Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

axelblaze posted:

Also I realized you probably thought I was talking about Finn when I said they did the same story but no Jake also had a lovely dad, but there he was literally a long living alien that lures Jake in with a planet he controls in order to get his power to extend his life. I do agree that didn't have much to do with the long term effects that would have (because Jake didn't know he was adopted at all) but a metric ton of Finn's stuff is him dealing with having no strong family unit and dealing with not knowing who either of his real parent are.

Oh, I didn't see that one

axelblaze posted:

People really need to stop using rape to describe things that are not rape. He made out with a girl that was more into him than he was into her. She didn't force him, he was just in a bad place and trying to get over it by just making out with people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYCKHlv1S3Y

Yeah, that's not an actual on-screen rape. But it's very clearly a romantic encounter Finn was extremely uncomfortable with. It was a bad thing to put in the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Would anyone be able to be point me to some academic feminist critiques on incels/MRAs?

I like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2briZ6fB0

CelticPredator posted:

I loved the MCU until it fired James Gunn. Now I will just watch up until Spider-Man 2 and call it a day.

"I'm so outraged I'm totally boycotting this poo poo after I watch six to eight more of these!"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The issue with comic book movies and prestige sci-fi is precisely this. You've got a movie about a sentient planet, but it 'boils down to' the story of an alcoholic dad. So why the did anyone even bother with all this special effects stuff?

This is where you get the CPL temptation to say "watch an actual relationship drama for christs sake!" I'd like a movie that's actually about the sentient planet.

I would also watch a movie with wacky far out sci-fi concepts like that if it wasn't a carbon copy of like two or three dozen movies we already have.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

axelblaze posted:

I don't know where I'm coming off like I think you're attacking me? I'm just saying why I liked the show. You assume I'm hostile oddly often.

quote:

I know at times it was more of a series of animated indie shorts but I hope I at least still have enough of a presence on these forums for y'all to know why that would heavily appeal to me

I don’t know why you think I was thinking you were hostile. You were just being defensive.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Franchescanado posted:

Adventure Time put writing power back into storyboard artists and the animators and helped revitalize the monotonous streak animation was headed down. It remembered that animation allows for so much expression and humor and depth that had been ignored by mainstream USA cartoons for about a decade. That show was so colorful and creative that it's amazing it made Cartoon Network the cartoon channel after Nickelodeon owned that title since the Klasky-Csupo days.

It sucks that it created an embarrassing fandom and pale imitations, but that's true with anything so whatever.

I haven't seen a lot of Adventure Time but I've enjoyed most of what I have seen of it.

I'm not really a big cartoon person but I like that sort of thing better than a lot of the the sort of "faux anime" or "realistic" stuff (I suppose stuff like the DC animated movies) that loads of people seem really attached to (like how people still go off on Teen Titans Go for not being original Teen Titans). It reminds me more of the Looney Tunes stuff I liked when I was little. My view is usually that if you're going out of your way to make your cartoon look "realistic" and just not do anything very "cartoony" with it, you might as well have just done it live action. :shrug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, that's not an actual on-screen rape. But it's very clearly a romantic encounter Finn was extremely uncomfortable with. It was a bad thing to put in the show

Bro I grew up with Cory trying to gently caress Topanga after finding out his best friend Shawn had a girl spend the night. Topanga and Cory almost broke up because he couldn't fully understand consent. Then it turns out Shawn wasn't sleeping with the girl, she was hiding from her father who liked to give her black eyes when he got drunk. But it's cool, the dad gets arrested by child services, the girl moves to a farm and Cory and Topanga make out listening to the Boy Meets World equivalent to Barney while Shawn is left sad and alone.

And that was on the ABC / Disney channel.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know why you think I was thinking you were hostile. You were just being defensive.

That's not being defensive, that's alluding to his interest in animation and short films, which might not be well-known by everyone.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

The issue with comic book movies and prestige sci-fi is precisely this. You've got a movie about a sentient planet, but it 'boils down to' the story of an alcoholic dad. So why the did anyone even bother with all this special effects stuff?

This is where you get the CPL temptation to say "watch an actual relationship drama for christs sake!" I'd like a movie that's actually about the sentient planet.

The special effects can communicate the same idea in a different way. Like, the fight between Gamora and Nebula is a fun action scene. It's also a fight between two siblings based on emotions that I think most people who have a sibling understand. I've never flown a spaceship into my brother. There have been times where if I had a spaceship I would've seriously considered it.

If that scene had been an actual argument between two human siblings, maybe I would've related to it as much, maybe not. Probably depends on the specifics, what they were arguing about or something. But by making it a larger than life sci-fi spectacle, it has a certain universality.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Is No Escape (aka Escape from Absolom) as good as ten year old me remembers or has the twenty-year gap made it seem better than it actually was?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen a lot of Adventure Time but I've enjoyed most of what I have seen of it.

