Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

How does the argument that Nelson didn't do enough to foster the careers of politicians in Florida follow to the conclusion that this led people to support Rick Scott? Especially when Nelson was the top-performing statewide Democrat in Florida in 2018.

Or that he was on the corporate cash gravy train, despite raising very little money compared to every other statewide campaign?

Because campaigning and building any infrastructure, at all, would have put him over the top in addition to helping fill the pipeline, and politician A raising less money than politician B doesn't mean he's not on the gravy train it just means he raised less money than someone else.

Put in some effort dude, this is weaker than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Are those figures about how much Scott "raised" including his self-funding?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Are those figures about how much Scott "raised" including his self-funding?

Probably.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

VitalSigns posted:

Because campaigning and building any infrastructure, at all, would have put him over the top in addition to helping fill the pipeline, and politician A raising less money than politician B doesn't mean he's not on the gravy train it just means he raised less money than someone else.

We already agreed that campaigning would have helped.

But, I don't see any way that Nelson helping to pick political candidates for first-time office runs leads to people switching from Rick Scott to Nelson.

The fact that the downticket vote %s were almost exactly the same, there was virtually no ticket-splitting, and voter turnout was at an all-time high seems to indicate that it is partisanship and the voter composition of Florida that produced those election results and not that Nelson had insufficiently recruited candidates for the statehouse in Tallahassee.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We already agreed that campaigning would have helped.

But, I don't see any way that Nelson helping to pick political candidates for first-time office runs leads to people switching from Rick Scott to Nelson.

The fact that the downticket vote %s were almost exactly the same, there was virtually no ticket-splitting, and voter turnout was at an all-time high seems to indicate that it is partisanship and the voter composition of Florida that produced those election results and not that Nelson had insufficiently recruited candidates for the statehouse in Tallahassee.

That was never the argument, the argument was about using all the time Nelson had as the guaranteed nominee to open campaign offices and build infrastructure to help other candidates (and himself). The fact that he didn't do that probably doesn't mean he lost voters to Scott, it probably means that potential Nelson voters didn't come out at all.

Nelson should have outrun Gillum by much more than he did on incumbency and whiteness alone, the fact that Gillum came within half a percent of an old white guy incumbent as a black newcomer to state-level politics (and did better than any Democrat gubernatorial candidate has in decades) is not an indictment of Gillum's campaign.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

That was never the argument, the argument was about using all the time Nelson had as the guaranteed nominee to open campaign offices and build infrastructure to help other candidates (and himself). The fact that he didn't do that probably doesn't mean he lost voters to Scott, it probably means that potential Nelson voters didn't come out at all.

Nelson should have outrun Gillum by much more than he did on incumbency and whiteness alone, the fact that Gillum came within half a percent of an old white guy incumbent as a black newcomer to state-level politics (and did better than any Democrat gubernatorial candidate has in decades) is not an indictment of Gillum's campaign.

538 had an analysis that said incumbency is slowly losing value and only has real meaning in House races.

The fact that you see Senate races in PA, FL, WI, VA, CO, and others that used to regularly split tickets almost exactly match their votes for President and Governor seems to indicate that turnout and partisanship matter much more than incumbency, race, or a particular office.

The "new normal" is that statewide elections are beginning to have smaller and smaller differences between offices and are lining up more and more with partisan voting patterns.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That doesn't mean the incumbency advantage is zero, only less than it used to be.

Do I really have to look up how much Tammy Baldwin outran Evers in Wisconsin just now to prove you wrong quantitatively instead of just qualitatively because if you're not going to put in the effort to lie convincingly I'm not really into it.

E: Eh gently caress it, the incumbent senator outran the gubernatorial challenger by 10 points in WI

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 19, 2018

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Or brown in Ohio winning while every other Dem lost

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

That doesn't mean the incumbency advantage is zero, only less than it used to be.

Do I really have to look up how much Tammy Baldwin outran Evers in Wisconsin just now to prove you wrong quantitatively instead of just qualitatively because if you're not going to put in the effort to lie convincingly I'm not really into it.

E: Eh gently caress it, the incumbent senator outran the gubernatorial challenger by 10 points in WI

Yes, I agree. But you said it should have been "much more" than it was.

By the same point, one outlier doesn't mean the effect is 0. In 2016, incredibly unpopular Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson won with Trump.

Statewide races have been getting closer and closer since 2004. Incumbency and other factors have been getting smaller and smaller.

In the 2018 election in Florida, I think Gillum did about as well as he could. The fact that the vote %s statewide were nearly identical and that voter participation was at a record high, seems to indicate that there wasn't a substantial group of people who really wanted to vote for Gillum, but stayed home because Nelson ran a bad campaign.

People really want to focus on the gaffes, campaign ads, and personalities of candidates, but outside of extreme scenarios (like being a child molester) those don't really have much of an impact. Especially in high-turnout situations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Or brown in Ohio winning while every other Dem lost

Brown this year was kind of a special circumstance. His opponent, who was the sitting Treasurer and had won statewide multiple times, dropped out of the race about 6 months before the election because his wife had cancer.

Before he dropped out, the polls were giving Mandel a small lead. Then, Brown shot up over the replacement candidate and more or less stayed there.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yes, I agree. But you said it should have been "much more" than it was.

OK so you agree you're just fishmeching about how much more is "much more", okay.

The fact that the vote %s statewide were nearly identical and that voter participation was at a record high, seems to indicate that there wasn't a substantial group of people who really wanted to vote for Gillum, but stayed home because Nelson ran a bad campaign.

That was never the claim. The claim was that Nelson should have beaten Gillum's total by more than half a percent, because incumbency advantage while diminished still exists so the indication is that Gillum's platform is more popular or Nelson is just a really poo poo campaigner or both.

No one is saying people secretly wanted to vote for Gillum more than anything but stayed home because Nelson ran a bad campaign, they are saying a good campaign would have brought out people who stayed home, and those people would be more likely to vote Gillum than they would to split their tickets or leave the gubernatorial section blank, so a better effort by Nelson would have had coattails. I know you know this and you're strawmanning for shits and giggles because you haven't been banned from this thread too, but in case anyone else is confused this is the actual argument.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

OK so you agree you're just fishmeching about how much more is "much more", okay.

That was never the claim. The claim was that Nelson should have beaten Gillum's total by more than half a percent, because incumbency advantage while diminished still exists so the indication is that Gillum's platform is more popular or Nelson is just a really poo poo campaigner or both.

No one is saying people secretly wanted to vote for Gillum more than anything but stayed home because Nelson ran a bad campaign, they are saying a good campaign would have brought out people who stayed home, and those people would be more likely to vote Gillum than they would to split their tickets or leave the gubernatorial section blank, so a better effort by Gillum would have had coattails. I know you know this and you're strawmanning for shits and giggles because you haven't been banned from this thread too, but in case anyone else is confused this is the actual argument.

It's not "fishmeching" since it is actually contrary to your argument.

I said that incumbency has a very small impact and that turnout was not likely depressed because Nelson and Gillum had almost identical vote totals and voter participation was at an all-time high.

You said that incumbency is much more important, turnout was depressed, and therefore he should have won by much more.

But, if your theory is that incumbency is much more valuable, then the fact that their vote totals matched and participation was at a record high seems to point towards incumbency having little impact. It would be a weird coincidence for Nelson's campaign to subtract exactly as much share of the vote that his incumbency provides to result in his vote share matching Gillum's totals.

Either incumbency had little impact or incumbency had a bigger impact, but Nelson's foibles subtracted the exact amount of votes that incumbency provides. I just don't see any evidence of your claims other than "it did."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 19, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Right okay he should have won by more than he did so your original argument was wrong thank you for admitting it, and you're now complaining about how much "much" is, cool cool.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

turnip kid posted:

What can Nikki Fried realistically accomplish? She's got a great platform especially as it pertains to gun control, but will the state allow her to implement any of it? I don't know how the state works!

I find it fascinating that she won.

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/11/18/this-is-how-nikki-fried-won-the-only-statewide-office-for-democrats/

I find this most interesting because she will be in charge of issuing concealed gun permits.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

yronic heroism posted:

Incumbency advantage is still a thing, as is racism. If anything, all else being equal we’d expect Nelson to overperform by at least a couple more points.

Incumbency is mostly campaign funding and name recognition. Rick Scott had a lot more of those than Nelson did, and he benefited from the hurricanes.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ague Proof posted:

Incumbency is mostly campaign funding and name recognition. Rick Scott had a lot more of those than Nelson did, and he benefited from the hurricanes.

With a 10k margin of victory, we're back in "what caused hillary to lose" territory, where literally anything can be the deciding factor.
-Broward ballot design? Yep!
-Nelson having next to zero spanish language outreach? Oh yeah!
-Hurricanes letting Scott look like 'concerned guy'? Sure!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

OAquinas posted:

With a 10k margin of victory, we're back in "what caused hillary to lose" territory, where literally anything can be the deciding factor.
-Broward ballot design? Yep!
-Nelson having next to zero spanish language outreach? Oh yeah!
-Hurricanes letting Scott look like 'concerned guy'? Sure!

