Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

CIG never did steal cryengine, they actual ripped off PowerPoint.

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://clips.twitch.tv/AdorableAmericanFerretAsianGlow

lol

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kosani posted:

I didn't read all 5446 pages of the thread, is the consensus that people are actually playing the game now and is it worth trying out?

Yes, but don’t spring for anything less than a $500 ship, and be ready for that 2020s release date.

Edit: hurry, hurry, the price of ingame items -always- goes up over time.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 20, 2018

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Amazing Zimmo posted:

beta cuck soyboy SJW's ruining my video games with girls and their cooties :mad:

I wonder what he'll do when CIG finally put female avatars in the game? I'd love to see him freak out when a hot lady commando comes up to him and out of her mouth comes a voice deeper than Barry White's.

They'll be able to "Press E to give Blowjob", "Press E to make sandwich" and or "Press E to be captured". Thankfully CIG is super advanced and the E button is context sensitive, because women aren't that smart and we can't let them press the wrong button at the wrong time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

Yes, but don’t spring for anything less than a $500 ship, and be ready for that 2020s release date.

Edit: hurry, hurry, the price of ingame items -always- goes up over time.

:eyepoop:

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Amazing Zimmo posted:

beta cuck soyboy SJW's ruining my video games with girls and their cooties :mad:

I wonder what he'll do when CIG finally put female avatars in the game? I'd love to see him freak out when a hot lady commando comes up to him and out of her mouth comes a voice deeper than Barry White's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqxpVidzIR4

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hey, i’ve been following the most transparent development ever, and like bitcoin it’s a solid investment for the future.

Meanwhile, https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-20-fallout-76-review-a-bizarre-boring-and-broken-mess.

I agree with this. The Grafton monster cheese is amazing; murderize the superutants in the police station and you have an elevated position. It becomes trivial. Bethesda have a problem if this is the basis for starfield.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
LOL
https://clips.twitch.tv/BoldFreezingWombatSmoocherZ
https://clips.twitch.tv/PreciousBadNeanderthalNinjaGrumpy

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 20, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

You know how no matter how many idealistic people come up with utopian ideals like "everyone has potential, everyone is equal, love one another all things are great" etc. Guys like this are why those ideas don't work, and illustrates why some people always wind up at the bottom, no matter how hard the rest of us try to help them up.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

this unironically whips rear end lol

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

Hey, i’ve been following the most transparent development ever, and like bitcoin it’s a solid investment for the future.

Meanwhile, https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-20-fallout-76-review-a-bizarre-boring-and-broken-mess.

I agree with this. The Grafton monster cheese is amazing; murderize the superutants in the police station and you have an elevated position. It becomes trivial. Bethesda have a problem if this is the basis for starfield.

I still think it's amazing that big publications have no problem making GBS threads on Bethesda games like that, but plucky little outfit CIG is only ever handled with kid gloves, despite (apparently) having collected 200 million of backer funds over 6 years while openly (and sometimes secretly) spending some of it on frivolous crap and only barely making GBS threads out an utterly broken mess that's only good for screenshot albums, while selling macrotransaction that put even EA to shame.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

You didn't ask for it, but I filmed my first attempt at playing 3.3.5 anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhHOKXRLInU

It's jpegs all the way down.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Trip Report: 3.3.5 First Attempt, Attempt Number 2

I spawned at Lorville again, loins girded for what would be my challenge for the evening: Get to my ship, fly it somewhere - anywhere! - other than where I was. Big props to whoever decided to spawn every player at Lorville now, I absolutely love the lack of convenience and terrible framerates that come along with it. No idea if flying back to Port O will let me log out and stay there or not, but I'm gonna try.

After going through the wankpod routine, I spent a fair few minutes running around the area outside my 'hab' trying to figure out where to go. The big thing labeled "ELEVATOR" was still see-through and I was determined not to fall through the geometry this time. It turns out the elevator you are supposed to use is a much smaller unlabeled elevator on the second floor. I took a moment to reflect on how the only thing I know about game development is that your players should know or be easily able to figure out where to go. I have much to learn.

The elevators themselves are fuckin weird, too. There's no confirmation that you've hit the (often fairly easy to miss) button, and the ride, much like Star Citizen, seems to go on for just a little too long. I know that riding in elevators can sometimes be boring, but I can't help but feel maybe they should have written in a 'whatever-whatever machine' that somehow advanced their elevator technology far into the future. A minor complaint, given what was to come.

Lorville itself... well it loving sucks. I don't really know how else to put it. Their attempts to make a "realistic city" and to adhere to the Firefly/Space Junk aesthetic have led to some astonishingly poor level design. Very little about traveling through Lorville on foot is intuitive, and the rub here is that it isn't really interesting either. For all its sins, something like Grand Theft Auto V at least makes getting lost interesting, something which Star Citizen can't seem to achieve (unless you find pushing static guards out of position and down hallways interesting). There are a myriad of offices, bars, "workers only" areas, and other places to 'explore' - if you feel you can use that term - but they all have the feel of absolute window dressing, as through they were added as an afterthought. A stroll through Lorville may start off as grand adventure but almost immediately devolves into ugly tedium.

After meandering through Lorville, I made my way to the train station, or rather the part of the train station that goes where I want it I guess? Here I was joined by some friendly commandos. One of them must have had a crime stat, because I heard guards shooting at him as he barreled into the train. The train ride actually didn't feel very long, but that's not really high praise for something that didn't need to exist in the first place. I'm sure the second time I have to watch ugly textures jet by while I stand motionless for the sake of "fidelity" I might not feel the same way.

I didn't explore the spaceport much, It was full of the same lifeless mannequins the rest of the city had (and there were some NPCs there too! :rimshot:), but I did accidentally follow some guy to his Constellation. He seemed upset, so I let him be and went back downstairs. Finding the ship retrieval consoles that I had walked right past earlier, I called my ship and headed off to good old landing pad 7. Again, the elevators didn't seem like they were working, you just wait for an interminable amount of time and then the door opens and you go "Oh, I guess it worked" which seems like something you'd want to fix to me, but what do I know. The hangars are enclosed, and the roof opens up to let you out, but I guess I did things in the wrong order. I fired up my Mustang, lifted off, and then remembered I had to ask for permission to launch using my wrist computer rather than any kind of on-board comms screen because Star Citizen is a collection of the worst, most infuriating game ideas known to man. Unfortunately when I tried, the only person in my contacts was the Lorville Landing Operator guy, who told me several times to land and report to customs so I could enter Lorville. "But I want out of this miserable idiot-trap," I yelled, to no avail. The Landing Officer started to tell me that I was blocking a landing pad, which was a criminal offense, but halfway through his spiel I fell through the bottom of the level (somehow, despite being seated in my hovering spaceship) and enjoyed the classic "looking up through the bottom of the geometry forever until I hit the point where I finally die" gameplay loop of Star Citizen. With that, I woke up back in my wank pod and logged off for the night.

Well I guess I don't need to do a write-up for 3.3.5 because you have perfectly captured what I would have written, excellent work

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

LOL, i'll take a hard pass on that pledge thanks.

By the way, whoever has control of the goon org for SC, send me an invite.

AFAIK nobody does, I think Beer's the last surviving org member

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wow, it's not a scam any more. This guy is a total Rimmer. Incredibly incredibly brave and tons and tons of girlfriends.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

The next suggested video after hitting this link - "Anniversary 2018 Guide Part 5 - Four Great ships Below $250"

Just...:wtc:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Not content with unequivocally losing the first Star Citizen vs EVE Online Shitposting War, backers are trying again:

:black101:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

Not content with unequivocally losing the first Star Citizen vs EVE Online Shitposting War, backers are trying again:

It's like these people don't actually understand what makes EVE fun for people.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

"The Game Is Good" I proclaim, thereby making it good forever

"It's really good you guys you have no idea" I say to the seven people still waiting for the game to be good

"Games don't have sell by dates if they're still working on this in twenty years it'll probably blow me away" I say, eyeing my twitch viewer counts and wondering if I should switch to Fortnite now, or wait for the inevitable expansion pack in a year.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Quavers posted:

Elite has been at risk of haemorrhaging its players to Star Citizen "any day now" for quite literally 6 loving years.

Next patch guys. The next patch is the one that'll show everyone. All the naysayers will bow down in awe. Wars will stop and stock markets will crash as everyone in the universe jumps on board the Star Citizen bandwagon. Just you wait!

CIG is on another level alright. Their marketing material is like catnip for overly credulous naive loving morons.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

A llama's rear end?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Store Citizer: STANDING IN BLOOD (THEIR BLOOD) AND SWEAT (MY SWEAT)

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 20, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Win Amp?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon posted:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Star Citizen: Intentionally Buggy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I love the irony...

If CIG's creative/innovating/never been done before tech was released to where other studios could license and utilize it...it would collapse the PC gaming market more dense then a neutron star.

Hail to Robert's, for the one that set out to save PC gaming.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Me: Here's an unedited video of what playing Star Citizen looked like for me last night

:reddit:: Yeah but he intentionally makes it look bad!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Me: Here's an unedited video of what playing Star Citizen looked like for me last night

:reddit:: Yeah but he intentionally makes it look bad!

You should tell him you unintentionally do that and watch his brain explode.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I noticed the cultists act like we've invested thousands of dollars into Star Citizen not coming out, and if/when it does we'll be done for.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Jim DiGriz posted:

That's... that's a joke site, right? Kudos to them, looks like the real deal, though the joke falls flat - it's way too out there to work as a parody.
That's our go-to for ridiculous "plans" (no such move has ever been made at implementing this) as a game. I would, unironically, play an "Airline Manager" game because trying to figure out the type of service you can offer while balancing amenities for space might actually be a fun game -- which has plenty enough going on as a gameplay concept to require the work of a modestly-sized studio to implement as it stands. Of course since Crobbers can't say "no" to a half-baked idea it spins out of control and this is supposedly a tiny mini-game in the sprawling universe simulator Star Citizen. Note he didn't quote the bit about literal space bureaucracy like bidding on routes, applying for licenses, etc. Somehow this is all going to get programmed for the five people who want to play space flight stewards.

Meanwhile people fall out of their ships and die. Guess we won't be needing that Hairy Roberts after all!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What the gently caress is a Hairy Roberts anyways? Has it been it been covered in the lore.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Lethality of SC? LOL I thought that was Lethality

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol I appear to have touched a nerve

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipz4zK0STl0

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

lol I appear to have touched a nerve

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipz4zK0STl0

WARNING: LOUD

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Titanic posted:

I hope my posting here continues to destroy whatever Star Citizen apparently is or is not, depending on whom you ask.

I've never played Eve more than a week when I discovered it was painfully boring. I'm not in goonswarm. :)

Also, unfortunately, there are no logs of where goons tried to force CIG to make them be all powerful in the game because they simply don't exist (well probably, I'm sure some goon was crazy somewhere).

The "big exodus" was mostly when Beer4TheBeerGod, who had dedicated more time and energy into trying to help the game be better by explaining complex things very carefully, such as flight updates and combat fixes (not so he could win at fighting, but so the game as a whole was more fun and exciting), slowly came to realize the leadership was actually not trying to make a fun game, but control the social media around it.

The exodus happened mostly around the time CIG decided they could "concern" anything they didn't like, and continued to pump out graphics without actually going back and fixing anything, and each week or two CR would go on camera and make hilariously impossible promises to people so they would spend money.

Beer made the 104TBG things where he converted CRs ramblings into comical diatribes like a Warhammer Ork, and it became more exciting than CRs actual content.

Eventually though, this culmination lead to a split between Beer, who had many friends on SA, and other people. In all their wisdom, CIG continued to censor their forums, took them offline to their Spectrum hidey hole, and helped to construct a rift between the two groups because Ben loved to have conflict and was the worst possible choice as a public service agent, much less their leader.

Along this path, Derek also joined in; but he did not originate Beer's concerns as those two agencies were not remotely working in conjunction with each other until much later. Derek was actually banned still from SA because of other issues he had prior to SC.

The only thing CIG refused to do was:
1: Allow and foster open communication about the state and future of their game
2: Make positive changes to their game, instead opting to sell lies, concepts, and dreams to people

Beer4TheBeerGod was not the even the first goon to see this, as there were others. But he was certainly the most vocal and public, well known for being incredibly logical and friendly and helpful. This rift, according to backers, had to be vilified because it is impossible that somebody like Beer who was helpful and considerate and smart was also a dirty goon.

So roughly maybe two years ago certain members of the reddit troop have begun to disseminate that it was actually CR whom took some kind of a moral high ground and denied goons the ability to control the game. Unfortunately this event never took place, there are no records of it, and the only things you may find would be where CIG customer service agents were taking hostile matters and handling them badly. Most of these are, obviously, deleted because that is what CIG does; they delete whatever they don't like, and still do this even today.

So ultimately this has lead to people fearful of critical thought, and when they do attempt it, it comes with a very healthy paragraph or so blurb about how "I am a huge supporter and have been and I love SC and CR and I love the game and... but..!" And the but is their tiny vial of actual thought.

I hope this helps! :)

This makes me out to be far less of an rear end in a top hat than I really am.

Sarsapariller posted:

AFAIK nobody does, I think Beer's the last surviving org member

That account was banned.