Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

There are things I can remember that I can date back to before my sister was born, and there's two and a half years between us. I can remember getting my diaper changed before bed one night, and yeah, I would've been about two if I was sleeping in the bedroom I remember.

That said, there isn't much from that time period. I think the memory of finding a bleach stain on the carpet and asking mom about it dates to the same timeframe. And these are not exactly useful memories, so I have no idea why my brain latched onto that moment. Meanwhile, I don't actually remember my sister being born, or when she almost died at three months of age, even if these things happened after this earliest memory of mine. One of the theories as to why you don't remember being a baby is that the part of the brain that encodes long-term memory isn't fully developed until a few years along. Maybe just sometimes the brain gets a few early successes before it gets the hang of remembering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I remember nothing from before the day I was brought online, at the biological age of 10, when I was constructed from old epson printers and the contents of a McDonalds dumpster.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

RoboRodent posted:

Maybe just sometimes the brain gets a few early successes before it gets the hang of remembering?

I can't remember if there's any evidence of it, but some neuroscientists (and maybe Marvin Minsky?) have theorized that as your brain develops over the early years, it reprograms the way it stores and accesses memories.
Under that theory, really early memories will eventually become incompatible with that evolving format, unless you regularly recall them, which causes each memory to get reformatted. And of course, doing that recall and save can lead to exaggeration, amplification, and errors.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't remember stuff from when I was a baby crawling around but I do remember a few things from when I was a wee big-rear end toddler. One of the things I remember about being a toddler is, even then, not remembering anything from when I was a baby crawling around. (The reason I remember not remembering is because I remember my older siblings telling me stuff about what I did as a baby and I had no way of knowing if it was true or not.)

Then again, who knows :shrug:

I remember a pre-school group I went to from age 2 or 3. I looked it up on street view and aside from being smaller than I remember, it was pretty much exactly the same. HOWEVER my sister went there too, which means I would have seen it as a 5-6 year old. What I might be remembering is going to pick my younger sister up, knowing as a 5 year old that I used to go there because my parents told me. I think a lot of my early memories solidified because my sister essentially went through the same things 2 years later.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Nov 19, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

exaggeration, amplification, and errors.

That explains why I remember having friends as a kid

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Once when I was 6, me and my brother snuck into an empty building through a basement window. We were going to play doctor. He showed me his, but when it got to be my turn I chickened and ran.

Another memory I have is a spider outside my window. Orange body, green legs. I watched her build a web all summer, then one day there's a big egg in it. The egg hatched, and a hundred baby spiders came out, and ate her.

Memories are weird :shrug:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My earliest memory is of me sitting across from my sister at the dinner table and just making GBS threads my pants with enough poo poo that it felt like I was sitting on a warm soft cushion.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Most of my early memories, much like every other memory in general, are times when I did something extremely stupid. Like the time I went in to a house under construction and smashed a bunch of tiles and poured out a bag of cement and "tried" to set the wood frame on fire (I just held a match up to it for a couple seconds, I was very stupid and thought that would work). My dumb kid justification for it was they cut down the woods I used to play in to build it, so...

Everything else is pretty hazy before the time I got to the third grade.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

JebanyPedal posted:

My earliest memory is of me sitting across from my sister at the dinner table and just making GBS threads my pants with enough poo poo that it felt like I was sitting on a warm soft cushion.

So, last week?

Edit: Also, "that poo poo DID happen!"

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It has been said before, but the worst thing about those types of stdh's is the inclusion of the comments. It's like they don't trust the reader to have their own natural reaction, so they just tell you how to react.

I've always likened that to a laugh track in a mediocre sitcom.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I was going to complain that this isn't the "my earliest memory" thread but then most of these are also probably poo poo that didn't happen so it's actually still thread appropriate.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bike tory posted:

I was going to complain that this isn't the "my earliest memory" thread but then most of these are also probably poo poo that didn't happen so it's actually still thread appropriate.

If you're worried about a derail, just call EmmyOK over so they can have an aneurysm and shotgun blast probes all over the thread.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If you're worried about a derail, just call EmmyOK over so they can have an aneurysm and shotgun blast probes all over the thread.

Sounds like mod sass, MODS??

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Down with the empowered bourgeoisie.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Once when I was 6, me and my brother snuck into an empty building through a basement window. We were going to play doctor. He showed me his, but when it got to be my turn I chickened and ran.

Another memory I have is a spider outside my window. Orange body, green legs. I watched her build a web all summer, then one day there's a big egg in it. The egg hatched, and a hundred baby spiders came out, and ate her.

Memories are weird :shrug:

What do you remember about your mother

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It has been said before, but the worst thing about those types of stdh's is the inclusion of the comments. It's like they don't trust the reader to have their own natural reaction, so they just tell you how to react.

It's like the visual laugh track to a bad joke.

efb

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

And that nasty driver was Donald Duck in the 40s.

e: Now that I think about it he used an axe, not a car. Oh well, I'm sure it's been in some strip.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Nov 20, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Each sentence more desperate than the last, quite impressive.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The only real thing about this is that that dude seriously refers to his junk as "package".

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Zelder posted:

Each sentence more desperate than the last, quite impressive.

Should be impossible when he starts off with "nearly all women love a guy in sweatpants", but he somehow manages.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is the strong induction form of Luke's line about "every word of what you just said was wrong" -- every word more stdh than the last.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › shit_that_didnt_happen.txt: p.s. one of them became my wife, and to this day, she shares me with the other one

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I was expecting the ending to be "it turned out the reason they were staring at me is because I messily poo poo my pants without noticing"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just bench pressing in a public gym with my enormous penis hanging out, just another day.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

"And then I went home and ate all the ice cream and Slim Jims I wanted."

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dear Penthouse, you'll never guess what happened to me...!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Good thing they had a hotel room handy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm trying to view the 2 up-voters but it's not working :f5:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

"nearly all women love a guy in sweatpants"

Yes, this is definitely a thing which is real, right here.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's true though: I went to the gym and forgot to put my sweatpants on and nobody loved me tell you what.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If he were really such a magnificent specimen, he should be wearing double the underwear when he goes to the gym. Gotta keep that stuff locked down.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"nearly all women love a guy in sweatpants"

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Sir Lemming posted:

If he were really such a magnificent specimen, he should be wearing double the underwear when he goes to the gym. Gotta keep that stuff locked down.

You don't want that kind of counterbalance flopping around in the breeze. You could get a hernia.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

When I was in school our bus driver nicked a car, they have to pull over and call dispatch and then another bus driver comes and we had to get into that bus to complete the route.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I see the hopkin green frog kid improved his handwriting a bit, that's nice.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Not sure why exactly, but this reminded me of a complaint logged with a department store contact centre I used to work at. The customer was trying to claim that her flat screen TV spontaneously developed a crack (you'd be amazed how many people think this is a believable scenario). This alone would be stdh, but it gets better. She went on to give a back story that her kids were playing on their Wii alone when it happened and that they told her that's what happened and that they wouldn't lie.

I used to love reading through the complaint cases. Loads of stdh, but my memory is failing me now. I'll dig inside my brain for some more brb.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Nov 21, 2018

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Good thing they had a hotel room handy

I’m not sure a handy would leave the women pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
https://mobile.twitter.com/TommyO1966/status/1065794417716592644

:confused: