Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Amppelix posted:

As I was looking up the learnsets of the stone evolution mons, for the millionth time in this series, it hit me that wow, this mechanic has always sucked, huh

Like first of all. Nobody in the history of pokemon has ever told you that using evolution items too early could be bad. That's just a forever secret that will keep ruining movesets of mons for new players till the end of eternity.

And secondly, why is this even a thing? It's not really a very interesting challenge to keep your mon unevolved for x amount of levels until it gets the moves you want, that's just like any other evolving mons. You can't say that it's a balancing factor to stop overpowered stone evolutions early on, because you can't even get the drat stones until later in every single game. What's the point!!

This upset me in this game because of the Arcanine you get in Vermillion City. On the one hand: good pupper, can ride around on a good pupper. On the other, he starts with Ember, Bite, Leer, and Roar and since he's a stone evolution, that's all he'll ever get. :(

Instead I went and evolved a Meowth so now I'm riding around on a giant cat. Game owns.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm pretty sure there's an NPC in every Pokemon game that tells you something along the line of "evolution stones allow Pokemon to evolve but it might not be the best idea to evolve them right away" or something vague as that.
There sure ain't one in Kanto, or Alola, and those are the two games that are fresh in my memory. And you can bet I've talked to every single NPC.

OK i guess there might be one in kanto in a later area but that's completely useless past celadon

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I want to take a moment to inform you that Ash's Rowlet has "learned" ""Seed Bomb"" by swallowing, regurgitating and swallowing an Everstone.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

McDragon posted:

Also I swear there was a chansey down there too

There was! I caught some!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Alxprit posted:

I was coming up with a video script on legendary distributions and logic and the definition I set forth for a legendary was that it was a special Pokemon available in limited quantities. Let's Go has completely ruined this because now the Birbs are infinitely available. I'm gonna have to refine my thesis.
In Pokemon Go you can get loads of each legendary mon through raids, sometimes with a 10%-ish shiny chance during events, so I guess this is the example for Let's Go to follow.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shiny Bulbasaur, finally!!! Final chain count (not counting the dozen or so I ran away from early on): 173

Also I now have about 12-13 Bulbasaurs with either 4-5 perfect IVs and mostly Very Goods on the rest with a few 5 IVs and Ok on the 6th as trade fodder if anyone is looking for them. The rest are going to the grinder.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 19, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I want to take a moment to inform you that Ash's Rowlet has "learned" ""Seed Bomb"" by swallowing, regurgitating and swallowing an Everstone.

lots of people are complaining he'll never evolve, but I'm just like

why would anyone ever want Ash's Rowlet to evolve?

It'd be like making his Gible evolve, it'd completely ruin it because they'd probably make him act like less of an enormous dumbass

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Probably a dumb question but how are folks chaining and keeping stock of poke balls without going broke? Is the only way to make cash in this game fighting trainers?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
After the first couple of gyms the game starts throwing money at you and you can buy hundreds of pokeballs with ease. Unless you spend it all on dumb (great) fashion stuff.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah right up until about Vermillion City I was struggling to keep up with Pokeball costs since I was doing too many chains (took me 30 Ekans to get a Charmander) but after that I eased up on catching and before long I had more money than I know what to do with and that's without dipping into my Pearl/Nugget stash. Just get a little further into the game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zeron posted:

After the first couple of gyms the game starts throwing money at you and you can buy hundreds of pokeballs with ease. Unless you spend it all on dumb (great) fashion stuff.

Not to mention that a lot of trainers will also give you 3 Poke/Great Balls after battle so there's basically no chance you're ever going to run out.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Probably a dumb question but how are folks chaining and keeping stock of poke balls without going broke? Is the only way to make cash in this game fighting trainers?

All trainers give you Pokeballs after battling, and as there are a few more trainers than existed in the original R/B/Y that's more money and more balls. Also, there are a number of repeatable events, including one very early on, which give you big cash rewards or precious items you can sell. (There is a lady in Pewter City who will ask you to babysit her Slowpoke and gives you a Big Pearl in return. It's repeatable as many times as you like once a day.) There's also at least one NPC in Mt Moon who will give you free Pokeballs when you're low. Eeveechu will also act as an itemfinder for finding hidden items, which respawn once a day, including things like Nuggets; they will also give you free items every hour or so like Pretty Wings. Moreover, you will very rarely need to spend money on healing and battle items because it's a very easy game and you only fight trainers, so your ball budget can be much higher.

