Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Party Plane Jones posted:

Shockingly fair food is extremely USPOL

Isn't that like cannibalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

wait, she has a KITCHEN?

i thought she was poor! :argh:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

eyebeem posted:

I’m in my late 30s and I’m terrified of ever having to go tit for tat with a legit millennial.

Their fault for going after her for not being an old white guy rather than actually discussing issues.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

enraged_camel posted:

wait, she has a KITCHEN?

i thought she was poor! :argh:

I hear she has a TV too, and it's color!

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

eyebeem posted:

I’m in my late 30s and I’m terrified of ever having to go tit for tat with a legit millennial.

We merely adopted the social media. They were born in it, molded by it.

If they dont manage to tear her down, she will be President one day.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

eyebeem posted:

AOC benefits greatly from being a real person gifted with incredible amounts of rhetorical agility, unlike most gormless white liberals who are born into wealth and can only fail upwards.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

Wohl speaks out
We explained to Wohl that many people are suggesting that he may have set Avenatti up in some way. Wohl then said something that was rather interesting:

“Yeah but it was his live-in girlfriend. So I’ve been running his live-in girlfriend as some kind of manchurian candidate for 6/7 months?”

This is quite an odd statement, given that we are unaware of any reports claiming that the woman accuser had been living with Avenatti for at least ‘6-7 months’. After informing Wohl that we are completely unaware of the accuser having been a live-in girlfriend who had been living with Avenatti for over half a year, he seemed to backtrack a bit.

“It could be someone else, you are right. That’s interesting to point out, but anyway, OK, well that’s that on that story."

I would legitimately be incredibly impressed if it turned out he has been running Avenatti's live in girlfriend has some kind of Manchurian candidate for six or seven months. That's crazy and sounds way outside of Whol's competency zone (lol).

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 19, 2018

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Moreau posted:

We merely adopted the social media. They were born in it, molded by it.

If they dont manage to tear her down, she will be President one day.

Ah you think Twitter is your ally? I didn't see the light of meatspace until I was already a woman, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

AOC benefits greatly from being a real person gifted with incredible amounts of rhetorical agility, unlike most gormless white liberals who are born into wealth and can only fail upwards.

Also, it's important to realize that her position is really strong which gives her a natural advantage against all the horrible failpeople who keep trying to argue with her.

"I think people should have health care and an education and a right to happy lives" is, like, really easy to defend because whenever people attack her she can just go "look, you're a horrible murderer who wants people to die, and I'm not."

Benefits of being an actual leftist

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also, it's important to realize that her position is really strong which gives her a natural advantage against all the horrible failpeople who keep trying to argue with her.

"I think people should have health care and an education and a right to happy lives" is, like, really easy to defend because whenever people attack her she can just go "look, you're a horrible murderer who wants people to die, and I'm not."

I wouldn't even go that far. She has empathy--something these chuckle fucks lack.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mustached Demon posted:

I wouldn't even go that far. She has empathy--something these chuckle fucks lack.

Or said another way

She's actually advocating for real positions held by a human being

Almost everyone else in the political arena is some variety or other of money stooge and thus reflexively insincere. AoC has sincerity and knows how to weaponize it.

Somewhat poignantly, Trump has the same ability, he's just sincerely horrible and spiteful instead of sincerely empathetic.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I now expect every 2020 candidate to show themselves dressed exactly how they are at home and whippin up some wolf chili and armour hotdogs

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The Vice President is literally just the Backup President in case anything happens to the guy at the top. In theory they should basically be as similar as possible to ensure a smooth transition and continuity of government should the unthinkable happen. But because the unthinkable has become increasingly unlikely as time has progressed, the political norm has become to pick a Veep that contrasts and enhanced the POTUS in various ways because there's essentially a 0% chance that they will ever need to become President themselves.

With the expansion of the bueracracy, it is beinifical to have the VP be someone you can trust with running various taskforces and delegating things to. Gore, Cheney and Biden all did a hell of a lot more work than previous VPs did.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is an excellent point, I have yet to see a single focus tested tweet out of her about being "fair to main street and wall street" or "access to affordable __________________"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

I would legitimatelybe incredibly impressed if it turned out he has running Avenatti's live in girlfriend has some kind of Manchurian candidate for six or seven months. That's crazy and sounds way outside of Whol's competency zone (lol).

There's possibility is that the accuser had nothing to do with Avenatti and is just claiming to be his live-in girlfriend and it's all just a con by the Wohls. It should be real easy to prove a relationship in this day and age with social media.

Just so I'm not a complete fool, I know Avenatti had a presser when he posted bail but haven't bothered to watch. Has he confirmed that it was his girlfriend or is that from the police report?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

I now expect every 2020 candidate to show themselves dressed exactly how they are at home and whippin up some wolf chili and armour hotdogs

what kind of candidate likes armour hotdogs?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

None of this "us new dem politicians are just like you!" stuff will top Beto doing sick air drums to Baba O'Riley in a whataburger drive thru line

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

This is an excellent point, I have yet to see a single focus tested tweet out of her about being "fair to main street and wall street" or "access to affordable __________________"

She's advocating strongly for good positions out of an apparently genuine desire to help people. It turns out that that's actually a reasonably good strategy.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Maggie is a crypto-Republican.

