Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

isndl posted:

I have only just learned that the Huawei Mate 20 Pro uses the USB port for audio output. Not as a replacement audio jack, but in lieu of speaker grilles. Your volume effectively drops if you plug it in to charge.

I just noticed that today too! Doesn't matter too much as I only have to charge it every third day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

FistEnergy posted:

The 6T fingerprint sensor works well and is cool, and piques the interest of people around me to a noticeable degree. Security against secret agent fantasies is irrelevant. It's good, folks.

Being hackable by a piece of tinfoil isn't exactly secret agent fantasy, though. Even if you aren't particularly worried about what you store on your phone, that sort of vulnerability will make it a target for thieves, since there's a much better chance they'll be able to gain full access to it than with other phones.

But hey, glad it makes you look like a cool kid to random people around you.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Are there any apps that can alter scroll speed? I recently got a Lenovo tab 4 8 plus to replace my old Nexus 7 (rest in power, little king) and it's great except for that the scroll speed is bafflingly slow. It's not laggy, it just takes like four swipes to get from the top of a page to the bottom, where on every other Android device I've had I can do that with just one.

It's like they didn't implement the inertial/momentum scrolling stuff other touch screens have. It sounds like a little thing but it's bugging the poo poo out of me.

Also since I usually use Samsung phones the navigation buttons at the bottom are in the "wrong" order but I'll get used to that.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

DrDork posted:

Being hackable by a piece of tinfoil isn't exactly secret agent fantasy, though. Even if you aren't particularly worried about what you store on your phone, that sort of vulnerability will make it a target for thieves, since there's a much better chance they'll be able to gain full access to it than with other phones.

But hey, glad it makes you look like a cool kid to random people around you.

The article's headline is that this has been patched already though?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I guess the 6T's day-0 security snafu was pretty minor this time.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

bull3964 posted:

Pocophone F1 is a market anomaly since it's currently only available in India. We'll see if that $300 price holds as they ramp up production and go to other markets. There are also reports that when this device is used in it's home region, India, there are ads littered throughout, so it also could very well be a subsidized situation. We'll see how this thing is when they start doing it globally.

As far as something like the Honor Note 10, I just don't find it that compelling because again, I'm not convinced corners haven't been cut.

For example, I have have a Mediapad M5 with a Kirin 960 that benches very well. But it can't run Hulu without dropping frames while my ancient Nexus 7 with a Snapdragon Pro in it can.

For anyone in the UK, this is now available from Amazon for £279.trip report when mine arrives.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

For anyone in the UK, this is now available from Amazon for £279.trip report when mine arrives.

A week in and I've got no major issues with mine. There's something funky with Google managed accounts where it seems to need manual reauthentication every day but that's a pretty niche issue I think.

Battery is lasting a couple of days at a time. It seems to have a better network connection than my og pixel did, I'm seeing faster speeds and stronger signal at home and at the office.

I really don't find MIUI offensive either.

I'm incredibly impressed by the phone, considering the low price.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hey guys, a fairly easy one here. My gf has a galaxy S6 and it is slow as gently caress and lovely. So, I want to give it a good ol' factory reset and start it from clean. What's the best way to do this without losing all of her pics and contacts? I know there is a backup facility on the phone , but wouldn't that just put all the crap back on that was making it slow in the first place?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

henpod posted:

Hey guys, a fairly easy one here. My gf has a galaxy S6 and it is slow as gently caress and lovely. So, I want to give it a good ol' factory reset and start it from clean. What's the best way to do this without losing all of her pics and contacts? I know there is a backup facility on the phone , but wouldn't that just put all the crap back on that was making it slow in the first place?

Samsung Kies or whatever it's called nowadays allows you to back up and restore everything, it also lets you pick which things to back up and/or restore. So you could just have it do a full backup and only restore contacts or text messages while leaving apps and settings out.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Lol why the heck do OnePlus phones still have the issue of widgets not updating automatically?
I searched and the first reports are from 2014 and latest are from this year: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/widgets-dont-refresh.745332/
I even did a factory reset on my phone and they still don't update. Today my bank balance widget froze as well and that app only updates manually. Jeez. Besides widgets it also kills background apps with persistent notifications like step counters multiple times per day. All of the problematic apps set to "don't optimize" in battery settings and advanced optimization (I think it's renamed doze?) is off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Because despite putting all of the RAM into the phone, their memory management is comically aggressive and kills everything well before the RAM is anywhere near full.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endless Mike posted:

Because despite putting all of the RAM into the phone, their memory management is comically aggressive and kills everything well before the RAM is anywhere near full.

I wonder if it's like those counterfeit thumbdrives where the firmware is made to falsely report, say 1TB but they're actually like cheap 512mb chips and everything exceeding that 512mb gets corrupted, except it's RAM and they're actively preventing usage of more than the actual space on the chips so that nobody notices they're faking specs.

Keep in mind they can't even benchmark the memory because the process is being killed.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

henpod posted:

Sync contacts to her google account or sim card, and just plug the phone into a PC if you have one and copy it off like a flash drive (you have to select file transfer via usb on the phone once you connect, it'll give you a notification). Also check xda to see if someones come up with an image that'll run better than Samsungs, which is likely. Nothing to lose, phone isn't worth a lot.

Ormy posted:

I just noticed that today too! Doesn't matter too much as I only have to charge it every third day.

Looking at gfs phone (P20) last night around, I dunno 9 or 10 pm. 78% after unplugging it around 9 that morning. And I thought my P2 was good. Cant wait for my P20 Pro to get here this week, hoping the free Huawei watch 2 is okay as well. Love my old Pebble Steel but its had its day.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 19, 2018

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Keep in mind they can't even benchmark the memory because the process is being killed.

Wait what?!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

From Ars's review:

quote:

The problem we ran into was an overly aggressive policy toward background apps. In fact, you'll notice we don't have a battery score for the OnePlus 6T, because the battery test can't run. Our battery tests keep the screen on while running through a series of webpages to see how long the battery lasts. To keep the screen on, we usually install an app that will keep the screen awake, of which there are dozens on the Play Store. No matter what we tried, the OnePlus 6T would prevent all of these apps from working when they were in the background, so the phone never stayed awake. This is not the proper way to treat an app generating an ongoing notification, and after bringing the issue up with OnePlus, the company said it would be fixed in a future patch. For now, though, we don't have a battery score.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
8gb of RAM, for earners

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's almost like OnePlus really isn't very good.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I was mistaken, they weren't able to benchmark the battery because the process was being killed.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

henpod posted:

For photos, you can use Google Photos. It'll upload all of her photos to the cloud for free. The quality is downgraded slightly (unless you pay for storage space), but not to any extent you'd notice on a phone screen. Google Photos is also just a great gallery app in general.

Alternatively, depending how much space she is using for her photos, Dropbox or similar backup services have free tiers that might be sufficient.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

incogneato posted:

For photos, you can use Google Photos. It'll upload all of her photos to the cloud for free. The quality is downgraded slightly (unless you pay for storage space), but not to any extent you'd notice on a phone screen.
Just for info, you don’t necessarily have to pay for storage. You can choose to keep the originals and it’ll happily do that until you use all your 15GB of free Google space.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I think it's most likely the 1+ over-management is something they baked in when first launching their phones, and they've just forgotten to take it out, much like admin credentials.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's almost like OnePlus really isn't very good.

But that battery life and that RAM

*can't keep open SMS app*

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

OnePlus is just automating the behavior of their typical customer who force close or disable everything they can

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I was mistaken, they weren't able to benchmark the battery because the process was being killed.

Oh ok. Still bad, but not "you literally cannot use all of the ram" bad. Like, at that point you may as well just include a bunch of disconnected chips and say you made the first phone that comes with 64gb of ram.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

When I first got into this poo poo I was so anal. Radios off all the time if not being used, force closing apps. Some custom rom on my original i9000 and got 2 day battery on occasion (with an aftermarket battery that was a few more mah than stock, not one of those big thick fuckers though). I dont gently caress with anything now. If things slow down, swipe up and close everything. Otherwise I dont turn anything off, gently caress that. Phones aren't worth that kind of micromanaging.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

vyst posted:

The battery life is real good though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

Oh ok. Still bad, but not "you literally cannot use all of the ram" bad. Like, at that point you may as well just include a bunch of disconnected chips and say you made the first phone that comes with 64gb of ram.

