Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

I knew Tom Cruise was a nut but I didn't know he was also a pile of trash.

He's been a scientologist for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

I for one welcome our robot top overlords

I mean yes same just not that one

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean yes same just not that one

He's got that weird Dane Dehaan energy that really does it for me

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It's been heavily rumored that Travolta was trying to leave the church after his son passed away. It was clear his son had autism and Scientology forbids psychiatric medications (man I wonder why this is) so his son never received the care he was supposed to. The rumor is he couldn't leave because the church has the audio of him talking about his homosexuality during the auditing process. Apparently Travolta is a nice dude, though incredibly odd. Also the whole masseuse harassment scandal...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I do legit wonder how much of Cruise being horrible is him being completely brainwashed by a horrible cult with weird lovely beliefs. Like out of all the famous Scientologists, Cruise always seemed in the deepest.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

This is a running theme with Spielberg.

Very much so and I've talked about it quite a bit. It's just that Catch Me If You Can is Spielberg wearing his father abandonment issues right on his sleeve, far moreso than probably any of his other movies outside of maybe Jurassic Park or Close Encounters, so ... no poo poo. You seem oddly antagonistic today / tonight.

axelblaze posted:

I do legit wonder how much of Cruise being horrible is him being completely brainwashed by a horrible cult with weird lovely beliefs. Like out of all the famous Scientologists, Cruise always seemed in the deepest.

If Katie Holmes is to be believed, and I don't think there's any reason to not believe her, Cruise is legitimately nuts and has fully bought into Xenu and all that poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL channel your anger into the Star Wars thread

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Very much so and I've talked about it quite a bit. It's just that Catch Me If You Can is Spielberg wearing his father abandonment issues right on his sleeve, far moreso than probably any of his other movies outside of maybe Jurassic Park or Close Encounters, so ... no poo poo. You seem oddly antagonistic today / tonight.

If Katie Holmes is to be believed, and I don't think there's any reason to not believe her, Cruise is legitimately nuts and has fully bought into Xenu and all that poo poo.

Yeah but that might be a result of being in for decades and having his brain loving warped by a cult that was at his Beck and call

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah but that might be a result of being in for decades and having his brain loving warped by a cult that was at his Beck and call

Yeah, I have a hard time being angry at Tom Cruise as an individual in the same way I have a hard time being angry at Jake Paul as an individual, the systems and structures that created them have harmed so many other people that it just seems useless to blame the individual instead of that system which has caused so much more pain. I don't blame my nose when I have a cold, right?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

sponges posted:

Ed Asner is still alive

I'm reading that in this tone in the middle of Ezra Miller/Adventure Time chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QyY4jei6rM

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
If Bronson Pinchot's Random Roles is the truth, Tom Cruise was a piece of poo poo before Scientology. Also Booger recently gave an interview where he mentioned Cruise's religious hypocrisy while filming Risky Business.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

James Woods Fan posted:

It's been heavily rumored that Travolta was trying to leave the church after his son passed away. It was clear his son had autism and Scientology forbids psychiatric medications (man I wonder why this is) so his son never received the care he was supposed to. The rumor is he couldn't leave because the church has the audio of him talking about his homosexuality during the auditing process. Apparently Travolta is a nice dude, though incredibly odd. Also the whole masseuse harassment scandal...

So whats stopping him now that his son is dead? It would hardly be shocking to anyone if they outed him and its not like anyone (esp in hollywood) would give a poo poo anyway. He's 64 its not exactly going to destroy his career. Seems more like he'd rather live the B-team celebrity scientologist life than not.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress Adventure Time.

Adventure Time was good at some point as opposed to Invader Zim which sucked from the get

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Broke: Adventure Time
Joke: Regular Show
Woke: Xavier Renegade Angel

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

James Woods Fan posted:

I think it was the untreated seizure disorder rather than the autism that killed the kid

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sponges posted:

Adventure Time was good at some point as opposed to Invader Zim which sucked from the get

Adventure Time can choke on em.

My guts I mean.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Broke brain: Rick and Morty
Woke brain: 12 oz Mouse

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

The dude that plays aquaman is pretty fun it'll probably be better than justice League at least

No he's not. He's just attractive. He's not a good enough actor to be "fun". People project "fun bro" onto him because he looks the part, but I've never gotten that out of any of his performances.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

The Peccadillo posted:

I think it was the untreated seizure disorder rather than the autism that killed the kid

You are correct.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

precision posted:

I mean, he's a high ranking Scientologist so of course he is

I kind of figured they were less of a cult and more of a tax shelter or some kind of scam like that.

James Woods Fan posted:

If they're just blackmailing him with proof that he's gay he should just come out. No one's really going to give a poo poo and it's not 1950, he'll still get work and then they won't have anything to hold over him.

Timby posted:

I wasn't really implying anything by that, I was just throwing it out there because it gets talked about a lot in reference to his movies.

CelticPredator posted:

CPL channel your anger into the Star Wars thread

That would be an exercise in masochism if there ever was one.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I see what you did there.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Just got a youtube ad for sperm donation with the campaign title "get a grip"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

The Peccadillo posted:

Just got a youtube ad for sperm donation with the campaign title "get a grip"

I once got a Facebook ad that used some combination of the words "Bangkok" and "gay cruise" that was definitely not done by mistake.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Lurdiak posted:

No he's not. He's just attractive. He's not a good enough actor to be "fun". People project "fun bro" onto him because he looks the part, but I've never gotten that out of any of his performances.

Yeah I mean there's a reason his best performance involves subtitles. He's no The Rock, let alone Ahnuld.