I still get back to how Rick "Mr 5th Amendment" Scott ever got elected to anything, ever....

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

mcmagic posted:

I still get back to how Rick "Mr 5th Amendment" Scott ever got elected to anything, ever....

Alabama almost elected a child molester to the senate.

Personal history doesn't matter, just team affiliation.

...plus it helps that the florida democratic party is only slightly more lively than a fish that's been on the dock for 20 minutes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

OAquinas posted:

Alabama almost elected a child molester to the senate.

Personal history doesn't matter, just team affiliation.

...plus it helps that the florida democratic party is only slightly more lively than a fish that's been on the dock for 20 minutes.

When the scandal broke Moore dropped about ten points, candidate quality absolutely does matter, at least when it's at the extremes

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Ohio is a midwest red hell even though democrats are casting a majority of the votes. Gerrymandering must die.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Man, the more I’m reading about Sherrod Brown the more I like him. Why does this guy not have a higher national profile? He kicks rear end, well as much as it’s possible for a non-Bernie senator to kick at least.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

When the scandal broke Moore dropped about ten points, candidate quality absolutely does matter, at least when it's at the extremes

Did he I thought Moore had low overall support all along for being a crazy idiot and the scandal didn't change it, if it did anything it swung undecided voters toward Jones.

Ah yeah there it is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I remember 538 doing a thing saying that Alabama is 30 points more republican than the nation. The 30 point swing could roughly be divided into 10 points from the generic congressional ballot, 10 points from candidate quality pre-scandal (because Moore was polling 20 points below what you'd expect, not just 10), and 10 from him being a pedophile. It makes sense that the swing came from undecideds rather than republicans but a swing is a swing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I remember 538 doing a thing saying that Alabama is 30 points more republican than the nation. The 30 point swing could roughly be divided into 10 points from the generic congressional ballot, 10 points from candidate quality pre-scandal (because Moore was polling 20 points below what you'd expect, not just 10), and 10 from him being a pedophile. It makes sense that the swing came from undecideds rather than republicans but a swing is a swing.

Sure, but it's also important that it didn't actually cause any supporters to abandon him, tribal identity trumped all, it just encouraged people who already didn't like him to throw their support to the Democrat.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Chilichimp posted:

Ohio is a midwest red hell even though democrats are casting a majority of the votes. Gerrymandering must die.

Yeah, after PA got fixed up there's not TOO many states with especially grotesque congressional district lines. But goddamn Ohio sure is one of them. The northeast corner is particularly horrifying.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
All of northern ohio and franklin county is horrid.

Do images not work when uploaded now?

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 20, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

What have you fools done to the Western Reserve??? :whitewater:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

UCS Hellmaker posted:

You need to link to the image, not the imgur album

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I still sometimes grab the album link first. Imgur's not terribly intuitive, I think.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lycus posted:

I still sometimes grab the album link first. Imgur's not terribly intuitive, I think.

Imgur-uploader is a great FF extension. I assume there's versions for other browsers.

Right-click to upload an image to Imgur, link is automatically copied to the clipboard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

themrguy posted:

Man, the more I’m reading about Sherrod Brown the more I like him. Why does this guy not have a higher national profile? He kicks rear end, well as much as it’s possible for a non-Bernie senator to kick at least.

He hasn't been running for president for the entire time he's been in the senate unlike Cory Booker or Harris.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

themrguy posted:

He has a weird gravelly voice. He has also been focusing on getting reelecting before looking onto 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lol the mainland 9th district, only contiguous if you're a swimmer

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Wow.

https://twitter.com/PerryNBCBoston/status/1064666440526192640

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Why wow?

What's Moulton's background?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brony Car posted:

Why wow?

What's Moulton's background?

It's more the phrasing.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PerryNBCBoston/status/1064668023481671680

Lol this is the most transparent BS I've ever heard

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

With all the votes counted for the 2018 midterm election, Republicans have hit their lowest levels of congressional representation in California and New Jersey in modern history.

The California Congressional Delegation is 47D - 8R.

The New Jersey Congressional Delegation is 13D - 1R.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Seth Moulton is trash and the people who elected him are the most Panera Bread human garbage on Earth. loving North Shore.

Good to hear that he's getting his rear end kicked though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

With all the votes counted for the 2018 midterm election, Republicans have hit their lowest levels of congressional representation in California and New Jersey in modern history.

The California Congressional Delegation is 47D - 8R.

The New Jersey Congressional Delegation is 13D - 1R.

One to go..