Except that like, that's exactly what it's doing, except that they're connected and using power.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

OnePlus is just automating the behavior of their typical customer who force close or disable everything they can

That feel when the phone janitors you

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

vyst posted:

You can use autostart and/or app lock to stop this hapenning

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

That feel when the phone janitors you

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - Phones janitor you

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Spuckuk posted:

You can use autostart and/or app lock to stop this hapenning

Except for the part where you can't, so they literally couldn't give a battery score?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - Phones janitor you

In 2018 - Android Janitors You!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Does a phone connected to another phone's WiFi hotspot know that it's using mobile data (and limit itself accordingly), or does it just act as though it's on any old wifi network? I've always assumed the latter, but is it possible to do the former?

E.g.
I have two phones. One is on a limited data plan. The other is not on a data plan. On both I have many items set to work only on wifi (downloading music, uploading photos, autoloading images on forums, etc).

If I set up a wifi hotspot on the data phone and connect the no-data phone, I assume the no-data phone just treats it like any old wifi network (i.e. it'll start downloading music, uploading photos, etc). Is there any way for it to treat wifi hotspots as mobile data? Or is Android already smart enough to do that?

Phones are Pixel 1 and Pixel 3, stock Android.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

incogneato posted:

Does a phone connected to another phone's WiFi hotspot know that it's using mobile data (and limit itself accordingly), or does it just act as though it's on any old wifi network? I've always assumed the latter, but is it possible to do the former?

E.g.
I have two phones. One is on a limited data plan. The other is not on a data plan. On both I have many items set to work only on wifi (downloading music, uploading photos, autoloading images on forums, etc).

If I set up a wifi hotspot on the data phone and connect the no-data phone, I assume the no-data phone just treats it like any old wifi network (i.e. it'll start downloading music, uploading photos, etc). Is there any way for it to treat wifi hotspots as mobile data? Or is Android already smart enough to do that?

Phones are Pixel 1 and Pixel 3, stock Android.

If you go to the settings for the wifi network, you can set it to metered. I don't know for sure, but I would assume it would use the wifi only for essential things.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Cojawfee posted:

If you go to the settings for the wifi network, you can set it to metered. I don't know for sure, but I would assume it would use the wifi only for essential things.

My hope was to not have to switch on and off things like that between my home (ie unlimited) wifi network versus a hotspot.

Some quick testing actually shows that maybe Android is smart enough to know the difference while on a mobile data hotspot. Photos are "waiting for wifi" and radio stations aren't auto downloading like they do on "real" wifi. On the other hand the Awful app is loading photos, which is set to only do on wifi. Maybe it's some system level thing that only some apps recognize?

Edit: and apps with available updates are waiting to update. So it looks like at least Google's own ecosystem is smart enough to recognize it's using mobile data through the hotspot. Not sure how to make all apps (like the Awful app) recognize the same.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 20, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

incogneato posted:

My hope was to not have to switch on and off things like that between my home (ie unlimited) wifi network versus a hotspot.

Some quick testing actually shows that maybe Android is smart enough to know the difference while on a mobile data hotspot. Photos are "waiting for wifi" and radio stations aren't auto downloading like they do on "real" wifi. On the other hand the Awful app is loading photos, which is set to only do on wifi. Maybe it's some system level thing that only some apps recognize?

Edit: and apps with available updates are waiting to update. So it looks like at least Google's own ecosystem is smart enough to recognize it's using mobile data through the hotspot. Not sure how to make all apps (like the Awful app) recognize the same.

It's per wifi network. So the network you connect to for your hotspot can be metered and your home wifi is not metered.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Cojawfee posted:

It's per wifi network. So the network you connect to for your hotspot can be metered and your home wifi is not metered.

Oh cool, I didn't realize that. And now that I check, it's set to "detect automatically" which I assume is why I see it treating me as on mobile for most uses.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

incogneato posted:

I have the same behavior on my phone and would definitely be interested if anyone knows if the phone 'knows'.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

From my experience the phone will recognize the network as metered, but only apps that know the difference between normal wifi and metered wifi will restrict data usage.
Google's own stuff seems to know the difference, but my podcast app thought "Yay wifi! Time to start downloading 300 MB!" So, tread with caution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I really want to see how well this night sight mode does with a clear starlit sky.

I went out to the Merritt Reservoir a while back and couldn't get the alignment right on my equatorial drive so all the stuff on my DSLR looked like this:

It didn't help that I couldn't get enough weight on the tripod to counteract the wind.