Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I actually managed to get a couple grand squirreled away earlier this year.

Then my wife got run off the road in a hit-and-run and we had to buy a replacement car. I no longer have that couple of grand, but instead have even more debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Your Taint posted:

So here are the new *ahem* "rules" for WH pressers. They're pretty much "you get one question, two if we like you, and you sit down and shut up when told."

https://twitter.com/elianayjohnson/status/1064629464427048966

Not mentioned: if questions will be answered

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah these are hilariously draconian rules and it'll be really fun to see the White House try to enforce them

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1064628751059902464

Asking a follow-up without permission? PRESS PASS REVOKED

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Tibalt posted:

Who the hell has a year's salary in savings. That's stupid. Unless they're counting assets like stocks and a 401K which is loving stupid.

I signed my life away to the US Army twice and have about six months in savings, with a few thousand in checking that I budget for.

And I consider myself fortunate AND stupid. Like stated above, most people are a major expense away from the debt cycle, and the fact that you have some six-figure suckup saying 'lol you should have a years wages just sitting around you poor' is proof positive that some bubbles need bursting.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Is there any evidence that Putingate is worth even a point or two with voters. At all.

E:lol

Healthcare is at 6%, same as "unifying the country." Are you going to argue that Dems should spend as much time pushing for compromise and bipartisanship as they should for universal healthcare?

The Mueller investigation not being the most important thing doesn't preclude it from being important.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Trabisnikof posted:

Probably ~30% of the Republican base actively prefer that Trump is a "criminal" because the elites hate it and anything that makes the elites mad is a good thing in their eyes.

I would suggest it has nothing to do with elites. It's basic authoritarian psychology, they get off on displays of dominance and power on their behalf.

They LIKE the fact that Trump is flagrantly breaking the law and doing whatever the gently caress he pleases and enriches himself. It gets them off, same as the idea that a small minority (themselves) can smash whoever and whatever they please.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

I think this is extremely optimistic, and assumes that most people are like ideological leftists - i.e. at least attempting to have some kind of coherent opinions - rather than simply too busy or too disinterested to follow politics and forming their opinions based on what they hear and what their peers/loved ones think. I think you could credibly argue that it wouldn't work as well on Bernie, given the recent example of Obama - who was viciously demonized as Hillary was but none of the scandals really stuck in the same way - but I don't think you can credibly argue it "wouldn't do a drat thing."

Obama was attacked for 10 years. Hillary was attacked for 30.

In 2017, after 8/9 years of nonstop demonization, Obamas approval ratings were at 59%. In 2001, after 8/9 years of nonstop demonization, Hillary had an approval rating of 60%.

None of the scandals about Hillary stuck. At first. But the drumbeat just continued, year in, year out, until it became a part of mass consciousness. That's how a smear loving WORKS. You don't just start screaming some insane poo poo about someone respected and watch their reputation crumble overnight. You just repeat it long and often enough, and eventually, people will notice they keep hearing about this corruption thing in relation to a person, and there must be something to that.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Rigel posted:

This opinion is very dumb and wrong. I have never seen the media (rightfully) be more aggressively combative with a president and his administration in my life. They pretty much declared war on Trump soon after he was inaugurated when it became clear he was going to attack the media, and they have not let up.

This is only half true at best.

How many stories were run where Trump “finally became president”?

How many times did we get in depth coverage of loving rear end in a top hat fascist Trump supporters to let us get to know the Nazis next door that aren’t so different?

What about Trump getting fellated for dripping the biggest bombs? Or the repeated touting of “good” economic numbers that get uncritically blasted out?

What about the fact that Trump has clearly been (stupidly) running a criminal money laundering empire, but is never framed as being an actual criminal? Divisive, bombastic, a bully, maybe even a racist if they’re feeling spicy, but not a criminal.

I don’t think they’re even being half as hard on Trump as they were on Obama.

This also factors into downticket people as well. Trump surrogates are given far more space to spout their bullshit than Obama’s people were.

The fact that you are framing tepid criticism as the media “declaring war with Trump” is as much a failure of American journalism as it is a sobering look at how effective RWM propaganda is at seeping into the mainstream narrative.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

LMAO they saw the Bart Simpson joke about Skinner being a millionaire and straight used it as the basis of the article.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Trump was right as far as that ~30% goes, he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th avenue and they'd still love him.

Probably more depending on who it was

Lemming posted:

Healthcare is at 6%, same as "unifying the country." Are you going to argue that Dems should spend as much time pushing for compromise and bipartisanship as they should for universal healthcare?

The Mueller investigation not being the most important thing doesn't preclude it from being important.

Well unifying the country can mean a lot of things because it was an open-ended question, it can mean calling out racism and anti-immigrant sentiment and homophobia presumably. Or from Republicans it could mean Democrats need to just give in to everything we want. So no absent more information about what this means I wouldn't say that, unlike stumping for better healthcare which everyone wants.

But if they're going to go by a strict ratio, sure I think they should mention healthcare approximately [ERROR:divby0!] times more than RussiaRussiaRussia.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 19, 2018

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Lemming posted:

Famous non-economic problem Healthcare? How? Who framed this pile of poo poo?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

eke out posted:

yeah these are hilariously draconian rules and it'll be really fun to see the White House try to enforce them

This is some loving grade school poo poo.

Just boycott the Press Conferences at this point; this is a new level of pathetic

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

You can use polling data to show that racism is a big motivator for his voters though...

Yeah, and you can show through polling that a non zero percentage of Republicans approve of the Mueller investigation and that not all Republicans showed up to vote.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lemming posted:

this is such a low-effort post from vitalsigns, all he could find was a "Situation with Russia" reference? not even that one exit poll showing ONLY 40something percent approve of Mueller? what happened to the proud shitposter from the old trump thread

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
LOL at using data that says "what is the most important problem" to determine if voters care about something *at all*, and also finding a survey that has healthcare listed that low in importance.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Probably more depending on who it was

Well unifying the country can mean a lot of things because it was an open-ended question, it can mean calling out racism and anti-immigrant sentiment and homophobia presumably. Or from Republicans it could mean Democrats need to just give in to everything we want. So no absent more information about what this means I wouldn't say that, unlike stumping for better healthcare which everyone wants.

But if they're going to go by a strict ratio, sure I think they should mention healthcare a [ERROR:divby0!] times more than RussiaRussiaRussia.

Interesting that you interpret the poll oppositely depending on what conclusion you want to come to. What a surprise that's coming from someone who thinks that Trump didn't commit any crimes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty sure that those ‘you should have saved a year’s salary by the time you are x age’ things assume perfect employment (full time) and no major life events or something because they are ridiculous

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Rigel posted:

This opinion is very dumb and wrong. I have never seen the media (rightfully) be more aggressively combative with a president and his administration in my life. They pretty much declared war on Trump soon after he was inaugurated when it became clear he was going to attack the media, and they have not let up.
It's hard to reconcile this take with the reality that Maggie Haberman exists and draws a paycheck from the New York Times, the putative paper of record in the US.

They call him out for his lovely personality, but they pushed back harder on the ACA in the form of "death panels" and other BS, than they did even with loving concentration camps on American soil. They're pushing back on the parts that capital doesn't like (i.e. embarrassing the GOP) - they don't give a gently caress about most anything else.

I guess what I'm saying is that they're in the tank for the GOP, and by extension Trump to the extent he's tied to the GOP. And with every day that passes, he is tied more closely to the GOP. You're in liberal la-la land if you don't recognize the work the national media is doing to normalize Trump.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

Those are two separate arguments from your original contention, that Trump's criminality is lowering his voter turnout.

Lemming posted:

Yeah, and you can show through polling that a non zero percentage of Republicans approve of the Mueller investigation and that not all Republicans showed up to vote.

Yeah, and unless you can through show polling that they didn't turn out specifically because of Trump's criminality or the Mueller investigation, that's just correlation not causation.

Without that piece of data the polling can't back up the claim.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My savings and my retirement in my late 20s consisted of me hoping I died early.

Now that I'm in my 90s I regret that.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaxyon posted:

LOL at using data that says "what is the most important problem" to determine if voters care about something *at all*, and also finding a survey that has healthcare listed that low in importance.

Yeah, I mean by that standard, guess we shouldn't do anything about wealth inequality, either! Or climate change!

osker posted:

LMAO they saw the Bart Simpson joke about Skinner being a millionaire and straight used it as the basis of the article.

It's genuinely amazing to see a 29-year-old freshman Congresswoman being held to a higher level of financial scrutiny than the President of the United States.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just wish retirement savings accrued interest according to rates of subjective time

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Tibalt posted:

Who the hell has a year's salary in savings. That's stupid. Unless they're counting assets like stocks and a 401K which is loving stupid.

Every time some dumbfuck “investor” tells me I need to have “X” amount of money stored away by age “Y” I want to scream.

Yeah my dude let me just buy a trailer 60 miles away from my workplace and commute the gently caress in for 2 hours every day, that’s the good life right there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

RasperFat posted:

The fact that you are framing tepid criticism as the media “declaring war with Trump” is as much a failure of American journalism as it is a sobering look at how effective RWM propaganda is at seeping into the mainstream narrative.

The media's hack work is so much more pervasive then just "Trump bad but GOP good"

Like for instance the Tea Party takeover was just the 2010 GOP getting back to their grassroots, but a much less left shift in the 2018 Dems is being portrayed as the leadership protecting their party from a dangerous fringe.

There's all kinds of crap like that. This country is in a bad spot because our political system failed, but it failed because our media went to utter poo poo and ignored the obvious.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, and unless you can through show polling that they didn't turn out specifically because of Trump's criminality or the Mueller investigation, that's just correlation not causation.

it's almost like this is a really stupid argument because the data any of you would need to prove your point doesn't exist

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cbudoffbrown/status/1064630065185599488

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1064635334275809285

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

No one cares about the Russia thing right now because there's been nothing to care about for a few months since Mueller's team wasn't gonna make waves close to the election. People will care about it once we have criminal findings and not before.

This is not that hard.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

How is that in any way not a massive breach of the fifth?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

The caravan has been destroyed! :patriot: All hail the president, protector of ‘Murica!

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

eke out posted:

As another data point Rigel to the several you've already been given: if the WH Press Corps accepts these restrictions on their jobs as journalists, they are partly ceding their role in our political process to the Trump administration.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

As another data point Rigel to the several you've already been given: if the WH Press Corps accepts these restrictions on their jobs as journalists, they are partly ceding their role in our political process to the Trump administration.
Their role is to make money for their bosses.

Forget that at your own risk.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TulliusCicero posted:

This is some loving grade school poo poo.

Just boycott the Press Conferences at this point; this is a new level of pathetic

That is what they want :ssh:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Fulchrum posted:

How is that in any way not a massive breach of the fifth?

There isn't a ton to the story right now

quote:

In internal communication filed as part of discovery for a California case over the citizenship census question, Trump administration officials suggested the possibility of “renewed debate” over protections that keep census answers confidential and sharing them with law enforcement and national security agencies.
This is a developing story. It will be updated.

It could just be idiots throwing around ideas and then getting shut down by people with legal knowledge. Or it could have been a major internal effort to make it shareable with ICE. Hard to say until there is more info

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

I asked for better data before I started looking on my own, if you have any please share.

I was frankly surprised it was that low, I figured there was some constituency for omg!Russia beyond idk Gallup happening to sample forumsposter Jarmak once every couple of quarters.

E: And that survey doesn't show healthcare is a low-priority issue, it ranks third! Come on man.

Lemming posted:

Interesting that you interpret the poll oppositely depending on what conclusion you want to come to. What a surprise that's coming from someone who thinks that Trump didn't commit any crimes.

I didn't say Trump didn't commit any crimes nor do I think that. My position is obviously that it's not much of a vote-getter if it's even one at all, not that Trump is innocent. Lol at you criticizing me for thinking critically about the poll, feel free to support your own conclusions with like anything at all.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 19, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

It's hard to reconcile this take with the reality that Maggie Haberman exists and draws a paycheck from the New York Times, the putative paper of record in the US.

They call him out for his lovely personality, but they pushed back harder on the ACA in the form of "death panels" and other BS, than they did even with loving concentration camps on American soil. They're pushing back on the parts that capital doesn't like (i.e. embarrassing the GOP) - they don't give a gently caress about most anything else.

I guess what I'm saying is that they're in the tank for the GOP, and by extension Trump to the extent he's tied to the GOP. And with every day that passes, he is tied more closely to the GOP. You're in liberal la-la land if you don't recognize the work the national media is doing to normalize Trump.

I don't know what you are reading, but you are simply incorrect. The pre-2016 media was doing the typical horserace narrative where each party is kinda-sorta sane. Post 2016, the Media has been smashing back at Trump hard, repeatedly, for nearly the entire 2 years. The media smacked back so hard on family separation that they caved almost immediately.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Their role is to make money for their bosses.

Forget that at your own risk.
I mean their theoretical role according to the Sorkin-esque fantasies succlibs read stories about to their children before bed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Guess what time it is?

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1064636637903241222

Thought and Prayer time

Normal loving country, smh

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Those are two separate arguments from your original contention, that Trump's criminality is lowering his voter turnout.

I admit it's tough to find information confirming this definitively. It seems pretty evident to me considering we just had the biggest wave election since Nixon. If you're going to argue you can't come to his conclusion, however, would you make this point to the people who adamantly insist it has no impact at all, because they're making conjectures with a similar lack of evidence? Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Your Taint posted:

So here are the new *ahem* "rules" for WH pressers. They're pretty much "you get one question, two if we like you, and you sit down and shut up when told."

https://twitter.com/elianayjohnson/status/1064629464427048966

I hope everyone in the gallery who isn't licking the administration's boots passes their question to Acosta when he returns. :allears: