Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Thanks so much.

Someone was going from a 6S and was trying to decide between an X and an X Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Laserface posted:

Man, Wireless charging just doesnt seem like its worth the hassle for anything but maybe my desk at work.

much like wifi vs. ethernet, if it isnt moving constantly, just plug the fucker in.

I love it. Just plop it on when I go to bed and get to work. No fuss no muss. (I have stand ones that aren't finicky.) Unlike Ethernet, your phone is something you will be moving at some point and likely even more often than a laptop.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

It’s actually perfect for at night. That way when I pick it up in the morning I don’t have to worry about pulling on anything.

as someone who has to handle phone calls through the night at times, I would be annoyed if I misaligned it in the dark and woke up to a half charged phone.

I also have a 10ft lightning cable next to the bed so the length isnt a problem.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I bought a wireless charger for my bedside table because I got tired of fishing my Lightning cable out from behind my bed every night. Feels good man

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There is no other way to solve that problem so thank god.

Wireless is cool I use it when hotels and cars have it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I keep my phone plugged in under my pillow or next to it so if it vibrates in the middle of the night it doesnt disturb my partner, and when I unplug in the morning I just tuck the cord under my pillow to keep it there.

it just seems like Wireless charging is a compromise solution for an issue that only existed because it was a feature they could add to a list.

the only way I could see it being useful for me is if they had a wireless charger cradle for my car that also let me use the magnetic mount, which it doesnt seem like is a thing that is possible anyway.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Laserface posted:

the only way I could see it being useful for me is if they had a wireless charger cradle for my car that also let me use the magnetic mount, which it doesnt seem like is a thing that is possible anyway.

They do? Don’t know how well they work. I use a Pro Clip with the lightning cable routed behind the dash because CarPlay.

Also wireless charging rocks. I have next to the bed and in my home office. So I need to charge I just pop it on there for bit and don’t need to gently caress around with cables.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Laserface posted:

I keep my phone plugged in under my pillow or next to it so if it vibrates in the middle of the night it doesnt disturb my partner, and when I unplug in the morning I just tuck the cord under my pillow to keep it there.

it just seems like Wireless charging is a compromise solution for an issue that only existed because it was a feature they could add to a list.

try updating your partner's firmware, they might have tweaked the sensitivity in the last patch

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I am going to be taking in a friend's iphone X for screen replacement. Will I need the password to unlock the phone before they replace it, to prove I didn't steal the phone? (I think the screen is broken enough that inputting password does not work)

nervana fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 20, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nervana posted:

I am going to be taking in a friend's iphone X for screen replacement. Will I need the password to unlock the phone before they replace it, to prove I didn't steal the phone? (I think the screen is broken enough that inputting password does not work)

Probably yes.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
You’ll need to have find my iPhone off and the pin yes.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
My next question is then how do you do this if the screen is broken and input doesn't work?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
You can power the phone off and go to iCloud.com, click on find my iPhone and remove the phone from that list. Also, they won’t need the screen lock code. They just need find my iPhone turned off.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Laserface posted:

Not to be a dick or anything but charging your phone under a pillow seems like fire hazard.

As for wireless charging I have one charging stand at work and another one on my bedside table. For me it’s easier to align the phone on a stand when it’s dark.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I also charge my phone under my pillow as I sleep.

I’ve made my peace, have you?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
nvm

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

bronin posted:

Not to be a dick or anything but charging your phone under a pillow seems like fire hazard.

As for wireless charging I have one charging stand at work and another one on my bedside table. For me it’s easier to align the phone on a stand when it’s dark.

I use a 5w charger and it's usually next to my pillow rather than under it.

I have a 12w charger for my iPad that I use when I need a quick charge.

Wireless charging definitely works for some people but I am too attached to my magnetic car cradle to consider using wireless charging.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

lazer_chicken posted:

Jesus loving Christ how did I just now learn that you can long press the space bar to move the cursor around text. That needs a tooltip or some poo poo.
If your phone has 3D Touch you can force-press any part of the keyboard and it works too. Wondering what's the use case of this though. Doesn't seem much easier than pressing the actual text itself

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Vegetable posted:

If your phone has 3D Touch you can force-press any part of the keyboard and it works too. Wondering what's the use case of this though. Doesn't seem much easier than pressing the actual text itself

The use case is that it’s amazing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fourwood posted:

The use case is that it’s amazing.

If he can't find a use case for wireless charging, trying to convince him of this is pointless.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

If he can't find a use case for wireless charging, trying to convince him of this is pointless.
you might be confusing me with somebody else buddy

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvzWaVvB908

I can't believe that turned out to be true.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Is there a good "case that apple should have made" case for the XR yet? I want a soft, gummy, grippable clear case like the first-party apple cases I've bought for years. Every drat case I've found is hard and therefore slick.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Are you phone-under-pillow dudes putting it in airplane mode, or are you fully embracing the cancer?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

astral posted:

Are you phone-under-pillow dudes putting it in airplane mode, or are you fully embracing the cancer?

How else am I going to get a galaxy brain?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When has Apple ever made a clear case?

E: I guess the 5C cases had holes in to get a polka dot effect?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ProClip has 20% off everything right now. Hell yeah.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FYI if you are subscribed to 1Password they sent out an email giving a free year away to a friend or family member.

I’m definitely getting my dad on this train because im tired of dealing with his password billshit.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

AT&T sent me a nice, informative email about my new iPhone.

Thanks, AT&T!

Ugh points 2 and 4 are really stupid/wrong and point 1 isn’t even good advice, if technically fine. Good job AT&T!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

FYI if you are subscribed to 1Password they sent out an email giving a free year away to a friend or family member.

I’m definitely getting my dad on this train because im tired of dealing with his password billshit.

loving same with my Mom.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
keep rear end still working fine for free on all platforms works for me won't get hacked

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If don’t want to wake someone with an alarm, I imagine some kind of cheap for it exists with a silent alarm.

Or hell, you can probably get a Pebble for like $50 and I know those have vibrate alarms.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

keep rear end still working fine for free on all platforms works for me won't get hacked

Extremely same. It’s not hard to keep the db in sync via iCloud either.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Pants Donkey posted:

Or hell, you can probably get a Pebble for like $50 and I know those have vibrate alarms.

please stop reminding me about my long-dead pebble classic :negative:

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Has anyone sold their X outright? I’m on Sprint with a 64 GB. Any suggestions on what I should ask for price wise? Battery health is at 99 percent after having it since launch, I figure maybe 600 would be fair?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

svenkatesh posted:

Extremely same. It’s not hard to keep the db in sync via iCloud either.

Probably not hard for me but gently caress having to deal with that with my dad if something goes wrong.

He can pay the $35 next year.

roofus619
Dec 7, 2005

Brain eating? Hmmmmm, That's pretty unusual

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Has anyone sold their X outright? I’m on Sprint with a 64 GB. Any suggestions on what I should ask for price wise? Battery health is at 99 percent after having it since launch, I figure maybe 600 would be fair?

That’s what I sold my unlocked 256gb for. I sold it to a friend though so I don’t know if I could’ve gotten more in the open market for it.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Do you not use your phone much? 99% seems impressive for capacity, I'm down to 91% on my launch X.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I’m 92% from getting mine about a month after launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My XS was at 98% and then I did a factory reset and set it up as new and now it says 100% so…