All this means you'll probably never be too low on balls. I'm sitting at 200 Pokeballs and 100 Great Balls before fighting Surge and I have plenty of cash left in my bag.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Is it possible to get duplicates of the fossil pokemon? Seems odd you can get multiple legendary birds but only one kabutops.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

You know what I'm liking about Let's Go that I wasn't expecting? After you get the second gym badge you can pretty much just blow off the other gyms and explore the rest of the world for a while if you want. You don't need badges to swim or fly or anything like that. I'm really digging getting to play the game in a way that's a little more open world and MUCH less hand holdy than Sun and Moon.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is handholdy the same thing as linear?

(I don't think it is)

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Looking for a Koffing, Weezing, Pinsir, Kabuto and Kabutops.

If anyone has any of those that they are willing to let go of, I have some spare rare stuff to offer.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Amppelix posted:

Is handholdy the same thing as linear?

(I don't think it is)

Sun/Moon wasn't inherently linear. For example, the second island was a complete circle, and there were three island trials you could go to. I would have liked to do them in a different order - I got the fire starter, and would have liked to dip into the grass trial to complete that and also to grab a grass type to beat up the water trial, but no. You HAVE to do the water trial first, then grass, then fire. The game seems like it was inherently designed to be non-linear from a developer perspective, but then the only thing really enforcing that is your friend characters who force you to go to certain areas. This is a weird contrast to other hallway simulators like FF10/13 where the areas themselves were designed to be linear.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Being linear isnt bad.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Dienes posted:

Is it possible to get duplicates of the fossil pokemon? Seems odd you can get multiple legendary birds but only one kabutops.
There's an event going on now in Pokemon Go where they spawn more frequently.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Sun/Moon wasn't inherently linear. For example, the second island was a complete circle, and there were three island trials you could go to. I would have liked to do them in a different order - I got the fire starter, and would have liked to dip into the grass trial to complete that and also to grab a grass type to beat up the water trial, but no. You HAVE to do the water trial first, then grass, then fire. The game seems like it was inherently designed to be non-linear from a developer perspective, but then the only thing really enforcing that is your friend characters who force you to go to certain areas. This is a weird contrast to other hallway simulators like FF10/13 where the areas themselves were designed to be linear.
It's probably related to the levels of the trainers and wild mons - otherwise you get Pokemon Gold/Silver where a huge part of the game is at level 15 while the gyms get up to level 35 because you can access a lot of the map after getting through Ecruteak where you would be around level 15-20 and they don't want you to get into an area where everything is higher level than you, so they just made all of it low level. And apparently they haven't figured out yet how to scale levels automatically.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 19, 2018

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
HELP

My copy of Ultra Sun is missing and it has my many, many shinies and competitive pokemon on it including my shiny Salazzle oh god what am I going to do

RME
Feb 20, 2012

this is how they get you to invest in pokebank

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm really liking the shiny pokemon encounter rate. Already have 4 just by catching a few Pidgey. I'm sick of seeing Charizard and Dagonite hanging around the power plant and rock tunnel entrance.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dr Pepper posted:

Being linear isnt bad.

It can be. Certain games I don't mind it but Sun/Moon handled it in a very very poor way, AKA showing you lots of options of places to go and then just not letting you. Also, the game forces waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many dumb diversions onto you that I didn't want to do. Having to go to the trainer school to fight literal children with one Pokemon each while the game teaches you that every Pokemon has HP and they will faint when it hits 0 sucks. Being forced to go to through the photo tutorials suck. The surfing minigames you have to do to go to the new island sucks (Ultra Only). Being forced to do the new dumb 4-way battle sucks. I was going to do a Nuzlocke of UltraSun and UltraMoon but I wiped on the second island and then I realized I was going to have to sit through two hours of dialogue again and instantly gave up.

On the flipside, Black and White are totally linear but the game doesn't rub it in your face all the time. Even the parts that are linear in LetsGo don't bother me because you're basically just following the path. In S/M, often times there is no path, there's a lot of options for you to take except the game ALWAYS prevents you from making any of those choices and tells you exactly where to go, so it feels bad to be robbed of that choice.. In RBY, no one tells you to go to Pewter City, it's just where you end up after following the trail.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dehry posted:

I'm sick of seeing Charizard and Dagonite hanging around the power plant and rock tunnel entrance.

Pokemon let's go to Ryleh.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I accidentally transfered my alolan geodude... Is there a way to get another one?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've made some great progress today. I beat up Koga and Sabrina, completely cleared out all the routes I can find, explored Articuno and Zapdos' domains and caught them both, and just cleared out the Pokemon Mansion. I'm about to fight Blaine, I peeked into his gym and I'm already liking what I see, so I'll be taking it on momentarily after I get a bit more battery. The team's like level 54-ish, so I'm pretty well prepared for everything at this point - all I need is Earthquake, who I'm assuming a certain Gym Leader will give to me... oh well, it's a good reward at least.

My current team does not include my Eevee, as he is Too Strong, in name and in description. I'm using a Victreebel, Rapidash, Hitmonlee, Alolan Ninetales, Alolan Golem, and Kabutops - they're all tight.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I accidentally transfered my alolan geodude... Is there a way to get another one?

In Let's Go? You can trade as many regular Geodudes for Alolan versions as you want.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yep! You can do the Kanto -> Alolan Form trades as many times as you want! Just gotta have a spare Geodude.

EDIT: You can view these identical posts as many times as you want too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

I was given to understand that the trades for alolan pokemon are unlimited, just have to go give the dude another geodude?

I may be mistaken, i haven't had much time to play myself.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Oh ok I thought it was one and done, awesome

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what determines the stats of the alolan Pokemon you trade for? are they identical to the Pokemon you traded?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ehh no ability and no pokebank, I think I'll pass. I want to replay gen 1 but maybe I can find it for cheaper in a few months

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You know what I'm liking about Let's Go that I wasn't expecting? After you get the second gym badge you can pretty much just blow off the other gyms and explore the rest of the world for a while if you want. You don't need badges to swim or fly or anything like that. I'm really digging getting to play the game in a way that's a little more open world and MUCH less hand holdy than Sun and Moon.

The original games really opened up after you got the Poke Flute and that's a big reason why I still return to them more often than the later games. I'm glad to hear that they didn't remove the non-linearity in Let's Go.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Nodosaur posted:

what determines the stats of the alolan Pokemon you trade for? are they identical to the Pokemon you traded?

Levels aren't identical to the one you traded and I'm pretty sure IVs aren't either. I don't know if they have the same IVs every time you trade or if they're different (as I haven't got the "you can see IVs now" ability yet).

e: overall I'm enjoying this as a cute side game. As it's not a "real" main series game the lack of ability to transfer in your whole team and the removal of a number of features/replacement of certain features with others doesn't bother me too much. I'd been mentally preparing to view it as equivalent to Pokemon Ranger: a fun but pretty shallow game you play through once to get an exclusive mythical type (Manaphy in the case of Ranger, Melman in the case of Let's Go) and then don't really need to bother with again. In that sense it has performed better than my admittedly pretty low expectations. It's what it was advertised as, a cute and gentle introduction to the gameplay of "real" Pokemon games for a younger and more casual audience. Not every side game can be as fleshed out as the Mystery Dungeon games and it's a good taste of what a real game on the Switch would feel like.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 19, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Levels aren't identical to the one you traded and I'm pretty sure IVs aren't either. I don't know if they have the same IVs every time you trade or if they're different (as I haven't got the "you can see IVs now" ability yet).

I guess it doesn't matter considering there's no Hidden Power and Bottle Caps are farm-able daily.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
My Pokemon has been found, my shinies are safe.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

CubeTheory posted:

My Pokemon has been found, my shinies are safe.

Hooray! There is little as bad as losing a favourite shiny. My army of cloned Purple Hypno in Silver/Crystal... My first shiny (that wasn't a red Gyarados)... RIP :(

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

e: overall I'm enjoying this as a cute side game. As it's not a "real" main series game the lack of ability to transfer in your whole team and the removal of a number of features/replacement of certain features with others doesn't bother me too much. I'd been mentally preparing to view it as equivalent to Pokemon Ranger: a fun but pretty shallow game you play through once to get an exclusive mythical type (Manaphy in the case of Ranger, Melman in the case of Let's Go) and then don't really need to bother with again. In that sense it has performed better than my admittedly pretty low expectations. It's what it was advertised as, a cute and gentle introduction to the gameplay of "real" Pokemon games for a younger and more casual audience. Not every side game can be as fleshed out as the Mystery Dungeon games and it's a good taste of what a real game on the Switch would feel like.
Agreed, though I'm frankly liking it as much as I'd like the average main line entry. I wouldn't put it up there with the greats like Platinum/BW2/HGSS quite yet,
but IMO it's not "good for an XYZ," it's just plain good. Shaking up the formula is exactly what Pokemon needed and I really hope we get to keep a lot of these quality of life changes going forward.

Box access and Nicknames from the menu are obviously necessary changes to accomodate the catch-crazy style of the game but I really want that in the next one because it's so drat convenient. EXP multipliers that make leveling up more than "1HKO the highest level thing you can encounter repeatedly" go beyond helpful to downright necessary. Chains to increase IVs and Nature-manipulation I like a lot more than "get a hacked Ditto and a Destiny knot and hope for the best," although that is easier in the long run probably. This is definitely better for my casual brain though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why does pokemon need a game to introduce younger players? It's already playable by like 4 year olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Why does pokemon need a game to introduce younger players? It's already playable by like 4 year olds.

this is for olds