking about a foldable phone I was thinking of the paper thin bendable screens not... that.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

I personally won't be happy until I can relive the 80's and slap wrap my phone around my wrist.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
no way dude. that’s how mikey from life cereal died.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i saw these wacky LCD writing boards in a store the other day. i think one of the popular brands is "boogie board". it is kind of neat because it's like an LCD etch a sketch type thing with a stylus, where you can scratch out some scrawls, and then either save it to your phone or just hit a button on the device and it clears the screen. this is relevant to the current discussion because it would be cool to have a writing board like that that was durable and bendable enough to throw in a bag, or that you could roll up and put into a tiny cylinder case

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah, paper is pretty useful

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Tornhelm posted:

I personally won't be happy until I can relive the 80's and slap wrap my phone around my wrist.

cell phone cases with wheels on them

bring back fingerboards

but with phones

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
let your fingers do the walking skating

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
holy gently caress. there must be a dedicated mixed-disciplinary team of scientists and designers working around the clock to come up with the ugliest phone designs humanly possible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah its called apple.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This phone has a 6mm nano penis

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

This phone has a 6mm nano penis

dsyp

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
NaNoPeNisMo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

notches for the notch god, rounded corners for the rounded corner throne!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just saw this posted on that other site... amazing. the superior platform for allowing me to be advertised at while i make a call.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
hey buddy, that's the price you pay for not having to deal with crapple's walled garden. :smug:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

if that ever happened i would destroy the phone. what complete and utter trash.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJt4zvXUXQ

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
apparently that's caused by another app, it's not part of the dialer natively. which i think is actually worse, since it means any arbitrary app can just inject ads into the dialer

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

apparently that's caused by another app, it's not part of the dialer natively. which i think is actually worse, since it means any arbitrary app can just inject ads into the dialer

Any chance it's just two apps, split-screen?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:shrug: idk, it doesn't look like it, but it's not like you can diagnose much from a screenshot

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it’s android, so you know it’s real.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's from here https://www.reddit.com/r/assholedesign/comments/9xo2mv/pop_up_ads_everytime_i_make_a_phone_call

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

haha, you have to use antivirus on android because it's so bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

haha, you have to use antivirus on android because it's so bad

sometimes it boggles my mind how insane this concept it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean you really don't, as long as you don't buy a phone that doubles as a CCP intelligence device and then immediately root it and install an operating system image customized by putin's nephew

my sony android has no ads other than the poo poo in the youtube app. does ios have ads playing in front of youtubes? that would be a major win for them if no

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Management posted:

sometimes it boggles my mind how insane this concept it.
a coworker’s phone started playing a video loudly in the office because the free version of his telephone anti-malware plays adverts after a scan

it was the most android thing imaginable

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

a coworker’s phone started playing a video loudly in the office because the free version of his telephone anti-malware plays adverts after a scan

it was the most android thing imaginable

android lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
so finally switching back to ios

impressions on android adventure, you can deffo _make_ the phone work

but not well

seeing that an iphone xr _only_ has 3 gigerbits one might think the eight processor 4gb phone i had would have been slick as poo poo in comparison but no of course not, the burden of android and all the 3rd party apps to make it approximate an iphone means that things like apps _and_ phone calls can lead to lag that does not inspire confidence

using ios everything works right with no slowdown, you can put malwarebytes or somesuch on it if you want

looking at what apps on my old homescreen are "missing" on good phone, a bunch of patchwork shite that is no longer necessary

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i mean you really don't, as long as you don't buy a phone that doubles as a CCP intelligence device and then immediately root it and install an operating system image customized by putin's nephew

okay, wiseass, how else am i supposed to achieve a goku 420-themed phone then?

im waiting!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

no wonder Apple knows it can keep jacking up the price of its stuff

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the anti malware
on my telephone
plays video ads
with audio

suck it Apple :smug:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the anti malware
on my telephone
plays video ads
with audio

suck it Apple :smug:

it's an incredible feat given that android is linux

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

it's an incredible feat given that android is linux

anything is possible for ads

youtube video: compressed to poo poo 480p
ad that interrupts the video: 1080p, surround sound, crystal clearq

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

youtube quality is pretty legit these days

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just saw this posted on that other site... amazing. the superior platform for allowing me to be advertised at while i make a call.

My dad had something like this on his phone, turns out some software bundled with it decided that adware was a better market than controlling your tv with a smartphone.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
my favorite thing is when i pay for a mobile app, it removes all the ads and such until a couple of years later the app developer realizes that the revenue is drying up and then starts putting fullscreen ads of their other apps in the app you paid for.

also "please rate this app in the store"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

My dad had something like this on his phone, turns out some software bundled with it decided that adware was a better market than controlling your tv with a smartphone.

that was a remote control app bundled by samsung on most of their phones. those guys knew what they were doing