Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Stickman posted:

I don't necessarily disagree, but the correct way to administer a program like that is extremely leniently until such time as it can be fixed (see also, immigration).

yeah to be clear, they probably are being as evil as possible but we don't have much reporting on it yet (unless DeVos is still too focused on making it easier to get away with rape in college)

i've just known a couple different lawyers now that had real problems getting everything together and getting confirmation of the eligible payments they made (this was back in the late Obama era), and theoretically they should have an easier time navigating a mess of stupid rules than most normal people trying to get PSLF

eke out fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

eke out posted:

the craziest thing about this is there's not even any indication Trump and co. are administering it in a particularly bad way, it's just a legitimately poo poo, opaque program

this is from one of the linked articles

it loving sucks

That type of shits by design.

Comes from the same place as impossible literacy tests and exact match ID laws. Don't want those people to get anywhere.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Oracle posted:

You must not be old enough to remember Eternal September.

I know of it, but never experienced it personally. I only got the internet for the first time in like 1999 because by then I had a PC with an actual honest to god modem in it (up until then it was just a Commodore PC 50-II from like 1989 or something), but I'm definitely old enough to remember when internet companies like AOL went out of their way to encourage people to use "netiquette" and not be raging loving assholes as their very first inclination the moment they got into a chat room or message board. I have to regularly remind myself nowadays, because I don't use any other message board besides these forums anymore even to browse, but the little slap fights people sometimes have in USPOL/Trump thread from time to time is like friendly disagreement banter compared to the unrelenting shitposting and unreadable chaos that was permeating the average online forum by the time I said "Okay gently caress this I'm out" in like 2014.

I feel like something similar to the Endless September happened around that time with a younger generation of users coming online all at once and just the sheer obsession it has with memes and shitposting overwhelming the existing culture of many message boards and user groups pretty much permanently.

Kale fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 19, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Madkal posted:

I'm actually kind of curious on what the guy was expecting. It wasn't like Trump was hiding who he was all these years.

He was expecting all the heat to fall on immigrants, minorities, and other poor people who aren't him. Aging white bigots very much banked on Daddy Trump riding in to save them from the scary brown people and restore (their idea) of the Amercian Dream. It consistently comes as a shock when they're forced to face the fact that he does not give one withered poo poo about them either.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 19, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Also not at all the first time he's blamed a disaster on its victims.

Fundamental attribution error: those other people fell victim to a disaster because they were irresponsible, but Trump knows we're the good people who are only victims of circumstance

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Skippy McPants posted:

He was expecting all the heat to fall on immigrants, minorities, and other poor people who aren't him. Aging white bigots very much banked on Daddy Trump riding in to save them from the scary brown people and restore (their idea) of the Amercian Dream. It consistently comes as a shock when they're forced to face the fact that he does not give one withered poo poo about them either.

The whole "I never expected the leopard to eat my face" line is pretty standard among those types. And then you have the occasional "While the leopard may have eaten my face it also ate those other faces too!" types that still support him.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

"It's one dead guy, it never goes farther than that with authoritarians if we just appease them."

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

"I beleive it is LiveJournos for our time."

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Taerkar posted:

The whole "I never expected the leopard to eat my face" line is pretty standard among those types. And then you have the occasional "While the leopard may have eaten my face it also ate those other faces too!" types that still support him.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if we told the average American that they wouldn’t see jail time for murdering people if they use a special gun that would shoot them at the same time they’re shooting someone else.

I’d imagine a shitload of dead or critically injured people who are honestly confused on how they got shot.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nelson Concedes Florida Senate Race
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/18/politics/bill-nelson-rick-scott-florida-recount-result/index.html

Does this mean the Broward undervote was really just people not really seeing the Senate Race because it came immediately after the instructions?

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 19, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hellblazer187 posted:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/18/politics/bill-nelson-rick-scott-florida-recount-result/index.html

Does this mean the Broward undervote was really just people not really seeing the Senate Race because it came immediately after the instructions?
Unironically yes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah, that's been the word from the people doing the recount.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

JFC. I know that the "the writers are getting lazy" trope is a bit overused but "South Florida fucks up a ballot design, olds are blind and dumb, leads to narrow republican win" is just too much for me to take a second time.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

JFC. I know that the "the writers are getting lazy" trope is a bit overused but "South Florida fucks up a ballot design, olds are blind and dumb, leads to narrow republican win" is just too much for me to take a second time.

First As Tragedy, Then As Farts

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/PStahlberg/status/1064422856812052480?s=19

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1064550151203815424

wanted to flag something interesting in this new complaint

quote:

23. On November 17, 2018, President Trump told reporters that while he is close to nominating someone to serve as Ambassador to the United Nations, a post which Ambassador
Nikki Haley still occupies and expects to vacate by the end of the year, he is not close to submitting an Attorney General nomination to the Senate because he is happy with Mr. Whitaker.

so once again, Trump's public statements undermine the pasted-together justifications his DOJ made for him

almost the entire legal foundation for appointing Whitaker comes from an 1898 case where the temporary appointment was only allowed because of exigent circumstances - but Trump is openly telling reporters here there's no emergency, he loves Whitaker, and he's happy for him to serve however long

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

That dog is a fantastic help to keeping Finland safe and is the very back bone of their social services.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1064213420382277635

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Ok, she's pretty good at this.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Your Boy Fancy posted:

This story hosed me up. Here's a long-ish read from both sides - a guy in Maine who thinks he's helping stem fake news by creating tons of it as satire and watching as Russians co-opt it, and a woman in Nevada who mindlessly signal boosts the satire as reality. Brings everything into stark relief regarding our current status as the information empire slowly consumes us all, and why I'm so grateful for places like this that actually discuss the merits.

Incidentally, if you haven't deleted your Facebook account or at least made yourself functionally anonymous on it, do it. You can't kill the beast. You can only starve it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.8bec1eb99041

quote:

“We live in an Idiocracy,” read a small note on Blair’s desk, and he was taking full advantage. In a good month, the advertising revenue from his website earned him as much as $15,000, and it had also won him a loyal army of online fans. Hundreds of liberals now visited America’s Last Line of Defense to humiliate conservatives who shared Blair’s fake stories as fact. In Blair’s private Facebook messages with his liberal supporters, his conservative audience was made up of “sheep,” “hillbillies,” “maw-maw and paw-paw,” “TrumpTards,” “potatoes” and “taters.”

Blair had fooled them. Now came his favorite part, the gotcha, when he could let his victims in on the joke.

“OK, taters. Here’s your reality check,” he wrote on America’s Last Line of Defense, placing his comment prominently alongside the original post. “That is Omarosa and Hope Hicks, not Michelle Obama and Chelsea Clinton. They wouldn’t be caught dead posing for this pseudo-patriotic nationalistic garbage . . . Congratulations, stupid.”

“Well, they never did have any class,” commented Shirley Chapian, from Pahrump, Nev., and Blair watched his liberal followers respond.

“That’s kind of an ironic comment coming from pure trailer trash, don’t you think?”

“You’re a gullible moron who just fell for a fake story on a Liberal satire page.”

“You my dear . . . are as smart as a potato.”

Deprogramming conservatives would be a good idea, it's just not what he's doing. What Blair is doing is more like maintaining a safari where he and his buddies can hurl personal abuse at easy targets. Fun for them I guess, but at the cost of spewing yet more mind poison out into the world.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ornedan posted:

Deprogramming conservatives would be a good idea, it's just not what he's doing. What Blair is doing is more like maintaining a safari where he and his buddies can hurl personal abuse at easy targets. Fun for them I guess, but at the cost of spewing yet more mind poison out into the world.

I like the part in the article where the abuse she gets falling for his fake news prank just reinforces her belief that liberals are crazy and hateful, and does nothing to make her question her belief in a story that "seemed true" because liberals are crazy and hateful: after all here are liberals confirming how crazy and hateful they are to people like her!

But whatever Blair needs to tell himself to justify that sweet $180k/year he pulls in manufacturing fascist propaganda

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Oracle posted:

You must not be old enough to remember Eternal September.

Kinda like Infrastructure Week.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Mustached Demon posted:

That type of shits by design.

Comes from the same place as impossible literacy tests and exact match ID laws. Don't want those people to get anywhere.