I'm not really a big cartoon person but I like that sort of thing better than a lot of the the sort of "faux anime" or "realistic" stuff (I suppose stuff like the DC animated movies) that loads of people seem really attached to (like how people still go off on Teen Titans Go for not being original Teen Titans). It reminds me more of the Looney Tunes stuff I liked when I was little. My view is usually that if you're going out of your way to make your cartoon look "realistic" and just not do anything very "cartoony" with it, you might as well have just done it live action. :shrug:

Oh man, I love animation.

I agree with most of your points, too. But there are good examples of "realism" being important to animation, usually to balance or ground the more fantastical aspects. For instance, the whale in Pinocchio wouldn't be a well-known moment of horrific imagery if it weren't "realistic". Or the fantastical world of Studio Ghibli's Spirited Away wouldn't be as fantastical if it weren't for the constant realistic movements of it's main character surrounded by crazy monsters.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Thanks for the recommendation. Though I was looking for reports in text form. I got a final paper I gotta start and finish this week about a biological theory in sex crimes. I'm going the feminist theory. I figure incels could eat a thousand words alone, but I need to cite some academic sources.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

idk about anything else but the patrick wilson look is epic

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alris posted:

Is No Escape (aka Escape from Absolom) as good as ten year old me remembers or has the twenty-year gap made it seem better than it actually was?

Family Guy made a joke about it, so it's probably decent.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm not even sure if the incel phenomenon has been around long enough for any big peer reviewed research studies to get published yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm not even sure if the incel phenomenon has been around long enough for any big peer reviewed research studies to get published yet.

I think it's an evolution of Ladder theory, there might be papers on that.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Detective No. 27 posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. Though I was looking for reports in text form. I got a final paper I gotta start and finish this week about a biological theory in sex crimes. I'm going the feminist theory. I figure incels could eat a thousand words alone, but I need to cite some academic sources.

Cite the SVU incel episode

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

"That's why God invented hookers"

I'm convinced Ice T ad libbed that line

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Alris posted:

Yes

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

The special effects can communicate the same idea in a different way. Like, the fight between Gamora and Nebula is a fun action scene. It's also a fight between two siblings based on emotions that I think most people who have a sibling understand. I've never flown a spaceship into my brother. There have been times where if I had a spaceship I would've seriously considered it.

If that scene had been an actual argument between two human siblings, maybe I would've related to it as much, maybe not. Probably depends on the specifics, what they were arguing about or something. But by making it a larger than life sci-fi spectacle, it has a certain universality.

But that leads us back to the distinction between sci-fi and fantasy. Sci-fi happens when you ask why you have a spaceship, how did you get the spaceship, what are the social and economic conditions of this future world that led you to think you to think space-murder is a good idea, etc.

Since you aren’t doing that, the film remains a fantasy of consequence-free violence, children fighting over toys.

Aliens using bizarre experimental technologies to ‘humanize’ animals, giving them language: cool.

It’s a metaphor for Brad Cooper’s low self-esteem: no.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I feel like the bar is low when "well, this Marvel movie actually has themes" is justification for calling it objectively good.

The list of movies about your parents or lack thereof loving you up is endless.

edit: This is the entirety of the Venture Bros for one, to bring a different animated series into the discussion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

"That's why God invented hookers"

I'm convinced Ice T ad libbed that line

Ice T's crowning moment in SVU is the first-person shooter episode, where he's explaining to everyone what terms like "newbs" mean. He's such a video game dork that I'm convinced whoever wrote the episode just had Ice write Fin's dialogue for it.

Also, sweet Jesus. I step away from my computer for most of the day, come back, see 175 new posts, "Holy poo poo, did someone loving die?"

:yikes:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

But that leads us back to the distinction between sci-fi and fantasy. Sci-fi happens when you ask why you have a spaceship, how did you get the spaceship, what are the social and economic conditions of this future world that led you to think you to think space-murder is a good idea, etc.

Since you aren’t doing that, the film remains a fantasy of consequence-free violence, children fighting over toys.

Aliens using bizarre experimental technologies to ‘humanize’ animals, giving them language: cool.

It’s a metaphor for Brad Cooper’s low self-esteem: no.

Guardians of the Galaxy never claimed to be a hard sci-fi franchise though. Hard sci-fi is good, and there should be more of it, but it's not like there was ever a lot of it. GotG2 didn't take a slot that would've been filled by a Blindsight adaptation or something. Hard sci-fi is always gonna be a niche compared to soft sci-fi action.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

I feel like the bar is low when "well, this Marvel movie actually has themes" is justification for calling it objectively good.

The list of movies about your parents or lack thereof loving you up is endless.

edit: This is the entirety of the Venture Bros for one, to bring a different animated series into the discussion.

Yeah, this really has become the theme way over the early stated one of "failure". It was honestly kind of funny to see the VB community slowly realize that maybe the show had moved on from that theme and maybe they should stop using it as the catch all answer to every episode

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Any of you movie makers have any experience with Davinci Resolve? I lost my flash drive with Extremely Legitimate copies of Major Video Editing And VFX software and it seems like a pretty good solution for the low low cost of free.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I don't even know if Venture Brothers counts as a TV show. TV shows have schedules. Venture Brothers is a thing you remember every couple years and check and sometimes there's another couple hours of it available, sometimes not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

You've got to go the website "Incel Message Board" on the "darkweb" and talk to "Phalluspower".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I don't even know if Venture Brothers counts as a TV show. TV shows have schedules. Venture Brothers is a thing you remember every couple years and check and sometimes there's another couple hours of it available, sometimes not.

That's most cartoons nerds salivate about. See also Rick and Morty.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Hey at least this cycle we also got a really amazing artbook! That almost makes up for the fact that it'll probably be at least 3 years until we get any more!

:negative:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skwirl posted:

The issue is probably finding them rather than their actual cost. I have a couple of old rear end cameras but no one is willing to pay what the bare minimum for me would be to bother listing them on ebay.

Out of curiosity what sort of cameras are these and what is the bare minimum?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Also I gotta say it, The Good Place easily has better world-building than most scifi movies

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Hey, who was asking about characters that are talked about a lot and take awhile to be seen, Wheat Loaf? I got one for ya: Angel Heart

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

axelblaze posted:

Yeah, this really has become the theme way over the early stated one of "failure". It was honestly kind of funny to see the VB community slowly realize that maybe the show had moved on from that theme and maybe they should stop using it as the catch all answer to every episode

It's also just weird how the creators said they used Failure as an overarching theme and everyone just seized on that like it made them smart for recognizing the thing the creators explicitly said they intended.

Like, even if the show is about failure what is it saying about failure. Does failure mean you'll never be happy or that you'll never move forward and find little success amid the grander inability to reach your full potential? Mind you I'm not fully caught up yet but working through it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Any of you movie makers have any experience with Davinci Resolve? I lost my flash drive with Extremely Legitimate copies of Major Video Editing And VFX software and it seems like a pretty good solution for the low low cost of free.

It's not terrible at all. The interface takes some getting used to, but at the end of the day, all NLEs basically do the same thing, they just have different workflows.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gripweed posted:

Clearly you have never followed any UK TV series

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy never claimed to be a hard sci-fi franchise though. Hard sci-fi is good, and there should be more of it, but it's not like there was ever a lot of it. GotG2 didn't take a slot that would've been filled by a Blindsight adaptation or something. Hard sci-fi is always gonna be a niche compared to soft sci-fi action.

Sci-fi is not a quality of a film; it’s an approach, a choice on your part. All films can be read as sci-fi.

For example, The Godfather is set in a dystopian alternate universe where the Corleone family wasn’t fictional, so the book wasn’t written, Coppola’s career was totally different, and Nicholas Coppola never became Nicholas Cage.

Guardians Of The Galaxy can (I would say must) be read as sci-fi, but it’s also simply not worthwhile to do so. Because it si about a sentient planet. Who named him ‘Ego’? Is this alien name a coincidence, or is he aware of the concept of egoism?

Like nobody says Hardcore Henry is great because Henry comes to terms with his mother’s death at the hands of his great-uncle or something. It’s great because the whole movie takes place inside a robocop’s eyeball.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
GotG2 is almost as bad as Age of Ultron.

Still can’t believe their big bad was an entire sentient planet and the best they could come up with for the final action setpiece was “a humanoid, but large.”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pirate Jet posted:

GotG2 is almost as bad as Age of Ultron.

Still can’t believe their big bad was an entire sentient planet and the best they could come up with for the final action setpiece was “a humanoid, but large.”

Much like Catch Me If You Can, it's Daddy Issues: The Movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hey, who was asking about characters that are talked about a lot and take awhile to be seen, Wheat Loaf? I got one for ya: Angel Heart

Yeah, that was me, thanks. I've heard about that one - isn't that the one that got paragon of family values and moral virtue Bill Cosby so incensed he sacked the female lead from his show?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Out of curiosity what sort of cameras are these and what is the bare minimum?

5d mark 2
1500 dollars body only no lenses and maybe on battery or charger.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DSLR's are the poo poo and I don't know if I want to go back honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ezra Miller would be a good Buster Keaton if they ever did a biopic.