Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The best thing Snyder did with Aquaman was make him a pac islander, and I think that alone is gonna carry his BO take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Wow that costume looks stupid.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Would you be able to elaborate on this? The former section specifically

Kurosawa was/is criticised in Japan for making Western films, (Western in the sense of The West, not the genre, but that too) and films that pandered to foreigner audiences instead of Japanese, especially when his contemporaries were Ozu and Mizoguchi who were considered to be more traditional Japanese filmmakers. He would later in his life admit that western culture did influence him a lot, but he didn't think that it made him any less of a Japanese filmmaker.

And it wasn't just in Japan. The french new wave went with Mizoguchi as the real Japanese auteur(Americans went with Kurosawa), and these days as Ozu work is more accessible you'll see people often discuss it for how japanese it looks and feels.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 19, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Escobarbarian posted:

Japanese critics strongly disliked Kurosawa for being "too Western," if I remember correctly.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Escobarbarian posted:

I assume Electronico6 is referring to Kurosawa never being as admired in Japan as he was (and is) in the West. Some critics and directors (Nagisa Oshima most notably) even accused him of deliberately pandering to the tastes of foreign audiences.

Incidentally, it's interesting to compare the BBC list with the 200 best Japanese films as selected by Kinema Junpo (Japan's oldest film magazine) readers as well as the 100 best Chinese films according to members of the Hong Kong Film Awards. The latter in particular is a good example of how films which are valued abroad may not always be the ones with the most acclaim domestically. In the Mood for Love doesn't show up until #91 for instance.

Edit: Too slow, but check out the links I posted anyway.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Aquaman seems to be a movie that they are making out of obligation rather than because anyone wants it. I know Aquaman has it's fans and the comic is often supposed to be legit but that just doesn't change that the public perception of the character at best is "meh" so I can't imagine this doing that well. What the hell do I know though?

Unrelated, I missed this because I've actively ignored the show for years, but I'm actually kind of gobsmacked to hear that South Park did a two part episode basically apologizing for being so wrong about Climate Change for so long. Still not gonna watch the show or even give them much credit, but you rarely see their type admit they were wrong so it's still nice.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Surprised by the lack of Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter on that list.

But I haven't seen the Suzuki they have on it. I should probably get on that.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Franchescanado posted:

Is there a Coen Bros gag as or more ridiculous than the dildo chair reveal?

There have been really good answers for this so far, but I'd definitely add Adam Driver's vocals during the live recording session in Inside Llewyn Davis.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Power of Pecota posted:

There have been really good answers for this so far, but I'd definitely add Adam Driver's vocals during the live recording session in Inside Llewyn Davis.

Oh yeah, I love his goofy rubber-faced singing!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks a lot for the info everyone! Funny that despite all that the Japanese films list still has Seven Samurai at 1

Anyway what are we talking about?..... oh yeah

......OUTER

......SPACE!

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The 3 Obayashi movies on the top 25 of that 200 list and none of them being House is really messing me up.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
(posted in the wrong thread, I think)

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 19, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

axelblaze posted:

Aquaman seems to be a movie that they are making out of obligation rather than because anyone wants it. I know Aquaman has it's fans and the comic is often supposed to be legit but that just doesn't change that the public perception of the character at best is "meh" so I can't imagine this doing that well. What the hell do I know though?

Unrelated, I missed this because I've actively ignored the show for years, but I'm actually kind of gobsmacked to hear that South Park did a two part episode basically apologizing for being so wrong about Climate Change for so long. Still not gonna watch the show or even give them much credit, but you rarely see their type admit they were wrong so it's still nice.

I don't know what kind of returns they're getting at the box office but from what I've noticed Warner's whole attempt at having their own Avengers style "cinematic universe" has pretty much gotten a lukewarm reception at best.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I don't think anyone was ever really excited for "an Aquaman movie". But that particular Aquaman movie looks like they're trying to ape the fun colorful fantasy feel of later Thor stuff, so it could be good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The dude that plays aquaman is pretty fun it'll probably be better than justice League at least

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

"It kinda sorta imitates a thing I liked." and "It won't be as bad as a thing no one liked." are both pretty dire predictions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

"It kinda sorta imitates a thing I liked." and "It won't be as bad as a thing no one liked." are both pretty dire predictions.

Welcome to the dc universe friend

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Isn’t the concept of an Aquaman movie a joke from Entourage?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Our current reality is too absurd for a Paul Verhoeven sci-fi movie so something like this isn't even silly anymore.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yep

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

James Wan as director makes me curious, but it looks so dull.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

I don't know what kind of returns they're getting at the box office but from what I've noticed Warner's whole attempt at having their own Avengers style "cinematic universe" has pretty much gotten a lukewarm reception at best.

