Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Why does pokemon need a game to introduce younger players? It's already playable by like 4 year olds.

It's less to introduce younger players and more to introduce Go players, who'd be naturally unfamiliar with the mechanics of a mainline Pokemon game. By combining systems of both, it makes for a far easier entrance experience, and then they can naturally move on towards Gen 8 which will definitely be far closer to a normal Pokemon game.

Even like that it's clearly made its mark around regular players, so it's clearly doing something right. I'm still uninterested myself, but I'm glad it's good instead of living up to my fears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finally reached the safari town and transferred some of my Pokémon from Go. Pretty fast and seamless and now I have a Meltan too. I learned the secret surf technique so now I can proceed to chain Lapras so I can get closer to putting together my dream team.

PS: you earn a mystery box in Go that acts as a Meltan lure for 30 minutes whenever you transfer Pokémon from Go to Lets Go and you can re-earn it once a week. Since Meltan needs a fuckton of candy to evolves this is kinda nice as a way to make it slightly less impossible.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think the "trying to rope Go players into the main games" is a very weird marketing approach. How many total people play Pokemon Go, but also own a Nintendo Switch, but ALSO haven't played any other Pokemon games? It seems more like a game aimed at moms than kids.

On the flipside, Pokemon games have been riding this line of "we have to re-explain EVERY game mechanic for babies" while also trying to placate the older returning playerbase, and imo they've been doing a Not Good job of it with the recent entries. Funny enough, while this game drops the returning playerbase pretense entirely, I'm genuinely surprised how faithful the game is to the original RBY. Somehow the game made for casuals is less hand-holdey than S/M and the game still has an intimidating number of trainers to battle.

This isn't one of the top entries in the series but I think this might be my new preferential way of playing Gen1.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Hello fellow goons, disregard what the forum might tell you, I am actually posting from the year 2019

Pokemon Let's Go was so fun and such a success that Nintendo decided to cancel Gen 8 and start working on the 2nd installment of the new main series

Also Hollywood planning to set up a Japanese branch after Detective Pikachu saved anime adaptations by being nominated in all Oscar categories and becoming the highest grossing film in history by a 3 billion margin

That is all. Look forward to the next year!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lets Go Shuckle for gen 2 or no sale from me.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

Hello fellow goons, disregard what the forum might tell you, I am actually posting from the year 2019

Pokemon Let's Go was so fun and such a success that Nintendo decided to cancel Gen 8 and start working on the 2nd installment of the new main series

I'm unironically looking forward to Let's Go Gold/Silver.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sorry friends, Lets Go Mareep vs Lets Go Sentret is the only 2020 race I am going to be voting in

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
This game is a lot better than I expected. Something that drove me crazy about Gens 6 and 7 was how everyone said the way to "fix" the EXP Share from overleveling you was to rotate through a big group of 10+ regular Pokemon to spread out the EXP. But constantly PC managing and shuffling through a big group was so annoying, so I just begrudgingly turned off the EXP Share and was always underleveled because those games weren't really balanced properly and blegh. Putting the PC in your bag in this game is a game changer because now it's actually fun and easy to rotate through a big group of 10+ regular Pokemon.

One thing I was wondering that I had trouble googling: what's with the little animation of Eevee waving around a green joy-con that pops up every now and then? At first I thought it meant that my Eevee wanted to play but then it started popping up in battles too so I suspect it means something else.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

Just lol if you think Johto won't be Let's Go Togepi and Let's Go Phanpy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This isn't one of the top entries in the series but I think this might be my new preferential way of playing Gen1.
I can't go back to old Pokemon games in general due to QoL improvements, but I would never even dream of playing Red/FR after Let's Go. It's so much better.
EDIT:

mancalamania posted:

One thing I was wondering that I had trouble googling: what's with the little animation of Eevee waving around a green joy-con that pops up every now and then? At first I thought it meant that my Eevee wanted to play but then it started popping up in battles too so I suspect it means something else.
If you shake the Joycon/Pokeball in battle, you use your turn to let your Partner power itself/the current Pokemon up. I believe all stats go up by one stage?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

mancalamania posted:

Shake the controller to play with Eevee / shake the controller for Eevee to do an attack.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
"let's go wooper" - me whenever i see a wooper

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

how do you modify Pikachu and Eevee's haircuts?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Shake the controller to play with Eevee / shake the controller for Eevee to do an attack.

I think the eevee attack is to use your turn to get a buff in each stat.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

They are going to go with Let's go Marill.

Let's go Pikablu is too strong a concept to pass by.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
gently caress the old style of random battles. The new style is easy better imho.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Crawfish posted:

They are going to go with Let's go Marill.

Let's go Pikablu is too strong a concept to pass by.

whats the other half of that version pairing though?

let's go pichu?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Sea Lily posted:

whats the other half of that version pairing though?

let's go pichu?
As a Pikachu dude, I would freaking love a let's go Pichu, but it's probably be Togepi or something else very relevant in the Johto series of the anime.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If they do a Gen 4 one it better be Let's Go Bidoof or I'll be very upset.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Crawfish posted:

As a Pikachu dude, I would freaking love a let's go Pichu, but it's probably be Togepi or something else very relevant in the Johto series of the anime.

Totodile was very relevant

Here you can see the anime foreshadowing the 2nd gen Let's Go 18 years early

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Pokémon Let’s Go Marill and Sneasel

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The addition of seeing pokemon in the overworld and removing random combat are the 2 biggest best changes ever in pokemon and they had better stay for the next mainline game or I will be very upset while preordering it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have a feeling they'll avoid the traditional trio of starters in each gen since there's 2 games and it would be weird if only 1 or 2 of said starters get featured

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Johnny Joestar posted:

i have a feeling they'll avoid the traditional trio of starters in each gen since there's 2 games and it would be weird if only 1 or 2 of said starters get featured

Easy.

Cyndaquil is trash and no one would care.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Let's Go Marill and Let's Go Togepi seem like two good choices, people still love Togepi thanks to the anime, and Marill was your friend's (not the rival, the other one) primary pokemon in the HG/SS remake wasnt it? so that makes some sense

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
let's go eevee/let's go marill
let's go eevee/let's go luvdisc
let's go eevee/let's go buizel
let's go eevee/let's go garbodor
let's go eevee/let's go furfrou
let's go eevee/let's go pyukumuku

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I'm unironically looking forward to Let's Go Gold/Silver.

Same!

Man, I feel bad for doubting this game. I was almost positive this was going to be a Fallout 76 situation, but I'm happy to be wrong

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Let's Go Mawile/Let's Go Sableye

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
So how are EVs handled in this game? Do you still get them by battling, or are they relegated to candy?
If the latter, have I made a mistake using Pikachu candy, as it gives EVs to all stats?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Lol if you think Let's Go gen IV won't somehow be "Let's Go Lucariotrash"

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Velisarius posted:

So how are EVs handled in this game? Do you still get them by battling, or are they relegated to candy?
If the latter, have I made a mistake using Pikachu candy, as it gives EVs to all stats?

The EVs you would have gotten are now candy. As you chain captures you get more. The candies named after a Pokemon give a boost to every stat to a Pokemon of that species.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
wheres my lets go oh poo poo the coders assigned the wrong sprites to venomoth and butterfree

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Velisarius posted:

EVs are not awarded in Let's Go (although data pertaining to them still exists, and a game could in principle use both EVs and the new system at the same time). Instead, you get candy, which you can use to give boosts similar to what EVs do. Unlike EVs, candy doesn't scale based on level. The limits on how far they can improve a pokemon's stats are much higher than EVs: the limit on how high a given stat can be increased is ridiculous (although it takes more and more candy to get there), and you can boost every stat to the maximum if you want.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

Lol if you think Let's Go gen IV won't somehow be "Let's Go Lucariotrash"
Riolu has a name

Bongo Bill posted:

EVs are not awarded in Let's Go (although data pertaining to them still exists, and a game could in principle use both EVs and the new system at the same time). Instead, you get candy, which you can use to give boosts similar to what EVs do. Unlike EVs, candy doesn't scale based on level. The limits on how far they can improve a pokemon's stats are much higher than EVs: the limit on how high a given stat can be increased is ridiculous (although it takes more and more candy to get there), and you can boost every stat to the maximum if you want.
To confirm, it's not a 200 Candy Max for each Pokemon, it's a 200 Stat Increase Cap for Each Stat per Pokemon right? Cause the latter is unfuckupable while the former is super easy to gently caress up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Riolu has a name

To confirm, it's not a 200 Candy Max for each Pokemon, it's a 200 Stat Increase Cap for Each Stat per Pokemon right? Cause the latter is unfuckupable while the former is super easy to gently caress up.

Yep, and there's no level limit on that. So you can give a level 5 +200 to all of its stats and it'll be as strong as like a level 70.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I want to take a moment to inform you that Ash's Rowlet has "learned" ""Seed Bomb"" by swallowing, regurgitating and swallowing an Everstone.

Proves the Ash doesn't know what he's doing.
I'd use an Eviolite.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kikas posted:

Proves the Ash doesn't know what he's doing.
I'd use an Eviolite.

Ash didn't have anything to do with it. Rowlet picked it up and swallowed it because he's dumb.

By the end of the episode, Rowlet is attached to it and keeps spitting it up like owl pellets, and he doesn't take it away because he's not a jerk who makes his Pokemon unhappy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All right, so: How do I get Meltan and Melmetal in this? I haven't played Go in like two years.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't know, but I assume 200 points.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

RatHat posted:

Yep, and there's no level limit on that. So you can give a level 5 +200 to all of its stats and it'll be as strong as like a level 70.
Rad. That'll make the Master Trainers a little more reasonable.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

My first choice for streamlining the series would have been reducing the maximum level of pokemon but the new catching stuff does a good job of speeding the game up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

mancalamania posted:

In battle, it appears and you shake the joycon to get Eevee to do a BIG ATTACK. If he's not out, he gives a boost to all your active Pokemon's stats.

Outside of battle, shake the joycon and Eevee will react to something that just happened in the overworld, or randomly give you a cool gift. Squeak polished a ball of dirt and gave it to me. She also reacted with an anime :stonk: face when Bill turned back into a human. The prompt seems to only appear when you're playing with the joycon detached so I stopped playing in handheld mode just so I could see Squeak be adorable and get gifts from her.