Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm in if we can make the book names increasingly nonsensical

Vampire: The Masquerade Three Hundred and Sixty Five Childer over Two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Foglet posted:

Well, the press conference is over.
TL/DR:
1. The Chechen side is still thirsting for blood :drac: (including litigation against Paradox and specifically those authors who were personally responsible).
2. The Russian guys in charge of localizing V20 are more or less pardoned (of stuff they had nothing to do with in the first place) provided they
a) assist to the best of their abilities in finding the culprits, and
b) possibly do a book of their own painting Chechnya in the best light or arrange for the perpetrating company to do such book (by way of apology).

Wow. Just... wow. Congrats, Mark! A whole international incident! True art!

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 19, 2018

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Zarilex, Xelmak, Droxarov

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Caine didn't go mad until the Weaver trapped him in his net.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

On the note of entertaining antediluvians, it is very funny to me that the Tzimisce antediluvian had the actual, stated goal of merging with and becoming the Earth, and so when they chose to have a Gehenna scenario be that an antediluvian merged with and became the Earth they picked...the Gangrel one.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
While it is a bunch of bizarro bullshit that meshes well with the current state of lack of truth or shame in the US, Kadyrov's bullshit is pretty much in the same mold of every tin pot dictator's. His regime making absurd demands and claiming massive retribution is about in line with the poo poo that's come out of North Korea for years, rather than some new evolution.

So, I'd see any attempt at "suing" the west to be a giant pile of going nowhere, much like most of the claims North Korea makes about being defamed. Bizarrely though, it does make me think its more likely that something bad happening to Rein*Hagen personally is more plausible. Guy living in neighboring state with a frozen conflict zone to Russia is much more the environment where some violent bullshit might go down than, say, Paradox's HQ in Sweden.

Though I'd still not consider even that to be a terribly likely outcome.

Desiden fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 19, 2018

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Mors Rattus posted:

Wraiths don't really count for the 'everyone is a supernatural' thing.

Everyone dies.

This reminds of an old gag that the reason there aren't a million Wraiths born every day is that Wraiths only come from non-ghouled, non-kinfolk actual factual humans, of which there are shockingly few in OWoD

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Between doing events with people at GenCon, meeting various people through those events, and other networking I now have a little under a dozen people on Facebook who work for Onyx Path Productions, White Wolf, or Нохчийн Республика in some way or another.

Could someone give me a brief run down of how this will effect those entities in the future? Will Rich Thomas no longer be in the same place?

The answers could be a useful first post addition, if this is a big deal.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Nobody knows yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

UrbicaMortis posted:

It's honestly astonishing that paradox, a company that regularly puts out historical games where existing nations battle it out, has finally created an international incident and it's via their vampire rpg side- property.
You can see why they're leery about doing a strategy game covering the present. :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

About the only thing we know for sure is that White Wolf will cease to exist as a separate entity from Paradox itself.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Between doing events with people at GenCon, meeting various people through those events, and other networking I now have a little under a dozen people on Facebook who work for Onyx Path Productions, White Wolf, or Нохчийн Республика in some way or another.

Could someone give me a brief run down of how this will effect those entities in the future? Will Rich Thomas no longer be in the same place?

The answers could be a useful first post addition, if this is a big deal.

Still in flux.

White Wolf and its properties - which technically include CoD and its 2nd editions - are still being licensed to third parties (e.g., Onyx Path) as far as we know. This could be subject to change but is pretty unlikely.

What happens to Masquerade properties from here is anybody's guess. If I were Paradox I'd shutter all their in house poo poo and find somebody who can do a better job, particularly considering that in the RPG world it's not like it would be particularly expensive to keep the brand on life support. And again, if I were Paradox, I'd have OPP do that because they already have infrastructure in place to make that work.

But I'm not Paradox so I have no idea.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

Wraiths don't really count for the 'everyone is a supernatural' thing.

Everyone dies.

Samuel Haight: My Afterlife as an Ashtray

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Foglet posted:

Well, the press conference is over.
TL/DR:
1. The Chechen side is still thirsting for blood :drac: (including litigation against Paradox and specifically those authors who were personally responsible).
2. The Russian guys in charge of localizing V20 are more or less pardoned (of stuff they had nothing to do with in the first place) provided they
a) assist to the best of their abilities in finding the culprits, and
b) possibly do a book of their own painting Chechnya in the best light or arrange for the perpetrating company to do such book (by way of apology).

When doing homophobia gets you in trouble with the homophobes

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It honestly warms my heart to see L5R 5th above Vampire 5th on the DriveThruRPG page.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What books are out for Mage: The Awakening 2E?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dawgstar posted:

What books are out for Mage: The Awakening 2E?

You just named all of them.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
edit- https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Mage:_The_Awakening_books
edit 2- looks like 2 Dark Eras books, some anthologies, and a poster? I get the joke now. thanks for walking me through that everyone.

Does L5R still do the "tournament outcomes decide the metaplot" thing? Outside of By Night System's LARP books being supposedly written by in-game events, are there any RPG lines which still let the players write the game?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Does L5R still do the "tournament outcomes decide the metaplot" thing? Outside of By Night System's LARP books being supposedly written by in-game events, are there any RPG lines which still let the players write the game?

Yes and no. FFG has adapted it - tournament outcomes and tournament player votes decide very specific and clearly defined things that they set out beforehand.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Yes and no. FFG has adapted it - tournament outcomes and tournament player votes decide very specific and clearly defined things that they set out beforehand.

I for one loved the multi year period where the Unicorn did everything (and the ratmen secretly helped) just because there were two dominant factions. One of which made no damned sense in almost any given context.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

And thank God for it. I'll even give the story team credit for rolling with some of those punches, but it got super ridiculous pretty early on.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I love that gods just constantly die, and the Sun was so down about a woman replacing her evil husband she commited ritual suicide so a bad man with a robot Claw hand could replace her.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh yeah no, this is absolutely me going 'FFG has their heads on straight and are sane about this.'

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I love that gods just constantly die, and the Sun was so down about a woman replacing her evil husband she commited ritual suicide so a bad man with a robot Claw hand could replace her.

Uh, he was a half-snake psuedo-undead guy with glowing rock hand at that point, let's be clear about this.

Granted, I'm not sure that plot even came out of metaplot stuff, the only winner of a tournament related to the Sun / Moon stuff was monk, IIRC, who just got to have the a monk with flaming hands punch out the Old Moon.

(Okay, that is still pretty goofy for a tournament result.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Uh, he was a half-snake psuedo-undead guy with glowing rock hand at that point, let's be clear about this.

Granted, I'm not sure that plot even came out of metaplot stuff, the only winner of a tournament related to the Sun / Moon stuff was monk, IIRC, who just got to have the a monk with flaming hands punch out the Old Moon.

(Okay, that is still pretty goofy for a tournament result.)

Also the woman who became the moon was half Obsidian at that point. Like, the mineral.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I forgot what Obsidian does in l5r. Is that a horrible abrogation of nature?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

EdithUpwards posted:

I forgot what Obsidian does in l5r. Is that a horrible abrogation of nature?

It is a rock made of evil.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It corrupted in very vague sort of way, either with Shadowlands or weird mooniness.

Speaking of these sorts of things, I'm glad the 1WoD has seemingly had its planned metaplot cut short. Metaplots are almost universally awful, of course, but can you imagine one by Martin? We may have dodged a bullet there- I could have literally cringed to death.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Thank you everyone who gave me a response to what must be an often asked question. Now I want a copy because I'm curious how noticeable it was among the rest of the tone/setting. If it is an unreleased book, I'm a little surprised by all this since why not just destroy those parts and keep the rest (if functional) going? Exalted's development had a lot of issues though, so I can see how wanted to rebuild everything to avoid that is also appealing.

I'd imagine that other than corporate integration not much else other than head roles can really change, since they can't move that many industry people to Stockholm, Sweden. In reverse, I don't think moving a Swedish team member to America would work, given that I don't think they really have a centralized office in America other than maybe a few home offices.

Man, crazy how things happen in the modern world.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

NuWW was never going to do Exalted, though. They explicitly had no interest in that IP.
Which I'm pretty drat glad of; as slow as Ex3 has been to come out, I've really liked almost everything they've produced in the end. Especially the stuff with the new dev team, who are moving a lot faster to at least as good results, if not better.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Is there someplace that chronicled the excesses the metaplot endured due to player involvement? Y'all are dishing tea I am unfamiliar with.

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh yeah no, this is absolutely me going 'FFG has their heads on straight and are sane about this.'

1) is your name a The World Ends With You reference?
2) Yeah as far as motivators go it's a really powerful gimmick but designers just have to reckon with the fact that their most devoted base are probably going to be lacking in, say, social niceties? The ability to narratively play well with others.

That Old Tree posted:

I don't remember if it was mentioned last time or how worthwhile the place is, but RPGnet has a freelancing subforum you might could post in.

That's awesome, thanks for the tip!

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

Joe Slowboat posted:

NuWW was never going to do Exalted, though. They explicitly had no interest in that IP.
Which I'm pretty drat glad of; as slow as Ex3 has been to come out, I've really liked almost everything they've produced in the end. Especially the stuff with the new dev team, who are moving a lot faster to at least as good results, if not better.

NuWW said on Darker Days Radio that they wanted to do Exalted once One World of Darkness got off the ground.

(Which I guess now translates to never)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Is there someplace that chronicled the excesses the metaplot endured due to player involvement? Y'all are dishing tea I am unfamiliar with.

Basically all of the L5R metaplot is an excess due to player involvement

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Speaking of these sorts of things, I'm glad the 1WoD has seemingly had its planned metaplot cut short. Metaplots are almost universally awful, of course, but can you imagine one by Martin? We may have dodged a bullet there- I could have literally cringed to death.

I have decided metaplots are cool and good if done like they are in the Requiem Clanbooks, where it's super subtle but there. It's however even there definitely an optional extra.

Also boy howdy people need to not sleep on the Reiquem Clanbooks if they haven't read them. /chef's kiss

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Lost_Heretic posted:

NuWW said on Darker Days Radio that they wanted to do Exalted once One World of Darkness got off the ground.

(Which I guess now translates to never)

...I am suddenly even more glad that they have crashed and burned.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I feel it is vital to remind everyone that Dale Gribble is an ananasi.

Well, an expy called Rusty K. Grinnel is, at least (they changed him up a little - he's got a mullet and doesn't like guns, preferring to get creative, but it's still clearly Dale.) Which leads to the next question...

Is Bill a failed attempt at a Mockery Breed?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figure that's Bobby. Boy ain't right.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Loomer posted:

I feel it is vital to remind everyone that Dale Gribble is an ananasi.

Well, an expy called Rusty K. Grinnel is, at least (they changed him up a little - he's got a mullet and doesn't like guns, preferring to get creative, but it's still clearly Dale.) Which leads to the next question...

Is Bill a failed attempt at a Mockery Breed?

Loomer, I've been reading the World of Darkness thread for years and just want to say that you're the greatest man there ever was.

Buck Strickland is the bastard of a King family dynast, transferred from King Breweries and Distilleries to a subsidiary of Endron International.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
If Bobby is a Mockery Breed attempt, Peggy must be a fomori. Bill, of course, is then a Garou lunatic suffering from severe harano after his disastrous marriage to a black spiral kinfolk named Lenore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Where can i sign up to write the book painting Chechnya as a noble kingdom and Ramzan Kadyrov as its great, sexy, dangerous hero? Failign that, when is the kickstarter?