Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

If you're not playing Ironman opening the console and using charinfo tells you the real father if they're not a known bastard. Turns out 4/9 of my last rulers were bastards.

I‘ve had several rulers lately whose sons died by me trying to push them into a warrior guild, and have the dynasty saved by a spouse or concubine who was very discreet about things.

winterwerefox posted:

Start as Ring in Sweden, Join warrior lodge. Declare your tribal pagan subjugation war on Harold Wartooth in Sjaeland. Win* and take his lands.
Isn’t he capable of fielding a much bigger army than Ring’s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That's pretty neat.

So, she's the descendant of the saintliest woman ever to rule a Christian realm. Her ancestors essentially saved Christianity and created the strongest realm in all of Christianity. Things are about to change.

PS: I didn't make her a satanist. She was when when I got to control her.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Do you need to be independent to start a bloodline?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Palemdromes posted:

Do you need to be independent to start a bloodline?

No. I got mine by a character being made a saint whilst I was a vassal of East Francia.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Asproigerosis posted:

Converted all of eastern europe to christianity, ~15,000 piety, carried the first crusade for aquitaine to victory, created the wendish empire. Not enough to become a saint apparently.

Did you fulfill the Paragon of Virtue ambition? I just had back to back rulers: one with ~2,500 piety but was a PoV, and one with ~10,000 piety but no PoV. First one was sainted, second was not.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Goddamn this game is great.

I start welsh and go about conquoring/uniting the Wales. Comes down to me vs the other biggest welsh king. I die in combat and get gavelkinded down to two landlocked territories, i white peace and eat a prestige penalty.

The the pope calls a crusade so I hop aboard and score some sweet loot. The crusade succeeds (my 1500 soldiers helped!) And my veteran ruler returns and I begin plot to get back my fathers territory. I declare war on my weakest neighbor, and then the fuckin chancellor of England fabs a claim, blows up my army, and takes my richest county leaving me with a miserable two-holding spit of land.

However my ruler had a good intrigue score, and I decide to get back and the english chancellor by swearing fealty to England and Lucifer. I quickly become the spymaster of England, seduce the chancellor's wife, successfully kidnap the chancellor and sacrafice him to Satan

Game is good

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Randarkman posted:

No. I got mine by a character being made a saint whilst I was a vassal of East Francia.

I’ve read people talking about an ambition to forge a bloodline, but I’ve never seen t and I’m a vassal king of Francia.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Palemdromes posted:

I’ve read people talking about an ambition to forge a bloodline, but I’ve never seen t and I’m a vassal king of Francia.

Oh, well I didn't choose the ambition, I got the bloodline without asking for it, though it's been nifty. Anyway checking the files it seems you need to have at least 5000 prestige and be at least a duke.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Torrannor posted:

Adopt the intrigue focus to try to break him out? Also, is your vassal just unwilling to ransom your heir to you?

Aha, I thought there had to be a way. I haven't used Intrigue for a long time (I'm trying to become a saint here), and have evidently forgotten its powers. Never saw a ransom option, but finally clocked that he was her vassal and retracted his vassalage.

Clearly I need to play to this game full time for several weeks as revision, why do people around me not understand this?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

quadrophrenic posted:

Eldership is a pain in the rear end, I've been gaming it by voting for the lovely heir so that all the elders spite-vote for the heir I wanted anyway

Also, is there basically no use for Intrigue for African tribals? I don't think I've ever had a plot potential over 50% for anything except killing heathens. There's basically no point to espionage

Just send your spymaster off to Constantinople in hopes to get some random tech points I guess

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Well, my genius, lesbian daughter will soon succeed me hopefully.

e: Oh.... she's a satanist.

CK2.txt

Also, the 769 start is now a glorious clusterfuck within a month of starting the game. Charlemagne dies 99% of the time before he can conquer the Lombards, and the Avars are usually off'd by the Moravians or Bohemians by 780 at the latest. Iconoclasm also always supplants Orthodoxy as heterodox unless the player somehow intervenes.

PBJ fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 19, 2018

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

any reason my mods aren't downloading?

I've had to reinstall

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Fat Samurai posted:

Yeah, the whole "Potential Vassal Allies larger than my entire realm" is why I usually held off until I could bend the whole of Svitjod to forcefully vassalizing Sjaelland.

Personally, I haven't had much luck as Sigurdr Ring. First, I keep having sons other than Ragnarr, which causes the obvious gavelkind issues, but also Ragnarr keeps dying without kids, leaving his inferior brothers to carry on the line.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 4, 2018

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Wooper posted:

I would have been able to reform if not for the century of constant raids looting my temples. Viking Khans go away

It's a miracle that I got moral authority high enough to reform when things be like this:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
You know what we need, a way to forget a combat trait. It's weird that you can be forced into a choice when fighting that saddles you with a mostly useless specialization forever.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Strudel Man posted:

You know what we need, a way to forget a combat trait. It's weird that you can be forced into a choice when fighting that saddles you with a mostly useless specialization forever.

Isn't there usually a "No, I desire to focus on something else" option?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Randarkman posted:

That's pretty neat.

