Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

That's because the Hellenic pagan "papacy" is a king level title like the papacy, instead of being a duchy level title like all other reformed faiths. That screws with the inheritance.

That's weird, but good to know- thanks. I wonder why.

I only partially kept abreast of the patch changes, and was expecting a Fylkir-like experience from the reformation choices I picked. Titular elective title, and no college of cardinals means I have the only vote, right? Wrong. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
It owns that the icon for uncouth is basically pepe

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Mayor Dave posted:

It owns that the icon for uncouth is basically pepe

I send a missive to King Chud as I declare a great holy war:

"only gritty is above the law"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

It occurs to me that a horse should probably get some kind of personal combat bonus on account of being a horse. I wouldn't like to fight a horse, even if you gave me a sword.

Everyone knows that horses lose to spears.

Don't bring a sword to a horse fight.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Walton Simons posted:

I can't usurp a title from anyone in the same realm without a strong claim, unfortunately.

Are you trying to do it from the diplomacy menu? Go to where you create the title and the Usurp button should be there. He (and maybe you) must be at peace.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Really liking this new antagonize feature, especially when you're tribal and the merciless opinion balances itself out with a modifier to tribal opinion. I antagonized the pope and he sent back a reply basically admitting to my claims and the only option was to stop slandering him because he's so pathetic already.

Tribal governments with access to eldership succession are basically in the same space nomads were before now, where the real question isn't how can I become feudal, but why would I become feudal?

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 19, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fat Samurai posted:

Are you trying to do it from the diplomacy menu? Go to where you create the title and the Usurp button should be there. He (and maybe you) must be at peace.

No, that won't work. From CK2wiki:

quote:

Cannot usurp a title from anyone in the same realm, unless you have a strong claim

He plays as the count of Aragon, and wants to usurp the duchy from the duke of Aragon. Both are part of a Spanish kingdom, and you cannot use the simple "usurp" button to take the title of another ruler if you are part of the same realm, unless you have a strong claim.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
African merchant republic world conquest is going well 100 years in. Just finished off a major war against the Abassids that finished off any actual resistance they could put against me. Now the doors to the east are wide open for me.

Not hitting the vassal limit is going to be tricky, but I think it's doable. I decided to break Africa into 3 vassal kingdoms, not including my own kingdom of Egypt, which, once de jure drift has completed, will only encompass the duchy of Alexandria where my capital is. Arabia and Syria are finished. Jibal will eventually become the kingdom of Persia and will include both Persia and Daylam. Perhaps Khorasan too, we'll see.

Africa is coming along well. The tech boost from the developed trade routes is doing work, and within the next 100 years or so, I imagine the entire continent will have adopted feudalism, and it should pretty much all be green in the economy map mode. I've spent thousands over the last couple years on hillforts, so hopefully a big wave of conversion is in the cards soon.

For 100 years in, income is already through the roof. I'm at 64 trade posts currently. By end game, I should be over 100, and all the rest of the trade posts I have yet to get are silk road trade posts that will have huge income. I've already built all the trade posts I want to build. The rest I can conquer through war, which works independently of my trade post limit. I've started trimming my family down, so my family dues are going to shrink down to almost nothing while my income is only going to go up.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 19, 2018

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

DJ Dizzy posted:

Whats the fastest way to reform the norse religion, when starting as Sjælland? Is it possible to do it before I die to avoid gavelkind splintering my realm?

Start as Ring in Sweden, Join warrior lodge. Declare your tribal pagan subjugation war on Harold Wartooth in Sjaeland. Win* and take his lands. Declare desire to be King of Sweden. Subjugate everyone in dejure Swedish lands. Vestergotland, Austergotland will be weak from fighting each other, you usually can pick off the weakened winner by this point. all the lil counties of dejure Sweden as well. Gives you a big Piety boost. Make the king title from being in business focus your first 5 years and making fake money. Ask all the independant counts in Norway to Vassalise. Start burning churches in Finland and getting your MA up. Ive managed to get reformed in 12 years and all but Saxony under one Crown. Raiding does not need to have a direct line for holdings being burned down for money, just the county wealth needs to be bordering. ransom off any captured families for cash. Get your tribal retinues up and running. at least 1000 guys. never have your prestige retinues standing around, they are practically free to have burning things and looting for you. if you can burn 200 holdings, you gain a bloodline for burning things.

*Warrior Lodge helps here a lot, if you can capture Wartooth.

Reforming this fast and picking a religion feature that gives open inheritance means you dont have to worry about gavelkin

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 19, 2018

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

TaurusTorus posted:

Someone repost that screed about how a man can punch a horse to death, citing Dark Souls as evidence.

I have a great need to know what the gently caress this is.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

ShootaBoy posted:

I have a great need to know what the gently caress this is.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It's even better than I imagined. :laffo:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, it peaked at dolphin pussy, but the rest of it was just :allears:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Torrannor posted:

No, that won't work. From CK2wiki:

He plays as the count of Aragon, and wants to usurp the duchy from the duke of Aragon. Both are part of a Spanish kingdom, and you cannot use the simple "usurp" button to take the title of another ruler if you are part of the same realm, unless you have a strong claim.

Can confirm, it sucks. I'm trying to fabricate a claim via my chancellor and plotting but no luck so far. Seems like a popular guy and my chancellor sucks. Until something happens I'm raiding the med constantly.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

Can confirm, it sucks. I'm trying to fabricate a claim via my chancellor and plotting but no luck so far. Seems like a popular guy and my chancellor sucks. Until something happens I'm raiding the med constantly.

Weird, you can't plot to get a claim on the tile, then war on your liege to get it?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Continuing my HRE game with the previous patch, I've hit a snag. Eloi the Great was bashed in the head and made incapable. Reigned at least ten years with a regent and had like 3 or 4 heirs murdered out from under me. Just inherited with an Emeperess who was previously Queen of Castile and Syria. Was lucky in that since I paused immediately I had one day without a regent and was able to give out a ton of titles to different folks without objection.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Holy poo poo the Zun lodge trait gives siege time and movement bonus as well as fighting bonuses I. Deserts and Mountains

That's crazy

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Everyone knows that horses lose to spears.

Don't bring a sword to a horse fight.

Something that annoys me a little is how due to rock-paper-scissor balance in strategy games alot of people (not saying you) have generally began to actually think that a spear isn't really that good unless you are fighting cavalry. The same things that make a spear a better weapon to use against cavalry, ease of use, low cost, reach, conducive to fighting in formation, apply just as well to fighting against men on foot really.

And there are many examples in history of cavalry charging and defeating men armed with spears. Generally the best antidote against cavalry seems to have been a solid block of men that didn't waver to hopefully halt a charge (most horses would reel and refuse to charge into what appeared to be a solid obstacle) and troops armed with missile troops to kill them when they were dead in the water. That and/or bring your own cavalry.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Weird, you can't plot to get a claim on the tile, then war on your liege to get it?

That's the plan but I'm maxing out at about 50% plot power. My ruler is pretty new and my old one was over 100% before they got murdered so just need to bide my time and bribe the right people, I think.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

ditches are probably the best defense against horses, but ditches are super boring and don't really lead themselves to the infantry block warfare that makes games fun.

in closing, combat sucks rear end if you actually gotta do it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Walton Simons posted:

That's the plan but I'm maxing out at about 50% plot power. My ruler is pretty new and my old one was over 100% before they got murdered so just need to bide my time and bribe the right people, I think.

Get the carousing focus and invite people that can bring plot power to a party. Also, use the new "sway person" feature on the most (plot) powerful of them.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Holy poo poo the Zun lodge trait gives siege time and movement bonus as well as fighting bonuses I. Deserts and Mountains

That's crazy

Sounds good, how do I play as Zun?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm ugly, wroth and paranoid. Somehow my wives who are half my age keep being unfaithful.

e: Also having a compliant Pope you installed is great. He can grant you claims on duchies left and right and excommunicate your enemies.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 19, 2018

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Randarkman posted:

I'm ugly, wroth and paranoid. Somehow my wives who are half my age keep being unfaithful.

Are you sure that's not just the paranoia talking?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AG3 posted:

Are you sure that's not just the paranoia talking?

If that were true I arrested my wife and revoked all her titles, sent her off to a monastery and had her daughter declared a bastard all for nothing. That doesn't seem likely.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 19, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

pidan posted:

One of these days I'll fulfill my promise to actually show people how

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Thanks to the Warrior Lodge, brutal combat, and some terrible medical treatments I now know how to acquire parrot.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

William the conqueror game ended after his dinasty refused to pop out anything but imbecile, clubfooted or hare-lipped dauhhters for 3 gens straight - kind of cant even fault the vasals for rebeling at that point.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pidan posted:

They're only playable in the Charlemagne start date, and sit right next to the Abbassid mega-blob. It's a pretty tough start, and requires a lot of luck to get going without falsely converting to Islam.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Converted all of eastern europe to christianity, ~15,000 piety, carried the first crusade for aquitaine to victory, created the wendish empire. Not enough to become a saint apparently.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Get the carousing focus and invite people that can bring plot power to a party. Also, use the new "sway person" feature on the most (plot) powerful of them.

Good advice, thanks.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Asproigerosis posted:

Converted all of eastern europe to christianity, ~15,000 piety, carried the first crusade for aquitaine to victory, created the wendish empire. Not enough to become a saint apparently.

Didn't form the new Slavic Union empire, 2/5, doesn't deserve to be made saint.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torrannor posted:

They're only playable in the Charlemagne start date, and sit right next to the Abbassid mega-blob. It's a pretty tough start, and requires a lot of luck to get going without falsely converting to Islam.

Jade Dragon made it a fuckton easier to do Zunism without converting, just expand east to the Silk Road post and pledge tributary to the Chinese.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

You're not starving yourself.

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.

Randarkman posted:

If that were true I arrested my wife and revoked all her titles, sent her off to a monastery and had her daughter declared a bastard all for nothing. That doesn't seem likely.

If you're not playing Ironman opening the console and using charinfo tells you the real father if they're not a known bastard. Turns out 4/9 of my last rulers were bastards.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
My best heir is languishing in one of own vassal's prisons. A good vassal with a nice bloodline I've been trying to spread, so revoking and risking a fight would be a shame. Am I missing some simpler way to spring my heir from gaol? It seems like the sort of thing I should be able to ask of a vassal.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Torrannor posted:

Didn't form the new Slavic Union empire, 2/5, doesn't deserve to be made saint.

trying to take land from nomads is awful if you've never tried to tame the eurasia expanse.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Eldership is a pain in the rear end, I've been gaming it by voting for the lovely heir so that all the elders spite-vote for the heir I wanted anyway

Also, is there basically no use for Intrigue for African tribals? I don't think I've ever had a plot potential over 50% for anything except killing heathens. There's basically no point to espionage

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Oh dear me posted:

My best heir is languishing in one of own vassal's prisons. A good vassal with a nice bloodline I've been trying to spread, so revoking and risking a fight would be a shame. Am I missing some simpler way to spring my heir from gaol? It seems like the sort of thing I should be able to ask of a vassal.

Adopt the intrigue focus to try to break him out? Also, is your vassal just unwilling to ransom your heir to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well turns out my wife was actually a secret Germanic pagan and her and several other of my vassals have now come out as open pagans. Also I took a head wound and am in a coma and I can't get my council to either revoke their titles or imprison them.

Well, my genius, lesbian daughter will soon succeed me hopefully.

e: Oh.... she's a satanist.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 19, 2018