Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

A very small BWM story but a coworker asked me if my credit card was with a brick and mortar bank. I use Capital One, which doesn't really have them and I told him so. He said he loved being able to have a relationship with his bankers. I told him I couldn't remember the last time I needed the services of an in-person banker. He said it was very nice to be able to stop into a Chase branch whenever, that he knew all of the bankers there by name and they knew my coworker. I asked why he needed to stop into the bank so often to speak to a banker. He said they could just pop in whenever to get any fees removed from his account. I asked him where the fees were coming from. He said from the bank.

I couldn't bring myself to say anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

One of my coworkers today was explaining that they finally finished trying to get a new car with fewer miles and lower their monthly payment. She had about 95,000 miles on her current car.

She ended up going to a bunch of websites and dealerships to try and find something with fewer miles and lower payments. Then, when she couldn't find any for a while, she got frustrated and just decided to buy one from the dealership with fewer miles because she was committed to the idea and the time she spent on it.

She ended up trading in her car for a used car from a dealership with 88,000 miles on it, rolled her negative equity into this new car (I don't know how much, but she said that she got $4,000 credit for the trade-in, which was a 2014 Ford Escape, and rolled the rest of the loan into the new loan), and got a new 6-year loan with the same monthly payments.

She was also praised as smart for doing this by my boss because she has the same monthly payments, but 7,000 fewer miles. This is the same boss who went to get her car serviced at the dealership and ended up leaving with "a free upgrade" to the 2018 model of her car, where basically the same thing happened.

She has 30 days to return it and I gently suggested she might want to do that. But, my boss jumped in and said, "Why would she do that? She got lower miles with the same cost. I did the the same thing and it worked out fine."

I just left it.

I found a used car in my coworker's price range to help him out (Corolla, low mileage) and he said "...but it's not black :(" and ended up going to a buy here/pay here lot and getting scammed

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Apparently, there is a new feature on Facebook that lets you open a store or sell things through Facebook.

My friend the #Bogwitch has opened her own store on there to sell her tinctures. There's a big sale going on because November is a vibrationally significant month.

The sale price for a 4 oz homeopathic tincture is $82.

She has sold 179 so far according to her page. This is GWM for her, but BWM for 179 people.

Note: It is a homeopathic tincture. That means it is water.

You can also book her band through the marketplace.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

I found a used car in my coworker's price range to help him out (Corolla, low mileage) and he said "...but it's not black :(" and ended up going to a buy here/pay here lot and getting scammed
You know what they say: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him not think of ants and die.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Apparently, there is a new feature on Facebook that lets you open a store or sell things through Facebook.

My friend the #Bogwitch has opened her own store on there to sell her tinctures. There's a big sale going on because November is a vibrationally significant month.

She has sold 179 so far according to her page. This is GWM for her, but BWM for 179 people.

Ok, what kind of numerology is involved here with processing the dates into 11/1 sequences?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Was this discussed?

https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-us/magazine/money-diary-couple-debt-us

quote:

I’m Kate. I’m 46. I have a law degree. I don’t practice law though. When I got pregnant with our first, I took the highest-paying job I could find that still allowed me to stay home and be close to my kids when they were growing up. So I work for an insurance company, paying claims. I make about $70,000 a year.

quote:

My name is Tom. I have a graduate degree in advertising. I’m 48 and I’m an insurance claims manager. I earn about $90,000 a year doing that, but I also work a second job as a bartender a couple times a week catering in private homes. I make between $100 and $250 a night doing that.

quote:

We have an insurmountable amount of debt. I’m not even exactly sure how much it is anymore. We have $60,000 in credit cards, $18,000 in a loan, and then there’s our mortgage and the second mortgage we took out, which is about $360,000 all together. And that’s not even counting our student loans. How much are those, Tom? Are you at home? Can you look it up?

They seem fine.

quote:

We built the house we’re in now in 2007. It’s a great house. But I knew from the beginning it was a stretch. It was the freewheeling times, and so they would do anything to get you into a house. They gave us a second mortgage that I’m paying right along with the original mortgage. We’ve refinanced the first mortgage a little bit, but we can never refinance it all together into one because it’s way too much. The house cost $360,000, and we have mortgages for just about $360,000.

quote:

The sticker price on the school is $32,000 a year, so it would be $96,000 if we paid full price. But we have a good deal — we’ll pay $15,000 for the three of them. But, of course, it’s all going back on credit. There’s a company that offers educational loans for private school.

Build your dream house for your 3 kids but don't bother to look into the public schools.

quote:

We’re always broke. We shop at Goodwill. We have a garden so that we can have fresh vegetables instead of going out and having a decent meal somewhere. We don’t have fancy things in our house at all. But we do spend a lot of money on food. Like a huge amount. Organic and vegan this and that. Insane amounts on fresh produce. It would not kill our kids to eat a sleeve of ramen noodles every once in a while. Our kids are used to sushi. On a Friday night, we’ll go to Whole Foods, and my son Luke will get a $15 thing of sushi and a smoothie. It’s kind of crazy that we haven’t reeled this in.

I mean, I support feeding your kids fresh stuff but you can do that without spending all that much. Maybe you shouldn't prioritize organic food over your crippling debt.

quote:

Like, when my son went to prom, we didn’t rent a tux because we didn’t have the cash, but we bought a suit because we have a Nordstrom card.
:lol:

Honestly I'm only like 1/3 the way through

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Ashcans posted:

Ok, what kind of numerology is involved here with processing the dates into 11/1 sequences?

November 1, 2018 = November (11th month), 1, 2+0+1+8 = 11,1,11

10 is 1+0 or 1, 28 is 2+8 = 10, which is 1+0 and so on :downs:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

One of my coworkers today was explaining that they finally finished trying to get a new car with fewer miles and lower their monthly payment. She had about 95,000 miles on her current car.

She ended up going to a bunch of websites and dealerships to try and find something with fewer miles and lower payments. Then, when she couldn't find any for a while, she got frustrated and just decided to buy one from the dealership with fewer miles because she was committed to the idea and the time she spent on it.

She ended up trading in her car for a used car from a dealership with 88,000 miles on it, rolled her negative equity into this new car (I don't know how much, but she said that she got $4,000 credit for the trade-in, which was a 2014 Ford Escape, and rolled the rest of the loan into the new loan), and got a new 6-year loan with the same monthly payments.

She was also praised as smart for doing this by my boss because she has the same monthly payments, but 7,000 fewer miles. This is the same boss who went to get her car serviced at the dealership and ended up leaving with "a free upgrade" to the 2018 model of her car, where basically the same thing happened.

She has 30 days to return it and I gently suggested she might want to do that. But, my boss jumped in and said, "Why would she do that? She got lower miles with the same cost. I did the the same thing and it worked out fine."

I just left it.

Did she say how much time she had left on the first loan? If it was 6 years then this might have worked out.

I'm going to guess it was 2 years.

Holy poo poo, I just realized when you said she had a $4k credit that wasn't $4k in equity.

Lockback posted:

OMG all those quotes are from the same couple!?!

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 20, 2018

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bad With Money 2018: Our kids are used to sushi

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Krispy Wafer posted:

OMG all those quotes are from the same couple!?!

Yeah it's a discussion, and honestly there's a bunch more but it was already going long.

quote:

Tom: We got two rescue dogs, and everything was fine for a couple years, and then we had to put one down. We didn’t have the money for it. So it ended up going on a card. But I don’t drive a new car. I have a 2012 Toyota Corolla. I leased it new. It had some minor damage on it — just a broken mirror — and I’m not sure what they would have charged for that. So, instead, I just kept it after the lease. I pay a huge interest rate on it, but...

Kate: I didn’t know that, Tom.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

my friend was a backend webmaster dude and was telling about a site that would sell dogshit like "love potions to make him fall in love" and we bullshitted but half seriously talked about making an app to cut out the middleman. I think we should revisit that

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Ran across this on reddit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-risking-it-uninsured-family/

Family with $100k post tax income crippled by health insurance costs of 15% their income, not mysterious 50-60% "other" expense category which appears to be $2-3k a month in car payments. Also they seem to go out of their way to avoid any college health insurance plans.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Do people in other countries love cars as much as Americans do?

And Canada doesn't count because they somehow love stupid expensive trucks even more than people in the States.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

A very small BWM story but a coworker asked me if my credit card was with a brick and mortar bank. I use Capital One, which doesn't really have them and I told him so. He said he loved being able to have a relationship with his bankers. I told him I couldn't remember the last time I needed the services of an in-person banker. He said it was very nice to be able to stop into a Chase branch whenever, that he knew all of the bankers there by name and they knew my coworker. I asked why he needed to stop into the bank so often to speak to a banker. He said they could just pop in whenever to get any fees removed from his account. I asked him where the fees were coming from. He said from the bank.

I couldn't bring myself to say anything else.

Paying bank fees is BWM but the retail banking industry is stacked up to extract maximum fees out of people who can least afford them so there's that.

Personally in my line of work I require a lot of witnessed and notarized documents and the reason I go to the bank branch is primarily for that kind of thing, it is free and useful. Also less commonly things like wire transfers or whatever which are possible to do over the phone or by email but ultimately simpler to just go to the bank branch.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Krispy Wafer posted:

And Canada doesn't count because they somehow love stupid expensive trucks even more than people in the States.

No, but North American infrastructure is built around the idea of encouraging personal vehicle ownership.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

No, but North American infrastructure is built around the idea of encouraging personal vehicle ownership.
Everything is so loving spread out you basically have to own a car if you don't live in an urban center with good public transit.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Harry posted:

Family with $100k post tax income crippled by health insurance costs of 15% their income, not mysterious 50-60% "other" expense category which appears to be $2-3k a month in car payments. Also they seem to go out of their way to avoid any college health insurance plans.
Another table breaks it out into utilities, groceries, other insurance, debt payments, and transportation. Looks like about 4-4.5k/month.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

You would have had to quote the whole thing because holy poo poo

More bitcoin for the thread. It's wonderful that the internet has developed more currencies for people to be bad with (sorry if some of these are repeats):

https://twitter.com/charliebilello/status/1064864525952958464

https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1064887391658418181

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1064912184822648832

https://twitter.com/CryptoMessiah/status/1064505732991778822

https://twitter.com/tomas_btc/status/1064698287071129600

The price of the coins dropping is one thing, what I'm really looking forward to is the drama when Tether finally breaks down.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Oh my God

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1064875576035561472

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Harry posted:

Further down there’s a graphic that breaks down their monthly budget. It separates out car debt, college, and mortgage with a separate mysterious “debt payments” category for $2k/month. But then a few paragraphs down it says they have nothing but $20k left on the mortgage. Sooooo they lease cars and what’s the mystery debt?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Krispy Wafer posted:

germans

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Lockback posted:

Yeah it's a discussion, and honestly there's a bunch more but it was already going long.

this is amazing

quote:

Tom: I don’t let it get to me that way. But I was pretty upset about the 401(k) situation. I think it was our demise. Two years ago I thought the answer to all our problems was cashing out my 401(k). It came out to be around $70,000, and I paid off three cards with it, and I also paid off the $12,000 loan I’d taken using the 401(k) as collateral. I thought, This is great. We had money for a brief period of time, so we had a pretty good Christmas that year. I knew there would be tax penalties, but unfortunately the penalties were more than I thought, and we ended up owing $18,000 to the IRS and $2,000 to the state.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

OctaviusBeaver posted:

this is amazing

quote:

Tom: I don’t let it get to me that way. But I was pretty upset about the 401(k) situation. I think it was our demise. Two years ago I thought the answer to all our problems was cashing out my 401(k). It came out to be around $70,000, and I paid off three cards with it, and I also paid off the $12,000 loan I’d taken using the 401(k) as collateral. I thought, This is great. We had money for a brief period of time, so we had a pretty good Christmas that year. I knew there would be tax penalties, but unfortunately the penalties were more than I thought, and we ended up owing $18,000 to the IRS and $2,000 to the state.
If only there were some way to prevent this from happening. Oh well, better spend a bunch of money on Christmas.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

howdoesishotweb posted:

Further down there’s a graphic that breaks down their monthly budget. It separates out car debt, college, and mortgage with a separate mysterious “debt payments” category for $2k/month. But then a few paragraphs down it says they have nothing but $20k left on the mortgage. Sooooo they lease cars and what’s the mystery debt?

:sadcoke:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is there any modern example of a currency being revalued? Like, literally any precedent?

The linked social media bits sound exactly like I imagine the inner monologue of an audience member of one of those Jim Bakker seminars

https://twitter.com/Brinkley88/status/946188373882036224

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This can't be real. They keep hitting every tree branch on the way down.

Would a couple making $170k a year even get income based deferrals on their student loans or discount private school? This is some kind of cautionary tale that is way exaggerated to make a point. Because otherwise one of them will try to fake their own death for the insurance.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

Is there any modern example of a currency being revalued? Like, literally any precedent?

The linked social media bits sound exactly like I imagine the inner monologue of an audience member of one of those Jim Bakker seminars

https://twitter.com/Brinkley88/status/946188373882036224

like officially? Cuz Zimbabwe dollars were quite the must have novelty AND are no longer being printed so the 100 trillion bill I bought off a goon for 20 bucks back in college is going for 90+ now!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Ellipson posted:

https://twitter.com/tomas_btc/status/1064698287071129600

The price of the coins dropping is one thing, what I'm really looking forward to is the drama when Tether finally breaks down.

I love this guy, 'bitcoins ruined my life, please give me more bitcoins'. Maybe beg for real currency this time?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ashcans posted:

I love this guy, 'bitcoins ruined my life, please give me more bitcoins'. Maybe beg for real currency this time?

look man are you gonna help him dollar cost average or not

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I changed my mind, Tom from that article is actually my favorite guy:

quote:

Kate: OK, but that’s not how you can live your life. You know? You can’t just ignore this.

Tom: I can, and I have!

Are we sure that Tom isn't also Tomas from bitcoin? That would be perfect.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/felixsalmon/status/1064877220487938050

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Getting rich by buying Iraqi dinars was an email scam going around since like, 2003.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Lockback posted:

Was this discussed?

https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-us/magazine/money-diary-couple-debt-us

They seem fine.

Build your dream house for your 3 kids but don't bother to look into the public schools.

I mean, I support feeding your kids fresh stuff but you can do that without spending all that much. Maybe you shouldn't prioritize organic food over your crippling debt.

:lol:

this is real loving sad, yes they are living in a bed that they've made but also they are depressed and miserable and can't sleep and the wife wants a divorce but they can't afford it, they can't even be in the same room together when talking about their money problems.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ironically, with the Iran deal, their economy had some healthy chance to grow and bring their economy up, which would in turn raise the value of the dinar. Not back to its previous value, but probably enough for them to at least recoup their "investments".

But then, you know, Trump.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea the whole thing gets pretty grim there in the final turn:

quote:

Kate: Frankly, what I imagine is one of us will die from stress, and the life insurance will pay things off.

Tom: Yeah, we have good life insurance. We’re better off dead.

Kate: Right. [Laughter.] Things have gotten really hard, but I don’t think we could even afford to get a divorce. We certainly can’t afford to live apart. I mean, it’s cheaper for us to stay married. We don’t have a divorce option. The only time I have actually considered divorce, I’ve thought, Tom is not going to let me file for bankruptcy, and I can’t live like this. So we may need to get a divorce so I can help myself. [Crying.] That’s why I left the house before this phone call, because I did not want to be at home with the kids and with him, because I just didn’t know if I could keep it together. The kids don’t know anything about this stuff.

Tom: To be fair, we do try to save money where we can. We had a lease on a minivan that was costing us $405 a month that we just downsized to a $208 car.

His wife is breaking down crying over wanting to divorce because of the strangling debt, and he just moves right on to 'well we cut $200 on our lease' without even addressing it. :stare:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Power of Pecota posted:

There's one you might have heard of, it's called the yuan.

(Yes, there are plenty of modern examples of a currency being revalued. We've discussed Venezuela in this thread.)

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Ashcans posted:

Yea the whole thing gets pretty grim there in the final turn:

His wife is breaking down crying over wanting to divorce because of the strangling debt, and he just moves right on to 'well we cut $200 on our lease' without even addressing it. :stare:

Right above that:

quote:

Kate: The guy next to us, who has built our whole neighbourhood, has probably filed for bankruptcy 20 times!
Bet he hasn't Kate! The husband is right here, because it's obvious declaring bankruptcy they'll just run up all the debt again.

Harry fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 20, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

Ironically, with the Iran deal, their economy had some healthy chance to grow and bring their economy up, which would in turn raise the value of the dinar. Not back to its previous value, but probably enough for them to at least recoup their "investments".

But then, you know, Trump.

Yeah, no one will ever revalue it in any way that'd help dumbass American speculators. What they'll do is trade out old currency for new script, which means your next-to-worthless money is worth slightly more for about a day (see: Venezuela). But I think they make you do that in person. The Iraqi government isn't going to bend over backwards to help foreign currency speculators.

I think Soros got most of his early hatred because he was a currency speculator who made bushels while others lost everything. So sure, it makes perfect sense that Trump supporters would want to be mini-Soro's. Why not.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, no one will ever revalue it in any way that'd help dumbass American speculators. What they'll do is trade out old currency for new script, which means your next-to-worthless money is worth slightly more for about a day (see: Venezuela). But I think they make you do that in person. The Iraqi government isn't going to bend over backwards to help foreign currency speculators.

I think Soros got most of his early hatred because he was a currency speculator who made bushels while others lost everything. So sure, it makes perfect sense that Trump supporters would want to be mini-Soro's. Why not.

Ohh, actually, I misread and was thinking it was an Iranian currency, not Iraqi.

Yeah, nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That Kate and Tom bullshit is probably the worst BWM I've read in a very long time. Pretty loving disgusting behavior and attitude..