Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I love lightning strike since it enables a doomstack to annihilate an infinite number of enemy field stacks in sequence. I also love the ridiculously fat -% upkeep bonus for going deep blue that stacks with any -% upkeep your lord and techs might provide that lets you put bigger, nastier stacks in the field faster. Generally I prefer a stack with higher quality base units than a stack with lovely base units with tons of bonuses layered on them, except when the bonuses are wildly overpowered(wood elves are the biggest offenders here).

Most of my non-caster lords end up as hybrid blue/red, since I don't really give a poo poo about yellow tree on combat lords unless I'm messing around because most fighty lords fight well enough without yellow tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

dang i almost never use any of the blue stuff, i guess i should look at what it actually does

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Always go blue first. Economize->Destructionize

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Game 2 blues are good. Game 1 less so unless you’re gunning for lightning strike/are a horde

Except, the +underway interception chance is great for dawi campaigns. Intercepted armies are destroyed outright and it’s near impossible to lose a 1v1 stack fight in an underway map as dwarfs vs orcs. Plus they love underwaying around backcapping since they have more stacks than you. It’s basically 0 effort ambush vs greenskins/skaven/beastmen

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zyla posted:

dang i almost never use any of the blue stuff, i guess i should look at what it actually does

A capstone blue lord from TWW2 has -24% army upkeep just from blue skills, plus a whole bunch of other bonuses.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

throgg is a great character but gw never really did anything good with him. he turns up in the end times to get poo poo on a bunch by sigvald, but fortunately winds up crushing sigvald's head with his hands and then pissing on his corpse.

i wish he was a bit more intellectual in total war, his whole gimmick is that he's the one really intelligent troll and is mad about his whole race being dummies. here's some of his quotes from the lore:

quote:

"What the gods gifted to me can be gifted to another. I will not be the one mind in a race of blunt, witless animals."

quote:

"It is the hubris of men to see their own destiny in all things. Von Carstein. The Everchosen. Dead men. Exalted men. In their skin they are all still men. This...will be the Age of the Beast."

he's apparently in one of the gotrek and felix novels, which i would like to read. i haven't read any of the tie-in fiction so thank you to the people whove posted stuff from the books about be'lakor and archaon in the past couple of pages.

there's yet another prominent nurgle character I forgot off my list, so here we fuckin go again:

Tamurkhan

from maggot lad to maggot lord

Tamurkhan was born far far before the time of sigmar and ulfric, one of the four sons of the Great Kurgan (basically norscan sigmar, he united all the tribes into an empire). probably due to his fathers great favour with the chaos gods, Tamurkhan was born extensively 'blessed' by nurgle. i don't know if the other three sons were each blessed by a chaos god, but it would make sense. But Tamurkhan was born baby-sized, but maggot shaped. He'd grow a little bigger, but never exceed the size of a child.

History does not record his childhood, but i imagine he was a lot like the baby from eraserhead. Constantly yowling, getting fed with a spoon, just a burden on his family of busy barbarians.

Fortunately at some point Tamurkhan came into his true gift: the ability to burrow into the flesh of the living, and wear their body as his own. the body would rot over time, but before it became completely rotten Tamurkhan would retain some of the host's gifts and traits. Then when his rotting form was struck down, he would burst from the corpse and down the throat of whoever had bested him. It was a good system, and sustained him for centuries.

At some point Tamurkhan was drawn, riding his mighty toad dragon Bubebolos, and with his host of nurgle minions, to the dead city at Kadatha, where the chaos gods periodically summoned their champions to do battle with each other. By tradition the winner would take control of the remaining forces of the losers, and lead them in a great horde to bring siege and terror to the cities of man.

Guess who won?

that's right, the slaanesh guy. Sargath the Vain loving dumpstered Tamurkhan in single combat. But you know what's coming next. For once it was the Slaaneshi guy being on the receiving end of an orifice invasion, and Tamurkhan found himself with a sexy new body. Sargath's enchanted voice would come in handy in the time to come, when Tamurkhan led his forces southward.

Unlike most chaos champions, Tamurkhan was a cosmopolitan guy. He recruit the beastmen (usually regarded as lessers by chaos humans), the chaos dwarfs (very tough to move to action), and even wrangled some giants and an ogre tribe into his forces. He had an army to truly be reckoned with.