Ehhh, I've dealt with enough government funding projects to learn that a lot of obnoxious, lovely rules are the years-out legacy of a mishmash of fraud prevention, transparency, and privacy concerns (sometimes directly contradicting transparency). And all poorly written to boot, which leads to even dumber requirements stemming from confused interpretation, in some ways similar to the VA discussion from before.

In my experience it's really hard to intentionally design something to be that randomly nightmarish and get it through the various agencies/processes that presumably are trying to inhibit that kind of chaos. There are much easier ways to gently caress over the poor and minorities.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

VitalSigns posted:

I like the part in the article where the abuse she gets falling for his fake news prank just reinforces her belief that liberals are crazy and hateful, and does nothing to make her question her belief in a story that "seemed true" because liberals are crazy and hateful: after all here are liberals confirming how crazy and hateful they are to people like her!

But whatever Blair needs to tell himself to justify that sweet $180k/year he pulls in manufacturing fascist propaganda

Hey, a good grift is a good grift

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

I like this lady. She knows what's what. (Although you don't need to be a Millennial to rock the Twitter, as John Dingell constantly shows us.)

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ornedan posted:

What Blair is doing is essentially an offshoot of how USPOL figures you solve the problem of far right conservative indoctrination....score as many online dunks on them as possible, make fun of them in the process, and then ????

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

AOC's rhetorical agility is great, but I'm worried that she will overdo it.

Hopefully once she starts her term, she will get over the urge to personally respond to every single hater.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Hopefully once she starts her term, she will get over the urge to personally respond to every single hater.

yeah you know when they go low she should just go high

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Except she doesn't get in slapfights; she just ripostes and lets the matter drop.

And I'm pretty confident that serving on the back bench of a bunch of committees for her first couple of terms will not complicate her life to the point where she can't handle her own Twitter account.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

The problem with her getting into a bunch of different Twitter slap fights a day is that the media will ignore the 99 she "wins" and cover to death the one she "loses", or even the ones she doesn't respond to.

And after a few years of that coverage the public will just know her as that millennial congresswoman who gets into Twitter fights.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Oh god, I can't imagine a world when an elected official uses twitter in way that could be deemed as "bad"

My heavens, what is the world coming to!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Xae posted:

The problem with her getting into a bunch of different Twitter slap fights a day is that the media will ignore the 99 she "wins" and cover to death the one she "loses", or even the ones she doesn't respond to.

And after a few years of that coverage the public will just know her as that millennial congresswoman who gets into Twitter fights.

Right now the public knows her as the awesome progressive who advocates lots of great ideas and is actually capable of using technology as opposed to most of the dinosaurs we have in Washington, including one rear end in a top hat who literally has his staff print every tweet out for him. I'm not worried about a hypothetical future take.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xae posted:

The corporate media will lie about her no matter what she does (see Jake Tapper lying about Medicare For All) because she is a threat, Twitter is the only place Americans can see her in her own words.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Xae posted:

this is the look of the ones that flinch and it's a bad look.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

enraged_camel posted:

She's not, really. But at the moment aside from orientation details and setting up staff she's kinda unemployed with time to burn.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

The corporate media will lie about her no matter what she does (see Jake Tapper lying about Medicare For All) because she is a threat, Twitter is the only place Americans can see her in her own words.

RT exists but the traitors sneer and pretend that this is the reason for their sudden and dramatic ideological conversion before returning to the lines as though nothing ever happened, just like when Bush and Obama critics went on AJl Jazeera and we heard all the same from that crowd

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

OAquinas posted:

She's not, really. But at the moment aside from orientation details and setting up staff she's kinda unemployed with time to burn.

It's arguable that building this kind of following is good as well - it gives her leverage to avoid fundraising as much. When I interned many years ago my Congresswoman had to spend 30 hours a week calling donors on top of whatever Congressing she had to do!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Internet Explorer posted:

yeah you know when they go low she should just go high

I think she's frequently speaking over their heads, though?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I think it can only help keep activism engaged to have someone continuing to engage with them and explain what's going on with credibility and clarity, Congress is generally very opaque. And keeping activism engaged and energized is how we get more people like her believing they can make a difference and trying to take that step up to government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

[Edit: Nevermind, this is getting too far off from discussing news topics.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 19, 2018