Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Avengers is one of the least-exciting blockbusters I’ve ever seen, I could see Infinity War clearing that bar just by being bad instead of awful.

I assure you they are equally mediocre.

Gripweed posted:

I'm pretty sure they are literally darker than Marvel movies.

Nope.

The funny thing is that, like, just as a thought experiment, if you contrast titles, the DCEU have actually more consistently foregrounded optimism, whereas recent MCU movies have been preoccupied with cataclysm and apocalypse, even unending violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Thor Ragnarok was pretty fun. So was Spider-Man Homecoming. Other than those, I could take or leave just about all of em.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's literally identical.

Superhero movies, when they're good, are just science fiction movies. I like the resurgence of relatively 'hard' sci-fi, even if the tradeoff is a lot of bad Star Wars junk.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose people enjoy what they enjoy. I myself go to the cinema two or three times a year (this year has been a little different - I have been to the cinema five times this year) and I'll usually pick something that seems like it will be "good enough".

There are other options for adult-skewing "popcorn" movies - I'm thinking of stuff like Atomic Blonde or John Wick, arguably even Widows, which seems to me to be like a sort of thriller along the lines of The Fugitive that would've starred Harrison Ford or Mel Gibson 25 years ago - but they just don't seem to find the same audience. You know, people have said they want a Black Widow movie for years and years but then they didn't necessarily go to see Atomic Blonde or Red Sparrow. :shrug:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Coen Bros followed up a striking, fantastical drama about writers’ block with a movie about a man inventing hula hoops, and they followed up Blood Simple. with a goddamn apocalyptic screwball comedy about child abduction, Coen fans should be used to their tonal whiplash.

Yeah, it's to a point where it's interesting to see how they almost always follow up their darkest films with light entries. Fargo and Big Lebowski and Inside Llewyn Davis and Hail Caesar! also apply.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I assume Electronico6 is referring to Kurosawa never being as admired in Japan as he was (and is) in the West. Some critics and directors (Nagisa Oshima most notably) even accused him of deliberately pandering to the tastes of foreign audiences.

Incidentally, it's interesting to compare the BBC list with the 200 best Japanese films as selected by Kinema Junpo (Japan's oldest film magazine) readers as well as the 100 best Chinese films according to members of the Hong Kong Film Awards. The latter in particular is a good example of how films which are valued abroad may not always be the ones with the most acclaim domestically. In the Mood for Love doesn't show up until #91 for instance.

Edit: Too slow, but check out the links I posted anyway.

I know this comes down to personal preference but Japanese film always seems to be what cinephiles in the West flock to but Chinese film is just so vastly more interesting to me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man oh man was Avengers 3 not better than the other Avengers movie, so far it's the only Marvel movie bad enough to make me mad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I like the resurgence of relatively 'hard' sci-fi, even if the tradeoff is a lot of bad Star Wars junk.

I think Arrival doing well (I assume better than expected) will lead to some dope scifi movies before like three of them inevitably bomb horribly in a row and Hollywood mostly gives up on the genre for ten years or do.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

LesterGroans posted:

I'm not sure I agree 100% on your police work there, Lou.

Even if you do think it's an anomaly or not representative of the larger cinematic universe, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is just undeniably a good movie. It's not perfect movie, but someone's opinion of it is a real good way to tell if they just have a set opinion about Marvel movies and won't change it regardless of the actual movies' quality.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The only superhero movie I’ve seen for years was Thor: Ragnarok which was meant to be quite good. It was. I rather enjoyed it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Even if you do think it's an anomaly or not representative of the larger cinematic universe, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is just undeniably a good movie. It's not perfect movie, but someone's opinion of it is a real good way to tell if they just have a set opinion about Marvel movies and won't change it regardless of the actual movies' quality.

I hated GotG 2 but I liked Thor: Ragnarok and Venom quite a bit so I'm going to say your theory ain't ironclad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I like GoTG2 but this is a really weird take. Opinions of that movie, even with Marvel fans, is pretty mixed.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

axelblaze posted:

I think Arrival doing well (I assume better than expected) will lead to some dope scifi movies before like three of them inevitably bomb horribly in a row and Hollywood mostly gives up on the genre for ten years or do.