Also bonus movie fact: Carl Weathers is in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

porfiria posted:

Yeah I mean there's a reason his best performance involves subtitles. He's no The Rock, let alone Ahnuld.

Denzel is in Death Wish.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Adventure Time was legit great in its early seasons, then it somehow became a 14 year old's LiveJournal fan fiction of Adventure Time.

James Woods Fan posted:

Yeah, not exactly sympathetic to the guy if he chose the church over his son's life.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I remember talking to my ex about it when it happened, with her saying "he killed his son by withholding meds because of his cult", but I was like ... You don't know that, you have an untreated seizure disorder too and fall down in the bathroom all the goddamn time, and that doesn't have anything to do with scientology or having a bad dad

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Adventure Time can choke on em.

My guts I mean.

You dumb

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’re a gently caress

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
One of these days someone’s gonna shoot a satellite dish somewhere and Tom Cruise is gonna age 60 years in a minute.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

He's excellent in The Bad Batch. That movie just wouldn't work as well without him.

banned from Starbucks posted:

So whats stopping him now that his son is dead? It would hardly be shocking to anyone if they outed him and its not like anyone (esp in hollywood) would give a poo poo anyway. He's 64 its not exactly going to destroy his career. Seems more like he'd rather live the B-team celebrity scientologist life than not.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, not exactly sympathetic to the guy if he chose the church over his son's life.

You don't just "leave" Scientology. It's not like how you can just stop going to your temple or stop being Catholic. The whole "sign up" process has you relive trauma repeatedly while being recorded. They systematically brainwash and break you while making notes of everything. They have powerful lawyers with infinite pockets and time. Don't think give out special web browsers that censor the news and poo poo? They have a network of spies, stalkers and harrassers to bother anyone that tries to leave or messes with members.

The only way to leave 'religious' organizations like Scientology and the Church of the Latter Day Saints is to basically die. I dunno how folks like Leah Ramini manage it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm only basing this on Nathan Rabin's review of her book but I think Leah Ramini basically got out by willingly revealing anything Scientology had on her and then just fighting them at every turn when they tried other techniques. She has the money to ward off their bullshit and she's not willing to be quiet about any of it so I think these days they're mainly reactive to her

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

axelblaze posted:

I'm only basing this on Nathan Rabin's review of her book but I think Leah Ramini basically got out by willingly revealing anything Scientology had on her and then just fighting them at every turn when they tried other techniques. She has the money to ward off their bullshit and she's not willing to be quiet about any of it so I think these days they're mainly reactive to her

Yeah, that seems to be the only way to do it, which sounds exhausting.

I remember Harris Wittles talking about Scientology. His girlfriend was deep in the church of scientology, and he was struggling with heroin addiction. He went to their rehab center, which he said was beautiful and nice, and everyone he met was just the nicest person and supportive. He described it like the weird off-putting perfection of The Stepford Wives. He didn't follow through after his first meeting, and the church, he assumes, made her cut all contact with him after they creeped him out. He sought rehab somewhere else, and, well, relapsed and died.

The point is, like many other religions and organizations, at first everything seems great and beautiful and perfect, like the religion worked for those people. Once you're in, they hook you, and the price to get out is either 1) die, or 2) exist in the public eye as a whistleblower, meanwhile everyone you love and care for--friends and family and loved ones--in the church are completely removed from your life.

S'hosed up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Franchescanado posted:

The only way to leave 'religious' organizations like Scientology and the Church of the Latter Day Saints is to basically die. I dunno how folks like Leah Ramini manage it.

I think she replaced it with Catholicism.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

Whoosh

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also love the people who don't understand how abuse warps your brain on a small scale let alone a big one like a cult with millions of dollars getting indignant about behavior caused by being in that cult

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Franchescanado posted:

He's excellent in The Bad Batch. That movie just wouldn't work as well without him.

He's in a decent little wintry thriller called Braven where he's a logger stuck in a cabin in the woods fending off Garret Dillahunt and his goons. Stephen Lang plays his dad. It was a good time.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Tom Cruise, on phone with the Vatican: " listen, you don't wanna mess with this. We killed a man who . ."
The Pope: "A man, like singular? Lol uh oh, watch out for these guys!"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The other thing with Scientology is it's like specifically made to appeal to people with mental illness. Like one of it's central tenants is that all mental illness and bad feeling are caused by alien ghosts. To someone that wants to think they are in full control of themselves, it makes you feel way better if you can convince yourself that all your problems are being caused by an single external force rather than being forced to accept there's some parts of you that are not working correctly and you need help. From everything I know about Cruise (which admittedly still isn't that much), you can see why this whole thing would just dig itself completely into his particular brain.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

James Woods Fan posted:

I was listening to Filter (shut up) and I was wracking my brain trying to remember who the lead singer was brothers with. T1000? Really? Man I was way off. I thought it was the douche from Sugar Ray or something.

Fun fact, the guitar riff from Hey Man Nice Shot was borrowed from the superior Ungod by Stabbing Westward, because the same guitarist played for both bands at the time.

Skwirl posted:

Drunk driving is different from being drunk. and I'll amend my rules to put "not be racist" in between 1 and 2. Though it's mystifying to me that Mel Gibson is basically blackballed from the industry and Woody Allen is still making movies.

Hacksaw Ridge was nominated for multiple academy awards and won 2, and he starred in the family comedy Daddy’s Home 2.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

lol

banned from Starbucks posted:

He’s been in an anti-gay cult for decades, it’s extremely difficult to overcome that amount of brainwashing and self-hatred.

porfiria posted:

Lance Henriksen is also in Close Encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also the church is real big on cutting off contact with anyone who leaves

Imahine just completely losing large parts of your support network over night, it's loving terrifying