Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So question on this does Chechnya actually have a proper autonomy? I was under the impression they were wholly owned by Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I just hope Paradox finally gets some actual video games going with the IP now that they're taking a more direct hand.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Chechnya is autonomous insofar as it serves Russia's purposes, basically. It's not independent but it isn't under direct rule either - think of it as a complete client state.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Rand Brittain posted:

I presume you'd want somebody who can tell you what the text was like before Paradox White Wolf made changes other than by hearsay. Presumably there's more than one person who can do this but I'm not sure how many of them would be willing to tell you.

How about Stew, the Developer of the book, who quit working on White Wolf IP properties in protest. And is a Goon? @DigitalRaven

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
It's always important to keep in mind that Russia, that is to say the Russian government, I don't speak for all Russians as individuals here, has 0 problems whatsoever with LGBT pogroms/holocausts.

So Chechnya's autonomy doesn't really mean much on this issue, unfortunately.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I Am Just a Box posted:

It turns out writing in your product that a real-life semiautonomous state is run by vampires, its real-life head of state is an evil dracula, and its ongoing pogrom against the LGBT+ community is a media trick to distract the West from the real, vampire-centric problem?

Not the smartest move. Go figure.

jesus christ

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It's always important to keep in mind that Russia, that is to say the Russian government, I don't speak for all Russians as individuals here, has 0 problems whatsoever with LGBT pogroms
Pretty much.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Nessus posted:

Twitter isn't the world unless you're a Virtual Adept

Have you seen the outcome of elections in Europe at all?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

citybeatnik posted:

It's always loving wild to see contemporary/living actual folks show up in the horror story that is the WoD.

Makes me wonder how they handled folks like Mister Rogers and the like.

We covered this, he and Jim Henson died in penniless obscurity. PBS runs infomercials and Pentex propaganda 23/7. The last hour is devoted to Faces of Death.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Relevant Tangent posted:

We covered this, he and Jim Henson died in penniless obscurity. PBS runs infomercials and Pentex propaganda 23/7. The last hour is devoted to Faces of Death.

Well, in WoD the Barney analogue WAS a Wyrm-tained Mokole.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
So I'm running a Christmas themed C:tL one shot in a few weeks and I need some help with structure and some resources. The basic premise is that all the players are escapees from The Workshop who swear an oath every Thanksgiving to defend their town from Santa Claus. I'm going to make up a character for each Seeming and have my players choose from them. So far I've got:

Fairest: a living ornament or Nutcracker Prince type (probably Spring or Winter)
Wizened: a former toy elf turned union organizer (Summer)
Beast: flying reindeer, the high school track and field coach (Spring)
Elemental: a Jack Frost type, local independent artist (Winter)
Darkling: Keeper of the Naughty and Nice List, town government official (Autumn)
Ogre: kinda stuck on this one, maybe an abominable snowman type? (No Idea)

The basic structure of the game is two-part: the first half of the session will be the four weeks leading up to Christmas Eve. My idea was to have each player take one action each week to prepare. Maybe that means scouting the local Hedge to discover what Trods Santa's procession will use, maybe it means working to identify the at-risk kids who'll be targeted for abduction, maybe it means driving off or bribing hobgoblins and other weirdos to hinder, or at least not help, Santa. They might build contraptions and enchantments, shape the local Hedge to their advantage, or travel south to the city and beg favors from their Courts. All this would set them up for the second half of the session: actually going toe to toe with Santa and co. I'm undecided if Santa should be a full blown True Fae or a Huntsman, this is one of the things I need some pointers on. If anyone's run a big, climatic fight with a Keeper or Huntsman, how did you go about doing it? I want this to be tricky and require some lateral thinking and clever use of powers and Contracts, but not be a one-sided "guess wrong and you die" affair. I'm also not sure how to handle Beats/Experiences. This is a one-shot so leveling up is not really to be A Thing. My current thought was to collect them as normal but use them as a collective pool that can be spent on Christmas Eve for rerolls/bonus dice/refills on Glamor or Willpower, stuff like that.

As for specific resources what I really need right now is any resources on printable maps. I want to get a map for this town so I can print and laminate two of them, one for the players and one for me, to put down locations of trods, the regions of influence different players or NPCs have, where the important NPCs live, etc. I also need music. Give me all the creepiest versions of Christmas songs you got; if anyone has a distorted/weird/minor key version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" that would be so perfect. Beyond that, what are some general pointers for running CoD2E? Any things I should keep in mind, or pitfalls to avoid? This my first time running 2E and running C:tL period. Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPPCPqDINEk

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Terrible Opinions posted:

So question on this does Chechnya actually have a proper autonomy? I was under the impression they were wholly owned by Russia.

Putin basically made a deal with Ramzan Kadyrov where Putin would let Kadyrov run the country however he wanted and in exchange Kadyrov would tamp down on Islamist / Separatist terrorism. They've had a few moments of tension since (Kadyrov once said that he'd tell his police to shoot any FSB (basically the Russian FBI) agents they found in Cechnya but it's working out for both of them - Putin wants some threat of terrorism to justify his authoritarian politics and Kadyrov wants to show his people he's anti-Russian so they don't go like "wait we were fighting for independence and am now ruled by someone handpicked by the head of Russia."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

For the ogre you could do a snowman, or the changling that mines the coal, if you want to keep Krampus as another aspect/ rival fae

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Incidentally as someone who's been familiar with basic lore via video games and nerd osmosis but never played, has anyone in your life made an interesting /compelling Malkavian who isn't just self-harm or self-parody?

Yeah, a friend played one who was very spooky. Took the Supernatural Blood Insanity,where you don't know how many bloodpoints you have and sometimes spend them unconsciously. He also took out of Clan disciplines. So he was always in danger of Masquerade breaches, violations of Elysium, and generally disconcerting to talk to because sometimes for no apparent reason he was suddenly supernaturally X and if he really can't control himself what if he's Dementating you right now?!

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Doing a biweekly Vampire the Requiem game if people want to play some good vampire, and not about V5: We did the Holocaust. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874640

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Just another quarter to chew through, thank christ. One of the things I'm most looking forward to is combining all entries together in a simplified format to provide relative mortality rates, proportions of critters, and most pleasantly of all, national/state/locality supernatural:human ratios to finally answer that ancient question.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Soonmot posted:

For the ogre you could do a snowman, or the changling that mines the coal, if you want to keep Krampus as another aspect/ rival fae

I thought about that, but I feel like Krampus ought to be a Huntsman.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Slightly Lions posted:

I thought about that, but I feel like Krampus ought to be a Huntsman.

If the Krampus is a Huntsman then Santa is definitely the True Fae who employs him.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Joe Slowboat posted:

If the Krampus is a Huntsman then Santa is definitely the True Fae who employs him.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. This might end up being a climactic fight against the Krampus Huntsman and next year I'll do Santa? I'm still working it out.

I started making characters and the Elemental is kind of a mess. He's supposed to a Jack Frost artist type of the Winter Court, but the Sword as favored Regalia wants to push the whole Seeming in a more flashy, combat-based direction. I may have to scrap and rewrite him.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Slightly Lions posted:

I started making characters and the Elemental is kind of a mess. He's supposed to a Jack Frost artist type of the Winter Court, but the Sword as favored Regalia wants to push the whole Seeming in a more flashy, combat-based direction. I may have to scrap and rewrite him.

Wasn't there a movie about this

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Welp, looks like there's a Chronicles of Darkness style guide for Storytellers Vault. Currently it applies to and allows only the core/blue books and big three, both editions.

It's riddled with mostly minor but pervasive formatting errors! :thumbsup:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Rand Brittain posted:

As far as I know Mark Rein-Hagen's contributions to the WoD were extremely minor after the first book or two. He's the Largo of the World of Darkness.

(I'm not sure who is Piro in this situation.)

Three uncredited interns in a hot topic trenchcoat. Anne Rice making out with a stack of 1987 Worldbook Encyclopedias. Eighteen Odd Stone of Bats. I'm frankly disappointed with myself that I get your reference, and also how much of an influence that webcomic was on my decision to teach English abroad.
(You made me curious to see if it was even still running, it is, and the blog is about Piro complaining that he hasn't been making enough comics. Glad to see some lodestars remain fixed.)

Also, thanks again to everyone who took time to comment on the short fiction I posted a while back, I've been putting your advice to slow use and once I have a new draft ready I'll share it to show how much y'all helped me improve.
Since it sounds like the company is in a bit of a shakeup, if any of you know folk looking for freelancers or fresh editorial help, I've worked on a few amateur publications before and can get my revisions in on time, all while not making light of any ongoing international human rights crises.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Three uncredited interns in a hot topic trenchcoat. Anne Rice making out with a stack of 1987 Worldbook Encyclopedias. Eighteen Odd Stone of Bats. I'm frankly disappointed with myself that I get your reference, and also how much of an influence that webcomic was on my decision to teach English abroad.
(You made me curious to see if it was even still running, it is, and the blog is about Piro complaining that he hasn't been making enough comics. Glad to see some lodestars remain fixed.)

Also, thanks again to everyone who took time to comment on the short fiction I posted a while back, I've been putting your advice to slow use and once I have a new draft ready I'll share it to show how much y'all helped me improve.
Since it sounds like the company is in a bit of a shakeup, if any of you know folk looking for freelancers or fresh editorial help, I've worked on a few amateur publications before and can get my revisions in on time, all while not making light of any ongoing international human rights crises.

I don't remember if it was mentioned last time or how worthwhile the place is, but RPGnet has a freelancing subforum you might could post in.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.
Well, the press conference is over.
TL/DR:
1. The Chechen side is still thirsting for blood :drac: (including litigation against Paradox and specifically those authors who were personally responsible).
2. The Russian guys in charge of localizing V20 are more or less pardoned (of stuff they had nothing to do with in the first place) provided they
a) assist to the best of their abilities in finding the culprits, and
b) possibly do a book of their own painting Chechnya in the best light or arrange for the perpetrating company to do such book (by way of apology).

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Incredible. Give control of a minor roleplaying game to a Swede and somehow he starts an international incident that might get Mark Rein-Hagen's head blown off.

...no wonder MRH was saying how proud he was of Black Dog Games Factory, this basically is the parody version of Black Dog from the books now.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

It's honestly astonishing that paradox, a company that regularly puts out historical games where existing nations battle it out, has finally created an international incident and it's via their vampire rpg side- property.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I love the Kahunas on the Chechen side, wanting to litigate over the Vampire bit whilst the actual LGBT persecution bit they're actually really doing is right there. Like, the sheer audacity is Post-Truth politics at it's finest.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Shockeh posted:

I love the Kahunas on the Chechen side, wanting to litigate over the Vampire bit whilst the actual LGBT persecution bit they're actually really doing is right there. Like, the sheer audacity is Post-Truth politics at it's finest.

"You want to keep on living my Chechnyan friend? You had better write a book about how awesome we are with absolutely no mention of gays. In fact there are no gays here, understand."

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Shockeh posted:

What are you even talking about, there’s been an official statement about no such people existing in Chechnya (and if there were, their own families would deal with them).

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

According to Wraith's Pardoners and Puppeteers Guildbook, Henson - or rather a Henson expy - ended up as a member of the Puppeteers' Guild.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wraiths don't really count for the 'everyone is a supernatural' thing.

Everyone dies.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

Wraiths don't really count for the 'everyone is a supernatural' thing.

Everyone dies.

Eh, was more pointing out where he was in the WOD rather than adding him to the 'everyone's a super' list.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, Henson and Rogers struggling to do good work in the World of Darkness is a more interesting story than some evil parody.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, Henson and Rogers struggling to do good work in the World of Darkness is a more interesting story than some evil parody.

Looking at Puppeteers, WoD's Henson was kept close to his RL version, a man who wanted to make kids happy with his puppets, and ended up being wildly successful beyond anything he imagined, reaching kids and adults all over the world. No 'secret vehicle for corruption' or anything like that brought in. What he's trying to do post-mortem is make sure his company keeps on track, doesn't get too corporatised (keep in mind this was a 1997 book).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My idea for a new VTM setting: Reboot the true black hand as an organization formed by Caine and his thirteen incarnations which include original Caine, young Caine (time travel), Naicex, half the antidiluvians but their names are scrambled and have an x on them, ABEL the seeker of darkness and Labex

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Plutonis posted:

My idea for a new VTM setting: Reboot the true black hand as an organization formed by Caine and his thirteen incarnations which include original Caine, young Caine (time travel), Naicex, half the antidiluvians but their names are scrambled and have an x on them, ABEL the seeker of darkness and Labex

I'm in if we can make the book names increasingly nonsensical

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Plutonis posted:

You forgot Kain of Nosgoth
(In as many of his incarnations as possible, of course)

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone have a link to that press conference? Google is mostly bringing up other sites reporting on the initial Paradox post from a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Does anyone have a link to that press conference? Google is mostly bringing up other sites reporting on the initial Paradox post from a few days ago.
In Russian – sure; no idea if it’s available in English anywhere yet. Probably not.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ol4VE9ythT4
(edited for proper link)

Foglet fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 19, 2018