Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
That was around the time I decided it was a good idea to buy a Voodoo 5500 having been out of the PC gaming world since 1998 and still thinking 3dfx were still hot poo poo and not bankrupt and unable to work on XP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I had a gf4mx and I did good counter strikes on it

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I bought one because I needed a cheap replacement for a Kyro 2. Which was a good card for a bit but it didn't have hardware T&L and the drivers were garbage so unpopular or very new games didn't work well or at all.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

incels interlinked posted:

I don't get the hate for the RTX, yeah they are expensive but still pretty good improvements over the prior gen even if the new features don't pan out. It's far from another 5800 Ultra/GTX 480 situation. The prices for GPUs have been hosed for a while

The 2080 delivers almost identical performance to the 1080 Ti, at a higher price currently than 1080 ti msrp, with less vram.
Not exactly something to get excited about.

Edit: I never had a geforce 4 mx. I did have a geforce2 ultra though :D

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 19, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I got mine because it was cheap, I was in high school working as a cashier :shrug:

proud of that pc though. i had it way longer than i ever should have

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

The 2080 delivers almost identical performance to the 1080 Ti, at a higher price currently than 1080 ti msrp, with less vram.

I bought a Gigabyte 2080 for $749, the cheapest new 1080ti right now is about $1,000 from what I could find.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

orcane posted:

...the Geforce 4 MX 440 was at least a very capable budget card.
Especially the one I got - for about AUD$50 I bought this unbranded no-name generic card, and it kinda made me worry when I first booted my PC with it and saw that it called itself a "gefroce mx 440" in the bios bootup screen.

Much to my surprise I found that it benchmarked well, and actually significantly better than most review sites claimed the geforce 4 mx should - it wasn't until I built a PC for a mate with a leadtek version of the card (which I found had 70% of the performance of my "gefroce") that I discovered that my card had faster memory than it was supposed to.

I'm not 100% on details but I recall the memory was SDR, not DDR like the leadtek, but it was double the bus width and its default clocks had it run much faster (and performance wise, memory was the big bottleneck for the geforce 4 mx). I was also able to overclock the memory 40% faster again, and possibly could have gone higher (because I never saw artifacts) but I got worried because a couple of the non-memory non gpu bits of the card (could have been VRMs in retrospect) started getting quite hot.

Cards like that are probably why nvidia started the whole "green light program".

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

You’re wrong about the prices.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

afkmacro posted:

1080 ti MSRP is/was $699 and after market coolers could be found for + or - $50 even shortly after release, March of last year. How are they wrong about the prices?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

afkmacro posted:

Wrong how? By now, GTX 1080 Ti prices are above MSRP because the card is obviously out of production, but FE launch MSRP was $699. The RTX 2080 FE is sold for $799, MSRP for basic third party designs is $699. Outside of special offers and rebates, third party RTX 2080 cards are anywhere between 750 and 900 bucks, though.

E: oops waited too long to submit the post :v:

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I had been waiting till this generation to upgrade, but it's such a disappointing poo poo show now I feel like I need to put off for the next one. Problem is I have a 1440p ultrawide with a 970. It works still, for the most part, just with increasing compromises.

Please tell me it's a good idea to wait till next gen instead of going for a 2070 in the near term

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Grab a 1070/1070 ti instead. Its a nice upgrade in a big way and the 1070 ti will go along way for another gen.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I had been waiting till this generation to upgrade, but it's such a disappointing poo poo show now I feel like I need to put off for the next one. Problem is I have a 1440p ultrawide with a 970. It works still, for the most part, just with increasing compromises.

Please tell me it's a good idea to wait till next gen instead of going for a 2070 in the near term

I was in the same situation. I bought a 1080 used, though mostly for the huge jump in compute. While the 970 aged with remarkable grace, in what few games I play, the 1080 provides a much smoother 2k experience at higher graphics settings. It offers perhaps 70-100% more performance in games and in compute it is night and day. For reference, the 1070Ti is basically the same performance in games as the 1080.

There are sales and mail in rebates for a few 1070/1070Ti models and, as they were popular with miners, still a lot of used stock on Ebay. I think the 1070Ti is way better value for games than the 1080 and 1070. In the event you are interested in using Gpu compute for ML and/or "deep learning", the 1080s extra memory bandwidth is nice to have.

Can you hold out? Sure, the 970 is great, almost on par with the 1060. That said, take a look on Ebay and Newegg for black Friday sales. A used 1080 or a new 1070Ti is around $350 right now, the latter after rebate; 1070s new are only slightly less expensive. if that fits your budget, you can always resell it in a year or so when something more exciting comes along.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This gen was when I was finally going to upgrade from a 7970 and 1080p. I can't decide whether to wait it out or to get something now from last gen. And if last gen, should it be the 1070 Ti or 1080 Ti? Would the 1080 Ti keep me at 1440p ultrawide for a few years until there's hopefully some competition in this space again?

It's not clear there's a point to waiting it out if there's no competition next year either, which seems to be the case. So why not pick up a good 1440p ultrawide card right now and wait a few years, right?

Even if you buy into the ray-traced, upscaled future it's not obvious that a 2080 will be a more future-proof 1080 Ti in that it may well remain the under-powered/early stab early entry in technologies that eventually figure out how to succeed.

I bought the 7970 simply because it had more everything than the more expensive at the time 660 and even the 670 and it paid off as AMD got their driver act together over the next few years. Looks to me like the 1070/1080 Ti release was the equivalent great buy point of the last few years.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yall with Freesync panels waiting on something to drive them, Newegg's pre Black Friday sale has a reference Vega 64 (with Division 2, Resident Evil 2, and Devil May Cry 5) for $399.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202326

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

And you can sell the RE2 code to me to offset the cost even more!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

codo27 posted:

And you can sell the RE2 code to me to offset the cost even more!

Unfortunately, it sounds like they'll work like NVidia keys and you'll need to have a Vega 64 installed on your system (maybe just a Vega would do?) - though maybe it will produce transferable steam keys for RE2. Maybe there's some software that can trick your system into thinking there's a Vega installed?

Zero VGS posted:

From Microcenter.com:

To Redeem your Game Key from AMD Rewards Promotional Portal please follow the steps below:

Purchase product and receive AMD coupon code
Ensure your new card is installed in your system. This is required to pass product verification
Enter coupon code. Code will automate Product Verification Tool (PVT)
Follow the steps on screen to claim your games
Log-in to Uplay through AMD Rewards portal to receive Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 game in your Uplay library
Steam redemption required for Devil May Cry 5 and Resident Evil 2

So bad news is you need to put the card in, good news is that you may possibly receive Steam Codes for DMC5 and RE2 that you can then sell... though they might just give you a link that directly redeems the Steam games, in which case you could try redeeming them to new Steam accounts and selling the accounts.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

v1ld posted:

This gen was when I was finally going to upgrade from a 7970 and 1080p. I can't decide whether to wait it out or to get something now from last gen. And if last gen, should it be the 1070 Ti or 1080 Ti? Would the 1080 Ti keep me at 1440p ultrawide for a few years until there's hopefully some competition in this space again?

It's not clear there's a point to waiting it out if there's no competition next year either, which seems to be the case. So why not pick up a good 1440p ultrawide card right now and wait a few years, right?

Even if you buy into the ray-traced, upscaled future it's not obvious that a 2080 will be a more future-proof 1080 Ti in that it may well remain the under-powered/early stab early entry in technologies that eventually figure out how to succeed.

I bought the 7970 simply because it had more everything than the more expensive at the time 660 and even the 670 and it paid off as AMD got their driver act together over the next few years. Looks to me like the 1070/1080 Ti release was the equivalent great buy point of the last few years.

A 1080 ti would be worth it if you can get one for $500 or less in my opinion. 1070 ti is great you can get used ones for less than $300. Either way they are still great cards and besides ray tracing are basically equivalents to the next gen anywho.

Many could argue well the drivers for next gen will optimize and mature but its not going to be that big a different down the line. How much difference js there between a 980 ti and 1070 when the 1070 launched (it was like what 5-10% faster than 980 ti back in 2016?) and present day (I think the margin js the same).

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 19, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The other good deals im seeing in the Newegg thing are a 1070 Ti for $349 (with Monster Hunter World code)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500431

And for the 1080p inclined, a 580 8gig for $189 (with 2 free games):

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131720

Other price news: 1060 6gigs are down to $199... which is where they were two years ago, ha. Threefan 2080's are back to their $750 price point, too.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
yeah I have massive remorse about not getting a 1070 when it was new and instead sticking with a 770 for 2 extra years. who would have guessed that things would have moved so little.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

2080 cards seem to be the biggest troublemakers. The 2070 is the logical step up from the 1070ti given the prices right now, the problem is everything happening above it.

If your monitor is Freesync, Vega 56 is finally at reasonable prices.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't actually think going from a 1070 Ti (slightly slower 1080) to a 2070 (slightly faster 1080) is a worthwhile upgrade.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Green Gloves posted:

A 1080 ti would be worth it if you can get one for $500 or less in my opinion. 1070 ti is great you can get used ones for less than $300. Either way they are still great cards and besides ray tracing are basically equivalents to the next gen anywho.

Have 1080 Ti's dropped that low? I know 1080's are sub-500 now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

v1ld posted:

You have to find a very good offer for a used one to get a 1080 Ti for 500 or less I think.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

v1ld posted:

Only used. For a while last summer they were going for ~$450 but now that stock is drying up and the 20 series is disappointingly priced, they're mostly back up to ~$600. New 1080 Tis actually touched $600 before stock dried up, too.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Yeah the used market dried up a ton in the last few months, after the RTX launch, since nobody wanted to gently caress with that.

Also GN covers RTX visuals, aaaaand these are certainly early days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaUP4LucmZM

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
My bad I havent been keeping up with the prices for the past few weeks. God drat the discontinuation is having a huge impact.

Yeah just get a 1070 ti its just like the perfect price point for a mid range card which will be good for 2-3 years.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The 1080Ti is still around where it's been for the last six months here. Problem is though that the price went up with the buttcoin mining boom and then never really went all the way back down, so the 2080 launched at only slightly more expensive, and there have now been a few instances of sales that has occasionally brought down certain 2080's below the level of the cheapest 1080Ti.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So maybe buy a 1080 Ti equivalent by waiting on a good sale on the 2080 rather than the other way around? :D

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They’re basically same exact card except one of them has UNICORN MAGIC written in crayon on the back.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I already have a 1080 and have a hard time justifying an upgrade at the moment. It does fine at 4k 60Hz in the games I currently play at modest settings (I don't really do shooters, but Xcom 2 and World of Warships both look great at 4k). I'm tempted to pick up a used 1080Ti though and put an AIO on it, but that's more for the fun of modding than for a practical upgrade. It's a bit too expensive to do just for fun though, so unless a really spectacular deal shows up I think I'll sit on my rear end and not buy poo poo until there's a reasonable 4k 144Hz monitor available and I've somehow managed to convince myself that it's totally reasonable to spend 1200€ on it. By that time there might be something more interesting on the horizon anyway.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

For that price I'd be tempted to just get a used card from the US. Even with VAT and shipping it seems like you'd come out ahead.

VVV That makes sense! VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 19, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Stickman posted:

For that price I'd be tempted to just get a used card from the US. Even with VAT and shipping it seems like you'd come out ahead.

No I mean the monitor would be 1200€, not the card. It's likely it'll actually be more expensive than that (I think Acer claimed $1299 MSRP for the upcoming XB273K) but welp we'll see. The cheapest 2080 is currently the equivalent of just under $900 in local currency (including 25% VAT and shipping).

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

craig588 posted:

The 4200 overclocked almost identically to the 4600 and the MX was a Geforce 2. The 4200 was the really good buy from that generation.

Yup I had a 128MB ti4400, was actually a pretty decent card with a little copper aftermarket fan/heatsink & some RAM heatsinks. Got it clocked past 4600 speeds & it was pretty badass for the time, ended up giving it to my dad (like many of my old cards) after upgrading, think I went to like a 6800GT.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

They’re basically same exact card except one of them has UNICORN MAGIC written in crayon on the back.
And the other has 3GB more VRAM :woop:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Did buttcoin mining ruin GPU prices forever by demonstrating that people will pay ridiculous sums for this poo poo?

At least mining difficulty has increased to the point where GPU mining will never be cost-effective again (at least for bitcoins) :/

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I mean kinda but I dont believe it had a significant impact on 2000 series pricing.That's probably more or less because they can due to a complete lack of competition. And to be fair, I'm pretty sure they dumped a lot of money into R&D for this gen. But mostly because they can, I dont doubt if AMD was competitive across the board the prices would be more "normal"

Mining definitely impacted 1000 series cards permanently until they were discontinued and then once they were the prices never dropped because RTX pricing was so high there was no reason to, the normalized performance pricing was already lower than it should have been

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

v1ld posted:

I went 7970 to 1070 to 2080 on a 34" 1440P at 95hz, the 1070 is a good deal at that resolution and I never had problems with it on my main display although it wasn't great at 4K. If you want to buy new you can pretty much only get a 1070/1070 ti right now though as the 1080 and 1080ti are way over MSRP so the next practical step up is the 2XXX. Buying used obviously changes the math but I was willing to pay an extra $200 or so for a new 2080 over a used 1080ti

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They’re doing game codes again. They try never to do that during mining (I myself got the Quake Champions “all heroes forever” pack for $7 by working with a miner on eBay who bought a ton of RX580s.) The last Nvidia code before this MonHun promotion was Destiny 2, and during the holidays there was a a short “coming up for air” window between the Etherium rush of summer 2017 and the Bitcoin over-inflation of 2018.

People pay stupid prices for this stuff when it’s “this magic PlayStation prints money for you!” But this gen is just overblown cards that will likely depreciate hard on the used market, the way the 980(ti) crowd cried when they saw Pascal underselling their used prices on new cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wolfenstein 2 just got support for a less publicized Turing feature, adaptive shading.

It should improve performance but Wolf2 already runs great so :shrug: