Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is $900 a good price for round trip from the U.S. to Tokyo?

How's United Airlines compared to American?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

Mister Donuts

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Nanigans posted:

Is $900 a good price for round trip from the U.S. to Tokyo?

How's United Airlines compared to American?

What Airport? Probably fine, unless it's LAX.

They both suck like poo poo. Prefer JAL or ANA, or a plane that is operated by one of them instead.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ntan1 posted:

What Airport? Probably fine, unless it's LAX.

They both suck like poo poo. Prefer JAL or ANA, or a plane that is operated by one of them instead.

Woah, this looks really good. Trip isn't until October, but this seems like a great deal. What do y'all think?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 19, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nanigans posted:

We're leaving from MIA with the layover both times in Chicago.

These say one of them is operated by United, but seems to be on a ANA plane, and the other flight seems to be the inverse. How bad are we talking with United?

Yeah, that flight is fine and it's a decent price on it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nanigans posted:

Woah, this looks really good. Trip isn't until October, but this seems like a great deal. What do y'all think?

Oh, yeah grab that.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Stringent posted:

Oh, yeah grab that.

I just noticed it's operated by American. Is that still okay?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
It’s entirely dependent on you. I’ve never given much of a poo poo about any airlines service and I sleep most of the flight. Something really nice like Emirates or Sing air or whatever is great but hardly matters overall imo.

On the other hand I know people who go apoplectic when they don’t have exactly the meal option they want or complain endlessly about seat size despite being 10-20cm shorter than me. Just go for it and be relaxed and drink some wine or whatever and sleep.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nanigans posted:

I just noticed it's operated by American. Is that still okay?

Ah yeah, you're right. I've ridden both the ORD and DFW flights and there isn't that much difference between them, just grab whichever one's schedule works better for you.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, I'm not picky. I just didn't want to end up on a flight from hell. I'll probably sleep/watch movies on my laptop/play Switch.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
JAL flies out of ORD and JFK, iirc. It's nice, but as long as you aren't on an American flight to Shanghai, you'll be alright.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I have had 3 flights come in multiple hours late to Narita due to maintenance issues on US based airlines. 3 times stranded at an airport hotel or partway to my destination because of the extreme lateness of the flight. No more US carriers for me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

sale on Banksy art posted:

I have had 3 flights come in multiple hours late to Narita due to maintenance issues on US based airlines. 3 times stranded at an airport hotel or partway to my destination because of the extreme lateness of the flight. No more US carriers for me.

Of the dozens of times I've flown US carriers I've never had this happen, so you might just be unlucky.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ve flown Delta between Narita and the States a bunch, but mostly because that’s the only direct back home from Japan. I flew United once NRT-Houston and had poor man’s first class (an entire set of three seats including window to myself), and it was fine.

As long as you’re not on a Chinese carrier or stuck in the middle seat of the center section it’ll be okay.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's no real difference between the American airlines. Asian airlines have better service but it's marginal unless you're on like Singapore or something at the top end. US airline service is much better trans-Pacific than domestic.

If you see a 787 fly on that no matter what airline it is (unless it's Chinese) because that plane is a real difference, more than the airline.

Economy Plus is also very much worth it for a trans-Pacific flight if you're tall.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

go for it buddy

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Economy Plus is also very much worth it for a trans-Pacific flight if you're tall.

Also if you want to drink anything harder than beer or wine.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Grand Fromage posted:

There's no real difference between the American airlines. Asian airlines have better service but it's marginal unless you're on like Singapore or something at the top end. US airline service is much better trans-Pacific than domestic.

If you see a 787 fly on that no matter what airline it is (unless it's Chinese) because that plane is a real difference, more than the airline.

Oh drat Singapore is top end? I got a round trip flight out of LA for $650, leaving Thanksgiving day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Injuryprone posted:

Oh drat Singapore is top end? I got a round trip flight out of LA for $650, leaving Thanksgiving day.

Yeah it's regularly named world's best airline on a lot of lists. Always way up at the top at least.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

zmcnulty posted:

Also if you want to drink anything harder than beer or wine.

I only fly economy and have had access to a full spread of liquors on every flight between Japan and North America.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

prompt posted:

I only fly economy and have had access to a full spread of liquors on every flight between Japan and North America.

That is until you don't have access anymore at some point between Japan and North America.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Actually I think it does depend on the airline. Delta was only beer/wine for transpacific regular economy last time I flew, same with JAL between Seoul and Tokyo just a couple weeks ago.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Hainan is the exception to the no Chinese rule, in my opinion. I fly their 787s whenever I need to go to mainland China and it's a pleasant experience.

I get the kosher meal though, that helps.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
So I need to fly from Osaka to Hong Kong in December, and it seems like Peach is the only real option for that route. Are they decent or do they mega suck? I know for sure I'll need to check at least one bag.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Peach is a lovely low cost airline like all the others. They are not as bad as Air Asia. Osaka to Hong Kong isn't that long a flight so whatever.

I flew them twice and they were very strict about bag weight. It was the only airline I ever flew within Asia that even bothered to check.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I find peach to be better than other LCCs and Japanese LCCs to be a grade above your generic LCCS.

Peach has more leg room and the few times I have flown on them they were not strict on carry on weight at all. But I was carrying a bigger duffel carry on only.

Peach isn’t the only option, there’s also Cathay, ANA, JAL and even China Eastern. I guess peach is the only affordable one for you, better luck next time! I don’t find peach bad at all though, I like it more than China Eastern

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
On the US Pacific flights, JAL > ANA > UA = AA, due to the sizing of the seats.

From Chicago and NY, both JAL and ANA operate 777s that have a width of 9 seats, while UA and AA have a width of 10 seats. Additionally, JAL and ANA have a seat pitch of 34 inches (distance between your seat and the seat in front of you), whereas US and AA have 32.

Finally, that Chicago connection goes to Haneda airport, which is a strictly better airport than Narita.

So honestly this itinerary which somebody linked above is probably the best, and actually the cheapest considering Haneda instead of Narita.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
But you got to fly United, gently caress United.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Also I personally think JAL > Singapore but that's me (I also like the meal options on JAL more than Singapore in general). Singapore's LAX to NRT flight is 32 inches, while JAL is 34, and JAL has optimized the seat size for more roomier space.

Basically, I dont recommend anyone fly on JAL premium economy, because their economy seat already feels like premium economy on an American plane.

But keep in mind I'm tall so this poo poo matters.

^ United is just as lovely as AA sorry. It's just 3 hours who cares, compared to the 13 hour flight.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
But if you aren’t always flying then all this stuff info is moot, just pick a cheap direct flight and plan for other fun things

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Also I personally think JAL > Singapore but that's me (I also like the meal options on JAL more than Singapore in general). Singapore's LAX to NRT flight is 32 inches, while JAL is 34, and JAL has optimized the seat size for more roomier space.

Basically, I dont recommend anyone fly on JAL premium economy, because their economy seat already feels like premium economy on an American plane.

But keep in mind I'm tall so this poo poo matters.

Is ANA the same as JAL in this regard? Trying to plan future flights out keeping size and comfort in mind. I’ve only flown trans-Pacific in ANA once, the rest were all US carriers :gonk:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

life hack: be 5'4" :iia:

Peach KIX-Hong Kong sucked because the seats were uncomfortable and the queues tend to be other idiot young people. But, the flight is only 4.5 hours so whatevs.
Note that the Peach terminal at KIX is a ghetto trailer maze that you get bussed to, so allow an extra 40 minutes just for that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Peach is super picky about baggage weight and to have any checked bags it pretty much doubles the ticket cost so keep that in mind. They also have a pretty small carryon rule and were literally measuring poo poo when I flew them, so don't think it's like US LCCs where you can kinda slide by.

They're basically the same as Spirit but maybe slightly better service wise.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Almost. Here's the nitty gritty since I have a lot of experience with this:

So the pitch is the same on both ANA and JAL; but the number of seats in each row can vary. JAL runs 9-across on all planes, including ones coming from the west coast of the US. ANA runs 10-across on planes from the west coast, so namely LAX, SFO, and SEA.

So now lets say you are on one of the ANA planes that is 9-across. These planes use an older seat style prior to the more recent planes, and at this time ANA chose these seats to slide forward instead of recline. Meanwhile, JAL seats will recline backwards (but if you sit behind, it's still not an issue because the area your knees touch doesn't move.

Based on the above two JAL is a tiny bit more roomier.

Service wise, JAL is a tiny bit better than ANA, but they are both about the same level as Singapore. The food is very good for a plane.

That being said, I'm in the San Francisco region, and I actually prefer ANA from LAX these days because of the redeye flight to Haneda, as opposed to JAL. It means I can sleep on the plane, and get into Haneda at 5:30AM and don't waste a day off from work.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 19, 2018

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

life hack: be 5'4" :iia:

yeah I'm 5'6 and asian economy is still like too much room for me lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Almost. Here's the nitty gritty since I have a lot of experience with this:

That being said, I'm in the San Francisco region, and I actually prefer ANA from LAX these days because of the redeye flight to Haneda, as opposed to JAL. It means I can sleep on the plane, and get into Haneda at 5:30AM and don't waste a day off from work.

This is good advise, cheers. And yeah, the only non-US flight I’ve had across the Pacific was that LAX-HND red-eye...after flying up from Central America to LAX. That work trip sucked.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

It’s ANA instead of JAL but it has short layovers, $900, into and out of Haneda, only the domestic flights are United...

My only qualm is there’s no refunds, but whatevs.

Stupid question: Does anyone know if I’d be able to choose my seats? I just don’t want to be seated away from my wife. Don’t care where we sit.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Nanigans posted:

Stupid question: Does anyone know if I’d be able to choose my seats? I just don’t want to be seated away from my wife. Don’t care where we sit.

If you buy both tickets at the same time I've never seen it happen that they split the seats but you should also be able to change your seating at checkin.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

gschmidl posted:

If you buy both tickets at the same time I've never seen it happen that they split the seats but you should also be able to change your seating at checkin.

Okay, that’s what I figured, but wanted to check. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

gschmidl posted:

Pretty much and if when you check in online , or when you actually purchase the tickets there should be a seat selection screen.

1. If you want to be 100% sure then pay for assigned seating.

2. Like others said , the tickets are booked as the same itinerary then going to the gate counter together is 80% ok.

3. Heck, you can even travel on different itineraries and just ask the gate agent for a specific seat (if this sounds confusing don’t do this)