Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Yeah, but it's less that the SR-71 didn't get shot down becuase it couldn't have been, and more because they very carefully didn't fly over the USSR for both political and survivability reasons, and part of the reason it was retired was that it wouldn't have been survivable in a contested environment going forward, and cheaper alternatives existed such that you no longer needed the blackbird. SA-2s over Vietnam != S-200s and S-300s over the USSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, but it's less that the SR-71 didn't get shot down becuase it couldn't have been, and more because they very carefully didn't fly over the USSR for both political and survivability reasons, and part of the reason it was retired was that it wouldn't have been survivable in a contested environment going forward, and cheaper alternatives existed such that you no longer needed the blackbird. SA-2s over Vietnam != S-200s and S-300s over the USSR.

Especially this when it comes to the SR-71. If they'd flown it repeatedly over the USSR in the later days, it'd certainly have been blown out of the sky, even if it cost the USSR a fortune to do. I'm still in awe of the cameras on the thing - "takes picture well inside border while flying well outside it".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, at 80,000 feet you should be able to see for ~500 miles in any direction.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, at 80,000 feet you should be able to see for ~500 miles in any direction.

~346 miles

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

And when they did fly them over places throwing missiles and jets up to shoot them down they didn't fly them along a predictable route. Which was the point, and would make an intercept a lot more challenging than those performed by the Mig-31 in the examples given.

If they had there very likely would have been a shootdown - the S-75 was actually a reasonably capable and long range missile.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

If not the S-75, then a definitely an S-200. It has more than enough kimenatic performance, and an SR-71 probably has about as much maneuverability as the Tu-154, if not less.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
IIRC one of the A-12s got hit by a splinter from a SA-2 when they were doing operational testing over Vietnam.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pursesnatcher posted:

Well obviously they can spot it at those altitudes; it's clearly designed to be stealthy by simply flying below enemy radars.

Who makes a plane that's afraid of heights, anyway?

Howard Hughes did:

https://www.sgvtribune.com/2017/11/02/the-spruce-goose-flew-its-one-legendary-flight-in-long-beach-70-years-ago-today/

The Soviets were also big fan of planes that are afraid of heights:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lun-class_ekranoplan

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC one of the A-12s got hit by a splinter from a SA-2 when they were doing operational testing over Vietnam.

A-12 is literally the MiG-25/31 they wanted. Lob Aim-54s or similar at Russian AWACs from well outside the fighter umbrella and peace out.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

goatsestretchgoals posted:

A-12 is literally the MiG-25/31 they wanted.

Canceled to save money?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I said mig-31 not su-31

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Dandywalken posted:

I never see any difference listed for the interceptor being fully loaded with missiles either. Thats gotta be a few hundred knots when clean is over Mach 3.

The R-60s are on huge pylons and are probably a ... drag to carry around (And most probably why they removed them for SR-71 intercepts), but the R-33s are semi-recessed and partially faired over. That's going to be a lot less draggy than pylon mounts.

EDIT : Also, given that the recon MIG-25 has been clocked at mach 3.2 in 'oh poo poo' mode, and that the 31 has engines producing 50% more thrust, I'm pretty sure drag isn't really the main limiting factor.

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 20, 2018

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I like the MiG-31 because it's a phased array radar mounted onto two giant engines that eat themselves when at full power. Such a straightforward plane with a very specific purpose of going fast and murderizing whatever plane has the misfortune of being target locked. Things like engine life, dogfighting, turning etc. are all secondary.

Also its name reminds me of Metal Gear Solid but that's besides the point.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Don Gato posted:

I like the MiG-31 because it's a phased array radar mounted onto two giant engines that eat themselves when at full power. Such a straightforward plane with a very specific purpose of going fast and murderizing whatever plane has the misfortune of being target locked. Things like engine life, dogfighting, turning etc. are all secondary.

Also its name reminds me of Metal Gear Solid but that's besides the point.

So you are saying it is basically a one-use missile that shoots more missiles?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Valtonen posted:

So you are saying it is basically a one-use missile that shoots more missiles?

You might be interested in this ship that fires a torpedo that launches a missile that then drops a torpedo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3igSY_UAJsk

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A-12 is literally the MiG-25/31 they wanted. Lob Aim-54s or similar at Russian AWACs from well outside the fighter umbrella and peace out.

YF-12. Another reason to dislike McNamara,

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pursesnatcher posted:

Well obviously they can spot it at those altitudes; it's clearly designed to be stealthy by simply flying below enemy radars.

Who makes a plane that's afraid of heights, anyway?

One Weird Trick To Hate FL410
Sponsored Content by Bombardier

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

You might be interested in this ship that fires a torpedo that launches a missile that then drops a torpedo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3igSY_UAJsk

Is that early 90s CGI or IRL sunset?

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

MrYenko posted:

YF-12. Another reason to dislike McNamara,

The YF-12 wouldn't really have been comparable to the MiG-31, and I'm doubtful it would have been too useful of an interceptor had it been built. The A-12 was purpose built for a long range high altitude recon mission, and the YF-12 was conceived of to find some legitimate open USAF purpose for the plane and to rescue the mission of the cancelled XF-108 interceptor. The MiG-25 and 31 were much more practical purpose built interceptors. Both the MiG-25 and the MiG-31 have climb rates about 3.5x higher than the YF-12 had, and the MiG-31 has nearly twice the thrust-to-weight ratio of the YF-12. The MiGs could be scrambled in minutes, and as the previous SR-71 intercept story points out, even then there'd have been little time to spare in intercepting a high speed high altitude aircraft like the SR-71 or more relevantly, the XB-70. It's hard to say what the ready time on the ground would have been because the A-12 and SR-71 were never used that way, but I just don't think the YF-12 could have been where it needed to be in time to be a useful interceptor, and the aircraft was a lot more complicated than a MiG-25. The YF-12's internal weapons carriage meant it could only carry three size-restricted (3m length) GAR-9B/AIM-47 missiles, whereas the MiG-25 could carry four R-40s, at 6m length the largest air-to-air missiles in the world, and by the time of the MiG-31 the much more capable R-33. I don't think the AWACS hunting mission was conceived of until relatively recently, with the MiG-31BM or BSM designed in the 2000s for higher endurance and with a new radar set and the R-37 to go with it.

The YF-12 could certainly have flown a little bit faster, a somewhat higher, and for a lot farther and longer. For that, it traded an almost certainly higher unit cost, less armament, and critically, a much slower response time. There's a reason the Soviets built well over a thousand MiG-25s and then developed a successor and built hundreds of the MiG-31; it was a successful and cost effective platform. The YF-12 wouldn't have been, and had they been built, I suspect they'd have been scrapped or converted back to slightly inferior SR-71s in short order. The YF-12 was proposed because we had the aircraft already, designed to fill a critical need for long range high altitude recon for the US, much as the Soviets ended up making recon versions of the MiG-25 instead of spending the money to design a more capable A-12 analogue that they had limited need for. McNamara was wrong about a few things (the TFX!), but he was absolutely right to kill the useless YF-12 and frankly the whole interceptor program altogether.

Tetraptous fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 20, 2018

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I just stumbled on this video about some veterans from South Africa's Border War in the 70's and 80's. It's from 2007 and mixes historical footage from the conflict with stories and anecdotes from South Africans on all levels, from the Sergeant to the CO of the 32nd Battalion. It's a slice of Cold War from a far-off hot place and it's not for everyone, but I found it engaging and interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYMtvwT6XzM

If there's interest, I've found other videos from the 80s made by a South African reporting on the conflict.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
According to Wikipedia, one of the primary roles for the MiG-31 is shooting down low-flying cruise missiles.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Speaking of interceptors - I've always dreamed of some modern interceptor designed for the USAF. Alas - it doesn't "make sense" but a fast airplane with giant radar and missiles sounds like a dream.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tetraptous posted:

I don't think the AWACS hunting mission was conceived of until relatively recently, with the MiG-31BM or BSM designed in the 2000s for higher endurance and with a new radar set and the R-37 to go with it.

It's been around for decades.

Sperglord posted:

Speaking of interceptors - I've always dreamed of some modern interceptor designed for the USAF. Alas - it doesn't "make sense" but a fast airplane with giant radar and missiles sounds like a dream.

I've got good news!

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Godholio posted:

It's been around for decades.

I'm sure you're right. Looking online, and in the books I have available, I didn't notice any mention of an AWACS-killing mission being a design requirement until the modernized variants of the MiG-31 that were developed in the 2000s, in particular, armed with the R-37. However, the R-37 program went on for a long time, and development started in the 80s, so I'm sure they were thinking about it back then. Certainly, the Soviets likely came up with the idea as soon as they had the means to execute it as another mission for the R-33 on the MiG-31 or even R-40 on the MiG-25, although my impression is that the missiles themselves were designed chiefly to meet a requirement to intercept bombers like the B-1, for the R-33, and the XB-70, for the R-40. The anti-AWACS mission has presumably become more important as intercepting strategic bombers and their air-launched cruise missiles has become less important.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I assume the intro of the E-3 was a big part of it as well, as it seems to coincide with the AWACS mission really blossoming in effectiveness. A quick glance says 77ish. The platforms existed but you basically don’t hear about them in a essential-to-ops way as the E-3s now. At least I never have.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 20, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sperglord posted:

My dude what do you think the f-22 is

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

evil_bunnY posted:

The F-22 is real, and strong, and he's my friend.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

My understanding is that the F-12 would have been scrambled to intercept poo poo that was detected coming over Canada by long range radars up north.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

LostCosmonaut posted:

My understanding is that the F-12 would have been scrambled to intercept poo poo that was detected coming over Canada by long range radars up north.

So you're saying it was a Yankee plot to discredit the heroic Avro Arrow?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Zorak of Michigan posted:

the avro was a chump, saying it here and now

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Can't discredit something that doesn't exist.

:canada:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah. The newest AMRAAMs are even sporting a range similar to the Phoenix.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Expand for huge

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

evil_bunnY posted:

An Air Superiority fighter, high-G maneuverability and not impractically fast. Think of it as a design with excessive speed and ridiculous radar/missiles more than balanced capability.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

Expand for huge

K-1200, yes!
S-67, oh yes!

But... where's the Cheyenne?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Tetraptous posted:

K-1200, yes!
S-67, oh yes!

But... where's the Cheyenne?

And the Hughes XH-17?!

Probably because it never went past the prototype. Whatever.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Speaking of Raptors, the report on the one that failed to take off at Nellis is out, and it's pilot error. Early rotation, early lift off, early gear up, plane settled back onto the runway, as it lacked the speed to maintain altitude.

Report notes that these issues are common among the force, but are worse at higher altitude (i.e. Nellis vs F-22 training bases).

Oops.

another image for image gods

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Trying to summon dark lord Dahir Insaat I see.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

joat mon posted:

Probably because it never went past the prototype. Whatever.
The Comanche is on there, and it never went past prototype.

If we want to talk prototypes, where's the Mil V12?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sperglord posted:

An Air Superiority fighter, high-G maneuverability and not impractically fast. Think of it as a design with excessive speed and ridiculous radar/missiles more than balanced capability.

Well, in a practical way the F-22 is "faster" than the Mig-31 thanks to not needing to light up the afterburners and slash its range in half to maintain supersonic speed. Yeah, you can't do a Mach 3 dash while simultaneously destroying your engines (probably) but you'll reach the target faster and further outside of that - not even much slower in a not-destroying-your-engines burn-to-target situation. The RADAR is also pretty drat powerful on the F-22 and, as previously mentioned, the current gen AMRAAM has a ~100 mile range.

Don't hate on it just because it can also do the turning thing.

AlexanderCA posted:

Trying to summon dark lord Dahir Insaat I see.

You can see the cargo container sneaking up on them if you squint just right.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 21, 2018