Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Both of these flyers came with my power bill from Duke Energy today:

Shareholders made 912 million dollars, but you should give money to Duke so your poor neighbors, who can't afford their power bill for some reason, won't get their power shut off.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Inept posted:

Both of these flyers came with my power bill from Duke Energy today:

Shareholders made 912 million dollars, but you should give money to Duke so your poor neighbors, who can't afford their power bill for some reason, won't get their power shut off.
this is another area of policy in which you can thank obama for gutting LIHEAP!
https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2011/02/09/133629567/obama-to-propose-deep-cuts-in-home-heating-program
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/210647-obama-cuts-to-heating-assistance-budget-again-provoke-bipartisan-opposition
https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardgleckman/2014/03/05/senior-services-take-a-hit-in-obama-budget/

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

1918: Although the Great War has shown us the danger of mankind's invention, so too has it shown us the promise. With our machines the new potential of industry and agriculture is near limitless. For now, we have suffered. But this war was born of our greed, as all wars. Greed for land, greed for resources, for markets, and for old hatreds. But we have upon us the power to transcend these things. When machines can produce more clothing than we could ever need, when farms can produce more food than we could ever eat, when we can build up to the sky upon our land instead of forever spreading, are not these things obsolete? What need will there be to fight for that which all men have in abundance? What man will covet his neighbor's property when both have material wealth beyond our dreams? This may not come to pass in the span of our lives. But perhaps, within as little as one hundred years, the advance of technology which has so recently wrought such suffering upon us, may instead be our salvation. Perhaps then, all humanity can put aside war and conflict, and live together in the harmony of abundance.

2018: Curing sick people is not a sustainable business model.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

Years and years ago when inherited my grandpas Nazi war trophies that he literally took off dead or captured Nazis and I still felt uncomfortable enough with that stuff I donated it to a museum.

my first-generation chinese immigrant friend has a passed-down war trophy that one of his relatives took in the korean war that's US Navy silverware which when he showed it to me was kind of weird

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 05:25 on Nov 18, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bushiz posted:

fine manipulators that can grasp a wide range of different objects are far more expensive than an employee

picking up an arbitrarily-shaped object on the first try with only image and force feedback as guidance, and not dropping it, and moving it to another location and then setting it down in an arbitrary orientation, and doing this perfectly 99.9999% of the time (and being able to know when you have done it incorrectly), and also in a couple of seconds, is the holy grail of modern robotics

ranking the completely unsolved components of this problem in order of difficulty, they are probably
1. doing it correctly 99.9999% of the time
2. doing it on the first try
3. doing it in a couple seconds

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1063840497511399425

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

I love slogans that make less sense the more you think about them. I honestly can't tell if they're trying to say their bags are light or heavy.

If you're an aristocrat your heart is a black pit made of lead, so you need a very heavy bag

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

I love slogans that make less sense the more you think about them. I honestly can't tell if they're trying to say their bags are light or heavy.

I feel like they're marketing to people who are already keen about travelling and consider themselves free spirits, whereas a person who feels a lot of burdens and is less likely to travel will not want to buy their products.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I want to the version of the ad aimed at men.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I want to the version of the ad aimed at men.

someone posted it, might have been in here or the cyberpunk thread, and it's as you'd expect:

how to get your wife to have sex with you by showing her horny articles

e: https://twitter.com/aral/status/1017113204143640582

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I remember I watched the kids channel when I was unemployed and the boys ads were for collectable personified garbage while the girls were for collectable personified supermarket products.

Also the collectable toy babies wearing tons of makeup :barf:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

megalodong posted:

someone posted it, might have been in here or the cyberpunk thread, and it's as you'd expect:

I genuinely approve of this company

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

megalodong posted:

lol at the "Surprisingly enough: yes." if you admit it's surprisingly legal then maybe you should rethink some things
what's not surprising is that this service exists

there are lots of legal grey areas in technology because tech moves fast and bureaucracy moves slow, it's hard for laws to keep up
some tech companies operate on the premise that everything is legal until someone explicitly says otherwise
if they ever get called out on something they can just play dumb, claim the laws weren't specific, or that they made a mistake and it wasn't on purpose

eg: when google's steetview cars were collecting open wifi network data, I'm familiar with this case because I was working for one of the companies that got roped into the investigation
on top of taking pictures, their streetcars were collecting network names and addresses and associating them with GPS coordinates, this data was to be used to improve their location services
they claimed not to be collecting data, but an audit exposed supposedly errant code which was saving more data than they claimed
the public generally knew about streetview cars and how they take pictures, but they weren't aware those cars were probing networks and recording GPS coordinates

so, is it legal to drive around in a fleet of cars, constantly taking pictures, recording network data, GPS coordinates, and then processing that data into a product to sell?

quote:

Surprisingly enough: yes.
:goonsay:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That makes sense lol. I always wondered how the gently caress turning on Bluetooth and Wifi was supposed to improve location services when theoretically my phone already has a GPS.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Larry Parrish posted:

That makes sense lol. I always wondered how the gently caress turning on Bluetooth and Wifi was supposed to improve location services when theoretically my phone already has a GPS.

Me too. I figured it was triangulating with WiFi signals but never really thought about how those signals 'knew' where they were.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Now imagine what kind of dataset you could create if you had a fleet of automated taxis gathering all that telemetry instead of just a handful of streetview cars

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Wake me up when I can buy a map of where someone goes about their daily lives from google

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Fried Watermelon posted:

Wake me up when I can buy a map of where someone goes about their daily lives from google

https://metro.strava.com/
https://metro.strava.com/faq/

quote:

5. How much does it cost to license Strava Metro data for a city?
License fees vary based on the amount of Strava activity in the requested geographic area, the time span of data required and the level of granularity and features in the data set.

this is in the "we're gonna put a buncha digits on the price here" price range, not the "only 69.99, call now to get it down to 59.99!" price range, but if you have the dosh you can buy

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

quote:

A commodity appears, at first sight, a very trivial thing, and easily understood. Its analysis shows that it is, in reality, a very queer thing, abounding in metaphysical subtleties and theological niceties.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

look who doesn't want to sit in a bowl of pesto

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I am very curious about repellent herb

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
These dogs look moldy.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Not a picture but still amazes me how aggressively the mainstream news shills for retailers during the holiday season. Going into specific details on certain deals and dedicating segments for Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc and even bringing on PR people for these companies.

First time watching nightly news in awhile and never again.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1063507643329859584

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

This is good because even with a tech job I'm too poor to own a dog.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
didn't the weratedogs guy out himself as a chud and donate to antiabortion groups or something

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

didn't the weratedogs guy out himself as a chud and donate to antiabortion groups or something

he donated to a pro-abortion group and a bunch of chuds had a meltdown

also the profile on him is fuckin' incredible

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Last I heard he was just racist and changed dog names that were too 'foreign' to get more clicks.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
iirc he runs it for the sole purpose of money in a super cynical capitalist sort of way

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wonder what it's actually like to make your living running social media accounts to get clicks and boost brands. Surely some people on this board are doing it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh yeah they gave him poo poo for donating half the profits of a covfefe hat to planned parenthood

and then he tried to walk it back

quote:

Last night, Trump made a hilarious typo. Thankfully I was on twitter when it happened and immediately included "covfefe" in an emergency dog rate. We then put the word on a hat and added it to our store. Many of you thought it was the best thing ever, but a few comments that stuck with me referenced how it's not the most honest way to make a few bucks. In the heat of the moment, I added that we would be donating half of all profits to Planned Parenthood, an organization with values opposite our current administration. I thought it was perfect. Immediate feedback was positive and encouraged more people to buy the hat.

This morning I woke up to a ridiculous amount of backlash for my decision. I let my personal beliefs infiltrate an account that's not meant to share them. This isn't really a good excuse after two years of running the account, but I am still learning. And today I learned that rushing decisions involving your money and a very sensitive subject is irresponsible. So, since we already said we would, and many of you bought it because we said we would, we will still be donating that money to PP. But I saw some comments suggesting we donate to dog shelters, which is obviously much more on brand for us. So, I will match whatever we end up donating to PP, and donate it to a local shelter.

If my actions offended you, I'm sincerely sorry. Alienating a portion of my audience is stupid and unnecessary. Different opinions are good and conversations about those opinions are valuable. Dogs are bipartisan and that's why my following is diverse and my account brings people together. Last night I jeopardized that, and I'm sorry. I'll do my best to put the train back on the tracks to the wholesome, pure, escape from reality account you all have come to love.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I wonder what it's actually like to make your living running social media accounts to get clicks and boost brands. Surely some people on this board are doing it.

It's actually loving impossible and a huge time sink for most businesses, which are small and local so their reach is limited. Even if they did manage to go viral it wouldn't do them much good. Like whoopty poo poo a bunch of people who don't live in my service area love me.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

It's actually loving impossible and a huge time sink for most businesses, which are small and local so their reach is limited. Even if they did manage to go viral it wouldn't do them much good. Like whoopty poo poo a bunch of people who don't live in my service area love me.

It's easily the most useless job a person could do

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MizPiz posted:

It's easily the most useless job a person could do

Yeah pretty much. I mean, you can convince people to give you money to do it, but you'll never actually get anywhere with it.

The median FB post has zero likes or comments. And also FB doesn't want anything that isn't people (news/businesses) on feed unless they're paying for it. Now get out there and get that customer engagement, social media managers.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I met a social media manager once. She was a miserable person who would rather be doing wedding planning but couldn't make that much doing it so she just managed the Twitter of a couple companies instead.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
organic robots are a cheap and effective way to circumvent turing tests and promote your brand on social media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde