Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
My brother who is a chef tried to explain to me what the blockchain in and how it should be used for everything. Hearing a guy who has a culinary arts degree try to explain something he read of off Reddit is hilarious. At least he doesn’t have kids or is screwing anyone else but himself over by his decisions.

It’s amazing how many people across all political spectrums I’ve known that bought into the bit coin voodoo. A liberal friend of mine went whole hog after he thought Trump was going to tank the economy and be only way to buy food would be through but coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

My brother who is a chef tried to explain to me what the blockchain in and how it should be used for everything. Hearing a guy who has a culinary arts degree try to explain something he read of off Reddit is hilarious. At least he doesn’t have kids or is screwing anyone else but himself over by his decisions.

It’s amazing how many people across all political spectrums I’ve known that bought into the bit coin voodoo. A liberal friend of mine went whole hog after he thought Trump was going to tank the economy and be only way to buy food would be through but coin.

It's an attractive idea if you have no skills at all. Which is basically every scam. I'm wondering why the hell I didn't go into scamming people rather than science, I'd be a bloody billionaire at this point.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Corporate America has also had it with blockchains. Which is good, because they're loving stupid.

Work had a 'what's your idea to empower the client with the power of the blockchain???!!' contest and it never went anywhere. I asked around and they got two responses and they were both terrible, to the point where they just expected everyone to forget about it. There are ~27k people on the mailing list and they got two responses.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Vasudus posted:

Corporate America has also had it with blockchains. Which is good, because they're loving stupid.

Work had a 'what's your idea to empower the client with the power of the blockchain???!!' contest and it never went anywhere. I asked around and they got two responses and they were both terrible, to the point where they just expected everyone to forget about it. There are ~27k people on the mailing list and they got two responses.

Should have sent in "set one up to bilk the rubes then cut and run" but then again if they did and it tanked they'd say it was your idea.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
re: the wohls being loving morons

https://hillreporter.com/exclusive-recording-expose-jacob-wohl-surefire-intelligence-14691

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

There's some legitimate applications for it in distributed computing, but a monetary system isn't one of them.

Think things that need additional verification of authenticity, but where speed isn't an issue (medical records, protein folding, hunting for asteroids, root CA issuance, etc.). You know, things that are otherwise mundane and ignored by everyone except for the few people that work in those fields.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I, too, look forward to China being able to burst compute and take over the world’s blockchain of medical records

What could possibly go wrong

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Hexyflexy posted:

It's an attractive idea if you have no skills at all. Which is basically every scam. I'm wondering why the hell I didn't go into scamming people rather than science, I'd be a bloody billionaire at this point.

The sad thing is he is a classically trained chef and is successful in his area of expertise to the point where he could retire early if he was smart about his money and investments. But the lure of butt coin is too strong.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

pmchem posted:

I, too, look forward to China being able to burst compute and take over the world’s blockchain of medical records

What could possibly go wrong

I'd be more worried the Certification Authorities tbh

Much, much more dangerous. But also not really a thing pertaining to the "Blockchain" in this context. The entire premise is a mutually verifiable record of information that exists in a zero trust environment. Now, that's useless for the vast majority of use cases because it's slow as poo poo, but there a couple of theoretical exceptions where it kinda works. It's an elegant solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Cryptocurrency is retarded af. It's the stock market but way way way stupider.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

There's some legitimate applications for it in distributed computing, but a monetary system isn't one of them.

Think things that need additional verification of authenticity, but where speed isn't an issue (medical records, protein folding, hunting for asteroids, root CA issuance, etc.). You know, things that are otherwise mundane and ignored by everyone except for the few people that work in those fields.

every one of those you could just use a merkle tree, which was published... 90's? 80's?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

every one of those you could just use a merkle tree, which was published... 90's? 80's?

70s

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

And if you haven't developed that datastructure yourself by the age of 18 I'd never bloody employ you, because you're awful at computer science.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
When will the NYT doing such insurmountably dumb profiles of these people?

The answer is likely never. This was from a profile who are just so tiiiiired from trying to figure out politics and they just wish we could all get along and never talk about politics. Another person was like "gosh, I can't tell who's telling the truth, but maybe it's Glenn Beck?"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Man what a bummer, not having a party that is pro choice but also believes those people should be kept away from your neighborhood and nation

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Blockchain IS a merkle tree. The distinguishing feature is the distributed nature of the nodes and communication via a common protocol and the maintenance of a centralized ledger; as a data structure it's identical.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 20, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Current event: This Rams Chiefs game.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Football is dead to me after Alex Smiths leg tried to leave his body.

My boy had a decent career. Poor guy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Watching football at this point is unethical consumption under dot text, but for a really good game like this one, I'll make an exception and watch it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/malloy_online/status/1064712485817597952

Thanks Bill for dropping truth

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
"this planet with trillions of organisms isn't working out, but with the power of tech-bro we can live on a life-forsaken hell-rock?"

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

"this planet with trillions of organisms isn't working out, but with the power of tech-bro we can live on a life-forsaken hell-rock?"

Science: "With some effort on our part, we can totally salvage the situation and maintain a reasonable level of existence on this planet"
Rich Idiots: "MmmNah."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Now, terraforming earth on the other hand...

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's absolutely zero practical chance of terraforming ever being a thing. You would need the entire world's resources - industry, research, policy, governments, etc. to unite and throw countless amount of time, resources, and effort into just developing some of the underlaying technologies that would be necessary to even do it. Then you have to get there, set everything up, wait probably half a century or more for any sort of progress, and then you could maybe consider it being a possibility. And you could just as easily throw the entire world's resources at it for fifty years and still have your nerds going 'lol I dunno what about spinning magnets to create a magnetosphere"

If you're going to put that much unified effort into something you're considerably better off doing green tech and getting us completely off fossil fuels and repairing the climate change damage with carbon capturing tech. It's about the same likelihood of success (0.0000001%) but you don't have to travel.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Isn't Mars' gravity too weak to have an atmosphere that can sustain people/things bigger than bacteria

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
All the rage right now is apparently subterranean exploration and maybe caves and deeper valleys will have enough oxygen for sustaining idiot people.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah, you have to figure out how to keep the atmosphere from venting into space. One of the dumb ideas that's been floated was building a network of powerful electromagnets that would...I have no idea, somehow keep charged particles inside???

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/rvawonk/status/1064718127903268864?s=21

:stonk:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
can we just eat these fuckers already and get it the gently caress on

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

Yeah, you have to figure out how to keep the atmosphere from venting into space. One of the dumb ideas that's been floated was building a network of powerful electromagnets that would...I have no idea, somehow keep charged particles inside???

It's just mindbogglingly arrogant and dumb. The idea that we literally can't figure it out on a planet that houses billions of humans and trillions+ of others, but we can totally figure out some wonder-mode of living which we have to transport off of Earth, through space, and to a currently lifeless place and then recreate poo poo the Earth supports with zero effort whatsoever. All while humans don't just gently caress it up somehow.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mods changed my name posted:

loving seriously.

I'll take my politician medium rare and mounded in salt.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

They already did the chopping and nobody wanted the eating.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

So says "a senior Saudi source."
On the other hand, did Pompeo have any other reason to be there?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Isn't Mars' gravity too weak to have an atmosphere that can sustain people/things bigger than bacteria

It took like hundreds of millions of years for the atmosphere to dissipate. It didn’t get snuffed out like a candle.

Its atmosphere is still thick enough to support weather and flight (theoretically) which is pretty cool imo

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 20, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Why don't we just give them their goddamn wish and send them all to Mars*

*It's a considerably easier problem to solve if you don't actually intend for them to survive beyond T+5 seconds.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

we're nice. I've almost given up all faith that matters.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

All the rage right now is apparently subterranean exploration and maybe caves and deeper valleys will have enough oxygen for sustaining idiot people.

Rich people literally want to become dwarves

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
eloi and morlocks but they swapped dwellings

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The Saudis could murder ten Khashoggis and it still wouldn't matter, we're supporting them right up until we no longer get access to that sweet oil revenue as venture capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Hexyflexy posted:

They already did the chopping and nobody wanted the eating.

People aren't halal. Course something tells me they did say the Bismillah when they killed him.