The studio did Annihilation dirty

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

axelblaze posted:

I like GoTG2 but this is a really weird take. Opinions of that movie, even with Marvel fans, is pretty mixed.

I'm sure there are legitimate movies to not like it, what I mean is if someone is just like, oh boy another mediocre Marvel movie, they're all literally the exact same, an unmemorable slurry of poo poo. If someone has that take, then that means they went in with an opinion and would not be moved.
GotG 2 was about something, it had a very clear theme that was reflected in the story and emotional arc and literally every character's backstory and arc through the movie. If you're gonna have a serious critical opinion about it, then you've gotta deal with that. You can't just say "lol Marvel movies suck"

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TrixRabbi posted:

I know this comes down to personal preference but Japanese film always seems to be what cinephiles in the West flock to but Chinese film is just so vastly more interesting to me.
I dunno, I think Chinese film since the 80s has been more well-curated for the West than non-anime Japanese film

axelblaze posted:

If it gets Shane Carruth enough funding to do another film, it'll all have been worth it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Would anyone be able to be point me to some academic feminist critiques on incels/MRAs?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Gripweed posted:

GotG 2 was about something, it had a very clear theme that was reflected in the story and emotional arc and literally every character's backstory and arc through the movie.

It was about lovely dads, right? There's a lot of better movies about lovely dads, especially in the sci-fi/action genre.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TrixRabbi posted:

It was about lovely dads, right? There's a lot of better movies about lovely dads, especially in the sci-fi/action genre.

More specifically about coming from an abused or neglectful family can gently caress up your abilities to form new relationships later. And the importance of knowing the difference between lovely relationships worth saving and toxic relationships you need to end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

Try and explain it then.

No

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I mostly liked GoTG2, but it felt like the movie was less than the sum of its parts.

I legitimately don't know what film people are talking about when they say "Avengers 3" because I'm pretty sure some of you are talking about Captain America: Civil War and some of you are talking about Avengers: Infinity War, but I'm not sure which are which.

Thor 3 is probably my favorite Marvel film. Though Dr. Strange has the best ending of any Marvel film.

These are my opinions on the MCU.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loved the MCU until it fired James Gunn. Now I will just watch up until Spider-Man 2 and call it a day.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The main thing I can say against GotG2 is there's an Adventure Time episode with basically the same plot but they managed to do it better in 15 minutes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Adventure Time sucks and is up its own rear end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

I loved the MCU until it fired James Gunn. Now I will just watch up until Spider-Man 2 and call it a day.

That's an odd hill to die on, but I respect your conviction. Do you think everyone being offered a job to be in any Marvel film from here on out should turn it down on principal? Are you going to boycott other films made by Disney?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

axelblaze posted:

The trick here is that with 'prestigious' sci-fi like Arrival, Blade Runner 2, Annihilation, etc., what we actually get is a load of 'uplifting' new-agey obscurantism where audiences are 'touched by the poetry' but don't really pay attention to why things are happening. It's vital to navigate through the trash to find something actually-good like Hardcore Henry, Ghost In the Shell, or Terminator 5. That's where the superhero movies trend can be useful.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Adventure Time sucks and is up its own rear end.

Nope

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just hate they shafted my second favorite director with a franchise I really enjoyed over something I find to be disgusting and scary.

I just don’t really care much about the films going forward. Maybe strange 2 might be another one, unless they get rid of the team from the first.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dunking on people for enjoying superhero movies is my least favorite part of the thread cycle

Or even worse, feigning inability to understand why people like them. I don't understand why a woman I work with enjoys Shinedown and Papa Roach but I don't pester her all night with questions about how she can enjoy what to me are incomprehensibly bad pieces of art. What's the point?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I used to love it but it took away everything I enjoyed about it.

Regular Show was better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

axelblaze posted:

The main thing I can say against GotG2 is there's an Adventure Time episode with basically the same plot but they managed to do it better in 15 minutes

They both did the story a guy finding his birth father and having to deal with the fact that he was a piece of poo poo. But GotG put a lot more focus on how that kind of thing effects you later in life, which I think is a lot more interesting

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

They both did the story a guy finding his birth father and having to deal with the fact that he was a piece of poo poo. But GotG put a lot more focus on how that kind of thing effects you later in life, which I think is a lot more interesting

Empire Strikes Back is over in the corner waving its hand. I'd say both hands, but, you know...

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CelticPredator posted:

I used to love it but it took away everything I enjoyed about it.

Regular Show was better.

What I saw of Regular Show was good, but it could get repetitive at points, the second season alone had 3 different episodes that featured a character coming to the park and replacing one of the main characters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It does yeah. But I think given the two, I stuck it out with RS because it never took away what was appealing about it in the first place.

The stuff with Mordicai’s girlfriend was kinda dire but had a good ending.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Skwirl posted:

Empire Strikes Back is over in the corner waving its hand. I'd say both hands, but, you know...

Luke believed his dad was dead. The discovery that his father was alive and that his father was a piece of poo poo were a singular event. And it didn't actually conflict with what he knew about his father before. Which is a significantly different arc than Finn and Peter, who didn't know anything about their dads and actively wanted to find them, found them, and only afterwards discovered that they were a piece of poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

The issue with comic book movies and prestige sci-fi is precisely this. You've got a movie about a sentient planet, but it 'boils down to' the story of an alcoholic dad. So why the did anyone even bother with all this special effects stuff?

This is where you get the CPL temptation to say "watch an actual relationship drama for christs sake!" I'd like a movie that's actually about the sentient planet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For me Adventure Time was just a show that somehow always did what it wanted. It didn't always work but I never found it bad and the creativity was always there, it's just the tone shifted as Finn got older. I know at times it was more of a series of animated indie shorts but I hope I at least still have enough of a presence on these forums for y'all to know why that would heavily appeal to me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

axelblaze posted:

For me Adventure Time was just a show that somehow always did what it wanted. It didn't always work but I never found it bad and the creativity was always there, it's just the tone shifted as Finn got older. I know at times it was more of a series of animated indie shorts but I hope I at least still have enough of a presence on these forums for y'all to know why that would heavily appeal to me

I stopped watching after the episode where Finn got raped

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not attacking you. I just didn’t like it after a while.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also I realized you probably thought I was talking about Finn when I said they did the same story but no Jake also had a lovely dad, but there he was literally a long living alien that lures Jake in with a planet he controls in order to get his power to extend his life. I do agree that didn't have much to do with the long term effects that would have (because Jake didn't know he was adopted at all) but a metric ton of Finn's stuff is him dealing with having no strong family unit and dealing with not knowing who either of his real parent are.

Gripweed posted:

I stopped watching after the episode where Finn got raped

People really need to stop using rape to describe things that are not rape. He made out with a girl that was more into him than he was into her. She didn't force him, he was just in a bad place and trying to get over it by just making out with people.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not attacking you. I just didn’t like it after a while.

I don't know where I'm coming off like I think you're attacking me? I'm just saying why I liked the show. You assume I'm hostile oddly often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

axelblaze posted:

Adventure Time put writing power back into storyboard artists and the animators and helped revitalize the monotonous streak animation was headed down. It remembered that animation allows for so much expression and humor and depth that had been ignored by mainstream USA cartoons for about a decade. That show was so colorful and creative that it's amazing it made Cartoon Network the cartoon channel after Nickelodeon owned that title since the Klasky-Csupo days.

It sucks that it created an embarrassing fandom and pale imitations, but that's true with anything so whatever.

Regular Show was okay, but I never needed a stoner cartoon about two slackers that like video games with a fan-base exactly like it's protagonists. If it shed that identity or ever evolved to be more than that, like Adventure Time did, it never kept my attention long enough to find out. Other shows already did the stoner slacker concept better, and those didn't have to appeal their language and humor to tweenagers.