Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wark Say posted:

It's what I love about the series: The weirdo who goes on rants about language/metaphors to the point that he gets covered in sweat almost murks Giorno and Mista over GioGio going with a "Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time :shrug:" winging-it plot.

You forgot the part where the weirdo finishes up the rant by breaking his car AC and radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
not sure if in the last panel of the new jojolion chapter the guy is taking off his jacket to fight or simply to pose

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Why can't it be both? Hell, it's JoJo. I'm sure it is both.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

It's weird, because when I finally saw Sex Pistols in action in this episode, my initial thoughts also compared it to Hol Horse and the Emperor, but I was left with the impression that it's more of an upgrade to the concept than a downgrade.

"Invisible gun with infinite ammo and bullets that you can control mid-flight," sounds really good on paper... but even by his own admission Hol Horse's Stand is pretty drat weak. So weak that he takes pride in playing a supporting, #2 role to someone with an actually useful Stand. And it might just be that Hol Horse himself was poo poo at it, but for a guy who can control which way his bullets are going, he's remarkably bad at actually killing people with his Stand. He managed to hit Avdol in the head and still failed to actually kill him, and more to the point, he accidentally shot himself with his own drat Stand. And even if Mista's gun is "just a normal gun with normal bullets," Stand users are just as vulernable to normal bullets as anyone else (barring Stand shenanigans), and unlike the Emperor, if you need to use a gun to intimidate someone who doesn't have a Stand, they can actually see the gun you're waving in their face.

In conclusion, gun-based Stands are a land of contrasts, and the Emperor sucks compared to Sex Pistols.

Quoting this post from the anime thread because boy are they in for a surprise when Mista also proceeds to shoot himself every time he fires a bullet

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
half of mista's bullets end up in his own stomach but hell you should see the other guy

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Has anyone said Dr uwu tomoki yet?

Also I loving love Weaponized Geometry

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
When do they release the soundtracks? I know they release it in parts as the season goes along to nickel and dime fans more, but I really need the dance song they made.

Vocal percussion on a whole 'nother level, coming from my mind!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Behold, the new best/worst panel ever.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
this, ozone baby's user eating a lady out, and yasuho saying that mitsuba put the baby pieces back in her "stomach", lead me to believe that araki is a rock person who just got the random wikipedia page for human reproduction, spiraled off from there, and wanted to put it in jojo

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
I don't think Mista has ever successfully killed anyone in a stand battle using his gun, not even himself.

Edit: I just remembered that he killed Carne, the guy who got himself shot to death on purpose.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 19, 2018

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i believe he pushed ghiaccio into a spike by shooting his armor a lot, with a huge assist from giorno

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Behold, the new best/worst panel ever.

As bad as that was, at least it had a good followup.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

at least the event referred to was consensual, making that one of the most legitimately progressive manga panels i can recall

it's legitimately hard for me to recall other times when two characters doing any kind of sex was referred to outside of 'and then there was a child' in mainstream manga

(definitely still a huge fuckboy move though)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Horniness: The leading ailment of managaka

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm sorry but im rolling my eyes real hard at "I want to state clearly that the incorrect ones are you and Higashikata Josuke"

like I've never translated manga, but is "Let it be known that you and Josuke are wrong/in the wrong" really too flowery?

e: okay maybe this doctor just talks weird cause now he's holding his syllables like they'd run away from him, even more than a jojolion character does

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 19, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In the words of Red Dead Redemption 2

There's a good translation in you, HWMN, but he's wrestling with a giant.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There’s been a lot of lines like that in HWMN’s translations so far so I’m just assuming the awkward phrasing is on them. I appreciate what they do but they need a proofreader to go through their translations and make them sound more natural (well, as natural as Araki’s bizarre prose can be) or at least call out the translator when he/she is overly direct. I don’t think it’s too unreasonable for someone to point out how a native English speaker would phrase something or to suggest that some onomatopoeia be localized as sound effects (IE all the GEHO and GABOs during the Ozone Baby arc being translated as coughing or wheezing.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

It's hard to tell how full of poo poo ex-boyfriend man is considering what a creeplord he's being

Yasuho just has insanely bad luck with men huh(I mean Gappy himself is fine but he DID get her wrapped up in a massive pharmaceutical conspiracy)

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm sorry but im rolling my eyes real hard at "I want to state clearly that the incorrect ones are you and Higashikata Josuke"

like I've never translated manga, but is "Let it be known that you and Josuke are wrong/in the wrong" really too flowery?

e: okay maybe this doctor just talks weird cause now he's holding his syllables like they'd run away from him, even more than a jojolion character does

I think he's just a weirdo given his whole "any evil is okay as long as it serves a public good" spiel

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I really feel like HWMN or really just most translation groups need someone who has an English degree or like, at reads Books to understand how good prose sounds. It's become kind of fun to me try and rewrite some of the more wordy sentences in a more dramatic conversational tone.

I don't want to just dump on HWMN, like I said I'm sure this isnt the worst and I appreciate any JoJo at all, but when even name order isnt in the English order, I really wonder what we're doing here. There was another bit where all the doctors dialogue was written right to left. Not just his speech bubbles but the entire sentence and uhhhh

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 19, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah I really feel like HWMN or really just most translation groups need someone who has an English degree or like, at reads Books to understand how good prose sounds. It's become kind of fun to me try and rewrite some of the more wordy sentences in a more dramatically conversation tone.

I don't want to just dump on HWMN, like I said I'm sure this isnt the worst and I appreciate any JoJo at all, but when even name order isnt in the English order, I really wonder what we're doing here. There was another bit where all the doctors dialogue was written right to left. Not just his speech bubbles but the entire sentence and uhhhh

It's especially hard to tell with Jojo where everyone sounds completely loving insane out of context(and often in it), which is why the lovely part 5 translation went unchallenged for so long

Like I get annoyed at the exteeeeended wooooooords thing that pops up sometimes but apparently jojolion actually does that(Old Joseph in EoH also does this for some reason)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I will say that I dont often look at the type of Japanese JoJo is written in but yeah I'm sure it's also Bizarre. (I've heard that one of Polnareffs lines in Part 3 where hes relating his experience with DIO on the staircase is big JoJo joke in the Japanese fandom, just because he says something strangely in Japanese), but I totally think you can have a stronger translation, maybe even localization if you could get a translator and a proofreader chill enough and free enough to really tinker around

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Yinlock posted:

It's especially hard to tell with Jojo where everyone sounds completely loving insane out of context(and often in it), which is why the lovely part 5 translation went unchallenged for so long

Like I get annoyed at the exteeeeended wooooooords thing that pops up sometimes but apparently jojolion actually does that(Old Joseph in EoH also does this for some reason)

The long words have actually been in Jojo since Phantom Blood. HWMN is simply the first group to consider it worth preserving in their translations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

I will say that I dont often look at the type of Japanese JoJo is written in but yeah I'm sure it's also Bizarre. (I've heard that one of Polnareffs lines in Part 3 where hes relating his experience with DIO on the staircase is big JoJo joke in the Japanese fandom, just because he says something strangely in Japanese), but I totally think you can have a stronger translation, maybe even localization if you could get a translator and a proofreader chill enough and free enough to really tinker around

I can understand why people balk at localizing Jojo because a big part of it is the exact way the characters say things

it could still probably be touched up a bit though

Daxing Dan posted:

The long words have actually been in Jojo since Phantom Blood. HWMN is simply the first group to consider it worth preserving in their translations.

oh. i'd still rather it not be there though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Expect My Mom posted:

Also because

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Daxing Dan posted:

I don't think Mista has ever successfully killed anyone in a stand battle using his gun, not even himself.

Edit: I just remembered that he killed Carne, the guy who got himself shot to death on purpose.

what about sale aka mr two-bullets. and doppio

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Something people don't talk enough about - Mista totally killed Doppio

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mists saw the body of his friend and boss get his soul switched and did not hesitate to murder him anyway.

Mistas heart did not waver so he shot

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

yeah don't get it twisted, I love mista, he just gets owned a lot. but goddamn he's gonna try to see if he can end the fight instantly with hot lead every time

and then carne comes along and mista feels real good about himself for about ten minutes

it's pretty amazing when you think about it

"hah i immediately ended the threat"

"actually not only has the threat not ended but you have explicitly made it a threat until the end of time itself"

Expect My Mom posted:

Mists saw the body of his friend and boss get his soul switched and did not hesitate to murder him anyway.

Mistas heart did not waver so he shot

I think Mista's first response to any crisis is to shoot it

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Mista is the player who starts every single encounter with "I open fire" and the GM has to deal with his bullshit

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nina posted:

Mista is the player who starts every single encounter with "I open fire" and the GM has to deal with his bullshit

deep down the GM knows it's his fault for letting a player start with a revolver in the first place

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah I really feel like HWMN or really just most translation groups need someone who has an English degree or like, at reads Books to understand how good prose sounds. It's become kind of fun to me try and rewrite some of the more wordy sentences in a more dramatic conversational tone.

Really they need someone who reads anything other than amateur translations of manga.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Wark Say posted:

It's what I love about the series: The weirdo who goes on rants about language/metaphors to the point that he gets covered in sweat almost murks Giorno and Mista over GioGio going with a "Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time :shrug:" winging-it plot.

I never noticed Ghicaccio was talking to himself in this. For some reason I thought he said it after he busts through the back window of the car talking to Mista and Giorno

e: Or maybe he does, because I was thinking of the Venice/Venizia rant

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I like how he looks like he's having an existential crisis in the 3rd panel

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ghiaccio being this weird, neuotic lunatic until he's using his stand is so cool. Like, he knows how (almost) unstoppable White Album is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's just an amateur standup and he takes every chance he can get to work on his tight 5.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I can't tell if Yasuho's ex boyfriend is gonna be important or not because he looks a little ridiculous but not quite ridiculous enough to be important. I guess Araki could fancy up the outfit a bit more if he becomes a good or bad guy.

Also I hope Jojolion ends with Kars, the leader of the Rock Humans, being defeated by being smothered in money by the Milligro Man.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I can't tell if Yasuho's ex boyfriend is gonna be important or not because he looks a little ridiculous but not quite ridiculous enough to be important. I guess Araki could fancy up the outfit a bit more if he becomes a good or bad guy.

Also I hope Jojolion ends with Kars, the leader of the Rock Humans, being defeated by being smothered in money by the Milligro Man.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Benjamin Ore

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Really they need someone who reads anything other than amateur translations of manga.

For real

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

what if he'S THE VILLAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I reread that part of Part 5 where the guys go to the italian restaurant. drat, what a ridiculous, hilarious series this is.