Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You better loving believe it, you god damned ratfucking tourist

cue dubstep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roWrPV-PTXA&t=16s

I'm pretty sure I had nightmares after playing multiplayer for the first time because of that animation where they hold their hands up in front of their face. I dunno what it was about the multiplayer specifically because the single-player didn't hit me like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Renoistic posted:

Joel completely poo poo on all the progress he and Ellie had been making by lying to her face (and killing Marlene for that matter).

I don't know if they'll make it this cut and dry. parents lie to their children all the time about all sorts of stuff. I'd expect an older Ellie would have some understanding of the situation, particularly given that she seems to be acting like hyper-Joel now when it comes to death.

We will see though! As much as the violence gets to me I'm looking forward to at least learning what happens in the next game, even if it isn't really that important to me that the story continues.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm pretty sure I had nightmares after playing multiplayer for the first time because of that animation where they hold their hands up in front of their face. I dunno what it was about the multiplayer specifically because the single-player didn't hit me like that

Yeah same. I couldn't play it because of that animation.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Renoistic posted:

Joel completely poo poo on all the progress he and Ellie had been making by lying to her face (and killing Marlene for that matter). He has severe issues about making other people's decisions 'to survive' which is a big reason why his brother fled from him.

The only reason Ellie went along with it is that Joel is that she felt he was the only one left in her life and she didn't want to loose him too. That sort of thing will most likely be a wedge between them that might grow into full-on resentment. He saved her but in doing so lost her forever etcetera.

Honestly I don't think tLoU needed a sequel but I would be very surprised if that doesn't come back to bite Joel in the rear end, or at least colors their relationship.

I'm not writing a word about the Fireflies because they just aren't important at all to the ending :lol:

Yeah the interesting part is Ellies, "ok" but I know that you know that I know that you know what we are subtext saying here.

what we have seen of the next one is Ellie alone so the obvious read is she left Joel but something will plot happen for her to go save him and things will.be emotionally forgiven/dealt with.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've never played The Last of Us and when I tell people that they stare at me, slack-jawed in horror and insist that I really need to.

But from the limited amount I've seen of it (I only recently got a PS4 for RDR2) it looks like a survival horror game?
How much horror are we talking here? I am a tremendous baby when it comes to horror in videogames. Weirdly, horror movies are fine - I think it's something to do with being in control.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Pretty much none. Unless you count stealthing through zombies that can one shot kill you. It's more action/stealth.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mode 7 posted:

I've never played The Last of Us and when I tell people that they stare at me, slack-jawed in horror and insist that I really need to.

But from the limited amount I've seen of it (I only recently got a PS4 for RDR2) it looks like a survival horror game?
How much horror are we talking here? I am a tremendous baby when it comes to horror in videogames. Weirdly, horror movies are fine - I think it's something to do with being in control.

I'm a baby too. The monster parts are fine, but some of the violence and situations are harrowing. It's definitely in the survival horror genre (moving through a world of scarce resources, you're not death incarnate to your enemies, jump scares) with fairly tight action and good pacing. It took me ages to finish because a couple of chapters in particular are very intense.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's not even remotely scary. it uses the zombie backdrop to tell its story but it's not like resident evil or w/e. spooky jump scares don't exist in tlou

it is intense and can be depressing tho

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Its horror is more existential horror about man's inhumanity to man and Fathers that will Kill to Protect/Control You

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's not even remotely scary. it uses the zombie backdrop to tell its story but it's not like resident evil or w/e. spooky jump scares don't exist in tlou

They do in dark places where clickers are. It's also really loving violent in some sections and the atmosphere is scary. I found it oppressive, which added to how scary I found poo poo like winter. Winter hosed me up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It is...stressful, but entirely worth it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

stressful is a better word than scary imo. some segments are very intense

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Turning on the generator and the hide n' seek in the burning bar still freak me the hell out after multiple times through the game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlV7skUsHHE

Reminder to never give up in Tetris because holy poo poo I could hear the universe directly transmitting words of encouragement to my brain as my heart opened up and filled my thumbs with Burning Passion and my controller caught on fire and exploded

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah the interesting part is Ellies, "ok" but I know that you know that I know that you know what we are subtext saying here.

what we have seen of the next one is Ellie alone so the obvious read is she left Joel but something will plot happen for her to go save him and things will.be emotionally forgiven/dealt with.

I always interpreted Ellie knew Joel is lying about something but trusts he's lying for a good reason and decides to go along with him. And Joel knows she knows too but they both decide to believe the lie Maybe the sequel will disprove all of this, who knows?

All this debate is part of the reason TLOU is one of the best videogame stories ever btw.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sometimes I wish that when the Playstation thread has a multi-page slapfight about the themes of a Sony game it's something besides Last of Us

Then Sony should release another game that has a story worth talking about as much as the last of us tbh.

We could talk about the story in Soma but no one played it. Only other game story I really gave a poo poo about.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Spalec posted:

I always interpreted Ellie knew Joel is lying about something but trusts he's lying for a good reason and decides to go along with him. And Joel knows she knows too but they both decide to believe the lie Maybe the sequel will disprove all of this, who knows?

All this debate is part of the reason TLOU is one of the best videogame stories ever btw.

That's pretty much what I mean. She knows. He knows. She knows he knows. He knows that too. In the end. She trusts him in the moment. But shes a lil teen. And as she gets older she will naturally question that :siren: choice :siren: to trust him.

Totally just speculation but based on her age I, as a human with children from 5 to 22 ( :corsair: ), think she is at the age where she villianized her parental figure and will be going through the proccess of forgiving/understanding why Joel did what he did.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

In this instance it gives me great pleasure to prove you wrong! Even the current TLOU factions has 2 distinct heavy respawn modes. The basic one is called Supply Raid where a team shares a pool of respawns collectively, and the other is called Interrogation where infinite respawns are provided but are calculated in waves.

Hmmm, that is interesting! I don’t think I’ll jump in until 2 comes out but when it does I might have to give it more attention. I’ll at least give it a try. Thanks for the info!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Will they have even more disturbingly realistic takedown animations where they beg for their lives

I hope so, I want to be shocked and disgusted at least once per round plz

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have hit a wall in my Tetris Journey.

Late expert when the pieces basically appear right at the bottom of the well, I know to stall with rotations or swaps if I need to, but that doesn't help if I need a piece at the very edge of the board. I have trouble getting the pieces over humps and then I start panicking and pieces get locked into terrible placements

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Late expert when the pieces basically appear right at the bottom of the well, I know to stall with rotations or swaps if I need to, but that doesn't help if I need a piece at the very edge of the board. I have trouble getting the pieces over humps and then I start panicking and pieces get locked into terrible placements

Keep playing you'll get it.
Sleep and beat it in 10 hrs

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hrm, sounds like I'll do alright with it! I'll be diving into VR for a while as I just picked up a PSVR headset, but afterwards I'll check out TLoU. Thanks!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I haven’t even beaten the beginner journey lmao

Real hurthling! posted:

This seems to be the key to Tetris for me. Even a 15 minute break helps.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Real hurthling! posted:

This really is the solution to everything in Tetris Effect. Except maybe it takes me 2-3 days when I hit a wall.

Today is a good day, I beat 3 of the later levels in expert in the past hour just by the skin of my teeth.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Show it what you are made of, 'cause we're always with you!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Anyone receive their $15 for the Countdown to Launch promotion?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 20, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jose Oquendo posted:

Any receive their $15 for the Countdown to Launch promotion?

No :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The thing said on or about the 19th, so there's still some hope. I'm hoping I get it in time so I can use it with the $40 PS Plus deal..

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Simpsons Shitposting has led me to believe in the new Hitman you can knock people out with rakes a la Sideshow Bob, confirm/deny?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Simpsons Shitposting has led me to believe in the new Hitman you can knock people out with rakes a la Sideshow Bob, confirm/deny?

https://i.imgur.com/Yn6ubAZ.gifv

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

i made the right choice when i purchased Hitman 2

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 20, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You just spent some money for me. Make it so:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just a PS3 related question. I've been playing Demon's Souls on my brother's in law PS3 with my PS account and of course the saves are in the cloud. I can't copy the saves to an usb drive (system doesn't let me) but if I ever get an used PS3, will the saves download and play on the new system?

I may get a cheap 2nd hand PS3 and I'd love to keep the saves as Demon's Souls is the only of the series that I haven't beat yet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Just a PS3 related question. I've been playing Demon's Souls on my brother's in law PS3 with my PS account and of course the saves are in the cloud. I can't copy the saves to an usb drive (system doesn't let me) but if I ever get an used PS3, will the saves download and play on the new system?

I may get a cheap 2nd hand PS3 and I'd love to keep the saves as Demon's Souls is the only of the series that I haven't beat yet.

Yes, I've used that exact method to access my Demon's Souls saves on my GF's PS3.
Just make sure when you're finished playing to manually update the cloud saves, sometimes it doesn't update on the cloud server for some reason!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

It is...stressful, but entirely worth it.

You know what I was all gung ho to play only to find that it's terrifying and had to shut it off as soon as the scary bits started, was SOMA.

Speaking of SOMA, really, Veni veni veni, that's the last Sony game you thought had an interesting story? Are we including like, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Nier (I guess that's like multiplatform now, damnit), and uh Shadow of the Colossus??

Which reminds me, RIME has a great story, and y'all poo poo on it cause the music was too maudlin too often. But play it until the end and you'll find out why! It's great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shadow of the Colossus is 13 years old.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imhotep posted:

You know what I was all gung ho to play only to find that it's terrifying and had to shut it off as soon as the scary bits started, was SOMA..

You should finish it, it's amazing.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-20-fallout-76-review-a-bizarre-boring-and-broken-mess

Yikes

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen a single post about Rime itt. It's just that bland.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Imhotep posted:

You know what I was all gung ho to play only to find that it's terrifying and had to shut it off as soon as the scary bits started, was SOMA.

Speaking of SOMA, really, Veni veni veni, that's the last Sony game you thought had an interesting story? Are we including like, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Nier (I guess that's like multiplatform now, damnit), and uh Shadow of the Colossus??

Which reminds me, RIME has a great story, and y'all poo poo on it cause the music was too maudlin too often. But play it until the end and you'll find out why! It's great.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You should finish it, it's amazing.

There's a mode for those that just want to experience the story that disables damage being inflicted by enemies. They'll still chase you around, but they're not gonna leave you stuck dying repeatedly while you huddle in a corner or anything. SOMA is well worth playing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How am I not being bombarded with angry nerd poo poo in my feeds and such after fallout 76.

JBP fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How is it doing in sales? Did Bethesda finally make a game so bad that everyone in the world didn't buy it anyway?