The only one that got a good reception (other than Man of Steel which I’m ignorant about the public perception of) was Wonder Woman, which was just as bloated and lifeless as your average marvel movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Skwirl posted:

James Wan as director makes me curious, but it looks so dull.

The chase scene in the extended trailer released a little while ago made me more interested in the film. It gave me Tintin vibes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The only one that got a good reception (other than Man of Steel which I’m ignorant about the public perception of) was Wonder Woman, which was just as bloated and lifeless as your average marvel movie.

I just don't understand why people are still going to see this poo poo. How many of these loving movies does anyone need to watch?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’ll never understand it then.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

CPL593H posted:

I just don't understand why people are still going to see this poo poo. How many of these loving movies does anyone need to watch?

If anything Marvel movies have just been getting better. Thor 3 was the best Thor, Avengers 3 was the best Avengers, and Guardians 2 was the best sci-fi action movie in a long time.

And it seems like DC has finally decided that grim and miserable isn't how anyone likes their superhero movies, so Aquaman and Shazam, from the trailers at least, look like they're gonna be the best DC movies

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

I hear that in Aquaman, the laser that’s shooting into the sky which Aquaman must stop, this laser will be RED!!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

You’ll never understand it then.

Try and explain it then.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I hear that in Aquaman, the laser that’s shooting into the sky which Aquaman must stop, this laser will be RED!!

Yeah I mean, why are people not bored with this poo poo yet? We're now a decade into having superhero movies all the time. I know that the average ticket buyer generally goes for what's familiar and not exactly challenging but how many times can you watch a bunch of nearly identical movies over and over again and pay a premium price for it? I'm not even saying that we need to load up the multiplexes with all the hip new art films. Just make something else. Make some loving movies for adults.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 19, 2018

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Gripweed posted:

Thor 3 was the best Thor, Avengers 3 was the best Avengers

Such high praise.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Literally lol at anyone who thinks Infinity War was demonstrably better than previous avengers movies

Gripweed posted:

And it seems like DC has finally decided that grim and miserable isn't how anyone likes their superhero movies, so Aquaman and Shazam, from the trailers at least, look like they're gonna be the best DC movies

If people don't like "grim and miserable" superhero movies, then why was Beavis one of the highest selling home video items of 2016?

The vast majority of people do not see MoS or Beavis and see "grim" movies. They see cape men punching. The notion that the films are demonstrably darker in their content is an ideological fantasy of fans.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

K. Waste posted:

Literally lol at anyone who thinks Infinity War was demonstrably better than previous avengers movies

Civil War sucks too, but it's pretty easily the best Avengers movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

You joke but Black Manta shoots red lasers out of his helmet in the trailer.

Yes that's the name of the villain, yes it's a black guy, though in fairness to the comics it was just a dud in a helmet for decades before it was revealed to be a black guy underneath, so it's not certain the original creators of the character were being racist.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

K. Waste posted:

The Avengers is one of the least-exciting blockbusters I’ve ever seen, I could see Infinity War clearing that bar just by being bad instead of awful.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

On a related note, I was thinking about the voice Christian Bale does in the Nolan Batman movies. If the whole take was supposed to be a more serious and "realistic" Batman movie why the hell did he let Bale do that ridiculous voice? And I say this as someone who liked those movies. At least at the time, I think I've gradually soured on them a bit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

LesterGroans posted:

Such high praise.

I remember ten years ago people saying, "eventually everyone's gonna get tired of superhero movies" but the movies are not only making more money, they're actually getting better too.

K. Waste posted:

The first two Avenger movies were directed by Josh Whedon and weren't very good. Avengers 3 was better.

K. Waste posted:

The vast majority of people do not see MoS or Beavis and see "grim" movies. They see cape men punching. The notion that the films are demonstrably darker in their content is an ideological fantasy of fans.

I'm pretty sure they are literally darker than Marvel movies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

I'm pretty sure they are literally darker than Marvel movies.

Avengers 2 and Man Of Steel have identical color palettes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I remember ten years ago people saying, "eventually everyone's gonna get tired of superhero movies" but the movies are not only making more money, they're actually getting better too.

The first two Avenger movies were directed by Josh Whedon and weren't very good. Avengers 3 was better.

If the bar was any lower here it'd be on the floor.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Gripweed posted:

they're actually getting better too.

I'm not sure I agree 100% on your police work there, Lou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Avengers 2 and Man Of Steel have identical color palettes.

Oh god, remember that terrible "What if MoS was in color" video that 1) Had a super-saturated version of the film was horrible and made the African savanna look like Kentucky Bluegrass and 2) they desaturated the actual colors from the actual film to make theirs look better.