Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Showing my lack of expertise as a vassal here. Through lots of fighting, I now control all of the counties within a duchy (Aragon). The only problem is that the Duke still exists, even though none of his counties are in Aragon de jure. Is there anything special about me holding all of Aragon that'll make it easier for me to be a Duke? I'm plotting to be given a claim and I have my spymaster parked on the current Duke's capital at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Father and son?grandson? Eh whatever. Vikings kick rear end.
After I took this picture I realized I hadn't taken a warrior trait, so I took duelist which added 30 more personal combat, with battlefield sacrifice I had around 230 personal combat most days.

Pissing off the pope is cool and good, the fool challenged me himself.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Walton Simons posted:

Showing my lack of expertise as a vassal here. Through lots of fighting, I now control all of the counties within a duchy (Aragon). The only problem is that the Duke still exists, even though none of his counties are in Aragon de jure. Is there anything special about me holding all of Aragon that'll make it easier for me to be a Duke? I'm plotting to be given a claim and I have my spymaster parked on the current Duke's capital at the moment.

If you own all the de jure counties in a duchy I'm pretty sure you can usurp it? Or maybe that doesn't work if it's held by your liege, I forget.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I can't usurp a title from anyone in the same realm without a strong claim, unfortunately.

e: Oh my god, the King just put me back under the vassalage of the Duke of Aragon, gently caress everything. Looks like independence wasn't way to go and I'm not popular enough to start a faction. Over to you, Chancellor.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 18, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Of course my genius and strong heir decided to go and eat a prisoner for that delicious -50 general opinion, because why not

Edit: "At least it gave him "The Abomination" as a title.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 18, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

THE BAR posted:

I've always thought it did nothing but give you a stress event, like that was the entire point of picking it.

E:

That, and the pig event for 2 ducats or whatever.

It used to / is supposed to pop up events where you resolve disputes between your vassals; it was a little funky because your chance of getting one scaled with the number of vassals you had, so as a count they would almost never fire and as an emperor you could become a great administrator in a couple years.

Then at some point they retuned it so instead, they almost never fire for anyone. :confused:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I wonder why the game isn't scripted to have the childrens crusade leader be a swole adonis of virtue with every good trait. Just had an attractive, lispy homosexual win the crusade.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

SlothfulCobra posted:

Seems pretty doable so long as the rebels don't try to join eachothers' battles.

Hey guess what happened

My stack of 30000 couldn't beat a stack of 160k peasants. And each revolt I put down, three more popped up.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Haha, had an absolute blast playing a ruler designed lunatic strong genius African count with with a bunch of combat skill and martial buffs. By the end of his life he had like 230 personal combat skill, was warchief, and had a terror mask that absolutely shredded enemy morale. He was regularly winning duels against idiots in their 20s and 30s at 78 and armies led by him were winning against forces 3/4 times larger. ALMOST managed to become immortal but just missed out. Real shame when he died of cancer just before making 80 leaving the realm to a fairly mediocre son.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

It occurs to me that a horse should probably get some kind of personal combat bonus on account of being a horse. I wouldn't like to fight a horse, even if you gave me a sword.

A smart and patient gamer is a horse's worst nightmare

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Someone repost that screed about how a man can punch a horse to death, citing Dark Souls as evidence.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nut to Butt posted:

It seems like a lot of people play CK2 stock, but if you don't mind no achievements...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=929954942

I took it in my Roman Empire game, and the succession has been kinda fucky. It claims to have the same inheritance rules as the empire (imperial elective or w/e), but I can't nominate anyone. It defaults to my firstborn son, which has made keeping the two titles together a little dicey at times. It worked as expected in my Norse game, though.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1133380885

I personally like this one, but it does more than just that one thing.

I had a ruler meet Odin on the down-low and end up cutting out one of his own eyes and doing a bunch of rad stuff to show that he still followed the old ways. Then Odin gave him an artifact that let him seer up some tech points every so often. It was pretty rad.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

I wonder why the game isn't scripted to have the childrens crusade leader be a swole adonis of virtue with every good trait. Just had an attractive, lispy homosexual win the crusade.

... That sounds like a way better outcome than what you're proposing

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

QuarkJets posted:

... That sounds like a way better outcome than what you're proposing

I mean it deffo is (except I worry I won't get a chance to usurp the bloodline), just figured they'd script it to go all in with a hokey living child saint deal.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Broken Cog posted:

Of course my genius and strong heir decided to go and eat a prisoner for that delicious -50 general opinion, because why not

Edit: "At least it gave him "The Abomination" as a title.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Bideo James, The Funny Way to Say "Video Games" > Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury - Of course my heir decided to go and eat a prisoner

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

My genius Nestorian warrior-poet queen died trying to kowtow to the Mongolian Emperor and her kingdom was put in the defense of her club-footed, slow son. :negative:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

QuoProQuid posted:

My genius Nestorian warrior-poet queen died trying to kowtow to the Mongolian Emperor and her kingdom was put in the defense of her club-footed, slow son. :negative:

We need a :xcom: emote for Crusader Kings 2.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah. I guess the obvious solution would be assigning some value to each item and having a maximum amount you can allocate to each of your children, so they naturally spread out. I really like the idea of making some badass sword or whatever then seeing where it ends up 500 years later through inheritance and war. Combined with bloodlines it could do some really cool stuff w/r extra bonuses for acquiring a legendary ancestor's weapon etc
Yeah, obviously it would be more for gavelkind, possibly letting you use prestige/money/artifacts in lieu of titles but it could also mean that maybe a second son under primo wants to be written into the will. Then you have people getting mad about the will if it's unbalanced or if they're greedy/ambitious or whatever

The Cheshire Cat posted:

We need a :xcom: emote for Crusader Kings 2.
Thus art CK2 with a lil crusader

Asproigerosis posted:

there isn't a kind of hereditary memory for traits right? Like when I get the incest baby for bloodlines I'm not going to end up with Charles II 5 generations later because the game remembers?
from what I remember every character has a short genetics string, that's generated from their parents and when two characters have too similar a string, inbred pops up in their offspring

This can actually randomly happen very rarely, if you've ever wondered where the hell that came from

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Voyager posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1133380885

I personally like this one, but it does more than just that one thing.

I had a ruler meet Odin on the down-low and end up cutting out one of his own eyes and doing a bunch of rad stuff to show that he still followed the old ways. Then Odin gave him an artifact that let him seer up some tech points every so often. It was pretty rad.

That's a dope chain.

I tried that mod before Holy Fury hit, but didn't like how it handled stealing artifacts. I remember being galled I couldn't steal from my prisoners (maybe you can now), and apparently the mod I use was inspired by the one you use.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1408448933

I use a couple of other mods that swell the artifact list and change a few things. Hell, I modified my base game just yesterday because I was bent about my Byzantine Imperial Diadem becoming defunct when I reformed Rome. That is a solid mod, though, I might give it another shot or see if they work together/I can kludge them.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I want to try the Reconquista stuff but I’m stupidly insisting on doing it as a basque and god drat it’s difficult

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What causes the "Claim" button that asks the pope for a claim to be greyed out? I hover over it and it says the request would be granted and I have enough piety, but the loving button is greyed out :argh:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What ingredient am I missing in the rival stew? I’ve got some turd vassal I’m trying to goad into a duel but I can’t make him my official rival.

I’m poo poo talking him at every occasion, have -100 modifier, fires from council, stripped of being cupbearer. His wife is dead so I can’t bang her for extra hate points.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Oh cool cool cool pope demands I reclaim some italy land from excommunicated king. He joins the war on the side of italy...

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Captain Beans posted:

What ingredient am I missing in the rival stew? I’ve got some turd vassal I’m trying to goad into a duel but I can’t make him my official rival.

I’m poo poo talking him at every occasion, have -100 modifier, fires from council, stripped of being cupbearer. His wife is dead so I can’t bang her for extra hate points.
Are you using the antagonize function on him?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sydin posted:

What causes the "Claim" button that asks the pope for a claim to be greyed out? I hover over it and it says the request would be granted and I have enough piety, but the loving button is greyed out :argh:

I think it's greyed out when a non catholic holds the title.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Toughest bastard I ever had in this play through I'm doing now. He survived an assassination attempt by his half brother, cancer, gout, great pox, was severely injured in three separate duels, fought off several viking invasions with inexplicable victories despite huge lopsided numbers, killed his half brother in battle, killed his son, killed a bunch of vassals that don't like him, and a quarter of the Band of Medeina in duels.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just started an Animal Kingdom playthrough, and I'll admit I'm somewhat disappointed that being an animal in this mode doesn't seem to give any modifiers in and of itself. I'm a freakin' dragon goddamit, I shouldn't be fearing anything other than heavy cav :colbert:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Holy fury owns. Meet King Horrible Goon:

1) Huge filthwizard
2) Wife won't touch him, keeps loving other men
3) Espionage seems only capable of reporting who is loving his wife, which means either that's where all espionage resources are going or that she just does not give a gently caress about who finds out
4) At about 24 years old, starts following those men around and insulting them
5) Turns them into rivals
6) Duels them, wins
7) Kills so many men who hosed his wife that he becomes the greatest fighter in Russian history

His filthy son is a chip off the ole' block:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nut to Butt posted:

I took it in my Roman Empire game, and the succession has been kinda fucky. It claims to have the same inheritance rules as the empire (imperial elective or w/e), but I can't nominate anyone. It defaults to my firstborn son, which has made keeping the two titles together a little dicey at times. It worked as expected in my Norse game, though.

That's because the Hellenic pagan "papacy" is a king level title like the papacy, instead of being a duchy level title like all other reformed faiths. That screws with the inheritance.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Asproigerosis posted:

Oh cool cool cool pope demands I reclaim some italy land from excommunicated king. He joins the war on the side of italy...

Gotta EARN that crown boy

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I do wish artifacts/items didn't randomly get destroyed on succession. I spent a fortune having a badass war mask made and yeah mysteriously vanishes when I die. You would think that would be a fairly important thing to write into the will!

Hell, I just wish I could take the drat mask off without unequipping it. I like looking at the faces, dangit!

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Just started an Animal Kingdom playthrough, and I'll admit I'm somewhat disappointed that being an animal in this mode doesn't seem to give any modifiers in and of itself. I'm a freakin' dragon goddamit, I shouldn't be fearing anything other than heavy cav :colbert:

I heard on the holy fury release livestream that they're adding animal retinues next patch, also you can roast prisoners as a dragon.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

CommissarMega posted:

Obviously Dragons in this world are only about the size of a very large dog.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cheesetriangles posted:

I think it's greyed out when a non catholic holds the title.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks :)

Also I now know why Catholic MA keeps tanking so hard: the Pope is a loving MORON and keeps calling off Crusades a couple days before they're set to be launched, and every time he cancels one it's a -10% to MA. :psyduck:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

tbh i'm waiting for some kind of animal kingdoms+ mod to play around with those, i'm sure someone out there's working on it

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Obviously Dragons in this world are only about the size of a very large dog.

Considering my dragon's married to a human, this is very good news :v:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
one character can found multiple bloodlines :cool:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

The best ruler I could ever want and and his heirs are all poo poo.

Still playing the HRE game I started earlier, so I haven't updated to Holy Fury.

What does the little frog icon mean?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It means he's gross as hell. -15 attraction and -5 from people who bathe recreationally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Uncouth.

Basically you've got the hygienic practices of a goon.