Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rad-daddio posted:

I was thinking about picking this game back up. I have a game save from a year and a half ago. Would it be better to just start with from scratch with a new save? I think the last time I touched it was when bases first dropped.

Yeah, unless you were already rich, or had a really cool ship/multitool, might as well just start over. There are also a bunch of bugs associated with updated saves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah, unless you were already rich, or had a really cool ship/multitool, might as well just start over. There are also a bunch of bugs associated with updated saves.

I had a fair amount of money, but I think I need the restart just so I can go through the tutorials.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

For the most part, my old save was able to do most of the missions that explain things, but that was probably because I never really did anything on it prior to next. I had a very basic base with some storage and that was about as far as I had gotten. I don't even think I had progressed through the story missions at all. But that sort of thing is probably what leads to bugs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the older your save is, the higher the chance that one of the new features introduced since then will either bug out or fail to become available on schedule.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

There's not some hidden feature that makes the map suck less, right? It's mind boggling that you have to be floating in space to even view the map. And also that you can't view planet locations and composition without just going out into space and spinning around randomly until you see them pop up on your tiny restricted radar view. And then having to scan, wait for a cooldown, scan again, etc. for each world in the system. You'd think in this miraculous sci fi universe where people can survive in a radioactive hellworld during a 200 degree rainstorm just by chilling under their magical awning, they'd have developed a slightly better map. The shine of 'you can go seamlessly from space to a planet's surface and back!' wears off pretty quick when you have to fly for a full minute just to get a peek at another stupid moon hiding behind a planet to scan it and find out it's trash anyway.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

There's not some hidden feature that makes the map suck less, right? It's mind boggling that you have to be floating in space to even view the map. And also that you can't view planet locations and composition without just going out into space and spinning around randomly until you see them pop up on your tiny restricted radar view. And then having to scan, wait for a cooldown, scan again, etc. for each world in the system. You'd think in this miraculous sci fi universe where people can survive in a radioactive hellworld during a 200 degree rainstorm just by chilling under their magical awning, they'd have developed a slightly better map. The shine of 'you can go seamlessly from space to a planet's surface and back!' wears off pretty quick when you have to fly for a full minute just to get a peek at another stupid moon hiding behind a planet to scan it and find out it's trash anyway.

Welcome to NMS, where the design choices don't make sense and 30 years of game development norms and design philosophy don't matter.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I decided playing silly buggers with getting my freighter-filling busted rear end ships to a station for trading was pointless and just used the save editor to delete a couple of crap tier fighters worth less than a million that I'd claimed back before I had any idea of how to recognize a good ship. I still don't feel like I'm cheating, I'm just working around the game's dumb restrictions. I just like to imagine my traveler glancing around surreptitiously and shoving them out the back of the freighter to crash down into the nearest empty planet, then warping away before anyone notices.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Deleting stuff you can't delete because they never added a button to do it is definitely not cheating. Neither would editing your save to give yourself a bugged blueprint or something like that. There's enough weird issues in the game that using mods or save editors is completely justifiable imo.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Welcome to NMS, where the design choices don't make sense and 30 years of game development norms and design philosophy don't matter.

This is what caused me to frustradedly drop the game again shortly after Next released. I'm dismayed every time I dip into the thread to see if it's improved and it hasn't.

Is anyone working on any overhaul mods to drag this game kicking and screaming into the realms of usability? Why are the devs ignoring what must be tonnes of similar feedback? It can't be an inability to fix, these are clearly talented people. Stubbornness? :shrug:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think it's just that they're super myopic about how the game should play and what will actually make it a lot better.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah it seems like they really want players to just randomly and almost blindly wander around the universe, and maybe occasionally find something interesting to see.

But then all the stuff is the same so :shrug:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah it is probably some form of development/gaming blindness. The same thing that leads some people to prefer weird old design choices for some kinds of games over newer more efficient, player friendly ones. You see it all the time with MMOs, MOBAs, and RPG type games within their communities. And if you are getting to a point where you are making a game as large in scope as this, chances are you weren't the average gamer, let alone remotely casual. That's why in nearly 30 years, you will barely see any true roguelike games, for example, that look or play in a remotely modern way. Lot's of spin offs of the genre have happened, but the instances of "literally Nethack, but with updated presentation, and and easier learning curve" are at.. like, one? And Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup isn't really "easy" at all so that barely counts. It also isn't remotely modern looking or sounding, since it looks like it could run on a Windows 98 machine. Same could be said for Dwarf Fortress and its brethren.

At this point it simply cannot be a competency thing, because they are clearly capable of doing big things, so I have to imagine that they just want the game to feel complicated and tough to appease some sort of weird hardcore gaming sensibility.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I feel like I fell off the rails on the basebuilding quests somewhere way back. I got as far as having a scientist NPC and apparently exhausted all of their quests but never got blueprints for any other terminals that need to be staffed with NPCs, which I get the feeling I should have. The other base computer quests have all been done, up to the point where it's just giving me apparently randomly generated quests every 6 hours to go hit an abandoned terminal somewhere for random rewards. I've advanced the Artemis and Atlas quest lines to the point where they're basically done, and I have an ominous purge number counting up to 16, which feels somewhat final. And yet I've never gotten any NPC terminals beyond that one science one. :shrug:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it seems like they really want players to just randomly and almost blindly wander around the universe, and maybe occasionally find something interesting to see.

I don't know if you wanted to do this point but the planet hopping was the original E3 pitch and how the game played in vanilla. I don't think that save a reboot it will change.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Planet hopping doesn't really have anything to do with the lack of some basic video game features though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Check your quest log for a seemingly random quest to make some technology. Several times the Overseer offhandedly mentions a piece of technology and gives you a quest to make like a beacon or save point that for some reason isn't labelled as part of the base building questline but needs to be completed to get the next step.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
loving hell. At some point, after playing for long enough, your game will probably forget that your ground bases have terrain edits. It will reset the terrain gen to the original config as you found it. You'll return to your base one day, and discover that you've had a landslide through the walls of your buildings, or grass will suddenly reappear:

This isn't even fixable, because this bug will also disable that 'crunch' of terrain editing when you place down a new building parts. No new terrain edits as part of base building. Ever again. Terrain manipulator will still work, theoretically, but I'm not sure if it will stick, and placing parts won't work at all. I had carbon crystals growing in my Korvax's science lab all of a sudden.

I was actually rather fond of my base, so I just ripped the thing down, moved it three corridor lengths away, and rebuilt the thing, putting it all on stilts far enough away from the hill vertically and horizontally to get the required distance. This may seem like a lot of effort to go through, but I actually enjoy the playing house aspect, so it was a fun couple of hours. I would still rather not have had to bother at all.

Anyway, be real loving careful if you have a base built in, on, or close to terrain. Eventually (180h on my save?) it will simply stop working and your base will abruptly look like hot garbage.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh I love those floor to ceiling windows. Are they new on base building? Or a mod?

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I love those floor to ceiling windows. Are they new on base building? Or a mod?

They were added with the Abyss update. They're the windows on all the underwater building modules, but they're now available for any old thing through the regular large items > Windows building submenu, or wherever it is.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Check your quest log for a seemingly random quest to make some technology. Several times the Overseer offhandedly mentions a piece of technology and gives you a quest to make like a beacon or save point that for some reason isn't labelled as part of the base building questline but needs to be completed to get the next step.

Okay, but what is the Overseer? I'm going to hazard a guess that it's one of the NPCs I should have, but don't?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Overseer is the first NPC the base building chain wants you to find. It is the gek that gives out the rest of the base quests.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Overseer is the first NPC the base building chain wants you to find. It is the gek that gives out the rest of the base quests.

I have no idea how it managed to break so thoroughly, but all I have is the Korvax science person. I never got a quest to go recruit a Gek for anything. My build menu for the terminals that are staffed by NPCs contains only the science terminal, and that's it. Where's the no man's sky emote to describe how I'm feeling.

Fake edit: :nms:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that's weird, seeing as how you need the Gek to give you the quest to get the science terminal lol

Try building an entirely new base in a different system, at least to get far enough to get another overseer table? I don't know man, this is strange.

Sneaky Kettle posted:

Anyway, be real loving careful if you have a base built in, on, or close to terrain. Eventually (180h on my save?) it will simply stop working and your base will abruptly look like hot garbage.

I think I read somewhere that the game remembers your last 5000 or so terrain edits, and starts to remove your old ones after that. This can also happen when you have a connection hiccup when you load into your base, I believe. I loaded into my base one time while my connection was spotty, and a hill regrew into one of my buildings. I was able to carve it out, and for some reason the game remembered that and so whenever I loaded back into that base later there were holes around the building from where I was using the large terrain manip tool lol

It really sucks because I want to make an underground base real bad, but it will eventually just become unusable

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Well I guess I can just wait around for my main base to be reclaimed by all the rocks and bumps that were removed. Awesome. Thankfully none of my bases so far have relied on significant terraforming.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it's not too bad if the terrain edits were minimal, or if your base is segmented and not very big so you can hit the regrown stuff from outside, but you can't use your tools inside so it may be a pain removing some stuff lol

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I guess the future safe plan would be to always build on stilts/platforms.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Speaking of which, how do you do that? I was trying to set up a new base last night and couldn't get the platforms to line up or snap to the right height at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I've only ever managed it by building one, then building the base out, and then adding foundations and such once the top part is already built.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've mostly stopped playing this game but I suddenly want to build a base slung under the ceiling of the biggest column-supported plateau I can find. Anyone have pictures of something like that?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

My new base is going on this sweet fanta planet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

My new base is going on this sweet fanta planet.

Is this the real life or is this just fanta sea?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

haveblue posted:

I've mostly stopped playing this game but I suddenly want to build a base slung under the ceiling of the biggest column-supported plateau I can find. Anyone have pictures of something like that?

I just found a huge rock pillar on my home system that would fit this perfectly. I can't recall the name of the system. I'm still trying to get all the new features down.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

New update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoBOFTi-zAk

copied changes:

New Anomalous Flora

Greater Palette Variety

Collectible Exploration Trophies

Procedural Crash Sites

New Fauna

Improved UI Feedback

Salvageable Scrap

5 x Planetary Biomes

Corrupted Sentinel Drones

Rare Lucrative Skeletons

New Emotes

Global Community Mission

Rainbows

Increased Anomalous planets

Storm-Activated Crystals

Launch-able Fireworks

New Base Parts

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That almost seemed too good to be true. I assume this means planets are getting reset again? RIP all those insane builds people have been doing I guess. :v:

I really hope the expanded biomes and fauna really aid in planetary variety. That seems to be the whole point of this update. I hope it works out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mods please rename me Rare Lucrative Skeletons

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Are there any guides out there or tricks/tips on getting the concrete/metal/wood pieces to snap where you want them? Like has anyone figured out where the system expects you to look in order to snap to a particular edge? Because I'm getting tired of this pixel hunt adventure where the pieces in front of me are ignored in favor of something in the distance, including the terrain.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

^^
I know there are some youtube videos of people basebuilding so many scrub through one of those?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

That leak video looks great but I fear that at least one of my many bases is going to get nuked when the planet transmogrifies into a different biome around it.

Not that I've played so much lately. Hesperius Dimension on PS4 is a lonely galaxy.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

At this rate, they'll be out of beta in no time. :v:

Curious what 'improved UI feedback' means exactly. Could it be a UI that wouldn't have been considered laughably bad twenty years ago? Probably not!

Also I'm sure this means the paradise planet I found last night with nice weather and no death storms will probably transmogrify into a bleak hellworld now. At least I hadn't started building a base on it yet, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That update looks fantastic even if I might lose my fantasy base.

I also hope they improve the UI - for the longest time I thought it was bad because it was built for controllers, but playing it now on a controller it's actually more frustrating than ever.