Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I can't tell if Yasuho's ex boyfriend is gonna be important or not because he looks a little ridiculous but not quite ridiculous enough to be important. I guess Araki could fancy up the outfit a bit more if he becomes a good or bad guy.

Also I hope Jojolion ends with Kars, the leader of the Rock Humans, being defeated by being smothered in money by the Milligro Man.

he just seems like some random rear end in a top hat which of course means he has a Stand and will try to kill Josuke with it

e: or he's going to open an elevator to find half a face stuck to the floor mumbling about how incredibly successful it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I can't tell if Yasuho's ex boyfriend is gonna be important or not because he looks a little ridiculous but not quite ridiculous enough to be important. I guess Araki could fancy up the outfit a bit more if he becomes a good or bad guy.

Also I hope Jojolion ends with Kars, the leader of the Rock Humans, being defeated by being smothered in money by the Milligro Man.

I think Part 5 is when you *really* start figuring how important someone is, is all based on how fabulous they are.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dog Kisser posted:

I reread that part of Part 5 where the guys go to the italian restaurant. drat, what a ridiculous, hilarious series this is.

You're gonna have to be specific, Passione goes to a lot of restaurants. :v:

(Let's Eat Italian Food from Part 4 is one of my favorite bits of DiU)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darko posted:

I think Part 5 is when you *really* start figuring how important someone is, is all based on how fabulous they are.

One thing I like about part 4 is that what establishes Kira as evil visually is how distinctly unfabulous he is. He barely even poses.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Kira doesn't need to pose, him being anime David Bowie makes him more fabulous than anyone else in Morioh.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheLoneStar posted:

Kira doesn't need to pose, him being anime David Bowie makes him more fabulous than anyone else in Morioh.

He's like if David Bowie dialed it way way back and became lame, tie aside

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
do you know how hot you have to be to make an all white outfit work and not look like a weird southern gentleman?

the anime gives him a lavender suit which he pulls off even better

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
also found this when i was googling for kira poses and im mad that i laughed at it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

do you know how hot you have to be to make an all white outfit work and not look like a weird southern gentleman?

the anime gives him a lavender suit which he pulls off even better

you have a point, but by jojo standards this is subdued and quaint

Expect My Mom posted:

also found this when i was googling for kira poses and im mad that i laughed at it

the model train set line got me

man I'm glad death note kira died so insanely pathetically, it was amazingly cathartic

good thing the anime didn't try to give him a dignified death for some bizarre reason

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
kira vs josuke is an extrapolated out battle of Class vs Swag

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Does anyone else just stop and appreciate how loving awesome Hayato's character arc was? :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah I really feel like HWMN or really just most translation groups need someone who has an English degree or like, at reads Books to understand how good prose sounds. It's become kind of fun to me try and rewrite some of the more wordy sentences in a more dramatic conversational tone.

I don't want to just dump on HWMN, like I said I'm sure this isnt the worst and I appreciate any JoJo at all, but when even name order isnt in the English order, I really wonder what we're doing here. There was another bit where all the doctors dialogue was written right to left. Not just his speech bubbles but the entire sentence and uhhhh

With what knowledge of the group I have, which is to say some level of privileged knowledge that I don't feel I should share explicitly as to protect those involved, rest assured that a lack of English writing qualifications amongst the group isn't an issue.

It's a matter of sticking to what's already established, being faithful to the text and being obtuse in the face of suggested improvements. I say that with a respect of all involved in the group I think I'm as harsh a critic as they have historically but it's not because I think they're poo poo, it's that it can and should be much better and there's no actual barrier to it being so largely other than being obtuse.

e: isn't an issue. bad typo.
my english skills are an issue

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 19, 2018

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i can't recall ever ever ever seeing a scanlation 'help wanted' ad page going 'hey can someone who's actually really good at english help us fix our poo poo'

nobody seems to care. i keep having impulses to start mailing these people like 'listen i've been writing dialogue for over twenty years let me help you for free out of spite'

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

PringleCreamEgg posted:

He's actually Joshuu in disguise.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just assumed the ex-boyfriend probably got possessed by the good doctor wu after he went down the elevator

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He is a rock
But not I am a rock

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
hey quick question, is there any idea how much longer this arc is gonna go? I noticed its nearing the length SBR was

I am also curious about the next jojo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Magic Part 8 ball says ask again later.

(Genuinely no way of knowing. Memes aside, Araki is getting older, Part 8 could definitely be the last part because they're taking a decade each now)

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I like how Jotaro got hosed by the Rats as a direct consequence of his character.

An enemy stand shoots Josuke with a weird organic-looking bullet, he goes “ew gross” and deflects it with a frying pan.

An enemy stand shoots scholarly, thoughtful biology student Jotaro with a weird organic-looking bullet, he stops time to dodge it, but then is intrigued by it and decides to just briefly examine it and whoops it’s a horrible dissolving poison that works instantaneously.
I guess Star Platinum should have put on latex gloves to avoid contaminating the specimens, and being contaminated in turn.

Night Goat
Oct 24, 2009

BaDandy posted:

Does anyone else just stop and appreciate how loving awesome Hayato's character arc was? :allears:

Yes! I was so drat impressed with that kid! Seriously he went from being a creepy weirdo to someone willing to sacrifice his own life multiple times.

All that without a stand as well. He's pretty much the MVP of the second half of the part.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Night Goat posted:

Yes! I was so drat impressed with that kid! Seriously he went from being a creepy weirdo to someone willing to sacrifice his own life multiple times.

All that without a stand as well. He's pretty much the MVP of the second half of the part.

the "one bomb at a time" reveal he pulled off was pretty cool too

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Plus that finals scene with him and Shinobu sitting with Shinobu waiting for Kosaku to come home, while Hayato knows the truth, is peak :smith:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that sadness was all hayato's fault. if he had kept his mouth shut and loved his new dad like his mom dad, the kawajiris could be a happy family.

honestly hayato having seen a man with his father's face murder two people and then having to live in silence for his entire life never knowing if he or his mom is next is a worse fate than like, angelo tbh

Josuke Higashikata posted:

With what knowledge of the group I have, which is to say some level of privileged knowledge that I don't feel I should share explicitly as to protect those involved, rest assured that a lack of English writing qualifications amongst the group isn't an issue.

It's a matter of sticking to what's already established, being faithful to the text and being obtuse in the face of suggested improvements. I say that with a respect of all involved in the group I think I'm as harsh a critic as they have historically but it's not because I think they're poo poo, it's that it can and should be much better and there's no actual barrier to it being so largely other than being obtuse.

e: isn't an issue. bad typo.
my english skills are an issue
yeah same!

I mean no ill will to the hard working people that allow me to read a manga I like without spending two days with three kanji dictionaries in my lap, it's just that any criticism comes from a place of A Better World Is Possible

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wonder what Hayato did with that tape of the murder

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Yinlock posted:

it's pretty amazing when you think about it

"hah i immediately ended the threat"

"actually not only has the threat not ended but you have explicitly made it a threat until the end of time itself"

Yeah but that was only 11 years later so no biggie

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

that sadness was all hayato's fault. if he had kept his mouth shut and loved his new dad like his mom dad, the kawajiris could be a happy family.

otoh, no more creepy baths and kira constantly inspecting his socks

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I wonder what Hayato did with that tape of the murder

in the SPW vault next to akira's stand arrow and santana

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Anyone remember where Bruno says that Mista would kill anyone who would try to rape him in prison. In his flashback? The translations and the originals use slurs to describe the rapists which give the impression that Mista is homophobic and would just kill a gay guy on sight. Curious how CR will handle that

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i'm pretty sure in the newer translation at least bruno just says he's sure mista would kill "a gay man" in prison, no slurs. which is still a weird thing to say and i know it was like 2000 but i half-doubt davidpro would keep the line, and doubt-even-more that crunchyroll subs would use slurs in that context

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i feel like this newest chapter may have explained holly's brain holes

maybe she was a guinea pig for doctor doctor

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
It just occurred to me, if Avdol is a fortune teller, but his stand is just a dumb Blaziken chicken that shoots ankh-shaped fire, is he just a huckster who has no actual oracular power? He just happens to hang out with an actual fortune teller who only uses his power to take lewd pictures of his grandfather’s bod.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just because we don't see Avdol lusting after his grandpa, doesn't mean he doesn't.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Fortune Tellers exist in jojo apart from stands anyway. There was not-enya in steel ball run and there was that fortune teller in part 5 who got absolutely demolished by Diavolo.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Oh yeah how did I forget about Enya, who was so mystical she figured out some retarded bullshit to scratch the universe.

I’m not even like, mad at part 6s magic plot anymore. I just like complaining about it.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 20, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Enya is ultimately one of the most consequential Jojo characters when you get down to it, it's great.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Imagine if Dio never met Enya and never got a stand. He'd continue thinking he was top poo poo until he got annihilated by the first stand user he pissed off.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
and yet she got taken out by steely dan, the ultimate jobber

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
When Enya met a standless Dio and sensed his great destiny, or was overcome with fear and awe at his sexiness and「 G R A V I T Y」or however she described it in that one scene, how did she convince him to let her shoot him with an arrow, because it would give him superpowers, for realsies scout's honor, but no she has no way of knowing what the superpower is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

When Enya met a standless Dio and sensed his great destiny, or was overcome with fear and awe at his sexiness and「 G R A V I T Y」or however she described it in that one scene, how did she convince him to let her shoot him with an arrow, because it would give him superpowers, for realsies scout's honor, but no she has no way of knowing what the superpower is.

It probably helps that he's a vampire and wouldn't die to just an arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

RatHat posted:

It probably helps that he's a vampire and wouldn't die to just an arrow.
That and she can demonstrate other people gaining stands by shooting them first?