Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah the movie gauntlet requires fist clenching to use instead of just thought, possibly to make the fights seem like the heroes have even a sliver of a chance of winning. It also seemed to explode after the snap, which is not something that even caused the comic book gauntlet to break a sweat.

The most amusing thing about Infinity War is that after 10 years of seeing Thanos plot to get infinity stones, he hadn't even gotten 2 at the start of the film, and then he just got them all in like half a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thanos punches hulk several times so I don't think making the fist was an issue but tbh I'd have to watch it again to see if the gem lights up or not cuz I can't remember

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sentinel Red posted:

Eillot wasn’t in it, he was in the Ang Lee one.

whoops, my bad.

Oh well. William Hurt did OK too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll go to bat for Incredible Hulk.

I've seen it a few times and honestly can't come up with too many negatives. It did a nice job of sort of extending the themes of the TV show, I liked the effects and I thought all of the performances were fine. Norton, Elliot and Roth were great, as usual, and the film explored some interesting subplots that, unfortunately, were never followed up on in the MCU.

It's no masterpiece but I really don't get everyone's problem with it. I'd rank it above Thor 1 and 2, Iron Man 2 and 3, AoU and put it on a par with things like Ant Man and Avengers. It's a solid film.

Incredible Hulk is 2/3 of a really solid movie. The last 1/3 just drags it down a lot.

The Favella, college fight scene, Blonsky, and Norton are all great and still hold up.

The opening credits scene to give the origin story is very smart as well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah the movie gauntlet requires fist clenching to use instead of just thought, possibly to make the fights seem like the heroes have even a sliver of a chance of winning.

The Russos have said in interviews that they came up with that mostly just to add some variety to the fights so it isn't just Thanos calmly walking down hallways blowing everything up and no one being able to meaningfully fight him.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just loaded up iw real quick and I didn't see the power stone light up at all but a lot of the punches getting thrown were too fast to get a good look. I think that was all Thanos

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

The most amusing thing about Infinity War is that after 10 years of seeing Thanos plot to get infinity stones, he hadn't even gotten 2 at the start of the film, and then he just got them all in like half a day.

Presumably it’s because only now can he openly wreck poo poo without getting his face stomped by Odin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Just loaded up iw real quick and I didn't see the power stone light up at all but a lot of the punches getting thrown were too fast to get a good look. I think that was all Thanos

Thanos has shrugged off combined attacks by Thor and the Thing in the comics so that makes sense.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

On the commentary the Russos said Thanos did not use the stones to beat Hulk, the writers confirmed the same in an interview.

Also the reason for Thanos doing it now instead of five or ten years ago was because his plan depended mostly on the soul stone and he had no idea where that was.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 18, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

X-O posted:

On the commentary the Russos said Thanos did not use the stones to beat Hulk, the writers confirmed the same in an interview.

Also the reason for Thanos doing it now instead of five or ten years ago was because his plan depended mostly on the soul stone and he had no idea where that was.

Wouldn't this apply to the Aether/Reality stone too? It was hidden for like thousands of years until Thor 2 allegedly happened.

Besides, I like the idea that Odin and/or the Ancient One could have been a problem for Thanos to the point that he didn't want to risk making a move against them. When they both died AND he found out where the Soul and Reality stones were, he couldn't pass up the perfect opportunity to strike.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Away all Goats posted:

Wouldn't this apply to the Aether/Reality stone too? It was hidden for like thousands of years until Thor 2 allegedly happened.

Besides, I like the idea that Odin and/or the Ancient One could have been a problem for Thanos to the point that he didn't want to risk making a move against them. When they both died AND he found out where the Soul and Reality stones were, he couldn't pass up the perfect opportunity to strike.
Odin was probably a major threat to him and it does seem interesting that he launches his operation almost as soon as he dies. I feel like that was a missed opportunity for the beginning part of IW.

I’m also reminded that Loki hosed everyone over because he saved the Cosmic Cube from Asgard.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lunatic Sledge posted:

no squeeze the hand, no use the stone

I think there was explicit fist-closing glowy effects in every stone activation

If he's got his fist closed the whole time to punch though?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Was it ever made clear is Thanos knew he had the Mind Stone in a scepter for who knows how long? It's kinda interesting in a funny way how the stone traveled around from the first Avengers to the last, starting and ending with Thanos.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
But why male models

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I actually also like the idea that Thanos was waiting on some cosmic people (could probably add Ego) to die off before putting his plan into motion. Ultimately though, his was always clear that his plan was to set up everything and then act. Why spent years gathering and having to defend the stones when you can just make a day of it?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Chickenwalker posted:

But why male models

Are you...are you serious? I just told you!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jamesman posted:

Was it ever made clear is Thanos knew he had the Mind Stone in a scepter for who knows how long? It's kinda interesting in a funny way how the stone traveled around from the first Avengers to the last, starting and ending with Thanos.

Yeah, they explicitly say in the Avengers that Thanos gave Loki the scepter because he knew it was the same material as the tesseract and would let Loki safely manipulate the space stone.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Finally saw IW and yes, it was surprisingly enjoyable. Splitting everyone into weird little team-ups, the Hulk’s performance anxiety, the gross body horror of the Nebula scene, Strange owning every scene, and Brolin doing a grand job with the purple chap. And yes, the ending was hilarious.

I bet if Hawkguy had been there, he’d have saved the day/universe, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sentinel Red posted:

Finally saw IW and yes, it was surprisingly enjoyable. Splitting everyone into weird little team-ups, the Hulk’s performance anxiety, the gross body horror of the Nebula scene, Strange owning every scene, and Brolin doing a grand job with the purple chap. And yes, the ending was hilarious.

I bet if Hawkguy had been there, he’d have saved the day/universe, though.

I loved the way that the split-ups all had bits that were comic-book issue sized. The way it was paced was the first time one of these movies really felt like a gigantic comic book crossover.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
The fight scene with Thanos and Hulk is so good. He just unloads on him. He moves so crisply as well, bobbing and jabbing likes he's loving Apollo Creed.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

SonicRulez posted:

I actually also like the idea that Thanos was waiting on some cosmic people (could probably add Ego) to die off before putting his plan into motion. Ultimately though, his was always clear that his plan was to set up everything and then act. Why spent years gathering and having to defend the stones when you can just make a day of it?

Definitely, and he has to find a new mindless army after the chitari get unexpectedly nuked.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Definitely, and he has to find a new mindless army after the chitari get unexpectedly nuked.

Weren’t there still Chitauri hanging around in the background?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Weren’t there still Chitauri hanging around in the background?

They show up in the flashback when Gamora's world fell to Thanos, thought that was cool little detail. I think they're also manning Thanos's ship still and Nebula kills one during her escape.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CityMidnightJunky posted:

The fight scene with Thanos and Hulk is so good. He just unloads on him. He moves so crisply as well, bobbing and jabbing likes he's loving Apollo Creed.

Yeah, you get the impression that it's not that Thanos is so much stronger than Hulk, he's just a much better fighter. Hulk fights like a drunken teenager, Thanos is a warrior.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, you get the impression that it's not that Thanos is so much stronger than Hulk, he's just a much better fighter. Hulk fights like a drunken teenager, Thanos is a warrior.

Which may make IW2 interesting. Concept art has Hulk in armor, and Thanos with some kind of halberd looking thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's been so many fake "production art" pictures floating around, I never believe those things until they actually start showing the film. Either that or its just stuff that was come up with and not used. Often artists that didn't have work used will post it as part of their portfolio.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm ready for the training montage of Cap showing Hulk how to fight.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Away all Goats posted:

I'm ready for the training montage of Cap showing Hulk how to fight.

That's why they haven't revealed the title for the new film yet.

It's going to be Avengers IV.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That would be Avengers III.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The team-up movie with grizzled Cap teaching The Hulk how to fight is Banner

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope the training montage is set to mulans I'll make a man out of you

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

When Thanos put's on the Gauntlet, whatever he hits he destroys.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

There's been so many fake "production art" pictures floating around, I never believe those things until they actually start showing the film. Either that or its just stuff that was come up with and not used. Often artists that didn't have work used will post it as part of their portfolio.

They made one of those Funko Pop figures of Hulk busting out of the Hulkbuster Iron Man suits. Like that was such a last minute change that they couldn't even cancel it in time or they would have been left with a lot of product ready to sell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There were a bunch of sequences in the trailers that were deliberately false to throw people off. Mainly that scene of everyone running in Wakanda and Hulk is there.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCf03KXyzIg

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
The Deadpool schtick in his movies is kinda old but I enjoyed that trailer tbh

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When Spider-Man Homecoming was released and Feige said the "8 Years Later" jump was wrong he said they'd eventually put out the real timeline for the movies. Here it is.

1943-1945: Captain America: The First Avenger
2010: Iron Man
2011: Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor
2012: The Avengers, Iron Man 3
2013: Thor: The Dark World
2014: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man: Homecoming
2016 through to 2017: Doctor Strange
2017: Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

X-O posted:

When Spider-Man Homecoming was released and Feige said the "8 Years Later" jump was wrong he said they'd eventually put out the real timeline for the movies. Here it is.

1943-1945: Captain America: The First Avenger
2010: Iron Man
2011: Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor
2012: The Avengers, Iron Man 3
2013: Thor: The Dark World
2014: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man: Homecoming
2016 through to 2017: Doctor Strange
2017: Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War

Huh, I would have thought they would stick with release year for stuff like Iron Man, considering that they mostly did that otherwise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Still really think they should've had Strange training for years, not weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
New trailer for Aquaman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-6CSVkAQZw

This looks so bad, but on such a grand scale. Do you remember that Twitch streamer who lit a match, burned himself, put the match in a trash bag, the trash bag caught on fire so he put it in a cardboard box, and things just kept escalating and the more he tried to fix it, the worse the fire got until he burned his house down? That's what I think of when I see this trailer.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 19, 2018

• Locked thread