Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Having very opinionated stances on the most basic food products is a symptom of being Extremely Online and tedious as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

Having very opinionated stances on the most basic food products is a symptom of being Extremely Online and tedious as hell.

do you just like

eat everything, with no opinion on any of it, or what

e: also food preferences are a constantly recurring topic of conversation amongst basically everyone I know irl how did you possibly get the idea that having opinions about food was an online thing

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

cheetah7071 posted:

do you just like

they only eat it at release to support the cooks and be part of the experience

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

cheetah7071 posted:

do you just like

1) Yes 2) It's all good 3) in the butt

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

do you just like

e: also food preferences are a constantly recurring topic of conversation amongst basically everyone I know irl how did you possibly get the idea that having opinions about food was an online thing

On the internet a preference where a person somewhat dislikes mayo often transforms into "Mayo is loving garbage and any food that includes it is a crime against humanity"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-76

oww

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oof

....so how bad of a gamer am I that I still wanna play Fallout 76 despite it being a poo poo game

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

*tugs collar*

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/PatrickWeekes/status/1064318450464567296

Dragon Age 4 update "whatever happens in the future"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is there an online Dragon Age card game yet?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Oof

....so how bad of a gamer am I that I still wanna play Fallout 76 despite it being a poo poo game

I feel the pull too. Bethesda has sort of made their career out of that whole “you know it’s mediocre and drink it up anyway” thing. In other forms of entertainment I don’t think it’s controversial at all to do that but gaming is a special place. Granted, the time and money commitment is way higher for this game than if you’re just going to see a comic book movie.

Still, Bethesda has really accomplished a feat here by making a game so half-assed that I can resist buying it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I don't otherwise have particularly strong feelings about 76 but the fact that it took this long to get a Metacritic score feels hilariously shady.

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009
So I've just reached chapter 4 of Ys 8, and it's a truly fantastic game so far. It's also my first Ys game - if what I love the most is the big interconnected map full of cool things to find and look at, with the metroid-lite traversal options (climbing vines, water walking, etc), and the persistent expansion of the home base with NPCs who all do different stuff for you - are the previous Ys games going to be to my taste?

Something about a solid action-rpg with a lot of effort put in to exploration really appeals to me.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Jibs Monteef posted:

So I've just reached chapter 4 of Ys 8, and it's a truly fantastic game so far. It's also my first Ys game - if what I love the most is the big interconnected map full of cool things to find and look at, with the metroid-lite traversal options (climbing vines, water walking, etc), and the persistent expansion of the home base with NPCs who all do different stuff for you - are the previous Ys games going to be to my taste?

Something about a solid action-rpg with a lot of effort put in to exploration really appeals to me.

If solid action RPGs with effort are your thing play the whole series. It’s a gem.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get why they didn't just delay 76.

Feels like its missing a bunch of basic stuff because it got rushed out.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I wonder what post launch support Bethesda has planned. That’ll make the difference between total failure and a The Division or Destiny 1 situation where a year later, after a lot of patching, it turned out the game was good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

What is it missing? From what I've seen it seems exactly what they advertised

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jibs Monteef posted:

Ys is very good but 8 is a different beast from most of the series. For one thing, 8 is the only one with base expansion.

If the interconnected map with unlockable shortcuts is what you like best you'll probably also like Memories of Celceta. It's the previous title and the most similar to 8.

The three most popular Ys games, Ark of Napishtim, Oath in Felghana, and Origin, are more about platforming. Ys I&II Chronicles is a remake of the very first two games; they're top-down ARPGs kind of like the original 8-bit Zelda. Some of the bosses are Extremely Hard. Ys Seven is the one where they introduced the party system, skill attacks, and crafting.

Xanadu Next is another Falcom ARPG that does the connected-map thing.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 19, 2018

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

C a s h G r a b

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Andrast posted:

What is it missing? From what I've seen it seems exactly what they advertised

a meta critic score

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Didn't Bethesda stop giving out review copies sometime in the last few years.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kanfy posted:

I don't otherwise have particularly strong feelings about 76 but the fact that it took this long to get a Metacritic score feels hilariously shady.

It's also a total of four ratings by sites you'll never have heard of :thunk:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Didn't Bethesda stop giving out review copies sometime in the last few years.

they give review copies to the only reviewers that matter: the fans

also they give them out on release day and you have to buy them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It's also a total of four ratings by sites you'll never have heard of :thunk:

THERE WAS NO COLLISION! NO COLLISION!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I only trust god is a geek.com

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

doingitwrong posted:

I wonder what post launch support Bethesda has planned. That’ll make the difference between total failure and a The Division or Destiny 1 situation where a year later, after a lot of patching, it turned out the game was good.

Given that the most polished part of the game is the micro-transaction interface, I can take a few guesses.

Its like if Destiny moved away from making decent story and raid content and decided to put non-cosmetics like armor or exotics in the Eververse store...wait...

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Someday I'll go to bed on time rather than stay up filling out a pokedex tracker to see how close I am to a living dex (not very.)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Speaking of food stuffs, we bought a sous vide cooker and it arrived about a week ago and I'm excited to get to use it some time once we get some proper bags for it. I know you don't need anything fancy for them but I'd rather get the reusable bags over vacuum food saver bags or disposable ziploc bags.

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Ys is very good but 8 is a different beast from most of the series. For one thing, 8 is the only one with base expansion.

If the interconnected map with unlockable shortcuts is what you like best you'll probably also like Memories of Celceta. It's the previous title and the most similar to 8.

The three most popular Ys games, Ark of Napishtim, Oath in Felghana, and Origin, are more about platforming. Ys I&II Chronicles is a remake of the very first two games; they're top-down ARPGs kind of like the original 8-bit Zelda. Some of the bosses are Extremely Hard. Ys Seven is the one where they introduced the party system, skill attacks, and crafting.

Xanadu Next is another Falcom ARPG that does the connected-map thing.

Celceta's next then, thanks! If it turns out I dig that as much as this, I'll probably poke around a bunch of the other Falcom games. Trails in the Sky has been installed for years and I've never touched it, for one. That's probably some kind of crime.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Jibs Monteef posted:

i just finished 8 and it's probably my goty, really good game and the lost world setting is a perfect fit for the series. a lot of of the stuff you're listing isn't really in the old Ys games though, 8 is a larger scope game, the old ones are more concise action games.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I am yikesing so far back out of the room I have crossed the pacific ocean.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

VideoGames posted:

I am yikesing so far back out of the room I have crossed the pacific ocean.

So which one is gonna be your next avatar

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

So which one is gonna be your next avatar

Ha! I have an absolute ton of unused Kirby avatars. There are so many wonderful/funny/horrifying pictures around and I have built up a store of them all.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

put all four of them in an animated gif

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

They needed to launch a holiday product but were up against rdr2 so they put all the budget into plastic helmets for the 200$ edition and washed their hands of it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tales of Woe posted:

i just finished 8 and it's probably my goty, really good game and the lost world setting is a perfect fit for the series. a lot of of the stuff you're listing isn't really in the old Ys games though, 8 is a larger scope game, the old ones are more concise action games.

Ys 8 is exactly like memories of celcetta but yeah you are right about it being a modern take on ys vs older games

I actually like MoC better than 8 but they are pretty close

May 8, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Ha! I have an absolute ton of unused Kirby avatars. There are so many wonderful/funny/horrifying pictures around and I have built up a store of them all.

The fabled VideoGames vault...it's real...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

that's just the main character of rugrats

• Locked thread