Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lemming posted:

The solution is to hold Trump accountable and make that behavior unacceptable so we can hold our government accountable when they do it to other countries.

No one cares, though. America doesn't care about us blowing little kids into bits or starving them out by the millions, you think they're suddenly gonna care about foreign election meddling? You can't honestly believe that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

My dude the US does that and more to foreign countries all the drat time.

I'm not saying it's okay, I'm saying it's not okay but the national security Dems' complaints about it ring hollow because they do the exact same thing and aren't at all interested in grappling with that or rejecting election-meddling generally, they're only mad that someone did it to them and people see that. In fact Trump exploits this, whenever anyone criticizes Putin he says "well the US does bad things too" and he's right. Does that mean it's okay for him to be Putin's friend no! but it effectively discredits his accusers because they love dictators too and aren't coming from a place of moral conviction.

You do understand that the example Trump gives is Obama supporting Nethanyahu's opponent openly, right? That's the false equivalence hill you want to die on here?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No one cares, though. America doesn't care about us blowing little kids into bits or starving them out by the millions, you think they're suddenly gonna care about foreign election meddling? You can't honestly believe that.

"America doesn't care about bombings happening in the middle east, you really think they're gonna care if a couple of planes get flown into some buildings in New York?"

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 19, 2018

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

If nothing matters and nothing ever gets better or will ever change then we should all just give up and nuke ourselves.

Yeah, things are bad right now. The entire point is that we should be working to improve them. If you think there's no reason to do anything why are you even following politics at all?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

they care if its happening in their country with people in power. sorry to tell, but sadly your average american citizen doesn't know jack poo poo about the horrors of proxy wars and american interventionism and never have. thats sadly a hell of alot different then the president being outted as a giant criminal monster however would be noticed by your average citizen. that hosed nixon, it will gently caress trump.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Out of curiosity who is saying this? Like I've never heard the "Russia literally hacked the machines and changed votes to Trump" from anyone except RW people claiming that's what Democrats are arguing. And maybe the lunatics likes Mensch.

VitalSigns and co are so dug in on this issue they refuse to ever acknowledge that the strongest claim their thread-opponents are making is "We have reason to think that the sum total of all Russian influence operations may have affected the elections, and we don't know to what extent, so it's good that an investigation is happening."

It's very important that they keep claiming everyone they disagree with believes in Menschian conspiracies, or that we're all claiming that memes about Bernie pushed by trolls are why Hillary lost, or that we are #resistance cop-lovers that all want to welcome Mueller into the Democratic Party, etc, because we're fundamentally making very moderate claims that're hard to dismiss unless you pretend otherwise.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lemming posted:

If nothing matters and nothing ever gets better or will ever change then we should all just give up and nuke ourselves.

Yeah, things are bad right now. The entire point is that we should be working to improve them. If you think there's no reason to do anything why are you even following politics at all?

I can't stop a hurricane but I need to see when and in what direction it's coming from to prepare myself.

Also I'm cautioning you against wishful thinking, things can get better (but the odds get longer every day)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they care if its happening in their country with people in power. sorry to tell, but sadly your average american citizen doesn't know jack poo poo about the horrors of proxy wars and american interventionism.

Yeah and when you explain it to them they say "who gives a poo poo?"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I can't stop a hurricane but I need to see when and in what direction it's coming from to prepare myself.

Also I'm cautioning you against wishful thinking, things can get better (but the odds get longer every day)

We just had one of the most historic wave elections in history less than 2 weeks ago.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rigel posted:

You are cherry-picking little stupid isolated incidents where one or more members of the media did or said something stupid and bad. That does not prove your point at all.

Step back and look at the big picture: the media (outside of FOX News of course) has been EXTREMELY hostile to Trump. Its breathtaking, really when you consider this and then look back to Obama, GWB, Clinton, etc and what it was like then. Its night and day, and if you can't see that, then you are either very young, or you are in some kind of depressing echo chamber.

The media is incredibly kind and docile to Trump considering the amount of poo poo that he and his administration could be hammered on every single day.

You're comparing their coverage of him compared to past presidents as if those presidents and actions are equal, but they're not, not at all.

I.E. Bushisms vs pretty much any time Trump opens his mouth.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

they usualy make sad noises and want to change the subject. what i am saying is, the president being a massive criminal will matter more then a drone blowing up a wedding. it sucks but its true. we just swept that house and may possibly bring the senate to a dead even. i am pretty sure people are mad at trump and the GOP.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lemming posted:

The solution is to hold Trump accountable and make that behavior unacceptable so we can hold our government accountable when they do it to other countries. Someone doing a bad thing doesn't mean we should excuse someone else doing the bad thing. In fact, it's the opposite!

Right but most Democratic politicians and pundits are uninterested in holding our government accountable when they do it to other countries, which is part of the PR problem imo, that they are obviously huge hypocrites who are only mad about hacking and meddling when other countries are doing it to them.

Like I agree that holding Trump and only Trump accountable is better than nothing because election interference is bad, even though we all know that none of these folks have discovered a moral compass or will ever apply that standard to themselves, but I'm not the person that needs to be convinced and I don't think being huge hypocrites on this issue is going to be very effective at convincing anyone who isn't already looking for a reason to hate Trump (much like Benghazi didn't do anything to convince anyone who didn't already hate Obama in 2012 because Republicans were such obvious hypocrites and their own investigation showed the underfunded security was their fault in the first place)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

We just had one of the most historic wave elections in history less than 2 weeks ago.

a) It was primarily worthless Obama-style New Dems
b) Our system of government kneecaps them
c) they deliberately kneecap themselves

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they usualy make sad noises and want to change the subject. what i am saying is, the president being a massive criminal will matter more then a drone blowing up a wedding. it sucks but its true. we just swept that house and may possibly bring the senate to a dead even. i am pretty sure people are mad at trump and the GOP.

Sorry, I think our wires got crossed, I'm mocking the idea of Americans ever giving a poo poo that their government interfered in foreign elections. Also deflection and changing the subject absolutely is "who gives a poo poo" without actually wanting to reveal their moral vacuousness.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't care how 'hostile to trump' the media is when they're constantly bringing on right wing idiots to give their opinion or, even worse, right wing idiots to get good boy points by saying 'mmm yes Trump was very rude....even though I agree with his political agenda entirely'. The media is a servant of the status quo and Trump is really only a threat to that in tone, they're not his actual check or enemy or whatever

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

You do understand that the example Trump gives is Obama supporting Nethanyahu's opponent openly, right? That's the false equivalence hill you want to die on here?

Trump has been considerably vaguer than that in his whataboutism on other occasions, I'm not familiar with the specific quote you're mentioning, but in any case he typically deflects criticism of Putin with vague statements about the US committing crimes so listeners can fill in the blanks.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sorry, I think our wires got crossed, I'm mocking the idea of Americans ever giving a poo poo that their government interfered in foreign elections. Also deflection and changing the subject absolutely is "who gives a poo poo" without actually wanting to reveal their moral vacuousness.

yeah. that makes more sense and is true.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

:hmmyes:

We are also dealing with the last vestiges of the Silent Generation as well; who are their own insane pieces of work.

Too young to fight the nazis at the time. Some of them make up for it now.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Right but most Democratic politicians and pundits are uninterested in holding our government accountable when they do it to other countries, which is part of the PR problem imo, that they are obviously huge hypocrites who are only mad about hacking and meddling when other countries are doing it to them.

Like I agree that holding Trump and only Trump accountable is better than nothing because election interference is bad, even though we all know that none of these folks have discovered a moral compass or will ever apply that standard to themselves, but I'm not the person that needs to be convinced and I don't think being huge hypocrites on this issue is going to be very effective at convincing anyone who isn't already looking for a reason to hate Trump (much like Benghazi didn't do anything to convince anyone who didn't already hate Obama in 2012 because Republicans were such obvious hypocrites and their own investigation showed the underfunded security was their fault in the first place)

You are describing things from the loving 80's as if they are happening now. Hell, the entire situation in Honduras right now is happening because the US government directly refused to intervene in a foreign countries political matters.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

No, they don't. Jesus this "nothing matters" poo poo is tiring. People are working hard every day to improve things and they're winning lots of victories and it's tiresome to hear unsubstantiated doomsaying over and over and over and over.

