Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

Oh, on the contrary. Out of every RPG Bethesda's made Morrowind had enough crazy mobility stuff going on through beefing up certain stats that a map with a bunch of platforming elements would probably be really interesting.

Those features and ways to break the game aren't around anymore, so any Bethesda game since like, Skyrim would be terrible at it.

Any Bethesda game since immediately after Morrowind would be unable to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kitfox88 posted:

76 is such a lovely cash in that I'm blown away by it.

There's like nearly nothing good about it, it's almost amazing, the only quality it has is "The map is kinda neat" and "BUT [GAME] WITH FRIENDS" if you're one of those people. Everything else is a pathetic mess and a waste.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

kazil posted:

Did it though?

Unity's Paris is a great city and deserves a better game. The game has a bunch of problems (some of which are fixed now, some of which are built into the foundations of the game) but the setting itself wasn't one of them.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

There's like nearly nothing good about it, it's almost amazing, the only quality it has is "The map is kinda neat" and "BUT [GAME] WITH FRIENDS" if you're one of those people. Everything else is a pathetic mess and a waste.
Overheard someone talking about the game today. Is it true that you can’t play on a private server? You have to play it online and with randoms?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HairyManling posted:

Overheard someone talking about the game today. Is it true that you can’t play on a private server? You have to play it online and with randoms?

correct. you can at least invite friends onto the same server as you, but there will still be complete randos in the same world as you

Buddy_Cthulhu
Jun 10, 2005

Samuringa posted:

I definitely won't remember details right now, but the thing that I remember standing out the most about AC3 is that the Templars seemed quite...reasonable? There was one who was a drunken rear end in a top hat, but I don't remember any of them being obvious assholes like the previous games and they were right about George Washington being a dick, as it turns out he was the one who sent the attack against your village, thus negating the entire motivation that Connor had against the Templars in the game.

Yeah, it kinda sucks the fun out playing when you find yourself nodding in agreement every time the "villains" point out that a you're a loving moron constantly shooting yourself in the foot.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

correct. you can at least invite friends onto the same server as you, but there will still be complete randos in the same world as you
That sounds terrible. I don’t know much about programming, but is it really time or resource consuming to implement a password system like the later Soulsborne games have? Seems like something Bethesda did on purpose because reasons.. Or am I missing the point entirely and there’s a good reason you’d want random people in your game? I was thinking of getting this for my son for Christmas, but everything I’m hearing about it sounds like it sucks.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Der Kyhe posted:

If we ever get Fallout 5 (or F4: location) I am certain that this will be somehow incorporated, because this along with the rest of the FO Tactics 2 concept things are the ones of the last things from the Fallout Bible we have not seen so far.

The Nuka-World DLC for FO4 already has Gatorclaws, which are Deathclaws, except the base animal was an alligator.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I would love for Yakuza 0 to stop freezing when I go to save.

Pretty sure I have to rebuy every business in the Mars district now and make friends with the videostore guy again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HairyManling posted:

That sounds terrible. I don’t know much about programming, but is it really time or resource consuming to implement a password system like the later Soulsborne games have? Seems like something Bethesda did on purpose because reasons.. Or am I missing the point entirely and there’s a good reason you’d want random people in your game? I was thinking of getting this for my son for Christmas, but everything I’m hearing about it sounds like it sucks.

Private servers are coming in around a year. My guess is Bethesda wants to also find a way to lock them to their paid mods scheme before allowing it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

I would love for Yakuza 0 to stop freezing when I go to save.

Pretty sure I have to rebuy every business in the Mars district now and make friends with the videostore guy again.

Yep. Great. That was so much fun the first time. This game is getting shelved again.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

What impresses me is they took out npcs and then made the map size 4 times bigger than fallout 4, and came to the conclusion that 26 players per server was a good cap.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It still, to this day, blows my loving mind that while South America had natives, cool native religions alongside with mad cool native architecture you could tie into their metagame, obsidian blades, gold mad Spaniards, Cathedrals, interesting history that hasn't been done to death in awful movies, they decide to make a game that's "random indian dude witnesses boring events of boring country while standing next to villains doing nothing"

They didn't even have the balls to really go for the Assassins siding with the British and the Templars with the treacherous Americans, which might have been at least a slight twist to it.

oh dope posted:

It's not just you, believe me. Unless you're actually from Boston the landmarks are pretty obscure. I'm pretty sure most Americans couldn't pick the Bunker Hill memorial or the Old North Church out of a lineup. The one and only remotely recognizable landmark to me was Fenway Park, and even that isn't a well known structure.
I remember taking the Freedom trail irl and then doing it in a game and uhhhhhh

I wasn't impressed, to say the least.

Der Kyhe posted:

I'd venture a guess that the place was selected because it has "generic eastern region, USA" feel to it but still some real-life locations since that is how Fallout games roll. I mean, put the game in the middle of Kansas and you do not have to worry about Z axis at all. And if it fails, they still have Miami, New Orleans and Chicago for the future titles.

A bit similarly as with Skyrim map, which was "Carcassone: Norway, Iceland and Greenland edition"
Yeahhhhhh, no. Morrowind looks more like Iceland does and Greenland is a completely different set from anything in that game as far as I remember, aside from the slightly generic coast. (Except maybe that part under the ice?)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

They didn't even have the balls to really go for the Assassins siding with the British and the Templars with the treacherous Americans, which might have been at least a slight twist to it.
Though they did try with Unity which has some really reactionary views on the French Revolution.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Though they did try with Unity which has some really reactionary views on the French Revolution.

how so(haven't played it, genuinely curious)?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THis biggest problem with AC3 was that I was able to miss a large number of assassination targets because I didn't bother with the Naval missions, and half of them were killed in ship battles, so at the end Connor is taking down the portraits, and I'm like "Wait, who was that and when the gently caress did he die?"

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Judge Tesla posted:

I'll take it over Fallout: London where every bandit is yelling "Cor blmey guv'nor! Tea and facking crumpets innit!"

yeah, We Happy Few was poo poo

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Never finished that one because they decided to give everyone despicable anglo accents and even setting everyone into speaking French wasn't enough to wash the stain of a, sorta dull, story away

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I can't imagine playing AC3 and skipping the naval stuff.

Brother Entropy posted:

how so(haven't played it, genuinely curious)?

The Templars are behind the revolution, for one. At the end of Rogue they say they were inspired by the Assassin's support for the American revolution and they exacerbate tensions by causing food riots etc so they can blame the nobility, with the eventual goal of taking control themselves after the people become weary of chaos.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I can't imagine playing AC3 and skipping the naval stuff.

The Templars are behind the revolution, for one. At the end of Rogue they say they were inspired by the Assassin's support for the American revolution and they exacerbate tensions by causing food riots etc so they can blame the nobility, with the eventual goal of taking control themselves after the people become weary of chaos.

lmao

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

What's dragging down Fallout 4 for me is that as someone who isn't American, I feel no connection to the setting.

Fallout 3 has big internationally recognisable landmarks in DC; New Vegas had the Strip, the dam, Elvis fans and a bunch of tropes lifted from old Westerns.

But Fallout 4 is just... there. The early game particularly feels just super generic. There aren't any internationally famous locations to fight your way to. Fallout 76 looks even more like this from the trailers.

I had the complete opposite problem. I'm from the area and all the places I wanted to see were super lovely crude versions of them. I knew they would be smaller than real life but it was like going to a minigolf version made by someone who looked at a couple postcards a month before they worked on the maps.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Grundma posted:

I had the complete opposite problem. I'm from the area and all the places I wanted to see were super lovely crude versions of them. I knew they would be smaller than real life but it was like going to a minigolf version made by someone who looked at a couple postcards a month before they worked on the maps.
I'm not from there and I still know a town has more than two streets.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Does Hitman 2 still have that weird thing where native speakers from a nation have a completely bland American accent when they talk? Like, in Hitman (2016) a Moroccan man will walk up to me and say in a very plain American voice "oh didn't see you there " and its jarring as all hell.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
My roommate picked up Pokemon Let's Go Eevee. It's gotten pretty good critic reviews and I'm not saying nothin' that would hamper her fun, but it seems to be a piece of garbage??? It's a remake of Red/Blue/Yellow (again) except the gameplay is ludicrously simplified to the point where failing at anything seems drat near impossible. It's not like Red/Blue/Yellow was hard (besides that one cave with endless zubats) so it's kinda baffling.

The silliest thing is that it has a two player mode where you have two Pokemon out at once and each player gives them commands, but your NPC opponent does not adjust for this at all, so you just get two moves for every one of your opponent's and you can steamroll the gyms so hard that none of the NPCs can even land a single attack.

I know it's not a mainline Pokemon game, but yeesh!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Whatev posted:

My roommate picked up Pokemon Let's Go Eevee. It's gotten pretty good critic reviews and I'm not saying nothin' that would hamper her fun, but it seems to be a piece of garbage??? It's a remake of Red/Blue/Yellow (again) except the gameplay is ludicrously simplified to the point where failing at anything seems drat near impossible. It's not like Red/Blue/Yellow was hard (besides that one cave with endless zubats) so it's kinda baffling.

The silliest thing is that it has a two player mode where you have two Pokemon out at once and each player gives them commands, but your NPC opponent does not adjust for this at all, so you just get two moves for every one of your opponent's and you can steamroll the gyms so hard that none of the NPCs can even land a single attack.

It's not good.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Whatev posted:

the weirdest thing about LG is seeing internet people and critics suddenly have to pretend that previous pokemon games were impenetrable and hard in order to defend it from criticism

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm just confused what the target audience is. Mainline Pokemon games haven't really ever been super difficult for kids, so the excessive streamlining and simplification seems a bit weird.

I guess they mainly want the audience that has never played anything that is not on a phone, but I feel like a 300 buck console and a 60 buck is a really hard sale for that crowd.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Attestant posted:

I'm just confused what the target audience is.
People in their late 20s and early 30s who played Pokemon Red and Blue as kids but haven't touched the series since.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

FactsAreUseless posted:

People in their late 20s and early 30s who played Pokemon Red and Blue as kids but haven't touched the series since.

This is me and I can confirm that the Let's Go games have piqued my interest in Pokemon for the first time in like fifteen years.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Schubalts posted:

The Nuka-World DLC for FO4 already has Gatorclaws, which are Deathclaws, except the base animal was an alligator.

Somehow I completely overlooked this but yeah, they are already in. So Denver it is then?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Grundma posted:

Whats funny about that is that we first learned that FO4 was going to be set in Boston because Bethesda employees were scouting locations there.

The real problem is that the game sucks. I think we could all overlook the numerous minor flaws if the entire game had been as good as Far Harbor.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OutOfPrint posted:

Fallout: Philadelphia with Camden across the river would be interesting. Maybe have the Bethesda Big Quest Before the Main City be a trip across the ruined Ben Franklin bridge.

I was gonna post this. Only real issue with doing Philadelphia is how most of the city is a grid with nothing but row houses.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think Fallout 3 and New Vegas benefited from location in large part because of the fact that Bethesda's open worlds of that generation all seemed to have a similar design philosophy: there's a point on the map so easily visible that you can always navigate by it. It's an approach that has its benefits and flaws, but it means that all of those games had to design around a central point, and make that point feel big and important.

In Oblivion, it was the White-Gold Tower and the Imperial City. And so the Imperial City became the biggest singular location in the game, to justify the fact it was visible from near-everywhere.
In Fallout 3, it's the ruined D.C. skyline, most noticeably the Washington Monument. That's a fantastic use of the whole design concept, because it gives a whole lot of space for the designers to play, a really nice sense of scope, and they're sort of forced to make really iconic areas.
And in New Vegas (not strictly Bethesda, but likely borrowing the design concept) it's of course the Lucky 38 and the Strip. Which suits, it's not just the center of the population but also the center of the story.

But they abandoned that design approach with Skyrim, probably because it made the world seem awfully small. But that sort of bit them in future Fallout planning, I think, because it meant they didn't have to make iconic, recognizable central locations anymore. And in their hands with Fallout, that just means a whole bunch of uninspiring ruins and maybe one or two landmarks that are maybe sorta recognizable.

A Fallout set in Chicago or New York would probably go really well, but you'd have to hope for the Fallout 3-era willingness to have distantly recognizable landmarks.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Attestant posted:

I'm just confused what the target audience is. Mainline Pokemon games haven't really ever been super difficult for kids, so the excessive streamlining and simplification seems a bit weird.

I guess they mainly want the audience that has never played anything that is not on a phone, but I feel like a 300 buck console and a 60 buck is a really hard sale for that crowd.

What's crazy is that I've only heard great things about it from my friends, none of whom play video games regularly. I think that's the target audience. Or maybe gamers are just awful people who can't like anything

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sims 4 Get Famous doesn't let me make vlogs of my cat :saddowns:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Evilreaver posted:

I think a "global warming has sunk Miami, now the entire game is basically Mirror's Edge-ing from building to building; settlements are essentially treehouses of bridged buildings" would make a good Fallout

Rather than Fallout, I’d love it if they made a GTA set in post-climate change sunken NYC where the city is a shell of its former self, everyone gets around on boats, and there are stilll gangs vying for turf control

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nostradingus posted:

What's crazy is that I've only heard great things about it from my friends, none of whom play video games regularly. I think that's the target audience. Or maybe gamers are just awful people who can't like anything

There are a lot of Pokemon Go players who don't play console based video games, so I was assuming them tbh

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I think Fallout 3 and New Vegas benefited from location in large part because of the fact that Bethesda's open worlds of that generation all seemed to have a similar design philosophy: there's a point on the map so easily visible that you can always navigate by it. It's an approach that has its benefits and flaws, but it means that all of those games had to design around a central point, and make that point feel big and important.

In Oblivion, it was the White-Gold Tower and the Imperial City. And so the Imperial City became the biggest singular location in the game, to justify the fact it was visible from near-everywhere.
In Fallout 3, it's the ruined D.C. skyline, most noticeably the Washington Monument. That's a fantastic use of the whole design concept, because it gives a whole lot of space for the designers to play, a really nice sense of scope, and they're sort of forced to make really iconic areas.
And in New Vegas (not strictly Bethesda, but likely borrowing the design concept) it's of course the Lucky 38 and the Strip. Which suits, it's not just the center of the population but also the center of the story.

But they abandoned that design approach with Skyrim, probably because it made the world seem awfully small.

Actually you can see The Throat of The World from just about everywhere in Skyrim, and the High Hrothgar Monastery from much of it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Agents are GO! posted:

Actually you can see The Throat of The World from just about everywhere in Skyrim, and the High Hrothgar Monastery from much of it.

You can also see the Boston skyscrapers or Brotherhood of Steel airship from just about everywhere in the main FO4 map, weather permitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is a whole, whole lot of fun and I'm loving it, but I'd drop some good money for other playable characters, even just as an adventure mode thing.

Basically Ken's Rage 1/2, while not being great games, spoiled me on FotNS games because getting to play Jagi and Toki etc. was cool.