Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

that was a really deep cut Danaru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ohh, its the dax makes tumblr explode episode

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

oh, i did not think that was allowed on telly in the 90s

good on them at star trek

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

oh, i did not think that was allowed on telly in the 90s

good on them at star trek

hot ladies

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Don't doxx me.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just watched the latest "Short Treks" and holy poo poo is it obvious they are trying to make some content with the sets when everyone else is doing something else. The first one with Tilly was sort of interesting/cute, but this one was really, really bad. Every time the computer talked, I had to cringe, and they straight up ripped off Wall-e/Passengers.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

god drat i cant wait for orville season 2

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

THS posted:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Blistex posted:

Just watched the latest "Short Treks" and holy poo poo is it obvious they are trying to make some content with the sets when everyone else is doing something else. The first one with Tilly was sort of interesting/cute, but this one was really, really bad. Every time the computer talked, I had to cringe, and they straight up ripped off Wall-e/Passengers.

Even as the resident Disco apologist I agree. Calypso was boring and terrible and a massive waste of a decent concept.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Powered Descent posted:

I'll see your 80s and raise you the 70s.

Avocado-green shag carpets!

One word: Reaganomics

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

THS posted:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Discovery seems to have good production values but the ship designs and alien designs are kind of crap.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Gatts posted:

Discovery seems to have good production values but the ship designs and alien designs are kind of crap.

Yeah, they honestly should have just gone sequel rather than sequel of a prequel and just gone nuts on special effects and cool tech and new aliens.

Like putting the dead bodies of warriors on their ship exterior is a cool concept. However, Klingon are established as saying the body of the dead is just an empty vessel and they don't give a poo poo about it.

If STD Klingons were actually Garblagions or something you just avoid the whole issue and when people say "hang on they've never been mentioned before" you just go "first contact bro" and then let everyone else who comes after you worry about continuity.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 19, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kitchner posted:

If STD Klingons were actually Garblagions or something you just avoid the whole issue and when people say "hang on they've never been mentioned before" you just go "first contact bro" and then let everyone else who comes after you worry about continuity.

But then they're not Klingons.

STD feels like cargo cult Star Trek.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

it amazes me that the show looks so crappy for all the money they've spent on it

like when they zoom in on a window from outside the ship the drat hull looks like xbox 360 style texture mapping or something

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

it is probably because to the ancient and crumbling producers who are still used to 90s cgi it looks leaps and bounds ahead of what they had in tng and ds9

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

obrien just said something that makes a huge amount of sense

in 4/6 he accused worf of riding the men too hard, saying that engineers dont go to starfleet academy (or possibly just don't have to go)

which really explains people like barclay

THS
Sep 15, 2017

all the noncoms go to tellarite community college

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

in 4/6 he accused worf of riding the men too hard, saying that engineers dont go to starfleet academy (or possibly just don't have to go)

Broccoli went to the academy. O’Brien was talking about the enlisted engineers.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Barclay was a Lieutenant, he went to the Academy. The engineers who are no names less than ensigns didn't go.

Barclay got to Enterprise because his previous commander wrote nice things about him just to get rid of him.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The guy who played Barclay and David Hyde Pierce really need to do a buddy comedy where they play incredibly broken, neurotic, and anxious roommates trying to navigate real life.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Bogus Adventure posted:

The guy who played Barclay and David Hyde Pierce really need to do a buddy comedy where they play incredibly broken, neurotic, and anxious roommates trying to navigate real life.

Whatch who you pitch that to. This is how we got The Big Bang Theory.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
PENY PENY PENY

WHUT IZ IT SHARDUN

BAJUNGAS

*laugh tracks*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
kanar is just Bailey's

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CaptainSkinny posted:

Whatch who you pitch that to. This is how we got The Big Bang Theory.

Yeah, but it's also how we got Frasier, and Frasier loving rules.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

I've love to heard some back in the day stories of what the fan response was like after that first Barclay episode, because it must've been intense if he became a recurring cast member. There weren't any other recurring actors like him unless they were directly connected to the main cast (Keiko, Alexander, Luxanna).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
one time a character was so popular he got fan letters before his episode aired

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

pentyne posted:

I've love to heard some back in the day stories of what the fan response was like after that first Barclay episode, because it must've been intense if he became a recurring cast member. There weren't any other recurring actors like him unless they were directly connected to the main cast (Keiko, Alexander, Luxanna).

I'm sure millions of flop-sweat soaked Trekkies crowed, "He's just like me!" upon seeing him, and flew towards their computers and writing desks as quickly as their pudgy legs would carry them.

Pick posted:

one time a character was so popular he got fan letters before his episode aired

And that character's name was Albert Einstein.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogus Adventure posted:

And that character's name was Michael Burnham.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Bogus Adventure posted:

And that character's name was Albert Einstein.

Really? He didn't get much screen time in the Barclay episode

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
lol god drat, that's some hard hitting sci fi

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm sure millions of flop-sweat soaked Trekkies crowed, "He's just like me!" upon seeing him, and flew towards their computers and writing desks as quickly as their pudgy legs would carry them.
barclay is probably one of my favourite characters just because in a galaxy where everyone has their poo poo together, he is just this huge neurotic loving mess and honestly it is refreshing

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Haha, it totally makes sense now that the Ferengi viewscreen conversations would be riddled with interstitial ads for lobe enhancement pills and commercials for shuttle insurance. I want them to incorporate that if we ever see them again.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I’m getting tired of these twats in the 24th century referring to the 20th as ancient.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Haha, it totally makes sense now that the Ferengi viewscreen conversations would be riddled with interstitial ads for lobe enhancement pills and commercials for shuttle insurance. I want them to incorporate that if we ever see them again.

That's not the Ferengi way. because a free call is a business opportunity.

Then you tack the cost for all those calls onto the bill once the contract's signed, where the Federation won't notice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PenisMonkey posted:

I’m getting tired of these twats in the 24th century referring to the 20th as ancient.

im tired of them pretending that our most enduring cultural content wasn't total poo poo like princess diana collector's plates

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bobby Deluxe posted:

barclay is probably one of my favourite characters just because in a galaxy where everyone has their poo poo together, he is just this huge neurotic loving mess and honestly it is refreshing

I also like Barclay, but I try to block out his creepy obsession with Deanna Troi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I only like him when he's a spider