VitalSigns posted:

Yes, lots of Dems are terrible. That's why there's a big effort to replace them with better Dems. Part of that process is replacing them with Dems who will hold ourselves accountable to our foreign policy decisions.

And guess what, evidence that Trump committed a crime is going to be substantively different than the Benghazi investigations because those were transparently sham investigations that never came up with any evidence of any crimes. There is a difference between bad things and good things.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

You are describing things from the loving 80's as if they are happening now. Hell, the entire situation in Honduras right now is happening because the US government directly refused to intervene in a foreign countries political matters.

lol you mean when the US supported the military coup against Honduras' elected government, that situation?

E:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Honduran_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

quote:

From 2009 to mid-2016, however, the U.S. provided about $200 million in military and police aid to Honduras, a controversial decision given the violence in Honduras and the government's human rights violations

E2: also meddling in Russia's elections was the late 90s and the people who did it are still in power, in fact the perp who ordered it is complaining about Putin doing the same thing to his wife!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 20, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lemming posted:

No, they don't. Jesus this "nothing matters" poo poo is tiring. People are working hard every day to improve things and they're winning lots of victories and it's tiresome to hear unsubstantiated doomsaying over and over and over and over.

Yes, lots of Dems are terrible. That's why there's a big effort to replace them with better Dems. Part of that process is replacing them with Dems who will hold ourselves accountable to our foreign policy decisions.

And guess what, evidence that Trump committed a crime is going to be substantively different than the Benghazi investigations because those were transparently sham investigations that never came up with any evidence of any crimes. There is a difference between bad things and good things.

The Benghazi investigation did come up with evidence of crimes, they were just crimes Republicans agreed with so they were quickly dropped.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lemming posted:

I never said "nothing matters" and you need to stop freaking out on people who don't buy into your cheerleading.

In 12 years runaway climate change will begin to kill us all, and every single day that we pump more carbon into the atmosphere without getting closer to a solution is a loss. There's literally no indication, none, zero, that the incoming Dems will get us any closer to a real solution (carbon tax or "a committee" is not a real solution). When AOC has 75 co-signers to the Green New Deal, get back to me. Until then, please understand that a lot of this has the potential to be about as useful as re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 20, 2018

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Lemming posted:

Pretty much this. The hardest obstacle to defeat is apathy, and seeing decades of GOP shitmongering has made a lot of people apathetic. This doesn't mean that people aren't fighting or don't need our help, and ignoring the things that have improved because the decades-long stranglehold hasn't disappeared completely is doing a disservice to people who are fighting.

Don't lose heart, folks. I know it feels like forever because it's hell dimension, but Trump hasn't even hit two years in office yet. Fixing his messes, let alone the foundations that allowed it in the first place, is going to take time and work, and good work was done in the midterms.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Fulchrum posted:

Uhhhh...you might want to learn, maybe, anything about Honduras.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Or South America

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

lol you mean when the US supported the military coup against Honduras' elected government, that situation?

E:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Honduran_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

When, after the people and the courts tried to oust a president trying to declare himself a dictator, they supported that decision, yes. But somehow, if they had supported the president in doing what Xi Jinping is doing right now, that would not have been intervening.

Strange, you seem to keep forgetting the part about it being a coup against someone trying to declare themselves president for life.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I never said "nothing matters" and you need to stop freaking out on people who don't buy into your cheerleading.

In 12 years runaway climate change will begin to kill us all, and every single day that we pump more carbon into the atmosphere without getting closer to a solution is a loss. There's literally no indication, none, zero, that the incoming Dems will get us any closer to a real solution (carbon tax or "a committee" is not a real solution). When AOC has 75 co-signers to the Green New Deal, get back to me. Until then, please understand that it's a lot of this has the potential to be about as useful as re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Dude, this is that exact argument. You're agreeing with the Republicans here - https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-climate-denial - we're all going to die of climate change anyway, so why bother doing anything at all? The point is that although global warming is happening, anything we can do to reduce its impact will still save lives and improve the lives of others. Democrats taking the House is still a necessary, although not sufficient, step in working towards improving things. Just because things are still going to end up bad doesn't mean they couldn't have ended up worse.

It's not about cheerleading, it's about the nihilism and doomsaying being counterproductive and exhausting.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

EdithUpwards posted:

Or South America

Or anything.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lemming posted:

Dude, this is that exact argument. You're agreeing with the Republicans here - https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-climate-denial - we're all going to die of climate change anyway, so why bother doing anything at all?

This is so incredibly frustrating because I do not believe we should not do anything. In fact I think we should radically restructure society to fix it, including ending capitalism. Because that's what it's going to take. Which is why New Dems taking the house does not fix the problem, because they aren't going to do that.

Every time I attempt to simply stick to a fact-based accounting of the massive problems we're facing right now and the very real narrowing window to act you add in "and there's nothing we can do about it!" Please stop. Being honest and clear-eyed about the massive problems and impending global catastrophe we're facing is not defeatism, it's not nihilism, and it does not mean giving up.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

When, after the people and the courts tried to oust a president trying to declare himself a dictator, they supported that decision, yes. But somehow, if they had supported the president in doing what Xi Jinping is doing right now, that would not have been intervening.

Strange, you seem to keep forgetting the part about it being a coup against someone trying to declare themselves president for life.

jesus h christ dude what the gently caress

While I'm amused that you just turned on a dime from "the US didn't interfere with Honduran politics" to "okay they supported a military coup but Honduras deserved it", the fact that you're defending arming a murderous dictatorship that has destroyed the country because the previous president tried to change the constitution in his favor is frankly ghastly and shocking.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW on a completely different subject check this out, this is why the finance industry capturing both parties has been such a disaster:

https://twitter.com/BJMbraun/status/1064447847028981762

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

Uhhhh...you might want to learn, maybe, anything about Honduras.

Zelaya tried to rewrite the constitution to do away with term limits and declare himself president for life. The courts told him to gently caress off, and after he refused to comply, the military ousted him and the government was forced into exile. The Honduran system at that point was entirely self directed and at no point did the US intervene. Arguments against US actions here would require a direct military intervention on their part to restore Zelayas government. Which is the entire thing you're arguing against. This argument just turns on a dime on whether American intervention in another countries politics is good or bad.

Or is it more complicated than "DEMS BAD AND AMERICA BAD!" so its not real?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 20, 2018

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This is so incredibly frustrating because I do not believe we should not do anything. In fact I think we should radically restructure society to fix it, including ending capitalism. Because that's what it's going to take. Which is why New Dems taking the house does not fix the problem, because they aren't going to do that.

Every time I attempt to simply stick to a fact-based accounting of the massive problems we're facing right now and the very real narrowing window to act you add in "and there's nothing we can do about it!" Please stop. Being honest and clear-eyed about the massive problems and impending global catastrophe we're facing is not defeatism, it's not nihilism, and it does not mean giving up.

If you don't want to communicate that you think things are hopeless and we can't do anything, you shouldn't say things like "no one cares." "The odds of things getting better are longer every day." The pessimistic bullshit is what makes me think you believe that things don't matter. It's fine to be realistic that things are bad, but using defeatist language is making me think you have already given up.

Things are on track for the climate to get much, much worse. We're at a baseline of disaster. Things can get better in the way that we can make things turn out less bad, which would be better than the current track of complete disaster.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Do what you can. Take your victories as they are won.

Do we need drastic restructuring of society to avoid the destruction we know is coming? Yes. We do. Will we get that, given the apparatus in the way? No.

Can we take steps now to reduce that apparatus, make improvements and blunt the blow while we aim towards that goal? Yes. And people are trying towards those goals.

There's a difference between being honest and being realistic, and shooting for the stars while you're still building the rocket means you aren't getting off the ground. Do what you can with your goal in sight. Change what you can and keep striving. But know your situation, otherwise you will hit a wall.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Zelaya tried to rewrite the constitution to do away with term limits and declare himself president for life. The courts told him to gently caress off, and after he refused to comply, the military ousted him and the government was forced into exile. The Honduran system at that point was entirely self directed and at no point did the US intervene. Arguments against US actions here would require a direct military intervention on their part to restore Zelayas government.

Or is it more complicated than "DEMS BAD AND AMERICA BAD!" so its not real?

A president trying to extraconstitutionally change term limits doesn't justify arming a military dictatorship you numpty.

The US could have just declared it a coup as it is legally obligated to do by its own statutes and cut off all military aid. And even if the US decided to overthrow the dictatorship and reestablish democracy that's not at all equivalent to meddling in an existing democracy's elections to put a favorable government in power.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lemming posted:

If you don't want to communicate that you think things are hopeless and we can't do anything, you shouldn't say things like "no one cares."

No significant portion of the American electorate cares about our meddling in foreign elections, nor about kids starving in Yemen, nor about harmless civilian Palestinians being shot or bombed, nor about weddings being hit by missiles from drones.

I used "no one cares" as a shorthand for this, not to mean literally no one cares about anything.

When I say that "the odds are getting longer every day" I am referring to apocalyptic climate change, which in fact is on a very short timetable before it becomes unstoppable and self-reinforcing, and that if we don't make plans and change our ways while society is *relatively* well-equipped to handle it, it will instead be handled by the fascists, who will do it through genocide of the global south and PoC.

I hope now that I've clarified this we can move this discussion into more productive territory.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

If you were being honest about it you wouldn't constantly add in your pet issues as the only way to solve the problem. It is frankly insane to say that there is no money to be made in green energy, therefore the only way to save the world is the abolishment of capitalism, but you just want the abolishment of capitalism, and therefore its the only solution, and anything less than that means we are doomed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

jesus h christ dude what the gently caress

While I'm amused that you just turned on a dime from "the US didn't interfere with Honduran politics" to "okay they supported a military coup but Honduras deserved it", the fact that you're defending arming a murderous dictatorship that has destroyed the country because the previous president tried to change the constitution in his favor is frankly ghastly and shocking.

Intervening in Honduras would have been cutting the financial aid that the US was giving them

It's really a hosed up situation because on one hand the president who got exiled was trying to rewrite the Constitution to get rid of term limits (which cant actually be done without dissolving the constitution, the Honduran constitution explicitly lists the term limits and says that they are never able to be changed even if there was a constitutional amendment)

On the other hand the military should have probably not exiled the guy and just instead seized and destroyed the ballots that were printed like they were directed to by the court.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Does anyone else have a strange feeling that Jacob Wohl had nothing to do with the Avenatti charge, except a dumbass tweet about it afterwards? It seems like if he did it would have been exposed immediately due to sheer stupidity, and Avenatti could have just used his tweet as an opportunity to distract. I hope I'm wrong of course, but I'm getting mixed vibes about this.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

BTW on a completely different subject check this out, this is why the finance industry capturing both parties has been such a disaster:

https://twitter.com/BJMbraun/status/1064447847028981762

Are there any explanations of the mechanism through which market based finance increases inequality? What is the process driving this relationship?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

If you were being honest about it you wouldn't constantly add in your pet issues as the only way to solve the problem. It is frankly insane to say that there is no money to be made in green energy, therefore the only way to save the world is the abolishment of capitalism, but you just want the abolishment of capitalism, and therefore its the only solution, and anything less than that means we are doomed.

At 100 dollars a barrel there is 128 trillion dollars worth of oil in the ground right now.

There is no way to stop capitalism from going after that much wealth and no way that green energy can compete with it.

Very simple math there.

Squalid posted:

Are there any explanations of the mechanism through which market based finance increases inequality? What is the process driving this relationship?

I haven't read the paper so I don't know but I would imagine the answer is: market-based finance distorts the outcomes for lower income strata, either through fees or through advertising. That's 100% guess though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

Intervening in Honduras would have been cutting the financial aid that the US was giving them

Cutting off military aid to a coup (which by definition is no longer the government you made the aid agreement with) is not intervention, but even we take crazy pills and say that not supporting a coup with free weapons is intervening in a coup (and freedom is slavery and ignorance is peace and) there is a difference between good and bad things and "ah you say the US should stop overthrowing democracies and meddling in free and fair elections, but you want to US to do something about a bloody military dictatorship a-HA you hypocrite" is not the own you think it is.