Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean comments sections are probably made up up a large percentage of suburban or middle class.

You don’t see a lot of poor extremely online people. Some but not a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012
There is a new Hardcore History: Addendum episode out, on the Vietnam war. I havent listened to it.

Another thing I found that was incorrect about the War Nerd podcast was about Bolsonaro's religion. He professes to still be a Catholic, not an Evangelical, he is however married to an Evangelical and so attends protestant church services with his wife & kid. This actually makes more sense if sectarianism is as an important factor in Brazilian voting as they discussed, because a public image as a Catholic who is very close to Evangelicals means both denominations can think of him as 'our guy', something that would be surely be a lot more difficult if he had rejected Catholicism.

The Real Quaid fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 3, 2018

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

where's a mic dicta replacement already

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Not entirely sure this is the right thread, but couldn't find anything else better. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any podcasts about the legal, political, financial or cybersecurity world that actually get into either technical or policy details? I listen to several but I'm getting fed up with how many refuse to discuss anything beyond the level of some sort of unprepared casual debate on the various subjects.

The example that most recently got me annoyed is one of the podcasts I listen to (The Lawfare podcast) put out an episode with a panel discussing how the cybersecurity risk financial systems at large are not well understood. Which is great, but the entire 40 minutes was just pandering of we know it's a problem and some groups are trying to think of ways to work the problem but it's difficult. I spent the entire 40 minutes waiting to hear how a compromised system could affect a financial transactions? In general cybersecurity risks take the form of what happens if you kill/deny a system and what happens if you can make modifications to it, so how do those risks play out between computer systems? What's the potential and risk of an attacker having the knowledge and ability to interact with financial software if they did get access? What kind of checks and layers of security exist between banks and government organizations to validate transactions? Nothing like that ever came up and it never does, instead it's just the equivalent of the kind of non-committal bullshit equivalent to what I make up for my boss to present a meeting of people who have no idea what they're actually there to talk about. The whole thing left me feeling it's not well understood because most of the 40 minutes was devoted to talking about how people weren't asking the questions to figure it out instead of just having the two experts on each side actually ask the question themselves.

With one exception, out of a good half dozen legal oriented podcasts I've listened to it's unnatural even hear a law actually get quoted or read from and explained versus the equivalent of a pundit like summary and the odd man out I found is starting to letting their politics get too much in the way of their in-depth explanations. Another podcast I listen to (Trade Talks) I've been subscribed to for about six months and can only remember one instance where they actually talked directly to a trade policy instead of repeating the same thing that gets printed in a short CNN article. I keep listening only because I can't find anything better.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

try the defensive security podcast; probably not as deep in the weeds from a technical perspective as you'd like (and it's an IT discussion not a legal one, except incidentally), but also possibly better to at least some degree than what you're currently taking in

eta: if general / criminal law disussion floats your boat, there's a ton of legal system process description and discussion (from a lay perspective) in the current season of Serial (it's about how the system actually works, so it won't cover arcana like anticipated changes in the nondelegation doctrine etc.)

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 5, 2018

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Troy Hunt's Weekly Update podcast goes over all the latest news in infosec. I remember liking the Southern Fried Security Podcast too. I think it goes a little more in depth than Troy Hunt's podcast.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Intelligence Matters is a pretty decent podcast, but it's still a little jarring to realize that I'm trying to gain objective information by listening to a podcast literally sponsored by Raytheon.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I just discovered this yesterday via InRange TV, The Great War https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar started 4 years ago with a weekly update on what happened during WWI a hundred years earlier. I know there were several blogs and newspapers doing this, but this is really well presented and easy to understand. Could be a really cool addition for school classes or for people who shy away from reading a book. Every episode seems to be around 8-10 mins, so it's easily digestable.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

The Real Quaid posted:

Honestly, I thought the episode sucked. Interesting topic but the interviewee was a completely biased partisan of the Workers Party, I've nothing against him supporting whichever party he wants, but he was either not interested or not capable of giving an honest explaination for what has motivated 60% of the population to support such a character when the record of the Workers Party is so great. "Brainwashing" and "Whatsup" did it, apparantly... the 60000 murders per year not mentioned as factor why people may turn to politican promising a ruthless crack-down on crime. He talked about Haddad as if he was a great success as mayor of Sao Paulo- doesnt mention that Haddad was widely hated, left office with a 16% approval rating, and was completely crushed in his home city by Bolsinaro in the general election. He suggests the figure of 500 dead and disappeared in the 20 years of military rule is some racist conspiracy to hide the real number- the 500 figure came from a commision the Worker's Party organised. When asked why most women support Bolsinaro despite the rude things he has said, the interviewee mocked the idea of asking women why- "you wouldnt ask women in 1930's Germany why they supported Hitler". Well, I kind of did want to know what really motivated women to support Bolsinaro so I conclude that the interview sucked balls. I didnt learn anything.

Congratulations, you're a fascist now.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

The Real Quaid posted:

There is a new Hardcore History: Addendum episode out, on the Vietnam war. I havent listened to it.

Another thing I found that was incorrect about the War Nerd podcast was about Bolsonaro's religion. He professes to still be a Catholic, not an Evangelical, he is however married to an Evangelical and so attends protestant church services with his wife & kid. This actually makes more sense if sectarianism is as an important factor in Brazilian voting as they discussed, because a public image as a Catholic who is very close to Evangelicals means both denominations can think of him as 'our guy', something that would be surely be a lot more difficult if he had rejected Catholicism.

And the reason he gets away with these shenanigans is because the Catholic church has gone all namby-pamby ecumenical. Would his bishop have the cajones to deny him communion for attending Protestant services? He's too scared that he might leave and never come back.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I tried it out. It’s pretty good, though it moves a little fast so it may help if you have some background knowledge of some of the people. I’m six episodes in so far. It’s going to be my companion at work for the next couple of weeks.

WW1 is still really confusing to me on the topic of battle doctrine and technology. I’ve had it explained to me by various sources, but I still can’t put myself in the shoes of an officer or general that keeps telling soldiers to do really stupid things (like sprinting into machine gun fire as if the enemy is using bolt action instead). Like, how and why does it take so long for people to learn ~the new meta~

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

buglord posted:

I tried it out. It’s pretty good, though it moves a little fast so it may help if you have some background knowledge of some of the people. I’m six episodes in so far. It’s going to be my companion at work for the next couple of weeks.

WW1 is still really confusing to me on the topic of battle doctrine and technology. I’ve had it explained to me by various sources, but I still can’t put myself in the shoes of an officer or general that keeps telling soldiers to do really stupid things (like sprinting into machine gun fire as if the enemy is using bolt action instead). Like, how and why does it take so long for people to learn ~the new meta~

Because that's not the way things are done

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
What should I be listening to if I want quality podcasting about cyber warfare?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
My Tron fan fiction set to audio

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Arrhythmia posted:

My Tron fan fiction set to audio

You forgot to add the link

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

You forgot to add the link

I'm really more of an ideas guy, but if you know someone with a mic, the knowledge of how to upload to iTunes, someone willing to write my scripts, and about half a dozen people willing to act for free with no compunctions about reading the words "Jeff Bridge's turgidity" then I promise this thread will be the first to get to listen to New Age: New Battlefield.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

buglord posted:

The military planners in that era made decisions based on the big wars of the last half-century: the US Civil War, the Crimean War, the Franco-Prussian War, the Russo-Japanese War. The lessons they took from those conflicts inclined them towards aggression and relentless advance-- no-one wants to be remembered as a McClellan. Also, "Hold position until German society collapses" wasn't politically acceptable.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

mike12345 posted:

I just discovered this yesterday via InRange TV, The Great War https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar started 4 years ago with a weekly update on what happened during WWI a hundred years earlier. I know there were several blogs and newspapers doing this, but this is really well presented and easy to understand. Could be a really cool addition for school classes or for people who shy away from reading a book. Every episode seems to be around 8-10 mins, so it's easily digestable.

Just wanted to second this recommendation, although it's (obviously) not a podcast. It's really well scripted and produced and easy to follow, though admittedly I haven't watched all of it. I was following along at various points over the past couple of years though - hard to believe they've actually stuck with it the entire time!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Can anyone recommend a history podcast on more of a concept topic than a time period, region or culture? Something like the history of literature, science fiction, art history, architecture, that kind of thing. The History of English Language podcast is kind of like what I'm thinking of.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

GodFish posted:

Can anyone recommend a history podcast on more of a concept topic than a time period, region or culture? Something like the history of literature, science fiction, art history, architecture, that kind of thing. The History of English Language podcast is kind of like what I'm thinking of.

The history of philosophy without any gaps

Featuring a side podcast with Indian and African philosophy

Balaeniceps
May 29, 2010

a dozen swans posted:

What should I be listening to if I want quality podcasting about cyber warfare?
Give Risky Business a try: https://risky.biz/

The format is they give pretty good analysis of cybersecurity related news each week that should still be approachable for the lay person; normally followed by an interview with topics ranging from show sponsors trying to sell one of their tools to political/legal activists to academics to hackers awaiting trial or recently released.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

CountFosco posted:

Congratulations, you're a fascist now.

I dont like Bolsinaro you loving retard

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Rodyle posted:

The history of philosophy without any gaps

Featuring a side podcast with Indian and African philosophy

Thanks, I'll check it out

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

webmeister posted:

Just wanted to second this recommendation, although it's (obviously) not a podcast. It's really well scripted and produced and easy to follow, though admittedly I haven't watched all of it. I was following along at various points over the past couple of years though - hard to believe they've actually stuck with it the entire time!

Great War series is an amazing achievement. One day I will get around to watching every episode!

Not only did they stick with it they also just started WWII 2 months ago!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP1AejCL4DA7jYkZAELRhHQ

And they another channel called Time Ghost. Covers Cuban Middle and the years between WWI AND WWII.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLfMmOriSyPbd5JhHpnj4Ng

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

Not only did they stick with it they also just started WWII 2 months ago!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP1AejCL4DA7jYkZAELRhHQ

And they another channel called Time Ghost. Covers Cuban Middle and the years between WWI AND WWII.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLfMmOriSyPbd5JhHpnj4Ng

There has to be a story behind this as Indy/Spartacus has gone on to form a new company around this.

I wonder what was the terms that caused the split.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Recently looked into Dan Carlin's Hardcore History Addendums. They're a lot more interesting than I expected. I like Dan's long-form way of doing things, but he does well with the hour long segments.

The Vietnam War was probably my favorite of the bunch, mostly because I know so little about it compared to other wars. Imperial Germany vs Nazi Germany was a pretty fun episode too and I learned quite a few things which debunked the "invincible nazi army" myth. This morning I just got through USS Indianapolis nightmare, and that was really hard to get through considering how much suffering and horror Dan sandwiches into one episode. I almost want to get the book he suggested on the topic, In Harm's Way, but I don't know if I can stomach even more gory detail.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Viktor posted:

There has to be a story behind this as Indy/Spartacus has gone on to form a new company around this.

I wonder what was the terms that caused the split.

From what I understand (as noted here: https://blog.patreon.com/creative-freedom-time-ghost?no-cache=1 ) it essentially boiled down to not being answerable to guys in suits. Which I guess is fair enough.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

jng2058 posted:

From what I understand (as noted here: https://blog.patreon.com/creative-freedom-time-ghost?no-cache=1 ) it essentially boiled down to not being answerable to guys in suits. Which I guess is fair enough.

I can see that but the company(Mediakraft) was sold in 2017 100% private not dependent on VC funding to keep the company/series afloat.

onlion entertainment is the gmbh around the series https://onlion.tv/projects/ so no matter what they say there’s another company they own/report to for the new series.

I just find it really weird the relationship between onlion/mediakraft and then having paetron/kickstarter funding of the series

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The german Wikipedia page for Mediakraft talks about some negative experiences content creators have had with the company, so maybe Indy & Co. had similar experiences, who knows.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

buglord posted:

The major WWI offensives are more than just insanity. Every time they attack, high command is convinced that they've discovered one simple trick that will totally crack the enemy trenches, and sometimes the latest trick comes close to pulling it off. But it turns out that a single innovation was never enough to break trench warfare. Instead, the armies needed to develop the beginnings of modern combined arms tactics to punch through. 1918 tactics are closer to 1939 tactics than to 1914 tactics.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

golden bubble posted:

The major WWI offensives are more than just insanity. Every time they attack, high command is convinced that they've discovered one simple trick that will totally crack the enemy trenches, and sometimes the latest trick comes close to pulling it off. But it turns out that a single innovation was never enough to break trench warfare. Instead, the armies needed to develop the beginnings of modern combined arms tactics to punch through. 1918 tactics are closer to 1939 tactics than to 1914 tactics.

Großer Generalstabs hate this one weird trick!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I listened to the HH Addendum on Vietnam. Its an interview with a war correspondent who worked at the time and has written since-- Max Hastings. Pretty interesting, especially since I know very little about the war.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

nessin posted:

Not entirely sure this is the right thread, but couldn't find anything else better. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any podcasts about the legal, political, financial or cybersecurity world that actually get into either technical or policy details?

A bit late but I liked reading the show notes of Security Now from TWiT. I say I read the notes because the podcasts themselves are waaay too long.

Edit: Also, The Dollop of all people recently did a biography of John McCain and really tore into both him and the liberal/left leaning media's darling treatment of him. I'm still not sure how I feel about two comedians calling out, and seemingly correctly, Vox for bad reporting, as I normally like The Weeds.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 26, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Arizonan here. McCain is/was a bitch and the dollop podcast on him is amazing

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Dear Francisco Madero,

Do you want a revolution without a revolution?

Sincerely,
Revolutions Podcast

P.S. gently caress Henry Lane Wilson.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

golden bubble posted:

Dear Francisco Madero,

Do you want a revolution without a revolution?

Sincerely,
Revolutions Podcast

P.S. gently caress Henry Lane Wilson.

I like how you can hear how much Duncan hates Wilson.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
This was up there with that Haiti epilogue for getting your blood boiling about US “involvement” in Latin America

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Can anyone recommend a good podcast on Indian and/or Tibetan history?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

webmeister posted:

This was up there with that Haiti epilogue for getting your blood boiling about US “involvement” in Latin America

i kept waiting for it to get better :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Can anyone recommend a good podcast on Indian and/or Tibetan history?

The history of India