So, she's the descendant of the saintliest woman ever to rule a Christian realm. Her ancestors essentially saved Christianity and created the strongest realm in all of Christianity. Things are about to change.

PS: I didn't make her a satanist. She was when when I got to control her.

You are having an utterly crazy game of CK2 good sir.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

My dude got food poisoning, and I've, uh, never actually seen this event text before.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
MA is definitely a candidate for mod overhaul. Granted I've only played two games and they've been 769 and 867 starts, but both times Catholic MA immediately tanked due to them being either too weak or too focused on the Karling infighting to fend of being kicked around on all sides by Muslims and Pagans. Sunni's are also always at 100%, even in my Africa game where I holy warred them completely off the continent, which means the Shia event chain is pointless because they start with significantly less MA and just get converted/beaten down by huge Sunni blobs. Pagan MA is basically "Are you germanic vikings? If yes: unstoppable warpath to reformation. If no: hahaha get raided scrub."

I assume Catholics are fixed a bit in a 1066+ starts because they've got several large and stable realms to bulwark against being relentlessly poo poo on, but being Tengri or Suomenusko is still probably the loving worst.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

You are having an utterly crazy game of CK2 good sir.

Yeah, this one's been pretty good so far. Only got to play about one year into her reign so far. She's got a lesbian lover and a raven familiar, long time goal is to not get married but to get impregnated by Satan and have that kid inherit the realm, I pussied out on crowning myself though, not wanting to get excommunicated (and you can't set up an antipope when the Pope is your vassal). Devilspawn successor will crown himself if the opportunity presents itself, though before that good Ingeltrude here may have her realm cut short and I'll have to take over as one of her brothers *

* I switched HRE to agnatic-cognatic and bribed my electors to support Ingeltrude as my successor, I really wanted genius. Also, I figured it would be fun to play an unmarried lesbian Empress, I could just have a sibling produce an heir for me anyway. With her being a satanist I got a lot more than I was expecting.

** Also, having mostly played CK2Plus before waiting for this update (well I haven't played in months in anticipation of the update), could you always get claims on titles from the Pope like you can now? Because installing an antipope and basically using him to excommunicate dudes at will and request claims on a bunch of duchies then going to war for all of them has been pretty great so far.

e: On a different note a friend of mine who's playing African Pagan and reformed to basically turn them into Aztecs. Somehow in his game after Western Europe had been devastated by Muslims and Vikings (and then he devastated the Muslims), much of the remainder in former Lotharingia and in Germany has been unified into what's now become a very strong French culture Buddhist realm.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 19, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Catholic MA is also usually screwed by the huge antipope modifier.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

AG3 posted:

Are you sure that's not just the paranoia talking?

Speaking of, I get the "doubt besets me" on every single concubine pregnancy across multiple rulers in my Africa run. Not a single one of those rulers was paranoid. Bug I'm guessing?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Best Friends posted:

Speaking of, I get the "doubt besets me" on every single concubine pregnancy across multiple rulers in my Africa run. Not a single one of those rulers was paranoid. Bug I'm guessing?

I think this event is just common. I played as a female ruler, had five kids, and before I ever took a lover my husband confronted me about two of the pregnancies.

So obviously I took a lover eventually, if he's gonna be like that either way.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It's def common but since holy fury I'm getting it literally every time. I wonder if the coding enabling African religion women to get male consorts broke something.

Edit: ironically when there is a multiple male consorts situation, parenthood is never in doubt. Like after birth all the dudes are like "that's Steve's right? We all agree it looks like Steve?"

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 19, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ninjahedgehog posted:

Isn't there usually a "No, I desire to focus on something else" option?
I believe that's when you get an option because you have the war focus. The popups that appear in battle require you to pick one.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm the duke of tuscanny and a god-fearing catholic so why can't I pledge my support for the crusades? The only requirement that's got a red x is "the pope is your religious head"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
being immortal and having fifty children is cool but it really strains the usability of the family tab on the character screen. can't see poo poo. dead kids should get removed so you can actually see all the living ones

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I have a really stupid question.

Where the hell is the button to access the treasury/inventory? I feel like I've scoured the UI and I can't find it. Didn't it used to be a little goblet below your character portrait?

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
How rare is it to get the Alexander bloodline? I had a William game going and after the first crusade his grandson was flush with cash so I decided to forge a bloodline. The Alex event triggered and I spent a shitton of gold, and I think prestige during the event chains and managed to get it. After 57 year reign that guy died and he became a saint posthumously. My next three heirs all died of measles/cancer until the empire fell apart but I had three bloodlines going and that free invasion perk is nutty but I never got to use it.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

quadrophrenic posted:

Eldership is a pain in the rear end, I've been gaming it by voting for the lovely heir so that all the elders spite-vote for the heir I wanted anyway

Also, is there basically no use for Intrigue for African tribals? I don't think I've ever had a plot potential over 50% for anything except killing heathens. There's basically no point to espionage

Intrigue is for murdering elders who won't comply with what you want them to do. Some things are cross-cultural.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

grill youre saelf posted:

I have a really stupid question.

Where the hell is the button to access the treasury/inventory? I feel like I've scoured the UI and I can't find it. Didn't it used to be a little goblet below your character portrait?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Stairmaster posted:

I'm the duke of tuscanny and a god-fearing catholic so why can't I pledge my support for the crusades? The only requirement that's got a red x is "the pope is your religious head"

You or your liege has set up an anti-pope, so the pope is not your religious head.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Thanks so much! I must be blind.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Come on, dad. Hurry up and die so I can be the the Duke of Toulouse and Burgundy!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nut to Butt posted:

That's weird, but good to know- thanks. I wonder why.

I only partially kept abreast of the patch changes, and was expecting a Fylkir-like experience from the reformation choices I picked. Titular elective title, and no college of cardinals means I have the only vote, right? Wrong. :saddowns:

The reason is that you can't set a separate inheritance law for the religious head title, and kingdoms have always had separate inheritance from empires. Something obviously breaks when combining the only playable king level religious head title with an empire that has an inheritance mechanic unique to it. There are actually two things that could be broken here: The inheritance itself, meaning that the ponitfex title follows primogeniture and you lose it if a dynasty member other than your firstborn inherits the empire, or the tooltip is broken, and the title would go to another dynasty member who inherits the empire. If you're not on ironman, you could test it and save yourself a lot of hassle if only the tooltip is broken.

This likely wouldn't be an issue if you were ruling any empire but the Byzantine/Roman Empire (or the HRE).

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

The reason is that you can't set a separate inheritance law for the religious head title, and kingdoms have always had separate inheritance from empires. Something obviously breaks when combining the only playable king level religious head title with an empire that has an inheritance mechanic unique to it. There are actually two things that could be broken here: The inheritance itself, meaning that the ponitfex title follows primogeniture and you lose it if a dynasty member other than your firstborn inherits the empire, or the tooltip is broken, and the title would go to another dynasty member who inherits the empire. If you're not on ironman, you could test it and save yourself a lot of hassle if only the tooltip is broken.

This likely wouldn't be an issue if you were ruling any empire but the Byzantine/Roman Empire (or the HRE).

Interesting. I just pulled up the save, changed the empire inheritance so the titles would split, and console-killed the emperor. The titles split, so it's an inheritance issue, not a tooltip one.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Fat Samurai posted:

I‘ve had several rulers lately whose sons died by me trying to push them into a warrior guild, and have the dynasty saved by a spouse or concubine who was very discreet about things.

It requires luck and using every terrain advantage you can get. You can also stab him and his heirs till its only a child holding the titles, that cuts everything the Jarldom has before declaring your war. His forces start split in the north and south, his southern army is the worse one, if you can get your forces to force him into a water crossing, and well luck, you can hold your own and hope for a warrior lodge capture of Wartooth to force the surrender. I've managed to pull it off rarely. Rather than that, you can take everything but Denmark, make the kingdom, and do a force vassalize war for 1000 prestige over Sjaeland before they make Denmark

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Piell posted:

Catholic MA is also usually screwed by the huge antipope modifier.

They also take a -10% every time a Crusade is canceled, and in my limited experience so far the Pope is fickle as gently caress. I've never had a Crusade launch the first time, it's always been canceled at least once, and then recalled a month later on the same target. One time we were at about 80% war score in a Crusade for Hungary, when suddenly the Pope cancels it just before the finish line. Turns out Hungary chose to convert, which apparently not only doesn't count as a win and thus doesn't boost MA or dole out the warchest to the top contributors, but it also counts as a cancellation and tanks Catholic MA by 10% :psyduck:

HF is fantastic but I'm really hoping for a patch soon to clean some of this up.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Whorelord posted:

any reason my mods aren't downloading?

I've had to reinstall

I had a lot of problems getting CKII mods to download too. I'd never used mods for CKII before, but decided to go with the Gothic font one after Holy Fury came out, and while they seemed to download at first the game couldn't find them. First I read on the Steam forums that you need to manually create the "mod" folder in "documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II", but that didn't work either. After looking around some more another thread mentioned having all their CKII mods being downloaded to the "Steam/userdata/<some number>/ugc/referenced" instead. I had to go there and fish out the mods manually and put them in the mod folder in my documents.

I've never had this problem with other games, so it's kind of strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AG3 posted:

I had a lot of problems getting CKII mods to download too. I'd never used mods for CKII before, but decided to go with the Gothic font one after Holy Fury came out, and while they seemed to download at first the game couldn't find them. First I read on the Steam forums that you need to manually create the "mod" folder in "documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II", but that didn't work either. After looking around some more another thread mentioned having all their CKII mods being downloaded to the "Steam/userdata/<some number>/ugc/referenced" instead. I had to go there and fish out the mods manually and put them in the mod folder in my documents.

I've never had this problem with other games, so it's kind of strange.

If they don't appear in the launcher, or are red/missing a checkbox, shut it down and retry. Sometimes, it takes a minute for the mod to be recognized or properly downloaded, but running the launcher twice usually fixes it.

Also, if you have 40+(?) mods, some won't display and you need to trim your list.