Half the Democratic Party are crypto-Republicans though

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

platform from her website, which is a more lasting and compelling message than a tweet:

https://ocasio2018.com/issues

quote:

This means open access to safe, legal, affordable abortion, birth control, and family planning services, as well as access to adequate, affordable pre- and post-natal care, for all people, regardless of income, location or education.

rip

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Politicians have been trying to pull off manufactured humanity for basically forever, to hilarious results.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Aramis posted:

Politicians have been trying to pull off manufactured humanity for basically forever, to hilarious results.

See: Iowa State Fair this coming year.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Young Freud posted:

There's possibility is that the accuser had nothing to do with Avenatti and is just claiming to be his live-in girlfriend and it's all just a con by the Wohls. It should be real easy to prove a relationship in this day and age with social media.

Just so I'm not a complete fool, I know Avenatti had a presser when he posted bail but haven't bothered to watch. Has he confirmed that it was his girlfriend or is that from the police report?

I might be wrong but I think he's admitted he hit her but alleges that she hit him first.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Soonmot posted:

what kind of candidate likes armour hotdogs?

Fat candidates, skinny candidates, candidates who climb on rocks.

Tall candidates, short candidates, even anti vax candidates with chicken pox!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Feinne posted:

I might be wrong but I think he's admitted he hit her but alleges that she hit him first.

that was from the TMZ report which was definitely wrong about a big detail (the accuser being Avenatti's ex-wife)

Avenatti made a short public statement after getting released that he has never struck a woman

we don't exactly have a lot of confirmed details of the actual allegations

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I know we are all use to it but

"Wouldn't it have been nice if we got Osama bin Laden a lot sooner than that, wouldn't it have been nice?" Trump asked. "You know, living - think of this - living in Pakistan, beautifully in Pakistan in what I guess they considered a nice mansion, I don't know, I've seen nicer. But living in Pakistan right next to the military academy, everybody in Pakistan knew he was there."

This is a quote from the loving president. I don't know. I think it's a good thing to have moments these days that make you go what the gently caress? I don't want this to feel normal.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I know we are all use to it but

"Wouldn't it have been nice if we got Osama bin Laden a lot sooner than that, wouldn't it have been nice?" Trump asked. "You know, living - think of this - living in Pakistan, beautifully in Pakistan in what I guess they considered a nice mansion, I don't know, I've seen nicer. But living in Pakistan right next to the military academy, everybody in Pakistan knew he was there."

This is a quote from the loving president. I don't know. I think it's a good thing to have moments these days that make you go what the gently caress? I don't want this to feel normal.

the weirdest thing about this story is not trump's casual malicious stupidity but that what he said about bin laden's whereabouts is completely consistent with the Sy Hersh story. it was like widely dismissed as being too narrowly sourced and not consistent with other reporting, but i get the feeling trump repeated something classified he learned.

(alternatively someone just told him that story and it's one of those things his mushy brain has retained because it makes Obama and Pakistan look bad)

eke out fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 19, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

I keep thinking if Obama had been doing Instagram Live chats we might have kept the house and senate

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

platform from her website, which is a more lasting and compelling message than a tweet:

https://ocasio2018.com/issues

rip

The "regardless of income" part is important

Morbus
May 18, 2004

eke out posted:

the weirdest thing about this story is not trump's casual malicious stupidity but that what he said about bin laden's whereabouts is completely consistent with the Sy Hersh story. it was like widely dismissed as being too narrowly sourced and not consistent with other reporting, but i get the feeling trump repeated something classified he learned.

(alternatively someone just told him that story and it's one of those things his mushy brain has retained because it makes Obama and Pakistan look bad)

Gonna go with "half-remembered and cherry picked factoids mangled by his smooth brain", since that's about 99.999% of what comes out of his mouth.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why do Goons like Doonsebury again?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Morbus posted:

Gonna go with "half-remembered and cherry picked factoids mangled by his smooth brain", since that's about 99.999% of what comes out of his mouth.

"accidentally revealed classified info because he wanted to insult obama" is a pretty plausible story with him too though, that's the only thing that gives me pause

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

eke out posted:

I think it's at least as likely he heard it from a Fox News talking head. In all honesty I bet he pays a lot more attention to Fox pundits than he does his classified intelligence briefings.

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008

eke out posted:

"accidentally revealed classified info because he wanted to insult obama" is a pretty plausible story with him too though, that's the only thing that gives me pause

theres no way Trump remembers anything from his classified briefings cause he's probably sleeping. Probably some fox and friends clip from 4 years ago or something

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

The "regardless of income" part is important

i agree (and part of the joke in my ongoing ironical criticisms of AOC is that I'm discovering totally inconsequential nitpicks in clearly good positions and then signal boosting the good positions, see my inaugural "she is a Bad Dem because she supports a guaranteed jobs program over UBI"), i'm just also needling Formerly Peven Stan because the best takes he has ever made are thoroughly sneery and his median takes are bad

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 19, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mantis42 posted:

Why do Goons like Doonsebury again?

The political cartoon thread is basically group staring into the abyss.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doonesbury almost never gets posted there though :shrug:

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Doonesbury has always sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why does he draw their eyes like that? Even as a kid that bugged me.