Sadly though in recruiting the ogre tribe, he had lost his Sargath body. It got torn apart by the tribe's tyrant, leading tamurkhan to possess the massive ogre. And it turned out that being an ogre loving whips rear end, being strong as poo poo and borderline indestructible. the problem was he also inherited some of the ogre's powerful stupidity, and didn't plan as well as he could of on his final assault into the empires of man. He held on to the rotting ogre corpse far longer than he should have, and it weakened him in his final confrontation.

He met his end at Nuln, mostly by the hands of two people: Elspeth Von Draken (very cool dragon riding death wizard, she should be the fourth empire LL imo) the Dark Lady of Nuln, and Theodore Bruckner, champion of the Countess and headsman of Nuln (a gigantic warrior of sinister, secret origins, but very brave regardless). They hatched a plan to super own Tamurkhan, because only by dispatching him could they have a hope of scattering the massive, organised horde they faced.

Bruckner took out Tamurkhan's rotting form in single combat, and Bruckner's massive body made an ideal target for Tamurkhan's possession. What the Maggot Lord didn't know was that Bruckner had been given an amulet prior to the battle by Elspeth, and when the maggot leapt upon him and dug his little maggot teeth into Bruckner's chest, the amulet triggered, immolating Bruckner in a flash of light and fire, taking Tamurkhan with him.

not all was lost though. the tiny maggoty soul of tamurkhan persisted in the warp, and he was reborn again in the age of sigmar to lead nurgle's forces once more.

Tamurkhan is a really compelling choice for a nurgle LL in warhammer 3, to me at least. His body-swapping ability is represented on the tabletop, he can equip different bodies with different abilities and stats. It would be very cool to have a lord with a fixed mount, but a few unlockable bodies to choose from that change how he plays a little bit. He was the focus of a Forgeworld campaign book, called Tamurkhan, which was where chaos dwarfs were reintroduced with new models. He has a shockingly long backstory that I didn't include even half of, check out the length of his page on the warhammer wiki: https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Tamurkhan . CA has used forgeworld exclusive models in the past, like the Fimir, and they will probably be using the forgeworld chaos dwarf stuff, so i am hoping they will bring tamurkhan with them.

I'm a sucker for cute little maggot guys, so i would love to see him. He would also make great material for a vs DLC, Tamurkhan vs Elspeth Von Draken, introducing another legendary lord people would like a lot.

pros:
- cute maggot
- body swappin beats
- a nurgle guy who got to be the focus of a whole campaign
- not racist to beastmen
- turned the tables on a slaanesh creep
- cool toad dragon who is his best friend and cheers every time he swaps bodies

cons:
- very expensive big model
- hard to find good pics of

i hope what people take away from these prediction posts is that regardless of how right or wrong i am, there are a lot of very promising LL picks for WH3. I don't think CA can go wrong with who they pick (except for with slaanesh where i dont really like any of the options apart from the dance demon). I will probably do a post about bone daddy nagash, and the couple of LLs he could conceivably bring with him if he was a faction. I still don't really know what CA would do with a nagash faction, there was a united undead faction in the end times, but it was just existing TK and VC units mashed together. they could potentially bring in age of sigmar nagash minions, but i think that would have to be by agreement with GW and is beyond my ability to predict, in the same way that while i got 3 of the 4 vampire coast lords right, there was a 0% chance i would ever be able to guess Cylostra.

I could also do a post about araby, but the info there is very thin on the ground. There is an Arabyan dreadfleet character I wouldn't put past them to include, but i think at this point the inclusion of an araby faction at all is a bit of a reach.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Blue line is great if your army can already win fights or will be replacing troops often, but it won't be adding any force multipliers to win battles you have no business winning like a crazy spell or stat bonuses to your entire army or murder lord and early game the enemy probably won't be sending 2 stacks at a time to make lightning strike really worthwhile and can be a detriment if you keep a second stack near your lord to reinforce.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eschatos posted:

I feel like the extra replenishment from the blue line is essential, being able to fight a battle every turn is real nice.

If you are playing as Lizardmen you need all those upkeep reductions so that you don't bankrupt your self by fielding a frontline of saurus warriors.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Blue line is great if your army can already win fights or will be replacing troops often, but it won't be adding any force multipliers to win battles you have no business winning like a crazy spell or stat bonuses to your entire army or murder lord and early game the enemy probably won't be sending 2 stacks at a time to make lightning strike really worthwhile and can be a detriment if you keep a second stack near your lord to reinforce.

You can willingly toggle Lightning Strike on and off.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

drat that little maggot dude is cool as heck

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

You can willingly toggle Lightning Strike on and off.

Well aware of that, just saying it'll be a wasted skill point most of the time until you get to the endgame doomstacks of chaos.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The reason I prioritize blue line for Vampire coast is because of overall utility:

Movement speed : pretty much a given.

Recruitment discount : often overlooked, but since each trade building also knocks off 10% recruitment cost as well, you could have a province where a lord is recruiting stuff half off, which becomes nice with higher tier units.

Replenishment: Bread and butter for this faction, you can stack a lot of it and being able to rapidly bounce back from battles saves time and money.

Post battle loot: Underrated given how many fights you can start. This faction also gets some useful items and followers as well. Repeatedly sacking a settlement improves the chances you'll get something as well.

Sea leadership+sacking: Also very useful. Sack, then cove is a useful strategy to build up money and not get bogged down in an area.

+1 veterancy: Makes all your units, particularly missile units better.

Lightning Strike: already mentioned many times. It can particularly be a lifesaver when sieged by multiple armies- target the weaker stack and when you win the stronger one will likely give up the siege.

Ship growth and construction discount: Good to get early on, stack with carpenter, build anchor and sail asap and you'll max out your murder ship in no time.

Upkeep : stacks with research discounts though more significant if you have a bunch of high tier units/RoR.

Capstone: Gives you another +1 veterancy, raise dead discount, and extra movement. Very good.

Going through these you build up the benefits exponentially over the course of the campaign. The other skills are good too, but the reason I don't prioritize them is because they are either contingent on a certain unit or only relevant in battle, while the blue skills tend to be relevant nearly every turn. Boosting your lords stats and magic is good too (Lore of deeps in particular has a lot of useful spells) but every turn you're not fighting is a turn it isn't benefiting you.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Well aware of that, just saying it'll be a wasted skill point most of the time until you get to the endgame doomstacks of chaos.

I'd say it depends a lot on what faction you play, for example the dwarfs get huge mileage out of it as soon as they can put a skill in it, being able to disable a waaagh from the host army is huge and can make or break a campaign.
Most my campaigns lately haven't made it to the chaos invasion doomstacks and I still get great value out of that one skill point.

My problem with lightning strike is that its often way too good in the players hands, it would be more balanced if you had a limit to have many times you could LS in a single turn or otherwise make it have some kind of drawback (like give the army a reduced vigor debuff or take away campaign movement range after its been used etc).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If you don't mind, I'd like to do a post on Neferata, as she's one of my all time favorite WarHams characters, just because I think she manages to overcome the stereotypes she's given and become great. Also because I'm a sucker for vampires. :drac:

Neferata, Queen of Mysteries

Her OG model is olde as hell but I can respect a good Elvira.

I am not the biggest fan of her End Times look, so I hope they go with something more inspired by her original appearance.

Neferata was a princess of Lahmia, and sadly being a girl in Warhammer, had a life that was dictated to her. Despite showing talent for being a mage, she was prevented from joining the Mortuary cult and was told all she could do was govern her city, a lowly job for the death obsessed Nehekarans. To spite her father, she began safeguarding the texts of Nagash, with the aid of W'soran, a priest and servant of Nagash, though she was unaware of this. She mastered Nagash's magic, and she began to work on what even Nagash couldn't do, to have immortal life while keeping your looks. This leads to her creating the Elixir of Life, meaning all vampires everywhere are the direct result of her effort, though W'soran 'helped'. It is hinted that Neferata had feelings for Khalida, and she tried to convince her cousin to join her. Khalida rejected and they had their famous duel, leading to Khalida's death and Neferata's exposure to her court.

Neferata swiftly made the most powerful people in Lahmia vampires, ensuring their loyalty as they set about ruling the city. These vampires included Abhorash and her brother Ushoran. This did not go very well for the Lahmians, as vampirism drove them to great cruelty in their lust for blood. Neferata, seeking to control her position, tempts the mother of Alcadizaar to Lahmia, as he was destined to be the next King of Nehekara and she wanted him on her side. She gave him some of her blood, giving him unnatural life but not making him a vampire. He eventually found out about her though, and he fled. When he returned to become king, his first target was Lahmia. Vashanesh was to be a master tactician for him, but he was also of Nagash's bloodline and he went to Lahmia to warn them. For this Neferata made him a vampire and married him.

Even with all this though, the vampires eventually lost and Lahmia was destroyed. Neferata was pissed at this and vowed to rebuild it's splendor. However, it was at this point when W'soran and Nagash played their hand. W'soran had tainted her Elixir of Life, leading to the vampire's lust for blood and provided an in for Nagash to control them. Nagash meanwhile shows up to Vashanesh and gives him a magical ring that would bring him back to life, the Von Carstein ring, while letting Nagash control the vampires. Unlike to his buddy Arkhan though, Nagash was a dick to the vampires, treating them no differently from his skeleton legions. As thinking beings and powerful sorcerers this did not make them happy. Vlad came up with the plan to get killed while wearing the ring, freeing the other vampires, and leading to Nagash's big defeat.

Neferata eventually makes her way to the SIlver Pinacle and establishes the Lahmian bloodline. She took all this as an object lesson in the fact that men suck and are awful. She would only rarely allow men to become Lahmians, and even then they were kept on a short leash. Her inner circle were all women. And through this she established a spy network that is the envy of the world, having influence in every human kingdom and even some of the dawi holds. Neferata herself plans to find some way to free herself from Nagash's lingering hold on her and to rebuild Lahmia, all while trolling Khalida.

As well she has a shapeshifting vampire who is her 'close companion'. She is named Naamia and is madly in love with Neferata, though it's kept ambiguous if Neferata returns her feelings.

Of course the End Times ruins this ambiguity with her becoming afraid of Nagash and siding with him. Yet another example of why the End Times is awful. The only redeeming bit is Neferata and Khalida acting on the same side to save what humans they could, but for very different reasons.

So that's Neferata, badass vampire queen and one of my favorite characters. I'd love to see the Lahmian's in TWW, but not really as part of Nagash's faction. However it is unknown how much freedom CA in their portrayal. Vlad for example is stuck with no nose as in the End Times. Depending on whether Amazon's get in would determine how much I want Lahmians as we have a glut of vampires, but I'd love an all woman faction that's split between the living and the undead, with small vampire units being their elites ala Depth Guard, with no zombies or skeletons.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 20, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Elspeth von Draken herself is fine, the Carmine Dragon can go in the loving trash with Demigryphs, as something that should never have been associated with Empire to begin with.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I could also do a post about araby, but the info there is very thin on the ground. There is an Arabyan dreadfleet character I wouldn't put past them to include, but i think at this point the inclusion of an araby faction at all is a bit of a reach.

You could do a post about the various new toys/characters each faction got in End Times.

And Age of Sigmar factions for the inevitable TW:AOS.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord Koth posted:

Elspeth von Draken herself is fine, the Carmine Dragon can go in the loving trash with Demigryphs, as something that should never have been associated with Empire to begin with.

The Empire's had a dragon for a long time. It lives in the Imperial Zoo in Altdorf, and Karl Franz can ride it when he wants.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

The Empire's had a dragon for a long time. It lives in the Imperial Zoo in Altdorf, and Karl Franz can ride it when he wants.

the scene, the Altdorf Zoo:

Head Zookeeper: "guys, uh, the Emperor is here...."

other zookeepers: "..."

Head Zookeeper: "He wants to ride the dragon again."

other zookeepers: *collective groan*

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Cythereal posted:

You kind of said it yourself there, the Empire has A dragon. As in ONE. Singular. It's a unique attraction. Not, "oh, someone in Nuln's had another one for as long as we can remember." Also, it's left in the Zoo virtually all the time, with Franz basically always taking Deathclaw in any situation it wasn't absolutely vital, rather than being ridden around everywhere the Emperor goes.

I legitimately would have been more okay with it being a Zombie Dragon she'd ripped control of from some vampire or another. And I say that knowing full well what the opinions of the Amethyst School's opinion on undeath is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord Koth posted:

You kind of said it yourself there, the Empire has A dragon. As in ONE. Singular. It's a unique attraction. Not, "oh, someone in Nuln's had another one for as long as we can remember." Also, it's left in the Zoo virtually all the time, with Franz basically always taking Deathclaw in any situation it wasn't absolutely vital, rather than being ridden around everywhere the Emperor goes.

I legitimately would have been more okay with it being a Zombie Dragon she'd ripped control of from some vampire or another. And I say that knowing full well what the opinions of the Amethyst School's opinion on undeath is.

I don't get the issue with one of the Empire's supreme archmages having a dragon. That seems like the kind of thing archmages should have, or something equally fancy.

IIRC, the Carmine Dragon is explicitly stated to not be a normal kind of dragon but some kind of magical creature - more so than a normal dragon, that is.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I just thought of a way to make Sartosan units really fun. Change their passive to 'cursed men' which makes them vigor immune and when they get wiped out or shattered, respawn as 'Sartosan Dead' which have identical stats but count as undead (and lose the vigor immunity).

As a living unit, they fight as long as possible. Ideally you have them transform instead of running off the map, because once they do they jump back to full health and unit size. After the battle, they're permanently undead so each unit card can only do this trick once.

This gives them a unique form of durability, since each one is really two which will make a big difference in a long, meatgrinder battle.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

You could do a post about the various new toys/characters each faction got in End Times.

And Age of Sigmar factions for the inevitable TW:AOS.

i'm not 100% sure of what units got added in end times, im pretty bad with the tabletop game, ive never played it, i just like reading about the lore online

Eimi posted:

If you don't mind, I'd like to do a post on Neferata, as she's one of my all time favorite WarHams characters, just because I think she manages to overcome the stereotypes she's given and become great. Also because I'm a sucker for vampires. :drac:

[good post stuff]

So that's Neferata, badass vampire queen and one of my favorite characters. I'd love to see the Lahmian's in TWW, but not really as part of Nagash's faction. However it is unknown how much freedom CA in their portrayal. Vlad for example is stuck with no nose as in the End Times. Depending on whether Amazon's get in would determine how much I want Lahmians as we have a glut of vampires, but I'd love an all woman faction that's split between the living and the undead, with small vampire units being their elites ala Depth Guard, with no zombies or skeletons.

hell yeah! a top notch post

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Pretty cool that CA added an ending cutscene for Kemmler after giving him a new start, just wish they went back and added scenes for all the other Game 1 factions.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Necroskowitz posted:

Pretty cool that CA added an ending cutscene for Kemmler after giving him a new start, just wish they went back and added scenes for all the other Game 1 factions.

this loving rules

edit: looks like they gave ghorst one too, although I've never seen his old one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htLpEDAXbqI

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 20, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lord Koth posted:

That’s not the only dragon in the Empire. It’s the only one in the Altdorf zoo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lord Koth posted:

Demigryphs own, sucka. :colbert:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I mean I haven't played everyone but Grombrindal has a small blue line that buffs your entire faction with things like +3 ranks to all recruits so I always buy that poo poo out.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, Grombrindal is still technically an intentionally-OP LL. I dunno if Vlad is also as potent but that's their lore.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

man, noctilus has the most amazing animations on the battle field. he does the drat chad walk everywhere

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I think the importance of the blue line comes into play more so on the higher difficulties as it often gives you upkeep reductions which makes the money crunch less of a problem for certain factions. Plus, when every single 1 province minor is making GBS threads out multiple doomstacks, lightning strike can really even out the playing field.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
I rarely go down the blue line at all for most factions and I play L/VH. Saying that to each their own, there's no wrong way really to build a LL. Well unless you grab points in the red skill/combat lines and don't use those units/keep your LL out of combat. I do usually pick up the dreaded slaver(?) one for dark elves, and grombrindal is a must to go down his blue line it's too good. As far as economy goes, you only really need those upkeep reductions if you plan to get out more armies quicker then you should, i.e. ignoring diplomacy/total war AI and getting yourself into wars on multiple fronts.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I like the blue line because I want Mazda Monday to have a full stack of Ancient Stegadons and still be able to field other armies!

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Im pushing the blue line on kroq gar right now, beacause a near zero upkeep saurus army is a beautiful thing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mordja posted:

Demigryphs own, sucka. :colbert:

Demigryphs rule. I don't know how someone can take offense to them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

Demigryphs rule. I don't know how someone can take offense to them.

“The lore (as it existed when I was 12)”

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Were they different or something?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jokes posted:

They didn't exist. Empire was boring and only had horses.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

lord skrolks main weakness is i dont think he says 'rik a tay rak a tah' when he moves places

although my favourite line is when you click a grey seer lord and they whisper let the bell screem screeeem

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

jokes posted:

They were a completely new unit introduced with 8th edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Demigryphs catch a lot of flak because they were part of the 8th edition "monsterization" of Fantasy, when they decided they wanted to do what 40k was doing with knights/titans, but in Fantasy, and push huge giant setpiece models that cost a bazillion dollars. Every army got giant monster mounts or monster units and often got monster cavalry, and many of these units(such as demis) were extremely powerful and better bang for the points than previously standard options.

Part of the reason the End Times turned every character into Goku was so they could try selling $150 models of Nagash shooting lightning out of his skleeton dick.